Losing interest in SW?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by LLL, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I love AOTC and find the starwars saga more interesting and appealing than ever, but unfortunately, one has to admit that something is changed forever in the way starwars is perceived by the medias and audience.

While TPM got bad reviews and was bashed as one of the most disapointing movies of all times, the magic survived.
    TPM was criticized, but Starwars was still viewed as something special. Even though it had to face the Matrix which was seen as a much cooler movie.

I was dispointed myself with TPM. And I had very little hope for AOTC. Until I saw it and finally loved it. It's now my fav sw movie after ESB.

But as much as I love it, I think AOTC is the movie that killed the starwars magic.
    Its release was not really hyped, people weren't really excited by it, and there was not much talk about it.

For the first time in history, a starwars movie was one among others.
    Even here, in this starwars fans board, the passion is no more. Something has changed.

When TPM was released, we had the now legendary Gusher/Basher wars.
    There were Basher/Gusher wars before AOTC release too, based on speculations, spy reports, and the trailers.

But it suddenly stopped with the release of the movie. Sure, there are people who love the movie. I'm one of them. Sure there are people who hate it.
    But there is no passion. There is no war. There is no real debate.
    Many long time contributors have left the boards.
    Attack of the Clones is one movie among others. And with it, all other starwars movies have somewhat lost what made them so special.

Every SF movie site on the web now treats starwars as any other franchise/series. People are waiting for the next LOTR installment now (so am I !). Or the next spidey (I'm not !). Or even the next HP !

Starwars is just a saga that has to be finished. We need the sixth movie, we need the DVD set, and when it is completed, we'll all feel better.

But one cannot deny that the excitation is over.

And it has *nothing* to do with the quality of the movies.
    Here, in France, many intelectual papers and magazines gave AOTC good reviews, saying that it was the best, darkest, sexiest, most interesting sw movie to date.

Nevertheless, the world has changed. Starwars is a thing of the past. Something we all want to see completed. Something we all want to watch on our DVD player with our children or friends.

But not THE special NEW thing it used to be.

Why ? Well, six movies is a lot.

And it's not new anymore.

And we know how it ends.

We should be happy AOTC does so well at the BO. And we should be happy it's such a good movie.

It's time to end the starwars adventure right now.

I hate to say this. But that is the way of things. The way of the movie industry ...

Starwars' destiny is that of many legendary, cult TV series : we love it, but you know, it's all "dejà vu" all over again, if you take my meaning ...

2. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Rather than go backwards, why didn't Lucas move forward with the story and produce films that told the story of a Republic re-building after the corruption of the Emperor?

Because it'd still be the cheesy B movie either way. That's what Star Wars is when it all comes down to it. The PT is about a republic crumbling to become an Empire and a good kid becomming dark and twisted. But it's still in a B movie wrapping.

And if what duckman said is true about victors then I won I won ^_^

If you haven't, go back and read my long post a few pages back. I think I bring up points to suit both sides of the argument.
  3. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Excellent post, IMO, by FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002

I liked AOTC, and marginally liked TPM. So the quality of the prequels isn't what has "killed" Star Wars for me.
  4. Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling

star 4
    You know, I'm going to always love Star Wars, no matter what the heck the general public thinks. Frankly, I don't see why other fans should worry about how the rest of the world views it. Look at Star Trek. Their new movie isn't hyped. The fans still love it. The general public apparently doesn't like it, but the true fans still remain interested. That's how I view Star Wars. I'm sure many other true fans do too.
  5. FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Fanboy_Solo,

I still love starwars, and always will.
    I can't wait to see EpIII, I can't wait to watch all six movies.

Many people, even among non-fans feel the same.

But let's not be blind.

Something has changed. Even here. Even in these boards.

My opinion on starwars is not influenced by what critics and the average movie goer say.

But we all know that when we fell in love with the saga, it was viewd as THE SAGA.
    THE MODERN MYTH.
    THE SFX MOVIE WITH A SOUL.

Seeing everybody excited about starwars, be it to gush or to bash it was part of the pleasure of being a starwars enthusiast.

Everybody knew C3PO, Vader, Luke, Yoda. Just mentioning these names got smiles on everybody's face.

Well, my friend, that's no more.

Part of the magic is gone. Or whatever you call it. Starwars is one movie series among others now, and people don't even mind anymore being disapointed by it.

It's not a matter of being a true fan or not. It has nothing to do with the quality of the movies anyway.

We all knew it would happen the day Lucas decided to shoot the prequels.

6. The Flying Dutchman Jedi Master

star 4
    Part of the magic is gone.

it is ?[face_plain]

Starwars is one movie series among others now

what others?!?!!?

and people don't even mind anymore being disapointed by it.

People have been disapointed by TesB and RotJ: Why are their B.O. lower?

We all knew it would happen the day Lucas decided to shoot the prequels.

The prophet has spoken :p :D
  7. JediHPDrummer Jedi Master

star 3
    Great Post FOTR! Yeh Star Wars had its time people. It's a different time in the world. I was watching the GL Biography and timing is everything. When star wars came out in 1977, the timing was perfect. If it was to early or to late it would'nt of been the grand succes it is now. I mean come on people All the Star Wars movies, YES ALL 6 of them are in the top 20 in all time box office (Episode 3 may not but lets just say it does) Thats pretty impressive dont you think. Yeh Spider Man beat us, whatever. People wanted to see soemthing different, its not liek they dont like star wars its just its spider man! Its different. Star Wars has already come out with 5 movies! I love star wars and it will always be my favorite series but i'm looking forward to the new LOTR and the new matrix and a lot of movies. Star wars isnt the only movie for me anymore. And you got to understand not every fan is going to be pleased with teh prequels. Even if EPisode 1 was the best movie ever there would still bashers bashing away. Its a given for a movie franchise this big. This is the biggest Movie Franchise ever! It changed movie history and this world(i dont know if i should got his far, but it kind of did :) I dont think Harry potter, matrix, or even LOTR can do that. Star wars started it all, that doesnt mean lotr or all the movies are bad movies, its just that they werent the guinea pigs lets say. hehe
    Like I always say, Star wars isnt the best movie made. No way in hell, but they are my favorite to watch, and my favorite to cherish.
    I'm loving the prequels and im loving how this saga is unfolding. Thank you George Lucas for a beautiful story that has inspired me to do film and thanks to him i got into movies.
    I'm not going to be overly critical like bashers or gushers go to. I just love the movies, they're fun and thats what its been all about for me. And having that great story. Star wars was never an academy award acting job. I dont know why people expect this to be so much. Thats just my opionion. I think i went a little to far. See yah guys later
  8. SLAVE2 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Starwars is one movie series among others now

I do know what your saying, but thats a little extreme, only Spiderman has beaten it in the Box-office this year, and its still become the 14th(?) highest grossing film ever, not exactly among other series'. Star Wars has 5 of the top 15 grossing films ever, I doubt by Spiderman 5 it will have the same record, or Harry Potter 5.
  9. The Butler Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's a forced analogy: (inspired by either a Time or Newsweek article)

Homer (not the Simpson) was the guy who started the epic poetry trend with the Iliad. Later, he continues with the Odyssey, which has a dramatic change in style. People may bash him, or copy him by writing their own epic poems. But who the heck reads the Aeniad any more? (Meanwhile, the Iliad's still high school assigned reading.)

So when you ask about epic poetry, people say Homer, not Virgil, not Milton. And that makes all the difference.
  10. Jedi_Satimber Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Star Wars has 5 of the top 15 grossing films ever, I doubt by Spiderman 5 it will have the same record, or Harry Potter 5.

Is anybody paying attention to some other films that became franchises? I dare you to look at their #'s.
    Die Hard and Lethal Weapon (excellent flicks that I thought got better with each one)
    Jaws
    Batman
    Star Trek (which suffers from some kind of omen, every even one is good, every odd one is semi-bad)

11. FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Slave2 ;) and others,

The fact that starwars is still doing very well at the BO doesn't mean it still has the same status in people's mind.

Back in the 80's/90's, when you said "starwars" people thought "fun", "myth", "excitement", "adventure".

When you said "heroes", people thought "skywalker", "solo", "indiana jones".

Starwars was a classic.

Right now, Starwars wouldn't be the first thing that would come to people's mind if you said these words.

Oh, and I don't think that Anakin Skywalker, Qui-Gon Jinn or Padme mean a lot for most people.

Remembering starwars was cool few years ago.
    It was not a movie series, it was a myth.
    We were left with so many questions, and with so little hope that the prequels would be made one day.
    It was like a childhood memory. It gets better with time.

One thing to note is that when the OT was released, there was not much Expended Universe literature, nor visual dictionaries or bts footage.

We spent hours imagining why there were so many different uniforms on the death star, what was Anakin's backstory, where Vader lived, what was the capital of the Empire, whether the stormies were clones or not, and so on ...
    Anything that appeared on the screen raised another question, and made the sw universe seem even richer.

And we never got all the answers.

We had the toys. We had the stickers. And we had our imagination.

With time, the toys, books and even the movies themselves became rare. They became legend.

And you know what is so cool about legends ?
    It's that everybody loves them. Everybody has heard of them, even if they don't know them !
    Ask my old father, who has never really seriously watched a sw movie if starwars is cool, and he'll tell you : "Ah, Starwars ! It's a legend, a myth ! They made good movies back then !".

That was the magic of it. Your grandma', your girlfriend, your little cousin, your uncle, and even your teacher loved it ! Even if they didn't have a clear idea of what it was !

When the EU restarted the starwars fandom in the early 90's, we were all excited to have the opportunity to go back to that universe and get our answers.
    Excitement became hope. Hope that the prequels would be made one day.

And today, the saga is one film away from completion.

The problem is that we have tons of books, footage, pics giving us all the answers, a backstory for each background astro-droid and cantina monster. The saga has been re-released every two years on VHS, Hasbro has made a toy out of any insignificant character even if they don't appear in the movies ! It is all there in a wal-mart near you !
    And as we get our answers, the excitement disapears.

Starwars movies are released every three years, and they have to compete with LOTR, Matrix, Spidey, even Scoobidoo (!!!).

In 1999, people still thought that starwars couldn't be compared to other movies. It was different.

Now it's over. It can be compared. It can be beaten at the BO by a movie released the same month.

That's why I say that it is now one movie among others : because basically, you cannot just repeat "it's a myth" and silence any criticism.

BUT ...

No movie will ever accomplish what starwars did in 1977-1983.
    Not even the new starwars.

And my guess is that the next big, popular starwars event will be the release of the six DVDs.
    That day people will realize that Lucas' saga is the only one of its kind, and that nobody had done that before.

Millions and millions of people will own the DVDs, and enjoy them for decades to come ...

So people have not really lost interest in starwars.
    But the nature and intensity of their interest has changed. They are less curious about it. Less fascinated by it.

How on earth could it be otherwise ?

(Other movies released about the same period as the OT enjoy a legendary status, each in their genre : Alien, Indiana Jones are good exemples).

12. DarthIvanNemesis Jedi Master

star 1
    i agree, the only eu series i could see on the big screen are written by tim zahn. regardless, if lucas was going to make 7-9 i'd rather him write new stories for them.

Fine, but bring in Thrawn. He's the most compelling character from all the EU. If only he had been in charge at Endor...phew!

Regards,

Darth Nemesis, Sith bloke
  13. Skywalk272 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that once its all said and done, it will be looked at as magical again, at least for you. Right now its always magical for me.
  14. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    Losing interest in SW?

Oh ya, by the minute <runs off to see the digital version for the 11th time>
  15. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Again, another outstanding post by FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002. Nobody can say that Star Wars is dead to everyone. You can truly only speak for yourself. However, I feel as if there is circumstantial evidence that Star Wars doesn't have the same "magical" power that it used to have. And I think much of that is due to the fact that our world has changed since.

However, from a personal standpoint, I don't think there's any "blame" (blame as in "You did something wrong!") to be found anywhere. You can't blame the world, nor do I think you can blame Star Wars. It's just the passage of time.
  16. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    Let's wait and see how AOTC does when its out on DVD/VHS. Since less people saw AOTC in theaters, the potential for more AOTC home video sales and rentals are pretty high, imho.

Also, LFL didn't promote AOTC like they did past SW movies. I sometimes wonder if the strategy here was to keep EP2 hype to a minimum, so that they can go all out for EP3 without people being sick of SW.
  17. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I had thought that LFL held back on hyping AOTC because of the backlash against the hype for TPM.

In any case, I think they should have hyped it a bit more than they did. Hopefully Lucas will find a middle ground between TPM's hype and AOTC's lack of hype for Episode III.
  18. JediHPDrummer Jedi Master

star 3
    Episode 3 will have a great hype, its the last movie in star wars history and you know this is the one that everyone wants to watch, even if its dark. I think ep3 might surpass ep 1 in gross. I just have a feeling. And this is the one that we've all been waiting for. It's lucas last attempt for a star wars film and he knows that. And he knows that this has to be the most dramaticone of them all. This is it! EP 3 is going to ROCK
  19. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "I think ep3 might surpass ep 1 in gross."

I don't think so. I believe Episode III will gross less than AOTC, exemplefying the waning interest in Star Wars. And I don't think the "quality" of the film will have anything to do with it. For one thing, the plot for Star Wars is gradually getting harder and harder for the average non-Star Wars fan to follow.
  20. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    Shelley

You're exactly right. Those a whole big school of thought here on the boards about that.

They need to not be afraid to aggressively advertise (like SM did) next time.
  21. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    While I think the hype may have hurt a little, TPM was probably hurt more by over 15 years of anticipation and thought.
  22. Jedi_123 Jedi Youngling

Deomcrats support interest loss in SW!

I blame the Democrats!

All Hail Republicans!

Elect Bush in 2004!
  23. OB3 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I´m actually more interested in Star Wars
    now than when I was a kid even though
    I was a fanatic already then!
    Maybe I should get a life...
    Star Wars is infact my
    life... well, at least
    a very big part of it!
  24. Darth Mace Jedi Master

star 4
    For one thing, the plot for Star Wars is gradually getting harder and harder for the average non-Star Wars fan to follow.

Exactly. I overheard someone at work say that AOTC was the most confusing movie they had ever seen. If you think about a true casual movie goer who has seen the OT maybe 2 or 3 times over the years, saw TPM once in the theater, and maybe checked it out a second time on video. Now for that individual, it?s been 3 years since they really even thought about SW, and then they go to the movies and see AOTC. I believe something would certainly be lost in the film if you didn?t understand all the little nuances that you only comprehend by being a SW freak.

And am I personally losing interest in SW??? Yes, I am. For example, I saw TPM a total of 11 times in the theater. I liked TPM, but I find AOTC to be a much more enjoyable film. Yet I have only seen AOTC 3 times. And tonight is the last night that it is playing in my local theater, and I?m not going. I?ve debated about whether I should go, and part of me is afraid that I will regret the decision, but I really feel like I would be forcing myself to go see it tonight. Somehow in my mind I feel like I need to go, but sadly, I really don?t want to go.

I guess it?s just the passage of time and growing older and wiser and all that good stuff. I still consider myself to be a huge SW fan, but I feel that something has been lost forever. [face_plain]
  25. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    I guess it?s just the passage of time and growing older and wiser and all that good stuff

Dude! you're only four years old for crying out loud.

I looked at your info and I couldn't resist. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.