Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    That's disturbing.

2. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I've tried looking for this on the internet but I couldn't find what I was looking for. Apparently a house was sold after the previous own went missing. The new owners didn't think anything of the thing that was hanging in the kitchen and dismissed it as some decoration or other. It wasn't until some time after moving in that they realised that it was the body of the previous owner who had hung himself.

I'm not sure about this, though there have been cases where dead bodies have been mistaken for Halloween decorations. One man was sat on his balcony after shooting himself in the head and a woman hung herself in a tree.
  3. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Oh, wow. That's wrong.
  4. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'll tell you what's wrong! This! See this? No, not that! This! THIS! Look where I'm pointing! How can you look at this and not see how wrong it is on every conceivable level of wrongness? THIS! IS! WRONG!

Although I guess I could be mistaken about that.
  5. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    You're right, Salacious_Drabb. That is so wrong.

:p
  6. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

How's everyone's weekend going?
  7. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    Very drunkenly.

WOOO graduation today!
  8. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I went to a big barbecue festival over in Manhattan today, but I wound up not having much. I was supposed to meet some people but couldn't find them, and the tents for the various places had long lines. There was a Stubb's truck giving out some free samples, though, so I had that, then walked down to Union Square, had a free sample of some "vibrancy drink" there, and kept on walking down to Houston. Caught the subway home and got some curry chicken from the Caribbean bakery on the corner. There were other things I did along the way, but I don't want to bore you with details.
  9. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Congrats!! [:D]

Drabb (actually - what should we call you these days?) - why didn't you call/text the people?
  10. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I lacked two important tools for that. One, a charged cell phone. Two, a phone number. It wasn't the most carefully planned of operations.

Am I the only maniac who's actually spent money to work on the UDC challenges? [One and Four. I'm hoping to do Five on the cheap.]
  11. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Ah, gotcha.

Probably :p Paid to get DVDs?
  12. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Mostly. Also a book or two, I think. The "hundred different fandoms" thing hasn't been as easy as it's looked. There's been research involved. I was thinking about it because this weekend, I got one of those four-movie, two-disc collections with the Ocean's Eleven trilogy and watched all three -- I'd only seen the first one before -- just so I could do a drabble. [Is standing in Best Buy looking for movies starting with O a sign of some kind of problem?]

EDIT: The fourth movie was the 1960 original. Didn't want anyone to lose sleep wondering.
  13. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    [face_laugh] Wow!! That does take dedication.
  14. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I think the word you're looking for is commitment, as in, "Where do I file the paperwork for involuntary commitment?"

Still that wasn't as bad as a couple sets back. [See what I said in the "Lesser-Known Fandoms" thread for an idea.]

The worst part is that I don't rent these to watch; I have shelves full of DVDs I bought at least in part because of the challenges. And then I didn't even use them all. :(
  15. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Wow. That's some serious dedication. Your DVD collection must be massive.
  16. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I prefer the original to the new ones.
  17. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Well, sure, but the newer series promised more fanfic potential. It's three movies instead of one, and the lower-tier members of the group are easier to distinguish -- even if they don't get much characterization beyond a hook, it's still more than "the other members of the unit." Sometimes I'll stick to my guns and go with the original of something, and sometimes I'll go populist.

EDIT: I passed the test for Who Wants to Be a Millionaire this week. Again. One of these years I might actually get in the pool.

EDIT II: Reminder: A drabble is exactly one hundred words. A short piece of another length might be a vignette or a ficlet or a... something else, but it's not a drabble. Grr. Hiss. Flames, flames on the sides of my face.

EDIT III: Reminder II: Yes, I am a man, a male of the species. Even if I did quote Madeline Kahn in that last edit.
  18. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    [face_laugh] I agree with FG; your collection must be huge!!

I haven't seen any of them (yet).
  19. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Love Madeline Kahn movies. Clue is one of my favorites.
  20. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Clue is such a good movie :D
  21. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Clue is a good game. :p

I haven't seen the movie.

Did you know that Clue is also a musical? And that it has 216 different endings? [face_batting]

Speaking of shows (jeesh... is that all I talk about these days? :rolleyes: ), I'm seeing two professional shows on Saturday (As You Like It and Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris). My sister is attending/performing at a wedding and we're the only source of transport for her. Just so happens that the wedding is in the same town as one of Canada's major theatre festival companies and we need something to do while she's at said wedding, so my parents and I figured, why not go see some shows? [face_laugh] Totally works for me! 8-} :D

Needless to say, I'm excited. I've performed in two shows in one day before, but I've never seen two different shows in one day before. [face_thinking]
  22. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    [face_laugh] It is a good game. I recommend the movie :D I'd not heard it was a play, but multiple endings doesn't surprise me (though the number does! Do they just rotate through them?) - the movie has 3.

That sounds awesome!! I've never heard of the second play, but it sounds like fun :D
  23. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I've heard of at least a couple different Clue musicals with varying levels of, uh, legitimacy.

216? Six suspects, six weapons, only six rooms?
  24. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    A friend of mine owns a dinner theatre company that is devoted to doing less... er... mainstream musicals. :p I didn't know this musical existed until her company did a production. The way the endings work is that audience members draw the three cards at the start of the show (just like at the start of a CLUE game :p ) so it's a different ending each time. :)
  25. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    But my parents said you shouldn't play with your food.

Sadly, they had to put aside their differences when they discovered that their beloved had been reduced to bones. But by then the beans had grabbed the gun from the mantelpiece. To be fair, you kinda knew someone was going to.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl