main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    If I may spam here a little - can you find a few moments to vote in JC's Top 100 TV shows? :) (If you haven't done so already, that is...) Voting ends today at 1:00 PM boards time (which is in less than 4 hours away), and we could always use a few more voters...

Thanks! :)

2. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    I made two resolutions in 2010. The one to eat oatmeal every day fell in March when the water was shut off in my old apartment building. The one to write at least one drabble every day? That one succeeded. So far for 2011, I've decided to renew the drabble one (with the amendment that at least two drabbles every week have to be originals) and to try again for the oatmeal. I've been considering a couple others. One would be to start a blog, and the other to get out of my apartment every single day.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Those are fun resolutions!! You're a big oatmeal fan, I take it?

4. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    If I were that big of one, the resolution would've been redundant. No, it's more that I should eat it more than I have been, and this provides motivation. Last year, after I hit that period where I couldn't have any for a few days, I just stopped trying.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Gotcha. I wish I was that motivated. I think Mom would love it if I had an "east borccoli every day" resolution.

6. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Hm, that oatmeal resolution sounds like a good way to save on grocery money... [face_thinking]

I made 38 resolutions this year. Usually I make around 25 and achieve maybe 5 of them. But last year I didn't make any, so I figured I had to step up my game.

The big ones this year are to go back to school, be less poor, and host more parties. :D

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I don't really do resolutions. I don't find them inspiring - if I want to change something about myself, I just go ahead and do it. :p

On the other hand, they are nice to use as goals for writing. Like this year I'm going to attempt to write each of the four tables per month at the 50 Sentences Challenge. That will be a lot of writing. :D

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I like to give myself easy/attainable resolutions. This year's is simple: end the year weighing less than I do now, and just try and have a good year.

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Yay, simple resolutions! Good luck with it, Mi. [:D]

Has anyone noticed how we all have new, shiny, slanted stars by our usernames? o_O

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Hmm, looks like someone's been playing with them again . . .

I learned (through fanfic resolutions, actually :p ) that I like to have something (written or memorized) that I can work toward - it motivates me when I'm having trouble day to day. Like, get a certain GPA. Or, (when I was working retail) sell a certain amount this shift. I like scratching things off a to-do list or seeing at the end of the year that I've gotten somewhere specific.

Woah, that's a lot of resolutions!! Good luck with them [:D]

Miana, good luck with yours, too!! That's an admirable goal :)

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Shiny. :cool: I didn't know you could play with the starry icons, beyond the Hallowe'en and Christmas specialized ones we saw. :p

12. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Thanks for the good luck wishes, NYCitygurl!

Ah, you people are all so sensible with your simple resolutions. I just like to make a lot of them because I'm bound to end the year feeling like I've accomplished something.

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Is it possible to have a resolution that takes over a year to do? o_O If so, I hereby resolve to have my student theatre company formed, working on my production of Hamlet, and producing the show by the time March 2012 swings around. ;)

... which is something my partner and I resolved to do back in November, but I feel left out if I don't say that I resolve to do something. :p

14. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    I hereby declare that your resolution is good enough, Idrelle!

If I had the authority to. And I guess I do. Sort of. :p

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Thanks, Ubersue. [:D] I hereby declare that you have the authority to declare New Year's resolutions "good enough" or "not good enough".

... if I had the authority to do so. ;)

16. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Thank you, Idrelle. I now declare that all resolutions pertaining to the losing of weight be null and void until the sale of discounted Christmas cookies is over.

I like having this kind of power.

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Uh oh. If we're not careful, she's going to go tyrannical on us! :eek:

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Heh. I still have some remains of my Christmas cookie supply my Mum packed me with. :p She bakes about 8 different kinds every Christmas, plus a big cake or two - it's a tradition. We never buy Christmas cookies; that would be an insult to my Mum's superior baking skillz. Although, the traditional Slovak honey cookies are always mine (she only prepares the dough for me in advance, to save time). :D

19. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Wow.

I hate baking cookies. I can't even begin to emphasize all the different ways how I dislike baking cookies.

I love eating them, though. :p And Slovak honey cookies sound delicious.

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I love baking cookies. [face_love] Can't stand the taste of store-bought ones.

And Mar, remember when you showed me a pic of those cookies back in December? I still want some. =P~

21. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Seconded on Slovak honey cookies sounding awesome!

I love baking cookies, but my oven doesn't work. That's probably for the best. I'm kind of a sugar fiend.

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    My school oven is disgusting, so I don't really use it - not that I would really have the time. I try to eat as best as I can when I'm at school, but it's hard; I don't have a lot of time to spend, and a lot of the things I like to eat can take up to or over an hour to make (like pierogies, which take an hour and a half to make from scratch - but they're totally worth it).

23. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Yeah, eating well while you're at school is pretty hard. I try to fill my freezer with homemade chilli and stuff like that when I've got classes.

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I usually end up buying things from the market. [face_blush] I really, really shouldn't: most of it isn't very healthy (though it is quite a bit healthier than other campus options), and it's expensive. But I usually run out of time to make something to bring with me, or I don't have room to pack both a lunch and a dinner. It gets frustrating when they close the market at 7:00 and I still have a three hour reharsal ahead of me and I don't have anywhere to grab dinner... aside from a Tim Horton's that only offers doughnuts and muffins. :oops: :rolleyes:

Plus, I don't really like supporting the market anyway. Because of it, the windows in two of our studios are gone (the market occupies a space that used to be an out-door courtyard that no one walked through except for the theatre and music students) and now we feel even more boxed in than before. Our studio spaces are all prisons - none of them, except one, has windows now, which is frustrating for me because I already live in a basement flat. :rolleyes:

... yes, I am a very sour drama student. 8-} [face_peace]

25. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Ah, Timmy's. :) Go for the bagel and cream cheese! It's your most nutritious option. :p

Hey, you should hear me complain about my place.:D I don't live on campus, but I moved to be closer to classes (which I couldn't scrounge up the money for anyway, oops), and though I love having my own place now...

Okay, in my suburb, everyone owns a car. And there's also a lot of prostitution, pretty much everywhere. And because transit isn't so great, I have to walk everywhere, and there's always creepy dudes trying to pick me up. Ew, ew, ew. Doesn't matter how I'm dressed. If I can't afford a car next year, I'm cutting off my hair and wearing a fake moustache. :p