Losing interest in SW?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by LLL, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLL Force Ghost

star 4
    I have been disappointed in the dropping of AOTC out of the theaters so fast and in what appears to be the recent "crowning" by the moviegoing public of films like Spider Man (vomitvomitvomit) as obviously "cooler."

It even seems to me in some circles that Sw fandom is beginning to look as cheesy and geeky as ST fandom. As if SW is getting "old hat" to some.

Does anyone else get the same feeling these days?

It is a bummer, because there will only ever be one more SW movie. And this one's glory is just being cut out from under it, it seems like.
  2. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
  3. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Nah, there's nothing that can make me feel less cool than Spider-Man and Lord of the Rings fans.
  4. LLL Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not talking about *US,* guys.

Of course *we're* not losing interest in it ... if we were, we wouldn't be members on TFN, posting about this at almost 11 o'clock at night, etc.

I mean the general public. The ones who went nuts for SW during the OT, and even (bleah!) TPM, but now are keeping Spider Man in the theaters while SW drops off the marquee.
  5. Yodaminch Chosen One

star 6
    lemme see.
    no
    video games and books and comics keep sw alive for me. ohh i can't wait for clone wars bounty hunter and outcast. i saw spiderman. xmen was better. course my all time favorite heroes go like this

1 batman
    2 x men
    3 spiderman
    so spidy loses and if i did xmen idividually he'd really lose. spiderman seemed rushed. the characters had barely any personality. i could care less that uncle ben died and i d love it if spidy died. my favorite part was when the ant was praying in her room nad the goblin destroys her room
    ant: and forgive us our... ahhh [face_devil]
    aotc rocked! yoda could kick spidy's butt any day then again so could padme and jar jar.
    EDIT: ohh your not talking about us. yeah some of my friends are. they are now my sworn enemies
  6. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    its 3.42am here in Northern Ireland so i must be sadder! :(
  7. Import_Jedi Chosen One

star 6
    The ones who went nuts for SW during the OT, and even (bleah!) TPM, but now are keeping Spider Man in the theaters while SW drops off the marquee.

You pretty much gave a reason why people are going for other movies over SW with that "bleah!" remark about TPM ;)
  8. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    SW is a generational thing. Despite Lucas' insistance that kids love it, it mostly belongs to the 20 something crowd. The younger kids don't want to inherit a franchise from their older brothers, they want their own. Unfortunatly for them, the ones they have to choose from are totally lame. Sucks to be them.
  9. Su-Ron_Baal Jedi Knight

star 1
    The real question is. Who cares?

why are you so worried how poeple percieve you?

Do you enjoy Star Wars? If so then what do you care what others think of it? Why do you have to justify your love for Star Wars? If it's not as popular as you think that makes you a "nerd"? or some other such thing?

honestly, who cares?

I liked all 3 of them. Do I think Spiderman or Lord of the Rings is better then Star Wars? Honestly? Hard to compare..ones an action comic book adaptation, another is the bringing of a classic to the theatre..it's set in a medeival fantasy world...Star Wars is a space opera, set in a futuristic fantasy world (universe).

It all depends on the persons tastes....Lord of the Rings appeals to me because I love that type of fantasy, I'm a DnD fanatic. I love RPG's. The books are among the best ever written. Star Wars appeals to me because I have also always loved Sci-Fi and the whole force thing (medichlorians aside) brought a new twist to the genre. Spiderman is an adaption of a comic hero, that if you have ever been a fan of comics probably like.

personally I love all 3. If I had to choose which I liked better it would be a hard choice and would probably totally depend on my mood that day. The films are too fundamentally different from one another to rightfully compare them.

And as I said, bottom line; who cares.

Do you like Star Wars? Do you enjoy it? If yes to either of those then who cares what the media (joke in itself) or the majority dictate is the "coolest".

Cause generally most of those folks are just mindless puppets that simply all agree on the one thing because it's what's pushed by the majority as being the best. Person opinions are irrelevant to such folk, only how people percieve them.

do you want to fall in with these mindless puppets who change daily depending on what the media dictates is "cool"?

Don't worry about it. If you like it. Enjoy it. Who gives a **** about joe nimrod next door....
  10. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I mean the general public.

The "general public" has never been that interested in Star Wars in the first place, so I don't understand your concern.
  11. rsterling78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    the recent "crowning" by the moviegoing public of films like Spider Man

Don't worry. Citizen Kane was a box office bomb. So was Blade Runner. Casablanca did well at the box office but was not recognized as a classic film for a very long time after its release.

History will judge AOTC more equitably than the critics and moviegoers of the moment.
  12. Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Master

star 4

that's true rsterling

I still love SW as much as when I was a kid.
    Maybe more.

Spiderman looked pathetic to me in his tights. He's no hero to me. he didn't even get the girl in the end.
  13. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeah, we're here trying to judge the PT as they're being released. Give it 5-10 years. Already people's views of TPM are solidifying more than they ever were now that they've had time to think about it.

And either way, Spidey only holds one or two box office records, but overall did a typical flashy action movie take. It'll be remembered in the ranks of the original Batman and X-Men movies.
  14. Import_Jedi Chosen One

star 6
    History will judge AOTC more equitably than the critics and moviegoers of the moment.

Exactly. Titanic is the most successfully film of all time (forget that inflation-nonsense) and yet you can't really talk about the movie without someone rolling their eyes
  15. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    Throw the biggest stones you want towards me, but I think the falling interest in the general audience can be attributed to the PT.

What bothers me was that I tried to introduce some friends to Star Wars. So they saw TPM and thought the whole "Star Wars phenomenon" was vastly overated. So I took them to AOTC, and it only confirmed their suspicions that Star Wars is really not anything special.

Unfortunately, I've offered to let them borrow my OT tapes and they don't even want to watch them. They are assuming it is just more of the same. Too bad they are missing out on moments like the Death Star explosion or the Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker duel. :(
  16. Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin

star 6
    * Looks for a big stone *

8-}
  17. jedi_knight22 Jedi Master

star 2
  18. theUnknownjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't believe Spiderman is still playing at all the theaters here when AOTC is only shown at 2. AOTC came out 2 weeks later!
  19. obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't understand why people think that AOTC did so bad. It's in the top twenty movies right now and that's nothing to complain about.
  20. Cyan_Dawn Jedi Knight

star 3
    Most everyone can't tell the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars anyway, so who cares? As long as I get all 6 episodes on DVD in a few years, I will be happy.
  21. Import_Jedi Chosen One

star 6
    Throw the biggest stones you want towards me, but I think the falling interest in the general audience can be attributed to the PT.

Personally, I say the biggest cause of SW having a bad rep are those jackasses who lined up a month before TPM came out and those idiots in Seattle who lined up several months before AOTC came out.

Charity, schmarity...they gave SW fans a bad name. [face_plain]

22. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  23. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Too bad they are missing out on moments like the Death Star explosion or the Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker duel.

If they didn't like The Phantom Menace or Attack Of The Clones then it's doubtful that even those classic moments would rouse their interest. Some people just don't "get" Star Wars.

On the other hand, one of my friends had never seen Star Wars until The Phantom Menace and now he's a huge fan, so it really swings both ways. (Incidentally, his favorite film of the original three is Return Of The Jedi. Kind of puts a new perspective on things, eh?)
  24. Import_Jedi Chosen One

star 6
    Incidentally, his favorite film of the original three is Return Of The Jedi. Kind of puts a new perspective on things, eh?)

Non-fans like the Ewoks more than Stormtroopers. Go figure [face_plain]
  25. EviL_DukKY Jedi Knight

star 3
    Around here where I live, if you're a serious Star Wars fan you get mocked by all the "cooler" more "popular" people, just like the Star Trek fans.

Not a good sign...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.