main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    :( I loved college, but I definitely don't miss the tests/homework/papers. I like being able to come home from work and veg.

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I've still got to plan /for/ college. Yay things to look forward to!

When do sign-ups close?
    I'll at least debate with myself until then...

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Actually, it is something to look forward to. I actually threw a fit the day I graduate because I did not want to leave college. Best four years of my life (so far).

The challenge starts Jan. 1 (you can't start writing before then), and you have to have your first entry posted by the 15th.

4. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Outlining in ones head must be alright, though, right?

*gives in*
    I'll try it.

The bit about getting there is stressful, though.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  5. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Will someone remind me never to write a fan fiction on a musical again! Writing original songs when you're not a songwriter is frustrating at best.

Ha! Frozen knocked Catching Fire from the number one spot! I knew it would. Frozen is turning into one of Disney bigger animated movies, and I'm not surprised. Disney, in my opinion, has finally got it's animation studio back in order, and is doing a better job than Pixar as of late. In the last three years, Pixar has only Toy Story 3 that really knocked it out of the ball park. In those same three years, Disney's had Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, and Frozen, which all have hit home runs.

6. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    *psst* never write fan fiction based on a musical again!

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay! I think outlining is fine, even on paper; you just can't start writing yet.

8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    So . . . I saw the Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, last night at midnight.

And, my heart kinda hurts in my chest now. It was . . . all CGI-d battles, with very little heart and soul. Very little. While I am used to Peter Jackson playing fast and easy with Tolkien's canon. This was just . . . it was disappointing. And I am sad to say so. So very sad. :(

There is nothing *really* spoiler-y behind the cut, but just in case . . .

The perfect way to sum it up: Legolas had five lines and killed a few hundred Orcs. That's pretty much what the whole movie was like. All of these action scenes, may I add, were shot in ridiculously slow motioned shots with LOTS of CGI effects, until it nearly didn't look 'real'. There was little character development, no soul, and some tried and true favourite parts - like Beorn, Biblo vs. the Spiders, and the barrel scene were just butchered. Beorn's part was nearly completely cut, Bilbo's fast thinking and quick courage with the spiders was made into yet another action scene. Oh, but how awesome that could have been if it was the least bit like the book. Especially since the film had none of the lighter moments like the dwarves invading Bilbo's home in the first one to lighten up the film. And the barells! What?? That was just . . . no. No! :(

BUT, I have to say that Sauron and Smaug were both AMAZING, and the scenes with them gave me chills. Benadict did an AMAZINGLY chilling job with both voices, and If the whole movie was like that, I'd be a happy camper. (Even though canon is hopelessly muddled with Sauron's reveal. Hopelessly! Still, epic Gandalf vs. Sauron was epic. So epic. [face_love][face_hypnotized]) Bard too was fantastic. [face_love]

I just wish there was more character moments. Even if I can get over PJ and his reimagining of Tolkien's canon, I find it hard to forgive him cutting that warm core of brotherhood and friendship that permeates all of Tolkien's stories. There wasn't even a traditional 'the day is dark, but our bonds of friendship keep us going strong against evil' speech that ALL of the LOTR movies have had. :( I can forgive a lot in a plot if you still keep that core, and that core was gone.

Tauriel wasn't as horrible as I worried she would be, but she dominated the screentime, which was frustrating when SO MANY THINGS were cut or quickly glossed over in the plot. (And some of her lines were just horrible from a writer's perspective. 'You like death? Let me give it to you?' How did that make it into the final script?? :confused: She should not have had more lines than Legolas and Thranduil combined - that's really my largest complaint with her. And Thranduil! He has been one of my favourite characters since I first read about him as a kid. And the scenes we saw in the production blogs with him, that looked AMAZING, were slashed as well. I wanted more in depth exploration in the Woodland realm as a whole - especially in relation to their bond with the forest, and how they suffered personally with Sauron coming back on their soil. I wanted more of the Noldor/Sindarin/Silvan differences with the Elves, even if it was a couple of lines. It could have been awesome. But it wasn't.

The first Hobbit movie had so much heart and soul with Bilbo and Thorin, and there was none of that in this movie. I wanted a more in depth look at Thorin's gold-sickness. His bond with the mountain, and more about the First Ring of Durin. I wanted bromance, Eru-curse it all! Where was the bromance???

Basically said, I never want to see another rolling Orc-head in my life. Just . . . ewww.

Ewww.

And those are my thoughts, in short. I will probably have more of them after I digest. I am still running on a lack of sleep right now. ;)

9. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    That fairly well echoes everything I've heard about the film so far. I haven't seen it yet (it's Exams time! Why must these things appear at exams time?), but I imagine I'll feel rather the same way.

It really bothers me, because so much of the cast is so good, and if they'd done The Hobbit, instead of The Hollywood, the films could have been really amazing.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I saw it last night!

I actually liked it quite a bit more than Mira did, but I also am not a die-hard Tolkien fan, nor have I read the book. It was very action-y, but I wasn't bored.

Sauron and Smaug were excellent. I also really, really enjoyed Bard. Tauriel was fine, and I had feared I wouldn't like her. I wish we could have seen more of Thranduil.

I wasn't a fan of the end -- how are they going to start the next movie with a dragon heading for Lake Town? That seems very action-y for the very beginning. But I'm looking forward to it!

I wasn't bored at all. My biggest complaint with the last one was that they could have cut stuff; by the time the group was kidnapped by goblins, I was ready to head to bed. Not at all, this time.

I also finished my holiday shopping! And am reminded why I hate waiting until the last minute, even though I always do (malls are crowded and obnoxious, weather's horrible, and it's expensive even though everything's on sale).

11. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    There'll almost certainly be a prologue before they pick up the main storyline.
    And you really should read the book. Please?
    It's not very long, and it is very, very good.

It's been raining all day. :(

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm waiting until after the third movie. I saw LOTR before I read it, and I enjoyed it more that way (in fact, I wasn't huge on the books, but I LOVED the movies). This is the one fandom where I can say I'd rather not have the movies spoiled by the books.

13. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Ahh...yeah, might make the films more enjoyable that way. Though I still love the LotR films...
    As long as you do read it at some point.

14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I know it is a big surprise, but I am quite the opposite with Tolkien, NYCitygurl. ;) [face_laugh] I absolutely adore the books, and the movies have been amazing adaptations of Tolkien's work thus far . . . which is why I was so disappointed with this last one. It wasn't even in the same park with the previous films. It was beautiful to look at, perfectly casted, and there really were some moments I liked . . . but overall, none of the characters really grabbed me, I think is the best way I can explain my thoughts. I didn't care about the Dwarves' quest, or anyone's personal growth as a character. It just fell really flat on an intimate and personal level for the sake of having a movie-long action scene, it felt like. Which is a pity, for I think there was more of a balance before. :(

But, anywho - the rain, Random Comments! Tell me about it. It's been snow for us up in Michigan - and working in the snow has been craaaazy. The snow just came coming - we cleaned most of our jobs twice in two days, and now I am home catching a few hours of sleep before heading out again. This winter has been one of our heaviest yet. Which is great for business, and quite exhausting for me. [face_laugh]8-}

Trying to clean up around holiday shoppers on the weekend is always . . . interesting. I feel your pain, Nat! [face_laugh] And that is dealing with them on the outside! :oops:

15. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Just found out that Idina Menzel was nominated for a golden globe for her performance of Let it Go in Frozen. That award is as good as hers. Just give it to her right now.

VanishingReality likes this.
  16. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Snow? What is that stuff? Living in Florida we don't get that stuff. It's a nice, sunny 63 degrees and that is cold for us. and then we go up to 85 degrees this weekend.

It is insane at my work right now. I work in Owner Services for vacation ownership and people love to procrastinate saving their points so its always insane for us this time of year. But I make mad money this time of year. I love my paychecks come January.

17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Master_Jaina1011 - [face_laugh] Oh, you are teasing me! 85 degrees? You lucky Florida-ites. ;) It was 6 degrees here when I got home this morning. But, I like the snow - really I do. I just have to remind myself of that, sometimes. :p

I can only imagine working in fields like that at this time of year!! How crazy! 8-} But yes, I imagine the paychecks must be quite nice. ;)

18. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Mira_Jade yep 85 degrees. Come down to Florida. and 6 degrees.[face_hypnotized] I don't think I have been in that kind of cold. The boyfriend would not survive in that weather. He is a Florida boy through and through.

I going certifiably insane this time of year. But I'm lucky enough that my schedule allows me to have Christmas Eve/Day, New Year's Eve/Day off.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Haha Mira_Jade I am not even a little surprised you love the books :p I agree that the movie was very focused on action; for some reason, that didn't bother me as much as it usually would.

Oh, I will, Random Comments. I even own a copy of it! I did read the trilogy; I just didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as Mira :p

Uggg, I hate the snow. And we keep getting more of it here! I don't work far from my place, which is nice, but I still hate driving in it (especially after an incident in a parking lot last year that ended up costing me quite a chunk of money). Mira, I don't envy you! MJ, send some of that good weather to the Midwest!

20. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I saw The Hobbit today, and I loved. They didn't cut the movies off as well as LOTR, but still very good. You really have to look at the three movies as one whole movie. They're not reestablishing relationships in each movie. They did it all in the first movie and that's it. I did sense, however, that they stretching it way too thin. It felt like the next movie should be over after a half hour, which it won't be.

I definitely can see why some may complain about it. LOTR, each movie was it's own story, so they reestablished the bonds that were made, and they each felt like their own movie. The Hobbit, is totally different; it's like one movie being chopped into three parts.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree that it feels very chopped into pieces--particularly the way #2 ended ...

Does anyoe have fun plans for the holidays?

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well now the muse is toying with wanting to do two Clara diaries as companions to fics. *glares at muse*

NYCitygurl likes this.
  23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Juliet316: [face_laugh] Give in to them aaaaaaall! ;) [:D] I am so excited to see what your muse pops out. :D

NYCitygurl likes this.
  24. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    My muse is tired just like me. The craziness that is work kinda makes me muse diiieeeeee. it should come back at the beginning of the year.

My office is open today for the end of the year rush. you know the only way they got us to come in? By offering us an extra $10 an hour. who can resist that?

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002