main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I figured. It seems unfortunate though.

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Glad to hear it. :)

The Internet isn't always the best reflection of real life...

I'd be willing to help out through PM if you wish.
    There's a weather front moving through, though, so my access to Internet could be in jeopardy...

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Cushing's Admirer - Well, maybe it is unfortunate, but you have to consider the purpose of this section of the JC boards. It's specifically for a community of fan fiction writers, so the options and guidelines are built to cater to the needs of the people who write and post their fan fics. If it accepted everything, it would be rather chaotic (not to mention the legal issues with people posting bits and pieces of original work that they may want to later get published "for real").

I suggest that if you want to exercise your writing muscles and get feedback from the community, participate in some of the writing challenges. All writing is great practice, no matter what it is, even if the outcome doesn't lead to anything you can use for a later project. You don't have to write established canon characters if you don't want to. You can take some of the concepts you're working on for your own original work and place them within a established world (like Harry Potter or the Hunger Games or Marvel Comics or whatever) and just let them run. You can then post that piece and get some feedback on your writing, if you want it. :)

Personally, in terms of writing up a study on traits for a character, it's not something I think you need to spend a lot of time on. Most of the time I just skip over it. While I usually have a list of traits and observations kicking around in the back of my mind, I find it much more useful to make something practical out of it: maybe it's a small scenario with two characters that showcases their strengths and faults, maybe it's a tiny piece of dialogue to help develop their "voices". It's one thing to say that a character is "charming, but opinionated" and another thing to bring those traits to life.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I get that I just don't understand why tribute writing can't have a place too. I'll just go to PM. I can't do the challenges even at least and post them because I am not comfortable doing fanfic writing on moral grounds.

Every writer has their own process. I am glad yours works for you. I have several factors and reasons why I have to do some writing on Peter and if I can't post it here, okay.

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm sure tribute writing can have a place, but a fan fiction community probably isn't it. :)

Oh, of course! It's like that for anything in an artistic field, since everyone is different and everyone has a different approach. What works for one person might not work for another, although it is fun to play around with new processes and discover new ways of doing things. I think it freshens things up a bit. :)

All the best with your projects!

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yeah, hence why I asked to begin with. :p

Thank you. :) Doing a trait sheet on a character template will actually be totally new for me. But, it will be interesting and informative I think. It also may well assist me in sorting out a lot of personal issues I am striving to overcome.

7. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Cushing's Admirer - Everything Idri said was spot on. This side of the boards is for fan fiction, and anything involving real life characters or original work we can't have posted here because of legal issues. I am sorry that fan fiction isn't the right fit for you, but that is what these particular forums are for. :)

That said, I am not even sure where you would post actor tributes on this site. I know you are running a Peter Cushing fan club, maybe something like that can be posted there? I am not sure of the exact posting regulations in the SW comm, so make sure to check with a moderator for that section of the boards before doing so. :)

In the end, I am simply glad that you are inspired to write again, and I wish you all the best with your original work. [:D]

8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I understand that, I'm sorry you guys think I don't. I figured I can't post here but thought I'd ask to be sure.

It's more accurately an original work I will never write actor fic. Not my place. *Line removed for baiting.*

Thank you. :)

9. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I'm looking at the list of movies to be released this year....

WOW, this is going to be an exciting year. It will either be a disappointing year or a year to remember!

The Monuments Men
    Robocop
    Non-Stop
    3 Days to Kill
    Captain America 2
    Rio 2
    The Amazing Spiderman 2
    Godzilla
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    How to Train Your Dragon 2
    22 Jump Street
    Transformers: Age of Extinction
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    Gaurdians of the Galaxy
    The Expendables 3
    The Hobbit: There and Back Again
    Night at the Museum 3

And that does not include films that I am on the fence on. I could easily see some of these films being very good, and some very disappointing. These are my must see movies. I fully expect Captain America 2 and How to Train Your Dragon 2 to be on my best movies of the year list. The Hobbit will most likely be on that list too. The rest will be a toss up. From that above list, the ones I think are the most likely to be the most disappointing is: The Amazing Spider-man 2, X-Men: Days of Future past, Transformers, and Gaurdians of the Galaxy.

And yes, I intentionally left Hunger Games off the list. I have no desire , whatsoever, to see that. It's not my cup of tea, just like Twilight.

Movies I most likely will see, but have no expectations of seeing a good movie include:

The Lego Movie
    Winter's Tale
    Noah
    Need for Speed
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Interstellar

Yes, I'll go see The Lego Movie, mostly because I love the Lego movie video games, in particularly the Star Wars, the Batman 2, and the Marvels Superheroes. Those games are hilarious! I just love it in the Lego Marvel Heroes where Captain America is bummed out because Magneto desecrates the Statue of Liberty, and Coulson cheers him up by giving him a cookie. Next thing you know, Captain America, Nick Fury, Agent Summers and everyone on the helicarrier are partaking of CouIson's cookies. I love Agent Coulson in that game. If the movie is anything like these games, it could be downright funny, but something tells me that it's not going to be anything like them.

That's my movie to-do list this year. Yes, I'm a big movie buff, and my interests crosses many different movie genres. This list only includes movies that have been announced. There are other movies that may come out that hasn't been announced yet.

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    That is an excellent list, mrjop2, and I find that I am on agreement with you for most of it. As a Marvel fangirl myself, this year looks to be especially exciting (can I squee over Guardians of the Galaxy enough?? And Steve! [face_love]). And The Hobbit. I would be excited enough just for that, let alone with the rest of the list. :p [face_love]

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Honestly, I'm probably most excited for How to Train Your Dragon 2. I am in love with Jay Baruchel's voice. [face_love] (though, really, I adore HTTYD to death: I love the world/story/characters/dragons/animation/music... I loved everything about the first film!).

12. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Same here! HTTYD 2 for best animation of the year, I'm calling that right now! The first movie rocked, the series is just as good, and everything I'm hearing about HTTYD 2 is downright exciting!

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm most excited for the Hobbit :D I'd be more excited for Hunger Games except that I didn't enjoy the third book as much as the first two. I also think Divergent could be really good if it was done correctly.

I loved the first Divergent book right away, but the second was meh, and the third made me cry. I don't know that I'd see all the movies, but I loved the first one and was really looking forward to it in the three or four weeks between starting the trilogy and finishing it :p

I'm also stoked about The Monuments Men. It combines my favorite things (history and art). I think that's one to see with the parents.

14. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Never heard of divergent. It kind of sounds like a sci fi thriller.

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Divergent is one of the YA dystopia novels that came out after The Hunger Games re-popularized the dystopia tropes in young adult fiction. Personally, I think it's kind of a horrible novel (sorry Nat! :( ) - I found the characters bland, the consequences of their actions didn't land very well, the worldbuilding is questionable, and the prose is the generic YA format.

I'm just really, really particular about the way dystopia is used in literature (I grew up on Margaret Atwood and George Orwell) and I think a lot of the YA dystopias don't dig deep enough and, as a result, they might present a really interesting concept that is entirely underdeveloped and a socio-political structure that makes little to no sense and doesn't do anything to open up a discussion about the topics at hand. The book feels more like a list of "interesting/cool" ideas and moments that are haphazardly linked together by the barest strands of character and plot.

(I'm being really harsh, I know, but this book really set my teeth on edge.)

I didn't see the movie, but it's possible that the adaptation smoothed over a lot of the bumps in the book and made it a better story (like The Hunger Games - the movies are better than the books IMO), but I didn't like the story or the characters to begin with, so... Divergent is kind of just off my list. :p

16. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    My Top Ten of movies to see in 2014:
    1. The Hobbit: There and Back Again. 'Cause I'm a Tolkien nut and await with bittersweet expectations this last foray into Middle-Earth.
    2. Belle. A tale of the racial divide in Georgian England. Interesting premise, if nothing else.
    3. The Invisible Woman. A great look at Victorian England and the life of Dickens, with Ralph Fiennes acting and directing.
    4. Into The Storm. Twister movies aren't usually my forte, but seeing Richard Armitage again on the big screen might just be worth it.
    5. Le Passé. After discovering Bérénice Bejo in The Artist, I'm quite looking forward to seeing her shine again.
    6. Jane Got a Gun. Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor reuninting for a Western-type movie. Enough said.
    7. Dracula Untold. The historical/mythological angle on that Dracula movie is original, at least. And colour me interested at the prospect of seeing Luke Evans in the title role.
    8. Pompeii. I saw the original city (or at least its ruins) and am mildly interested to see the reconstitution. And looking at Kit Harington isn't much of a chore, either.
    9. Winter's Tale. Supernatural time-travelling romance with Brown-Findlay, Farrell and Crowe. Spiffy combo, if I may say so.
    10. Maleficent. Because if I must go to one "children's movie" this year, then I might as well challenge myself with something unusual.
    Honourable mentions to:
    • How To Train Your Dragon 2. I liked the first one, so I may be tempted to see its sequel.
    • Noah. Because of Russel Crowe and Emma Watson. Plus Aronofsky is sure to put a twist in there somewhere.
    • Exodus. If there's one actor out there who can take up Charlton Heston's mantle and not crumble, it's Christian Bale, make no mistake about it.
    Lauré :)

17. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Wow, I can't wait for that special episode of the Big Bang Theory!

The one with the special guest stars Carrie Fisher and James Earl Jones. Seeing them butt heads in is going to make this episode the best Big Bang episode yet!

Wow, Arrow is getting awesomer by the week! I can hardly wait until the fall until the Flash is unleashed! Then, we'll have two awesome shows on the same channel! Now, if we can just get the CW to put out Amazon! Who wouldn't want a kick-butt Wonder Woman series!

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Idri -- the worldbuilding gets a little insane, but that doesn't happen until the last book (and by then, it had lost its charm for me :p ). I can definitely see why people wouldn't like the series, though (and, as a whole, I didn't; just the first book).

Laure, I'm not surprised the Hobbit is at the top of your list :p I've never heard of Jane Got a Gun, but if Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor are in it, that might be good enough for me! I also really want to see Maleficent. I don't love Angelina Jolie, but I do love Sleeping Beauty.

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I have to agree about Maleficent. Angelina Jolie is not my cup of tea, but the premise of the movie I am just looking forward too. [face_love]

And The Invisable Woman - thank-you so much for bringing that one to my attention laurethiel1138! I find that I am really, really looking forward to that one. Anything with Nelly Ternan getting a closer look, and Ralph Finnes directing and acting, at that, is going to be high on my to-see list. [face_love] The same goes with Jane Got a Gun - I look forward to seeing Portman and McGregor together again. [face_love]

NYCitygurl likes this.
  20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    laurethiel1138 I'm also kinda interested in the Dracula one. What makes it different than other Dracula stories?

21. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    On the casting news for Batman vs Superman movie...

Jeremy Irons is AWESOME to play Alfred! I have mixed feelings about Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. I love him as an actor, but he is way too young. What... Superman is about in his young thirties in Man of Steal? For someone like that to go up against a twenty-something year old Millionaire tycoon? Granted, that will kinda show how smart he really is, I mean to become a billionaire in their twenties, he's got to be a modern day Doogie Howser, but it just seems so wrong to beat up such a young man. I wouldn't mind if the roles were reversed... If Superman was in his twenties and Lex Luthor was in his thirties or forties, but this is kinda weird. I like Jesse enough to give him the chance he deserves, I mean he's got the attitude down perfect (sadly in real life, he's just as much of a jerk as most of the characters he plays, character speaking). I guess It shouldn't be too bad as long as Superman doesn't go crazy and beat him up to a pulp. I mean, make it a battle of wits and that might just be great. And then again, on another aspect, why do we need Lex Luthor again! Why can't we ever get another villain like Metallo, Darkseid, Livewire, etc. We keep getting the same villains over and over and over and over again.

Oh, and James Earl Jones is a hoot! He was good in the BBT. I also die laughing every time I see him in those spring commercials with Malcolm McDowell.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Off-topic for a moment: do any of you writer folk have suggestions on figuring out what kinds of character moments/scenes to cut because your work is too long? I've been editing the same play all day drying to get the page count down from 73 pages (which is about an hour and a half of stage time) to 55 (which is about an hour of stage time, give or take depending on formatting). I've gotten it to 61 pages and I've run out of blatantly obvious things to cut. Argh. [face_waiting]

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    My Padawan told me about Jeremy Irons as Alfred today and I have to say I'm interested. If it really happens I want to see it. :D

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Considering I wrote a chapter of one of my fics that ended up being nearly six paper pages long because I didn't want to omit anything, I'm probably not the right person to ask.:p

Oh and if anybody's interested and doesn't feel like braving the JCC, the next Doctor's costume was revealed:

[​IMG]

25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Idrelle_Miocovani: Ack! That is a tight spot. :( And my heart is just hurting for you knowing all of the work you have put into that play.

When push comes to shove like that, it's time to start cutting anything that doesn't have to do with the plot. 'Filler' scenes, or 'in-between' scenes. Lines that you may have previously had included just to slow down the dialogue or pace the story. It's like trimming a drabble down to a hundred words, anything irrelevant to the point of the drabble has to go. Now, that is easier said than done, and then you run the risk of your plot moving too fast and slapping people in the faces - so, your's is a job that I do not envy at the moment. 8-} :oops: I can't really think of anything else to say in generalities, but I do wish you all the best. [:D]

Oooh, thanks for that Juliet316! I think that may be one of my favourite costumes for the Doctor yet. [face_love]

Juliet316 likes this.