main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(loser) Anakin vs. Anakin(strongest jedi ever)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by yoshifett, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, I guess you can have that opinion, but it's clear from the novelization, which was closely monitored by lucas, as well as LOE, that Dooku was told to fight Skywalker full power, and he would "join them or die" so to speak. This scene is all about showing Anakin's power.

2. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    per the novel Dooku was instructed to fight all out, but IMO he didn't out of arrogance.....

when he did wise up to the fact that he was in over his head with an opponent more than capable of beating him.......it was too late.....in more ways than one

3. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    He was told to fight all out, but you know how arrogant he was.

4. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Regardless of the extent of Dooku's "killer instinct" in this scene, I don't think he planned on holding back to the extent of getting his hands chopped off.

This is Anakin's moment to shine.

5. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    lol....of that Master Yoshifett we are in TOTAL agreement

6. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    why dont you 2 get a room?

7. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
  8. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    the xyz affair? what?

9. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    For god's sake, let's just take that scene for what it was... Anakin finally showing some raw power. It's the only evidence we have of it.

10. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    I love you too Maynard :p

11. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    you guys are starting to scare me...

12. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Starting, Halfwits? You do know you're on a Star Wars message board, right :-B

13. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    oh yeah we're all freaks here!! hahah maybe I was just jealous of not getting any love Yoshi.:_|

14. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Let get back on topic.

I think if we look at the fight objectively, we can see that Dooku is fighting to his full potential. He's not pulling punches. He's able to handle battle-hardened Obi-Wan and Anakin at the same time, yet again. And yet again, it's Anakin that has to save his master.

But this time, Anakin doesn't lose his arm, he cuts Dooku to shreads. I'd still say it's not through the darkside that Anakin is able to dominate Dooku. Instead, he wants to protect Obi-Wan. He's protecting his master and friend, not to mention that he thinks he's protecting his "mentor" Palpatine.

This is not just a slaughter, he's using his power to protect others, the definition of a Jedi.

I heartedly agree

15. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    I totally agree with you Yoshi, dooku is still a powerful swordsman maybe second to Mace windu (if you use EU terms which I tend to stay away from). Anakin handedly defeats Dooku focusing his skill and not giving into fear. Until of course he cuts his head off, which really isn't giving into to fear but more into the darkside and the pressure of good old palps.

16. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah, the head chop is definately dark side all the way. It's pretty obvious that Palpatine is starting to really get inside his head here. He looks very conflicted.

Anakin was able to swing a saber more effectively than any Jedi ever here; it pretty amazing to behold. I wasn't looking forward to this scene as much as the other duel, but it surprised me. I was shoked that Anakin was that good. Dooku looked like a padawan during some portions of that fight, retreating and trying to do something to hold off Anakin's furious and powerful style.

17. Ruthio

Ruthio Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    \

^ [face_laugh]

Im sorry, but Douku looked even with Anakin up until he got his heads chopped, but what you said was funny man.[face_laugh]

18. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    I'm glad I could amuse you.
    But in all seriousness, I suggest that you rewatch that scene. Dooku gets kick off the ledge and is then backing up for the rest of the duel. Anakin is delivering those big-time overhead lunges, and pushing Dooku back. Then, he's get's him all tangled up and swiftly takes his hands. Dooku was outmatched once anakin really "cut loose" hardy har, pun intented.

19. Ruthio

Ruthio Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    yes Anakin did have all that going for him. That being the only battle he wins onscreen and all, i guess it had to be good.

20. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Exactly, that's what my whole argument here. Anakin displays the most power skills with a saber we've seen from a Jedi. Yoda fights Dooku to a stand-still, but doesn't defeat him. He owns Obi-Wan twice. He was a renouned master of saber combat. The fact that Anakin DESTROYS him makes me think that he was at the peak of his powers during this scene. He didn't yet tap into the darkside and get out of control. Yet, in protecting Obi-Wan and Palpatine, he gained strength. Besides that, visually speaking, Anakin was furious yet precise with his saber skills in this scene. He continually has Dooku on the defensive and finishes him off with the smoothest move in the saga - the dooku "de-handing"

21. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    oh no. not this thread again :rolleyes:

:p

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin lost in AOTC because he didn't work with Obi-wan and didn't train as hard with a Lightsaber as he should've. Obi-wan points out the latter to him during the Courscant chase. The former is apparent in the film itself. Three years later, Anakin improved his skills and this time, he used his anger.

23. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    I happen to agree with everything yoshifett said. Yes, I do believe that Anakin was truly at his peak in the duel with Dooku in ROTS.
    As a matter of fact, this was actually my second-favorite duel in ROTS, right after Obi-Wan vs. Anakin. I only wish it could have gone on just a little bit longer, but there is something to be said for short and sweet...!
    I do believe, also, that Anakin slipped toward the Dark Side when he executed Dooku at Palpatine's prompting. This is why I believe that Dooku's severing of Anakin's arm in AOTC was so pivotal. If Anakin hadn't been so badly maimed in his first duel with Dooku, maybe he wouldn't have been so easy for Palpatine to manipulate.

24. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Have to disagree.

Dooku took Obi-Wan out of the fight using the Force because he knew he probably wouldn't be able to defeat him with a saber - especially when Obi-Wan is not tired like he was in AOTC and his ex-apprentice Anakin is actually listening to him.

Dooku didn't intend on killing Anakin at first, so it's easy to look like a bad@ss when the other party isn't trying as hard. Then when Dooku was pushed on the ropes, he loses because Anakin is using the Darkside and when he does that he is more powerful with the anger. Not Dooku.

Same for Dooku and Yoda. Yoda is trying to capture Dooku, Dooku isn't trying to capture Yoda, so again, it's easy to fend off an attacker when he isn't really giving it his all.

If Anakin had more focus in the Darkside, he still wouldn't have beaten Obi-Wan. He WAS trying to kill him from minute one in their duel, using all his anger and his focus. He forgot about Padme during that fight. This was all between him and Obi-Wan and their relationship. And this was before he was bragging about his powers being underestimated. He still NEVER laid a lightsaber on Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan was a master in and of himself. But not of the Darkside. The Lightside. Anakin never broke Obi-Wan's saber defenses. I mean c'mon. Look at Obi-Wan after their duel. He is not even scratched. We all know how Anakin ended up.

Even decades later in ANH when Obi-Wan's an old man and Anakin is a wreck, Anakin still can't breach his defenses.

25. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Anakin seemed to be able to drive Obi-Wan back throughout the duel, but it wasn't enough to overcome his own arrogance at the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.