main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Lost and Found, Updated 7/18--young Zekk, Peckhum, short story

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SakuraTsukikage, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Title: Lost and Found
    Authors: Sakura Tsukikage
    Genre: Well, it's not romance. :p That's about all I can figure out.
    Timeframe: Zekk is about nine or ten. I think he's nine.
    Characters: Zekk, Peckhum, the Lightning Rod (yes, the Lightning Rod is too a character, stop looking at me like that), OCs
    Keywords: Zekk, Peckhum, meeting
    Disclaimer: The Flanneled One owns all. I own all of nothing. Zekk doesn't belong to me either. Oh, well. Things've been this way for a while. I'm getting used to it. ;)

Notes: Well, this story was inspired by a line in one of my other Zekk stories (that would be "Helplessness," for the curious) and I couldn't make the bunny go away. So here it is.

Lost and Found, Part One

The starport was a busy place, bustling with life and energy in a kind of low thrumming vibration, like the hum of an active hyperdrive, somewhere deep in his chest. It was filled with beings of all kinds, ones he?d never seen before or even imagined existed, and all of them were hard, busy, preoccupied with their own business, not giving a slagging minute for the affairs of a ragged dark-haired human boy hanging around the edges of the hangar and watching the incoming ships and the spacers going about their business.

But that was okay; Zekk was getting used to it. In some ways he liked it better that way. It was better not to be noticed than to look like a tempting target. He?d figured that much out already. He rubbed at a fresh bruise on his cheek and tried to blend into the shadows cast by the crates of cargo he leaned against as best he could, letting his eyes travel aimlessly over the ebb and flow of beings before his eyes. It was a seedy dive of a place and he didn?t even know the name of the planet, but it wasn?t Ennth, and that was what mattered. His mind flashed back to the cold of the transparisteel as he pressed his fingers up against the viewport and watched the planet far below him, felt the crushing forces of the ground rising up and crashing together, felt as if his muscles and bones were being smashed into nothing, and knew that they were never, ever coming back?

He set his jaw and ground his teeth together and blinked the tears stubbornly back.

Zekk was starting to have a hard time keeping track of all the starships he?d stowed away on or found work with and all the starports he?d visited since he?d left home. He?d found out that a lot of sentients weren?t too eager to pay an undersized human boy for his work, even when he?d worked hard. And what was he supposed to do about it? Talk back and get himself slammed in the face again, or maybe worse? Better just to shut his mouth and take himself elsewhere. There were a lot of people here. Surely he?d be able to find someplace to make a few honest credits. He was a hard worker, after all.

His eyes followed the passage of a repulsorcart full of blumfruit, and he became newly aware of the hollow, grinding ache in the pit of his stomach, the grumbling complaints of his empty belly. He wasn?t too sure when the last time he?d eaten something that looked half that tasty had been, and it was hard to bury the thought that the back of the cart was unguarded, and he was small and quick, and it wouldn?t be tough at all just to grab a few. Zekk swallowed hard against the saliva prickling in his mouth and pushed the thought away. He wasn?t a thief. He never had been. He was looking for honest work.

But he?d used up the last of his credits just to get here and on that meal however long it had been ago, and honest work hadn?t fed him over the past couple of days.

Zekk hunched down over his crossed arms and turned away. He wasn?t going to get anywhere standing around staring all googly-eyed at other people?s cargo that he?d never be able to pay for. Time to start looking for something better to do. Something that could make him credits.

He had a second of warning, but it wasn?t enough. A big hand came down heavily on his shoulder and spun him around, and then he

2. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    *steals first post*

Will be back with a review!

EDIT:

Back!

His mind flashed back to the cold of the transparisteel as he pressed his fingers up against the viewport and watched the planet far below him, felt the crushing forces of the ground rising up and crashing together, felt as if his muscles and bones were being smashed into nothing, and knew that they were never, ever coming back?

He set his jaw and ground his teeth together and blinked the tears stubbornly back.

Vivid imagery, great description! Makes me feel so sorry for Zekk. :(

Zekk swallowed hard against the saliva prickling in his mouth and pushed the thought away. He wasn?t a thief. He never had been. He was looking for honest work.

[face_love] There?s nothing better than an honorable scamp.

And I don?t think I ever was in the first place, you slimy Huttspawn, he thought angrily. You just told me I was hired and let me do all the work and shoved me around and kept the credits. I hope you end up as schutta-bait, you scum-sucking slimetrail.

Love love love love love love love little!Zekk! [face_love] You always write Zekk so well, and this is no exception. Reminds me of The Lost Ones.

Hopes hadn?t saved his Mum and Da and?and they wouldn?t save him.

:_|

If that happened, he wouldn?t have to worry about Dreno anymore, cause he?d just be dead. Squished as flat as Mum and Da.

Ouch.

A second later he felt shame, hot and liquid, working its way up from his belly, and clenched his arms tighter around his knees as tears stung the back of his eyelids. A lot of people had been hurt on Ennth, a lot of people had died. He still remembered the tearing pain in his chest, as if someone had set off a blasting charge inside him as he watched the planet break apart, knew people were dying, felt them die. He didn?t see how he could ever forget. He wasn?t going to wish that on anybody else just ?cause his parents had died too and left him all alone, and if those supplies could help anybody anywhere they should go there.

This is just so ? Zekk. Heart-wrenching and horribly sad, but perfectly in-character.

Zekk laid his head down sideways on his arms and let his mind wander back to Mum?s nerf-meat stew and flatbread and fizz-pudding for dessert, too tired to fight the memories anymore the way he had been doing. It didn?t even seem real anymore. Now his reality consisted of scrounging for credits, and skulking around the holds of spaceships crewed by beings he?d never even seen pictures of before, and trying not to sound too pathetic when he asked yet another spacer to give him a job because, no, sir, I really am a hard worker, and yes, sir, I know I?m small but I?m stronger than I look, I really am, and his stomach always hurting and trying too hard not to remember.

Perfect. Absolutely makes me hurt for him, but it?s very realistic; he?s really just a little farm kid thrown out into a big galaxy before he?s ready. I love the references to his life back on Ennth; they just make everything so much more powerful.

Zekk told himself not to take offense, that he was small and ragged and dirty and looked like trash. ?I?m a mechanic,? he said. ?A good one.? When the man just looked at him disbelievingly, he felt more desperate words slipping out from between his lips. ?I?m good at finding things too.?

[face_love]

LOVE IT! :D Absolutely, totally love it. I?m speechless. You just made my day. :D

3. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Heh. This looks good. I can't wait for more.

Thank you for sharing this.

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful!

Zekk laid his head down sideways on his arms and let his mind wander back to Mum?s nerf-meat stew and flatbread and fizz-pudding for dessert, too tired to fight the memories anymore the way he had been doing. It didn?t even seem real anymore. Now his reality consisted of scrounging for credits, and skulking around the holds of spaceships crewed by beings he?d never even seen pictures of before, and trying not to sound too pathetic when he asked yet another spacer to give him a job because, no, sir, I really am a hard worker, and yes, sir, I know I?m small but I?m stronger than I look, I really am, and his stomach always hurting and trying too hard not to remember.

This just broke my heart! :_| Please PM when you update.

=D=

5. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    But Dreno?d always felt mean, somewhere far underneath, Zekk thought. He just hadn?t paid attention to it at first. He felt nothing like that from this man. It was amazingly dumb to trust himself to a feeling, but how much choice did he have these days?

*sigh* It always makes me mad that Jaina and Jacen didn't figure him out sooner. I was sitting there from the beginning going WWWWWWWHHHHYYYY!?:_| Dramatic irony sucks. :p

Masterful writing! Can't wait for the next part!

6. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Darling, do I even have to review? You know I think your stuff is spectacular and this was (suprise!) no exception! You really rocked Peckhum! I loved reading him, mostly because he's such an under appreciated character, despite how important his relationship with Zekk is! Great job!

7. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    I love just about anything with Zekk in it, but I especially love young Zekk. I like how you showed his latent Force abilities subtly protecting him, how strong he could be, and yet how vulnerable and in need of Peckhums help he was.

Will there be more? I hope so!!! =D=

8. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    It was a seedy dive of a place and he didn?t even know the name of the planet, but it wasn?t Ennth, and that was what mattered. His mind flashed back to the cold of the transparisteel as he pressed his fingers up against the viewport and watched the planet far below him, felt the crushing forces of the ground rising up and crashing together, felt as if his muscles and bones were being smashed into nothing, and knew that they were never, ever coming back?

:eek: Wow. I had always thought that Zekk would have felt his parents die, but I?d never thought about him feeling all the other deaths too. It makes it all even sadder. :(

But he?d used up the last of his credits just to get here and on that meal however long it had been ago, and honest work hadn?t fed him over the past couple of days.

I love how, while Zekk is extremely principled and won?t steal even when he?s hungry, he?s still smart enough to know that convictions aren?t always their own reward, at least not right away. You can see all the elements of grown-up Zekk in the little street kid, as it should be. :)

And I don?t think I ever was in the first place, you slimy Huttspawn, he thought angrily. You just told me I was hired and let me do all the work and shoved me around and kept the credits. I hope you end up as schutta-bait, you scum-sucking slimetrail.

:D Ah, this is perfect. This reminds me of Zekk in The Lost Ones, when he?s proud and fierce underneath the dirt and grime. [face_love]

Hopes hadn?t saved his Mum and Da and?and they wouldn?t save him. Zekk swallowed stubbornly against the hard lump of stinging pain that formed in his throat whenever he thought about them and searched for the next place to put his foot.

It?s so in-character that he pushes his grief down to do what has to be done.

Who?d care what happened to a little drifter without a credit to speak of? Everyone else had enough to worry about already, their own problems. He couldn?t blame them for not caring about what happened to a nobody like him. Why should anyone care?

:_|

He wasn?t going to wish that on anybody else just ?cause his parents had died too and left him all alone, and if those supplies could help anybody anywhere they should go there.

*sniffles* This is so Zekk.

Now his reality consisted of scrounging for credits, and skulking around the holds of spaceships crewed by beings he?d never even seen pictures of before, and trying not to sound too pathetic when he asked yet another spacer to give him a job because, no, sir, I really am a hard worker, and yes, sir, I know I?m small but I?m stronger than I look, I really am, and his stomach always hurting and trying too hard not to remember.

:_| Again, this seems very real, especially the part about trying to find work. That?s another thing I?d never thought about, but who would hire a scrawny, starving 9-year-old? :(

he had her two-tone emerald eyes, and he could still see the swirl of her skirt and her brightly colored shawl, the one Da had bought for her and that she always wore even though she?d laughed at him for it and said it didn?t match a thing she owned

I?ve always imagined Zekk as having his mother?s eyes for some reason, and I love the little tidbit about his mom and her shawl. [face_love]

she?d always teased him for taking things apart and called her little grease-mynock.

Aww! You worked Zekk?s mechanical ability in too. :)

begging them not to go ?cause something bad, something terrible, was about to happen, he could feel it,

And Force premonitions too. :_|

he hadn?t been important enough and they?d left him and gone away and they were never coming back.

Oh man?this is just heartbreaking. How could he help but think that in a corner of his mind, even if he knew it wasn?t true?

Zekk knew subconsciously that it wasn?t Dreno, but he couldn?t help the avalanche of pani

9. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    To jedi_of_ennth: Wow, that was fast! [face_laugh] I'm impressed!

Vivid imagery, great description! Makes me feel so sorry for Zekk.

Thanks! I know. Writing this whole thing made me feel so bad for him. (But did that stop me? Of course not. :p)

There?s nothing better than an honorable scamp.

Definitely. [face_love]

Love love love love love love love little!Zekk! You always write Zekk so well, and this is no exception. Reminds me of The Lost Ones.

[face_blush] Thanks! [face_blush] I had The Lost Ones in mind while I was writing this. I was trying to make it a logical extrapolation backwards. And I've always liked proud, snarky, tough Zekk.

Ouch.

That's exactly the response I wanted right there. :)

This is just so ? Zekk. Heart-wrenching and horribly sad, but perfectly in-character.

[face_blush] Thanks again. I wanted to capture that part of his character right there. I'm glad to hear I succeeded.

Perfect. Absolutely makes me hurt for him, but it?s very realistic; he?s really just a little farm kid thrown out into a big galaxy before he?s ready. I love the references to his life back on Ennth; they just make everything so much more powerful.

Just a little farm kid, yes, that's exactly it. That's what I wanted to get across here. He's tough and adaptable and surprisingly resilient considering everything he's been through, but he's really just a little farmboy from a backwater planet who isn't at all ready for everything he's facing now. Thank you so much.

LOVE IT! Absolutely, totally love it. I?m speechless. You just made my day.

Thank you! [face_blush] I'm glad I could make your day.

To Neo-Paladin: Thanks! I'm having a great time writing it, actually. There should be more before too long.

To VaderLVR64: [face_blush] Thank you! I certainly will PM you.

To _Tenel_Ka_: Thanks for the review!

*sigh* It always makes me mad that Jaina and Jacen didn't figure him out sooner. I was sitting there from the beginning going WWWWWWWHHHHYYYY!?

I know exactly what you mean. I was doing the exact same thing. In fact, part of the reason this fic came about was my trying to figure out how they could have been so oblivious, not to mention Zekk's part in the whole "not-noticing" thing. So you can expect some explanation for that ;).

Masterful writing! Can't wait for the next part!

:D Thanks!

To Lusa_Thul: [face_blush] Why, thank you. Spectacular? Wow. [face_blush] I really love writing Peckhum and Zekk, I've discovered. And so this fic was born. ;) Poor Peckhum. He's so cool, yet even profic neglects him. (And no, you don't have to review, but I always like to hear it :p).

To iamobiwan1970: I like writing young Zekk, myself, though I love Zekk in any age. [face_love] :D I really enjoyed weaving all the different threads of his situation and personality together. And yes, there certainly will be more! :D

To Emerald_Lady: Have I ever mentioned how much I love the length and depth of your reviews? They make me smile, every time :).

Wow. I had always thought that Zekk would have felt his parents die, but I?d never thought about him feeling all the other deaths too. It makes it all even sadder.

I know what you mean. I always thought that something as big as a planet in cataclysm like that would be scarring for any Force-sensitive caught in the immediate radius as he was.

I love how, while Zekk is extremely principled and won?t steal even when he?s hungry, he?s still smart enough to know that convictions aren?t always their own reward, at least not right away. You can see all the elements of grown-up Zekk in the little street kid, as it should be.

Thanks. I definitely agree. To me, Zekk has always had that sense of realism to him, that even though he has morals and sticks to them, he doesn't expect an

10. Arwen_Djo

Arwen_Djo Jedi Master star 3

Jul 3, 2006
    I could so this happening! And you wrote it perfectly, too!:D

11. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    This is wonderful. :) I really like your narrative style and the way you use all the senses in your imagery. And there is such attention to fine details, such as Zekk feeling the callouses on Peckham's fingers through his work gloves. It makes the whole scene really come alive.

I have a soft spot for old Peckham. :) I find many of the minor SW characters more interesting to explore than the main ones - because it's fun filling in the gaps, I guess. So this was perfect from that point of view.

=D=

12. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    To Arwen-Djo: Thanks! Realism is what I'm going for! Thank you very much! :D

To Tahi: [face_blush] Thank you. I'm really glad you like it. It's important to me to work in all the sensory images--I want my writing to seem real, to really come alive off the page. I'm thrilled to hear you think it does. I know, Peckhum rocks, doesn't he? I love the minor characters, too. :) Thanks again! :D

Part Two

?So,? Peckhum said as he and the scruffy dark-haired little starport rat neared the other side of the hangar from his stacked cargo. ?You got a name, kiddo? Mine?s Peckhum.?

The kid?s eyes dropped, and he stuck his hands in his pockets again, hunching into himself as if for protection. ?It?s Zekk,? he said.

?Just Zekk?? Peckhum asked. ?No last name??

Green eyes flashed up at him from under thick dark lashes. ?Just Peckhum??

Peckhum laughed. Yeah, the kid was sharp, all right. ?You?ve got me there,? he said as he looked up. ?Okay, Zekk,? he said. ?Here we are. Check her out, kid.?

Zekk?s eyes came up, then went wide as his whole body stilled. ?Wow,? he said softly, under his breath, so quietly Peckhum wasn?t sure he?d heard him at first. ?Astral.?

Peckhum grinned to himself, pleased by the kid?s wide eyes and open mouth. It wasn?t often he found someone who could appreciate the Lightning Rod for the amazing lady she really was?most people just looked at her and saw an old piece of junk?but it looked like he?d just found himself one of them.

A moment later Zekk had managed to snap his mouth closed. ?Looks old,? he said. ?She?s in great shape, though.? He looked uncertainly up at Peckhum. ?Must take a lot of work to keep her like that,? he said. ?What do you want me to do??

Peckhum laid a hand on the boy?s shoulder beneath the baggy jumpsuit he was wearing?kriff, he was skinny, his shoulder blade sharp-edged under his fingers?and brought him along as he started up the ramp and keyed open the entry hatch. ?I guess we?ll start by seeing what you know about hyperdrives,? he said. ?C?mere, kid, it?s down this hatchway here.? He gestured and Zekk nodded, glanced at him as if for reassurance as to what he was supposed to do, then grabbed hold of the ladder visible in the open hatchway and disappeared down it in a second. Peckhum blinked in slight surprise and followed after him a bit more slowly. Well, the kid knew his way around a supply ladder, anyway.

He quickly decided that the kid hadn?t been conning him, at least. Zekk knew his way around a ship?s hyperdrive too, however a kid like him had picked up the knowledge. He even made a few good suggestions that should be damned useful if Peckhum ever found the time to implement them. The kid had been right about that, too; he could use a hand keeping the Lightning Rod up and running.

But it wasn?t going to be this Zekk, he told himself as he watched the boy wriggle himself out from one of the service vents and brush his messy dark hair out of his eyes with the back of his hand. Competent and intelligent as the boy seemed, he was a baby, no more than nine or maybe ten. He had no business working the space lanes; he was a kid. A runaway, probably. And Peckhum wasn?t going to be the one responsible for taking the kid away from a home, a family, everything he?d ever known, not if he could help it.

A nagging thread of doubt tugged at him?Zekk was so kriffing skinny, and his jumpsuit and boots were too big for him, his hair way too long. He looked thin and neglected and uncared for, not like a boy who had a home or family waiting for him someplace, and he had the tough air of a child who knew all too well that there wasn?t anyone who was going to be looking out for him but himself. And then there was that swelling bruise on his cheek. He wouldn?t want to send the kid back to a family who hit him around, if that was what was going on.

But the bruise was probably courtesy of old gundark-face back at the cargo stacks, Peckhum figured, and

13. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yay - more story. And I'm first, too. :)

A nagging thread of doubt tugged at him?Zekk was so kriffing skinny, and his jumpsuit and boots were too big for him, his hair way too long. He looked thin and neglected and uncared for, not like a boy who had a home or family waiting for him someplace, and he had the tough air of a child who knew all too well that there wasn?t anyone who was going to be looking out for him but himself. And then there was that swelling bruise on his cheek. He wouldn?t want to send the kid back to a family who hit him around, if that was what was going on.
    I loved that peek into old Peckhum's soft side. :) What a guy.

But the bruise was probably courtesy of old gundark-face back at the cargo stacks,
    You use the inner monologue very well to characterise Peckhum and his dry humour. :)

He sounded like he was about to cry, and Peckhum wasn?t at all surprised when he reached up with one arm and rubbed his sleeve hard across his eyes, quickly, as if he didn?t want Peckhum to see.
    Aww, poor Zekk. :(

It hurt to watch the hope fall flat in those eyes, watch them go dull and despairing, the kid?s careful, mature-beyond-his-years composure splinter and fall away, his lips start to tremble before he firmed them again stubbornly. Even so, there was a stark, raw sort of desperation to his quaking voice that made Peckhum wince as the boy?s hands knotted back up into fists and he burst out, ?Did I do something wrong? I?m sorry, sir?I didn?t mean to?I can?I can do better, just give me another chance, I know I can.?
    That's heart-breaking. Poor kid! And again it shows Peckhum's humanity.

Instead of a runaway he was an orphan, tossed on the chancy mercy of the space-lanes.

Just like he had been, a very long time ago.

Ah - beautiful connection there. So Peckhum has been in the same situation as Zekk?

this is a kid with dignity. He was just a kid, but he hadn?t let his life, however hard it?d been, take that from him, and that was more than Peckhum could say about a lot of adults he?d known. To preserve that dignity, he said, ?You know, so am I,? and started for the diner, measuring his steps so it would be easier for Zekk?s shorter stride to stay alongside his.
    What a good man he is. :) Such empathy.

?Hell,? Peckhum said, shrugging, ?I don?t know, kid. Guess they feel like they have to, like their power gives them extra responsibility or something.?

A sudden smile broke over Zekk?s grimy face, not for Peckhum but directed someplace else, far away and wistful. ?Astral,? he said softly.

That was interesting, as was the bit about Peckhum's memories of the Jedi Order. Nice bit of contextualising. :)

?Sure,? Peckhum said. ?Sure. Do I look like a Kowakian monkey-lizard to you?
    LOL Great line. :D

Lovely ending. I'm enjoying this a lot. Could you PM me when you update as I don't get a lot of internet time, and I find PMs very helpful. :)

14. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    Oh, so good to see this back. I love this back story to Zekk meeting Peckhum. You are giving Peckhum new found depth. you can really see how much he cares for Zekk:

But it wasn?t going to be this Zekk, he told himself as he watched the boy wriggle himself out from one of the service vents and brush his messy dark hair out of his eyes with the back of his hand. Competent and intelligent as the boy seemed, he was a baby, no more than nine or maybe ten. He had no business working the space lanes; he was a kid. A runaway, probably. And Peckhum wasn?t going to be the one responsible for taking the kid away from a home, a family, everything he?d ever known, not if he could help it.

This makes sense. He can't just take Zekk off world without knowing if the kids an orphan or runaway.

He did know, though, that this wasn?t your typical kid. Not even your typical orphaned drifter.

That's for sure. You have described a lovely child who is in bad circumstances.

this is a kid with dignity. He was just a kid, but he hadn?t let his life, however hard it?d been, take that from him, and that was more than Peckhum could say about a lot of adults he?d known.

That's Zekk. Even as an adult. He's such a good guy!!! :*

It is interesting that Peckhum is old enough to remember the Old Order Jedi. If only he knew what power was locked inside little skinny Zekk!

Great post. I really love it! =D=

15. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    To Tahi: Thanks! [face_blush]

What a guy.

Yes, definitely. I want to make him sympathetic and yet believable. I hope he still sounds like what little we see of him in profic.

You use the inner monologue very well to characterise Peckhum and his dry humour.

Thanks! I'm glad you think so.

Aww, poor Zekk.

I know :(.

Ah - beautiful connection there. So Peckhum has been in the same situation as Zekk?

:D

What a good man he is. Such empathy.

I'm glad to hear I'm getting that across. :)

That was interesting, as was the bit about Peckhum's memories of the Jedi Order. Nice bit of contextualising.

Thank you! I figured he'd be old enough to remember them, and since he ended up running supplies for the Jedi Order I figured he must have had a favorable impression. And as for Zekk, he had to first hear about the Jedi sometime.

LOL Great line.

:D Thanks!

Lovely ending. I'm enjoying this a lot. Could you PM me when you update as I don't get a lot of internet time, and I find PMs very helpful. :)

Thank you very much! [face_blush] I'd be glad to!

To iamobiwan1970: Thank you! I'm really glad you're enjoying it!

This makes sense. He can't just take Zekk off world without knowing if the kids an orphan or runaway.

Definitely. And Peckhum's always seemed to me to be a responsible guy.

That's Zekk. Even as an adult. He's such a good guy!!!

That's for sure. [face_love] As a person, he has a lot of integrity, even when he falls to the dark side. I think his life would have been easier, maybe, if he hadn't had quite so much, but he wouldn't have turned out as great as he has. ;)

Great post. I really love it!

Thank you again!

16. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Forgive me if this review is not totally coherent; my thoughts don?t often cooperate when I try to turn them into words. :p

Love the interaction between the two of them. :D

Zekk?s eyes came up, then went wide as his whole body stilled. ?Wow,? he said softly, under his breath, so quietly Peckhum wasn?t sure he?d heard him at first. ?Astral.?

[face_laugh] Nice nod to TUQ.

But the bruise was probably courtesy of old gundark-face back at the cargo stacks, Peckhum figured, and Zekk?s hard air probably just because he was naturally a tough kid. At least, that was what Peckhum was trying to tell himself. He?he didn?t want to be responsible for this boy, he really didn?t. He had a tough job, a lonely job, a dangerous job. It was no place for a child. Zekk was bright, and quick, and sure, Peckhum was starting to like him already, but that was all the more reason to send him packing now, before either of them got too attached to one another.

I love how Peckhum tries to rationalize things here.

?Um,? Zekk said. ?Y-yes, sir? My mum?she t-taught me to be respectful.? His voice wavered and broke badly. ?Said being rude didn?t serve any purpose, and that being respectful helped others to th-think better of you.? He sounded like he was about to cry, and Peckhum wasn?t at all surprised when he reached up with one arm and rubbed his sleeve hard across his eyes, quickly, as if he didn?t want Peckhum to see.

Aw. Just aw. [face_love] Because that?s just perfect Zekk?underneath the snarky bravado, he?s surprisingly dignified and polite; that contrast is present even in The Lost Ones, and it?s one thing that makes his character so interesting.

It hurt to watch the hope fall flat in those eyes, watch them go dull and despairing, the kid?s careful, mature-beyond-his-years composure splinter and fall away, his lips start to tremble before he firmed them again stubbornly. Even so, there was a stark, raw sort of desperation to his quaking voice that made Peckhum wince as the boy?s hands knotted back up into fists and he burst out, ?Did I do something wrong? I?m sorry, sir?I didn?t mean to?I can?I can do better, just give me another chance, I know I can.?

There?s that inferiority complex rearing his ugly head. Again, I?m reminded of TUQ, when Zekk messes something up in the mission at the beginning of the book (can?t quite recall specifics) and mentally berates himself for it until Jaina snaps him back to the task at hand.

Zekk straightened up and wiped his eyes with the grimy sleeve of his flightsuit again. ?Thank you, sir,? he said. His voice was practically vibrating with earnest sincerity. ?I won?t let you down. I promise.?

And he?s never broken a promise to Peckhum. [face_love]

?It?s the center of government, right?? the boy asked. ?For the . . . New Republic?? He seemed to have to think about the name of the government a bit. Peckhum decided he must have come from a real backwater. The boy had all the signs?accent, uncertainty about the wider galaxy, rather unusual coloring. Seemed like he?d come a long way away from home, wherever that might have been.

Great little detail there. As a matter of fact, I was just thinking about Ennth earlier today, wondering just how backwater the planet was and how in touch with galactic events the citizens would be.

And yet he hadn?t said a thing. Would he have waited until they were done loading to ask? Until it came time for evening meal? Or would he just have kept quiet until the next time Peckhum felt like eating? He didn?t know the kid well enough yet to be sure, but he was starting to get a feeling it might be the last. He did know, though, that this wasn?t your typical kid. Not even your typical orphaned drifter.

:)

Zekk?s hands clenched in the sides of his jumpsuit, his fingers worrying the dirty fabric. ?I?I couldn?t let you do that, sir

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Excellent update! I loved an outsider's view of what the Jedi do and are. :D It made a lot of sense.

?So,? Peckhum said as he and the scruffy dark-haired little starport rat neared the other side of the hangar from his stacked cargo. ?You got a name, kiddo? Mine?s Peckhum.?

The kid?s eyes dropped, and he stuck his hands in his pockets again, hunching into himself as if for protection. ?It?s Zekk,? he said.

Peckhum laughed. Yeah, the kid was sharp, all right. ?You?ve got me there,? he said as he looked up. ?Okay, Zekk,? he said. ?Here we are. Check her out, kid.?

Loved this exchange! You've created a very believable child character here. Well done! That's hard to do, but you've done a flawless job.

=D=

18. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006

That?s such a great description of the way he?s standing.

[face_laugh]=D= I like the way Zekk?s fierce intelligence peeks through here.

Zekk?s eyes came up, then went wide as his whole body stilled. ?Wow,? he said softly, under his breath, so quietly Peckhum wasn?t sure he?d heard him at first. ?Astral.? [?]
    It wasn?t often he found someone who could appreciate the Lightning Rod for the amazing lady she really was?most people just looked at her and saw an old piece of junk?but it looked like he?d just found himself one of them.

Awww. [face_love]

Peckhum laid a hand on the boy?s shoulder beneath the baggy jumpsuit he was wearing?kriff, he was skinny, his shoulder blade sharp-edged under his fingers?

I like how this not only tells us how hungry Zekk is, but also something about Peckhum?s character, since he?s concerned about the kid. :)

He looked thin and neglected and uncared for, not like a boy who had a home or family waiting for him someplace, and he had the tough air of a child who knew all too well that there wasn?t anyone who was going to be looking out for him but himself.

*sniffles* You make me want to cry for Zekk. :_|

Zekk was bright, and quick, and sure, Peckhum was starting to like him already, but that was all the more reason to send him packing now, before either of them got too attached to one another.

I love how Peckhum tries to talk himself out of it and rationalize away his instincts.

?Back?back home, I used to like to take things apart to see how they worked then try and put them back together.

He?s a budding engineer! :D Or mechanic. I just had to geek there for a moment.

The boy was small, built slight even if he hadn?t been as damned skinny as he was. His skin was very pale beneath the bruises and smudged dirt, his eyes a startlingly deep green against that fine porcelain skin, striking against the dark hair that fell in dirty, greasy tangles around his face. His chin was narrow but firm and looked stubborn, like the determined set of his full mouth. His fine bones were angular and slim and far too prominent. His eyes were too old for him, with a circle of darkness around the pupils.

I love the way you can describe someone?s appearance and their character at the same time. You?re so good at this. =D=

Instead of a runaway he was an orphan, tossed on the chancy mercy of the space-lanes.

Just like he had been, a very long time ago.

Yay, Peckhum background! :D I like this idea.

Peckhum decided he must have come from a real backwater. The boy had all the signs?accent, uncertainty about the wider galaxy, rather unusual coloring.

Ooh, I?d never thought about this before. It?s neat to see young Zekk through Peckhum?s eyes.

Or would he just have kept quiet until the next time Peckhum felt like eating? He didn?t know the kid well enough yet to be sure, but he was starting to get a feeling it might be the last. He did know, though, that this wasn?t your typical kid. Not even your typical orphaned drifter.

This is so telling, that even though Zekk?s literally starving, he won?t say anything until Peckhum?s hungry. He?s an amazing kid.

?I?I couldn?t let you do that, sir,? he said in a choked, aching sort of voice, and wouldn?t meet his eyes. ?I?m not a charity case. I make my own way.?

See above. Even now, he won?t accept a handout.

Peckhum looked at the boy, at his skinny square-held shoulders and deep green eyes and smudged face and the small, tough hands shoved in the pockets of his ragged dirty jumpsuit and thought, this is a kid with dignity. He was just a kid, but he hadn?t let his life, however hard it?d been, take that from him, and that was more than Peckhum co

19. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    Just stopping by for a periodic up. I like to support good stories. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.