main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    If I don't get tickets, I'm not too worried. I'll still see it on Television.

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I suppose that's fair. :p
    I don't have a TV, so when I saw there was a theatre in my area, I made sure to get tickets.

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooooh, the Day of the Doctor! :D [face_dancing] I have the tickets, my TARDIS shirt and my fake sonic screwdriver at the ready! I am so thrilled that BBC is able to do a special in theaters around the world like this. It's really a great thing to experience as a fan, and I can't wait. :D

NYCitygurl and Random Comments like this.
  4. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I saw the mini episode on the net with Paul Mcgann. Wow, awesome! They're finally explaining alot of things, like what happened between Paul Mcgann in the two hour U.S. Movie and season 1 of the new series of Doctor Who. Even better yet, they actually explained why the Doctor may now have more regenerations now and that he can now regenerate to any race and sex.

Oh, I hope the story line that they played with in this mini episode is what the movie is going to be about. I would do a spoiler thing if I knew how to do it.

5. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    The minisode made me so incredibly happy. Paul McGann has always been my Doctor, and to have him back, even for just six minutes, was amazing.
    If only we could have more...

6. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    I have to work on Saturday but I'm wearing all my DW stuff.

And the minisode!!!

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I can't say I'm a Who fan, but I do think it's really cool that they're doing this. Maybe if it's successful, it'll be easier to get access to it (and other popular BBC shows) in the States.

8. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Well, I'm in the states, and I don't have a problem. The funny thing is, Syfy channel started with the first Season of Doctor Who when the series returned, but they canceled it after two or three seasons, and then I was forced to watch it in BBC America.

Changing subjects: I'm relaxing after a hard day work, and doing a Toy Story marathon. I'm currently on Toy Story 2. Man, They must have had a crystal ball or something. It's almost as if they knew Star Wars was coming to Disney. So many Star Wars spoofs in Toy Story 2. Classic!

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    The minisode! So many happy feelings!! :D [face_love]

For me, its funny to watch how huge Doctor Who has gotten in the States. I got into DW when Eccleston took over as 9. That year, we went to the Motor City Comic Con, and I couldn't even find a TARDIS keychain in a sea of geek-merchandise. Now, we went to that same convention this year, and there was DW stuff everywhere and cosplayers aplenty (all Eleven and Amy, for the most part, but there was a 4th Doctor handing out jelly babies :p). A part of me is glad for the boost for the series, but the other part of me whines and says "I liked it when it wasn't cool" whenever I walk into Hot Topic and see the wall of TARDIS shirts. And I am still a relatively new Who-fan compared to some of the old-faithful's in the fandom. [face_hypnotized] ;)

10. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Back when I was young, I couldn't watch it as often because we didn't get the channel it played on, but I got turned onto Doctor Who with Tom Bakker.

11. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    I gave into peer pressure... I'm looking at you Mira_Jade!

And I just watched. I may watch it again. Yes it was the good. I have this huge smile on my face! Made my horrible day awesome!

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    mrjop2 You are one of those old faithful's then. :D Tom Baker was an excellent Doctor. [face_love]

Master_Jaina1011 Ha haaa! You gave in to the Dark Side, my friend! [face_mischief] Sometimes peer pressure is a good thing, and I have no shame. ;) [:D] So it was good then?? I am fiercely avoiding spoilers until I can see it Monday. I have a friend in London, and the first thing she did when she got out of the theater was to very obnoxiously point out that she had seen it and I had to wait. It was fun. :p Kinda. o_O

13. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Mira_Jade it was phenomenal. I cannot wait to hear what you think. You'll squeal at some parts! Ok ok I squealed through the whole thing. And yes I did and I got my boyfriend into it. He was like I need to watch the show again. I am so proud!

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Mira_Jade , once you've seen it, we'll have to have a debrief. ;)

I enjoyed the thrill of it for the duration of the episode, but I had to work very hard to silence my inner critic. The episode was kind of like a summary of everything that bothers me about the current show. I was extremely disappointed.There were some great character moments and the dialogue is your typical Moffat shiny rapid-fire, but in general it made me feel kind of empty after watching it.

Definitely enjoyed An Adventure in Space and Time and The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot more as a celebration of 50 years of show history.

15. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Why can't those of us in America see the Five(ish) Doctors reboot? :(

I'm waiting for the theatre, trying to stay spoiler-free...

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Random Comments It's on the BBC site - try here. I'm in Canada and it worked for me (not sure about the States).

Meanwhile, I've started listening to Eight's audio dramas. Really enjoying them. Charley's awesome.

17. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Charley is great. :)

Not working for me here, but I'll try again on the PC at home...who knows?

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, the audio dramas! I still have to check those out. :)

And yes Idrelle_Miocovani! You will be getting a full report from me. There will be much discussion after, I foresee. ;)

Master_Jaina1011 And the pupil becomes the master, I see! Well done converting another. ;) [face_laugh][:D]

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Mira_Jade Probably yes - considering how much I did not like the 50th special. ;)

20. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Idrelle_Miocovani [face_laugh]

Well, that is always where the most discussion comes from. We humans have lots to say when something comes in beneath our expectations. ;) [face_laugh]

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm mostly just frustrated. I get very... wordy... and loud... when I'm frustrated. Especially when it comes to writing or acting things, which is basically what most TV is comprised of. :p

22. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Hmm...well, I rather enjoyed that. I imagine the theatre atmosphere helped, though. The applause for the opening credits, and the Doctors appearing, and all the laughter at the in-jokes and such.
    I do wish there'd been more with the Classic Doctors, though.

But then, I felt like that right after Name of the Doctor, too, and looking back on that, I can see a mess of wasted opportunities...

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The episode was awesome. Simply awesome. Especially the cameo near the end they managed to sneak in. One particular aspect to Clara they had for her in the special
    Being a teacher at Coal Hill
    actually falls in line with some of what I had in mind for her in a certain fic I need to get back to. There were some nitpics and some missed oppurtunities (
    Seriously Eccleston, you couldn't have come back for even a 60 second cameo?
    ), but over all it was a great ride.

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This episode was a breath of fresh air to the fandom. The 11 arch was running stale, and my opinion with Moffat's writing isn't always the highest, so I am glad with the change in the show. I am still on the fence with how I feel about his
    destroying his people and the Dalek's - thus turning the biggest and most character forming experience of his lives into a 'just a dream' kind of experience for him. As much as I enjoyed Hurt's performance (he stole the show for me, truth be told), I really would have preferred to see 8 in there as the War Doctor. There was no need for Moffat to insert his own character into that when the groundwork was already laid out for him. It seemed disrespectful, and it put a whole shadow on the episode as a whole. Actually, Moffat's whole showing of the Time War bothered me. Really? Lasers and Star Trek-esque battle scenes in a Time War? It was disappointing, on so many levels. As awesome as 10 and 11 meeting was, their banter hit me as two extremes - it either fell flat for me, or was truly entertaining. (The lines about kissing a Zygon, and 'I don't like it' in regards to the décor were brilliant), but that is a beef I have with New!Who's dialogue as a whole. :p Sometimes it feels like there is banter for banter's sake, and really - less is more, people. BUT, I did wholly enjoy the Moment. The idea of a weapon with a conscious (brilliant!), and Bad Wolf being the one to set up this opportunity for him to unwrite a huge wrong, and a chance for he himself to heal? I'm not going to lie, it hit me hard. [face_love] Even as out of the blue and unexplained as it was, the image of all of the Doctor's surrounding Gallifrey in the end was just an awesome, powerful moment, and I loved it. All of the references to Old!Who were awesome, and I loved Baker showing up at the end there. Just perfect. Time will tell if his handling of Gallifrey's destruction was a good or bad thing, so I am just waiting for series 8 to form my opinion on that. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. :)

That said, I enjoyed it, even with my complaints, and I am looking forward to The Time of the Doctor. [face_love]

25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, Juliet316! Idri and I were just talking about Eccleston the other day, and she had a fascinating quote to share from him about why he left Doctor Who, and so I figured that I would put it here. :) It kind of explains a lot . . .

"I left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run. I didn’t like the culture that had grown up, around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle.​

I thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of (edit). I’m not being funny about that. I didn’t want to do that and it comes to the art of it, in a way. I feel that if you run your career and– we are vulnerable as actors and we are constantly humiliating ourselves auditioning. But if you allow that to go on, on a grand scale you will lose whatever it is about you and it will be present in your work.​

If you allow your desire to be successful and visible and financially secure – if you allow that to make you throw shades on your parents, on your upbringing, then you’re knackered. You’ve got to keep something back, for yourself, because it’ll be present in your work. A purity or an idealism is essential or you’ll become– you’ve got to have standards, no matter how hard work that is. So it makes it a hard road, really.​

You know, it’s easy to find a job when you’ve got no morals, you’ve got nothing to be compromised, you can go, ‘Yeah, yeah. That doesn’t matter. That director can bully that prop man and I won’t say anything about it’. But then when that director comes to you and says ‘I think you should play it like this’ you’ve surely got to go ‘How can I respect you, when you behave like that?’​

So, that’s why I left. My face didn’t fit and I’m sure they were glad to see the back of me. The important thing is that I succeeded. It was a great part. I loved playing him. I loved connecting with that audience. Because I’ve always acted for adults and then suddenly you’re acting for children, who are far more tasteful; they will not be (edit). It’s either good, or it’s bad. They don’t schmooze at after-show parties, with cocktails."​

Which is a pity, because he is probably my favourite Doctor. It would have been wonderful to see him. [face_love]