main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Idri: [face_laugh]

RX: I completely agree! I grew up without it (well, I say grew up--I got to high school without it, anyway), and I've never seen the need for it. It's so stupid, and it screws up your sleep schedule twice a year. Getting an extra hour of sleep once a year doesn't mean much when you get up early for the next week because your body's programed to your alarm cloc or because your kids/pets are programed to get up at a certain time and don't understand the change. It's ridiculous.

laure: I haven't seen the trailer. When does the movie come out? It sounds good. Also: I think it's the accents :D :p

2. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    The meer point to Day Light Savings is to provide farmers with an extra hour of daylingt during the summer time so they can work outside for longer. IN American, George Bush extended the DLS by a total of a month to extened that time for farmers. So for them, DLS is great.

3. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    It's pointless. Because we're (Indiana) are in EST, it's dark insanely early. Like it's getting dark at 5:13 p.m. Ick.

The trailer was okay. Chalize Theron nailed the creepy/evil of the role. Her parts were the only interesting ones, though, everything else was like eh.

4. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Yea, Daylight savings is now over. It's meant only for the summer time. Now that harvest season for many crops, there's no need for it.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm so glad to be done with finals! Does anyone have any fun holiday plans?

6. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Nothing but writing for me.

On another note, After working hard, I am getting close to being able to afford a Kindle Fire. I got to test it out, and it's everything I would want a tablet for! I don't get the few negative reviews, most people who get one are raving about it. The only reason that the Ipad would be considered better is because they have more apps for right now, and because it has a camera, and because of Itunes. I don't find those benefits worth paying $300+ more.

7. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Man someone please tell me where December went? Because Christmas is in a week and New Year's in two.

And yes sorry for disappearing but I started a new job and it's pretty hectic this time of year...

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Eh, I don't know enough about the Fire yet, but I'm not a big Amazon fan, after some of the stuff it's pulled with e-books.

I feel the same way! In fact, where did this whole semester go? 8-}

9. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    That's a good question, MJ.

Nothing major going on around here. I'm in the process of finding a new job, so money's tight right now.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yikes [:D] That's never fun. Good luck with the job hunt!

11. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I'm still swamped by this small thing called Ph.D. thesis writing, but I nonetheless took the time to watch the recently released trailer for the first part of The Hobbit...

Ai! Elbereth! I don't know if I'll be able to wait a whole year for the real thing. And I never thought I'd say that, but some of these dwarves are actually quite handsome (yes, Thorin Oakenshield, I'm looking at you). I must add, also, that I hope said dwarves sing more in the movie, if the wee snippet we got in the trailer is any indication of their general talent.

A special mention goes to Galadriel and Gandalf (seriously, Cate Blanchett and Ian McKellen rule these roles), and to the few snapshots we got of Imladris (I do hope we're going to see Elladan and Elrohir, as they were sorely missed in the LOTR trilogy).

For the curious, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqW_RsugUD0 . Impressive, how just a few images make me feel all the giddy enthusiasm of a twelve-year-old again.

Cheers,

Lauré :)

Random Comments likes this.
  12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yikes! What's your thesis, if you don't mind sharing?

I'm so excited for the movies! Unfortunately, the video says it's private :(

13. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Yes Fels, good luck with the job hunt.

And yikes! Thesis writing... and here I am thinking about going back to school. Actually I am, but you guys are starting to scare me away from it!

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You should totally do it! I complain, but I really do love it, and I'm sad I'm graduating this year. What would you go for?

15. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Damn, but I swore it was the actual link from the WB... Oh, well, I edited my post with a new, working link.

For the curious, my thesis is in Spanish Lit. I'm comparing the use of the same character in a play from the Golden Age and another in the late Francoism. A bit obscure (what thesis subject isn't?), but all sorts of fun too.

And MJ1011, if you've got a subject you love, you should totally do it. If you don't, well, going back to school just to add a few letters to your name isn't worth it. Consider the fact that you are going to work almost non-stop on the same subject for three to six (maybe ten) years. Other than that, it's your call, really.

Cheers,

Lauré :)

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    So cool! I'm never going to be able to keep all the dwarves' names straight, but I love Martin Freeman in Sherlock, so I'm very much looking forward to this! It won't be as epic as the trilogy, but I'm sure it'll be a fun ride.

Cool! I'm glad you're enjoying your thesis :) When's it due?

17. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I've got to get back to writting soon. I got the new Kindle Fire, and I can't put it down. I've already bought three ebooks, and with gift certificates, I ended up getting two seasons of Deep Space Nine that I can stream from the device, and watch Kung Fu Panda 2 and Star Trek. Some of the apps are very addicting, including Scrabble! I love Scrabble! I love my Fire!

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Glad you like it! I know others who are interesetd in it. Actually, there's a discussion about readers/tablets in SFFBC if you'd like to join in :)

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Hello, fellow NSWFFers. How is everyone? :)

(PS Happy New Year!)

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay, Idri! [:D] It's good to see you again!

Just gearing up for another semester (my last :_| )

Also, we'd really love it if people checked out and responded to our survey ... [face_batting]

21. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Idri!! [:D] It's good to see you here. :D

And yes! The little lost survey needs a bit of lovin'. [face_batting]

~MJ @};-

22. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Happy New Year!

23. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Hello all. I'm sure most of you won't remember me. Long ago (2007) there were separate contests for re-imagining scenes from the Original and Prequel Trilogies. I held various records in those contests (some of which are still intact as both contests were discontinued), including having the most wins, the most wins in a row, winning both contests the same week etc. I only bring it up for the sake of people who may remember me and just to show that I'm not some foreign interloper...I am actually a fan fic author :D.

In any case, I have written a number of non-Star Wars stories and I've decided to start posting some of them on this fine site so I figured I should introduce myself (or re-introduce I suppose). I've already posted the first story, a Batman tale (which I won't link to here because I'm a believer in stories being discovered, not presented...I'm weird that way) and there will be more posted in the coming days. So um...hello everyone, I look forward to reading your stories now that I've returned to the realms of fan fiction.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome! We're glad to have you, and we hope you stick around and hang out! I'm Nat :)

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    How have your 2012s been so far? Anyone making resolutions this year?