main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lost: 4-8-15-16-23-42: Deleted Scene Aired at Com-Con

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I was just down in NYC, and saw a ton of ads for this new show called Lost, which comes out on the 22nd, next Wednsday, at 8 pm on ABC.
    It looks pretty good, about a group of people who crash on a pacific island, where there's something that begins to eat them. Sounds a bit like Castaway and Jurassic Park mixed together, but it looked very interesting. Here are a couple of articles:

Fury Happy To Find Lost

David Fury, co-executive producer of ABC's upcoming SF series Lost, told SCI FI Wire that he intended to develop his own show after the end of his last one, The WB's Angel, but that he couldn't pass up the new series co-created by J.J. Abrams (Alias). "I turned down everything this year and had some nice offers, but nothing felt right to me," Fury said in an interview. "I wanted to spend more time at home and thought I was entitled to take a year off. It's a testament to J.J. and [co-creator] Damon Lindelof, because I had turned down Lost initially. It's only because they forgot that they tried me again. I decided I owed them the courtesy to see the pilot, and it was great! I decided to meet them, and I was totally seduced."

Shot on location in Hawaii, Lost centers on the survivors of a plane crash trying to stay alive on an isolated South Pacific island, where freakish occurrences take place. Matthew Fox and Evangeline Lilly lead an ensemble cast.

"It's not an easy show to categorize," said Fury, who previously wrote for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. "It borders on genre, an adventure show and character studies. It's what appealed to me about Buffy, which was that it could be so many different things. My biggest problem with shows in general is that they are what they are. But this is a show where we can mess around with the tone of it. I'm really happy to be on it." Lost premieres on ABC at 8 p.m. ET/PT on Sept. 22.

Lost's Secrets Hinted

David Fury, co-executive producer of ABC's upcoming SF series Lost, told SCI FI Wire that one of the most mysterious characters on the new series about plane crash survivors stranded on a mysterious South Pacific island is the island itself. "It is very interesting and has its own mythology that will hopefully unfold over many seasons," Fury (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) said in an interview. "We are hearing and seeing very odd occurrences, like a polar bear on the island. How does something like that happen in the South Pacific?"

While Lost is an amalgam of different genres, including SF, Fury explained that realism is the key in making it all work. "What we are trying to do is make sure everything has a very Scully explanation," Fury said, referring to the X-Files character. "This is not a show about the supernatural, despite the fact that we have a very huge creature that likes to eat people. Despite the surreal, bizarre aspects of the island, there will be an explanation for it. It may not come for a very long time, but certain information about the island will explain how things are possible. We'll try to root it in real science or real pseudo-science. There will be no mystical reason or an island of monsters. The island has been around for millennia, and many people have found themselves on it, and as far as we know, nobody has ever gotten off. There is also the possibility of others being on the island, they just haven't seen them yet. And we'll never know how big this island is. It could be enormous, but odd things will keep them from knowing the full length and breadth of it. It's an interesting little allegory. It will be very mysterious."

Lost, which was co-created by Alias' J.J. Abrams, balances a core cast of 11 main characters, led by Matthew Fox (Haunted) and newcomer Evangeline Lily. That many characters gives the creative team a lot to explore, Fury said. "We are discovering there are so many stories to tell," he said. "There will be burgeoning romances that will be handled in a credible fashion and triangles, and not to get soap opera-y, but things are going to happen. Also, the show will always be from the perspective [of] the people on the island, so we neve

2. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..yeah, i definitely plan on checking this one out..

Sounds like a cool concept, and heck...It's NOT a reality show! (i'm getting SO sick of reality tv.. 3 or 4 of them are tolerable, but they've really gotten out of hand!)

Hate to say it, but this is really the one single new show that i'm even remotely interested in checking out..

I'm still trying to get over them cancelling "Push, Nevada"...

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yeah, it sounds like fun. It keeps topping everyones list for best new show. Then again it is one of the only new hour dramas that isn't a total rehash.

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Unfortunently, I don't get ABC, or any other channel for that matter, but I'll be getting this one taped.

5. Grand_Duchess_Olga

Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Yeah, I like to see this one. Except it's on the same time as Smallville. I'll proably tape this one. But so far the commercials look good, and as long as it's not like Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital (supernatural), it should be really good.

I also want to see Deperate Housewife's.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Is there an official site for this? I haven't found one.

EDIT: Here's the ABC page, with almost nothing there: Lost

EDIT #2: Found another page, an unofficial one, with tons of stuff on it: http://www.lost-tv.com

7. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, Im definitely going to be checking this show out. It looks really cool and the reviews so far have been stellar. Looks to be one of the more promising shows of the new season.

8. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The one concern I have is how will they continue
    to keep the show going after the initial shock
    is worn off. At some point you feel they may have to
    try too hard to contrive problems for the survivors to
    face and it may grow a bit outlandish. If they manage
    to introduce a little 'lord of the flies' element
    into it, it may work.

9. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I'll be watching this show. Looks pretty interesting. :)

That said, it had better damn well deliver for the amount of hype they're putting behind it. I swear I can't watch TV anymore without seein' about 250 "Lost" commercials in a span of fifteen minutes...

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    into it, it may work.

Don't forget that there's something eating them on the island.

Commercials? Are there any online?

11. weezer

May 16, 2001
    into it, it may work.

I get the feeling that its going to be pretty outlandish from the get go. From what I've gathered its closer in vein to x-files, Push, or twin peaks then any kind of "serious" drama.

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I donno, from the previews that I saw, it seemed to be heavily seeped in reality, with some odd things about the island. Of course, we won't know until wedsnday.

13. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    From what Ive been reading, the monster wont play as big a role on the show as we may think. Check out the article here

Be warned, though. There are slight spoilers.

14. Angela_Russell

Angela_Russell Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 6, 2004
    It has Dom Monaghan in it he was my fave hobbit because he was so cute but he is not my fave guy Viggo, Orli and Karl were better oh and Sean Bean but he is still good.

Ciao!

15. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    They've got my interest peaked, so I'm going to watch for now. Sounds like Guilligans Island, meets Twin Peaks, meets The Prisoner. I liked the reference to "Scully" explanations.

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm glad that they're not making this into a Horror-show where the monster eats them all one by one and focus on the characters. That to me is way more interesting. The monster helps though.

17. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, it seems like it'll be more of a psychological plot device than anything else.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, which is always fun.

Just out of curiosity, what do Alias fans think of this?

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Just out of curiosity, what do Alias fans think of this? [i/]

I'm looking forward to it :D
    There are a lot of old Angel fans looking forward to it too.

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Why Angels fans?

21. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Ive never watched either Alias or Angel. :p

22. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    I might check this out, but honestly, I don't know how they're going to get a series out of it. I can't imagine Lost - Season 2 being anything but Gulliver's Island-esque.

23. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I guess that we'll see.

24. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Wow! What an incredible show! Definitely met and exceeded my expectations in every way. Awesome acting...awesome tone...awesome score...awesome everything. Really good stuff. There's ALOT of tension, too...which is great. Also...I don't entirely trust Dom Monaghan's character, Charlie. He seems like he has something to hide...

The creature seems very scary...

And that last shot with the pilot? Damn.

Can't wait for next week's episode! :D

A+

25. GreenWrinklyYoda

GreenWrinklyYoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I agree, this was an excellent show. I like how you don't really see the creature, which makes me think of some Jurassic Park type thing is going on. Unfortunately its the pilot again next week, so we have to wait a couple of weeks for a new episode!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.