main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    @laurethiel11138 - Can I second and third that please? With all of the Hobbit movies' faults, he has been a light in dark places, that's for sure. :p Thank-you for the link! :)

Juliet316 - Ack, talk about a horror story with your computer! :( I hope this one goes better! [:D] I had a similar experience with Best Buy, but thankfully I had so many things go wrong with my HP that I was able to trade it in underneath the Lemon Laws, and I have loved my Toshiba ever since. [face_love]

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Actors who write fan fiction are my absolute favourite.When I was training, almost every acting prof I had encouraged us to write stuff from the POV of our character, regardless of what play we were working on. It's always a treat to find out that some of your techniques are employed by big-name stars!

(I would pay to read that, too, Lauré!)

NYCitygurl and laurethiel1138 like this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Um, maybe you can help me?

4. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Ventured into the NSWFF thread list...
    Why are there always so many good new stories!? I was going to write today!

Cushing's Admirer
    What's your question?

(The name change is confusing me, but I like it.)

5. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It's about seeking input for non ff stuff. Some of you seem real nice but seem very skittish to be outside your character or era of choice. I am trying to decide whether to try and salvage some of my universe or begin afresh but I basically keep being headed off. I don't want problems I just would like an ear that listens and maybe a sounding board.

It's because I admire the real Sir Peter Cushing much more than merely a character of his like Tarkin. :D

6. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Sorry I vanished there.
    I've been contemplating watching the Cushing Holmes episodes...but I really should be writing. :p

I'm sure the posters here (myself included) would be willing to help.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I have seen both Lee and Cushing and Brett as Holmes. I think they all do well but are very different which makes sense given their very different personalities, makeups, and approaches to him. I recommend you go ahead and try Cushing. :D

That'd be great. Thanks, RC. [:D]

Well, see, I've been crafting my own story universes since I was 14 and it's my main passion world-building and writing. These last nearly 2 1/2 years circumstances not of my choosing have nearly broke my will to ever write again. I am just starting to recover and need to get the words flowing soon for the sake of my internal balance. I have desired greatly to do a Cushing, Irons, Price, and possibly Lee and McKellen tribute story but because my prior basis of my Irons, Lee, and Cushing characters have been tainted I am uncertain what to do. I really don't want to lose the characters but they aren't what I envisioned or intended anymore yet it is very scary to just delete 18 years of various work and potentially two incomplete but pretty developed tales. One is a human earth drama and the other is a half-written rewrite of a fantasy scifi.

I was hoping for feedback and maybe if someone would help me generate ideas by asking questions or simply listening to my ideas and giving feedback.

8. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I definitely intend to see it. (I think I saw his turn in Baskervilles years ago.)
    My mind is just fighting over priority between that and writing at the moment.
    I've seen the old Rathbone films (he was good, but Watson was far too bumbling), and enjoyed the Brett series as well.
    I'll have to get a copy of Lee's work, I don't think I've seen it.
    I enjoy the modernized Sherlock on BBC as well, but it /is/ rather modern. MUCH better than the action Holmes films Hollywood's been making.

Have your characters changed, or your view of them changed looking back? Or were they never quite what you intended?
    Don't get rid of copies the old stuff. It's always helpful to have. But, scary as it is, restarting is sometimes the best option, and can lead to something vastly better than your original attempts... The Doctor (not Cushing's version, however) once said that "Life depends on change and renewal." Writing can as well.
    I've taken stories fairly far through the writing, and then gone and rewritten the whole thing, producing something different, and in many cases better. Sometimes, things can stay. But often, some things just aren't right.
    Salvage stuff if you can, but if its not what you want, write what you do want.

But whatever you do, write.

9. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Which one? Peter did it twice 1959 and 1968. Rathbone is the only one I haven't tried. Should I consider it? The modern one is too modern it doesn't fit to me. :p Lee's is a foreign film and to my shock I found him the most reasoned Holmes and most likable (I had thought to side with Cushing but sometimes old Chris surprises me :)) The Hollywood ones almost make me laugh. I respect Bretts dedication to the character.

They have never been quite what I intended. I was just on the cusp of another complete rewrite when things went horrible and I didn't write hardly at all for over 2 years and it is largely because someone was majorly interfering with my creative process. Thankfully, they have at last relented and I'm now left to sort the pieces or not.

Thanks, RC. [:D]That's what I need to hear more of. That it's okay to return to myself and write what I want and need.

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] We have so many talented writers!

Cushing's Admirer never delete old stuff! But don't be afraid to start over--it's part of the process!

11. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I don't know, I honestly don't remember for sure. It was a /long/ time ago, after my first big mystery phase, having read the 60 stories in the canon. (The second mystery phase came with the discovery of Poirot- Read them all over the summer.)
    I've read a book about every Holmes filmic/televised adaptation so far, and definitely remember reading of Lees version. Being foreign doesn't dissuade me, and the library tends to be quite good at buying anything i ask them for. Lack of an American release, however, likely would dissuade me. I'll have to look it up.
    Rathbone was good, but his Watson started the whole "bumbling idiot/comic relief" trend, which can be irritating at times. The stories also (often, anyway) update Holmes to then then-modern day, though it's not as jarring as Holmes with a smartphone.
    I can't even be amused by the Hollywood ones. Well, that's not quite true. It amuses me when their London includes buildings not yet built at that time. But I couldn't force myself to watch them again, which says something.

Yes, exactly.Write what you want. If you aren't happy with it, it'll show, and you still won't be happy with it. If you write what you do want, at least you can enjoy it, and its far more fulfilling as a pastime.

But again, keep copies of the old stuff. You never know when referencing it might help with a great idea.
    Sometimes sections can return, and at the least, seeing what you did helps you see what you don't want to do now.

I know!

Well, I ended up writing a little bit, anyway. I'll probably get the diary up soon-Ish, once I deal with formatting.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think part of my problem is I don't want to lose a name: Zadok. It embodies how I see Cushing and suits my tribute character for him to a T or at least it did once. But Zadok has been through so much as have I regarding him that I am simply worn out. I think my Peter character needs a new name. I think that's key. Would anyone like to try and help me name him? I usually go by a meaning that I think suits a trait of Cushing when I name his tribute character(s). Zadok is often said to mean Just or Justified which spoke to his mild and striving nature.

I am afraid to start over. It will leave quite a void in me.

13. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Starting over doesn't mean rejecting the past, just striving for better.
    I do like that name, but I can see your point.

Cushing's Admirer
    Is there a style for names that you prefer? A specific trait you'd like the name to embody?

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Random Comments: I do like Hebrew names but I also like world names that mean something that suits my template/character. I was considering: Andrei, Radek, or Zedekiah. I have used them before in other attempts but they all have basically been scrapped too. With Cushing I would focus on names that denote empathy, care, love, hope, faith, or mildness.

Thanks for this, it helps simply to talk it out. :)

15. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    [face_sigh] Had a bunch of names, but my post auto-refreshed. Shall attempt to reconstruct.

I'm glad to do what I can to help.

16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, RC. I'm very curious.

17. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Latif, Halim, Keefe, Bonar, Gareth, Atif, Ellis, Benigno. (Kind/gentle)
    Amadeus (God's love)
    Caradoc, Ehud, Lubomir, Craddock, Philo(love)
    Klemens/Clement (mild, giving mercy)
    Caleb, Lafayette (faith), Traugott (faith in God)
    Amal, Von (hope)

Do you like any of these?

18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Ooo, I like Amadeus, Ehud, and Caleb. :)

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Cushing's Admirer - if you're looking for names, http://www.behindthename.com/ (for first names) and http://surnames.behindthename.com/ (for surnames) are great resources. They function as a search engine, so you can look for different specifics: meanings, masculine/feminine/unisex, popularity, origin, etc. It's pretty great, I use it a lot. :)

Very well said.

It took me a while to get that, but I think working in theatre has helped me understand the growing nature of any art, no matter its form. Things are always changing and growing. I might be satisfied with Draft #6 one day, and then six weeks later I'm going, "Hmm, maybe not", and that's totally okay. I really enjoy the editing process now - the main work is done, but it's just down to tweaking the little things and the details, considering the new to improve upon the old.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks. :D I love names. I like the editing process too. I am a constant revisionist. It's just hard to start over after so much is invested. Yet, I do think it's needed. I feel to do anything else will be reopening me and my work to being poised which is what I'm trying to get free of.

I would also really like to use Adolphus as the name of possibly my Lee's character's grandson. I like that it means Noble Wolf and I don't think it's fair that some names seem to get black listed.

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I have to agree with both of those statements completely! =D=

Take what you like from your past stuff, and do not be afraid to start over. Sometimes the editing process is for the best, and it can refresh your work when you are feeling stale or stumped. I am making my way through the beginning of your novel now Cushing's Admirer, and you have some great plot ideas and characters going. (Which I will get back to you on when I am done. [:D]) If what you had isn't stirring your writing, don't be afraid to revamp and refresh - just as long as you keep on writing, especially when the writing process itself is something that brings you so much joy. :)

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  22. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I can see why that name might be an issue, but at the same time, it does sound good.
    Names are cool things. Glad you found some you liked. :)

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, guys. [:D] This has really helped. Mira, thanks for your post. I was just thinking I ike my Peter character in my fantasy rewrite (if he's there I have to check :p If he is, he's called Bendek Agilefoot, I think). He's the closest I've gotten to doing my Peter tribute character right so far. I look forward to your thoughts.

Random Comments likes this.
  24. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I am so ecstatic that Frozen is going to be a Broadway musical starting in 2016. If there ever was a Disney movie that deserved a Broadway music, it is,without a doubt, Frozen. I don't think any Disney movie has ever made such a fast transaction to the stage as this movie is. Disney is really trying to capitalize on the run away smash hit that they stumbled upon. It only took 15 years for them to create a new smash hit.

I know everyone is already demanding the role of Elsa to be handed to Idina Menzel, and we all know that she has the voice for it (she was perfect in the movie and her song Let it Go, but I don't know if she could pull off a 21 year old young women live on stage anymore. I mean, I can't fathom anyone else doing the role, but realistically, that expectation may be a little much. I hope I'm wrong, because she is awesome!

25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, how cool! That is definitely a musical I would pay to see. [face_dancing]

And that's a good point about Idina . . . she is 42 now? I know that the stage can do a lot with their tricks, so if they choose to use her I would be excited. And if not, I am excited to see who they are going to bring in. :)