Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    UPDATE: Well, we don't have to worry about the Olympics postponing the Michael J. Fox Show, because the show's been canceled. I guess I can't be too surprised, it was cute, but I had a feeling that it wasn't going to last. The Crazy ones is much better.

Yeah, that was a good episode!

Now that all my Wednesday night favorite programs have aired, I get to sit down and Watch Thor 2! I'm so excited they released the HD digital version 2 weeks early.

I just love the hidden scenes!
    Show Spoiler
    How the Collector got his hands on an infinity stone (referring to the stones of the infinity Gauntlet which Thanos ends up wielding (probably in Avengers 3 or 4). I never heard him say, "one down... five to go" before. I must of missed that. That must mean he's working for Thanos to collect all six stones. And right there, amongst all the collectables was Adam Warlock's cacoon (in the comics, he was really the only one who could stop Thanos and his ultimate power given to him by the Infinity Gauntlet.) This just keeps on getting better.

Second, if you don't want spoilers for Captain America 2... don't watch the trailer and the behind the scenes of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. HUGE spoilers in that preview. I mean, so huge, it might just ruin the biggest twist of the movie. I can't believe they revealed that much.

And holy CROW! That mini movie with Ben Kingsley ALL HAIL THE KING!

Show Spoiler
    They totally fixed the screw up in Iron Man 3. Just maybe, we'll end up getting the real Mandarin! That is awesome how they fixed that blunder of how the Mandarine was just actor! I love how the real Mandarin broke him out of jail in order to make him pay for stealing his name. Now, it makes Iron Man 3 a little more enjoyable. As the cameo from Sam Rockwell! Classic!

Update: I crossed off the first movie on my list. The Lego movie was very cute. I was ready to put that in my not surprisingly disappointed, and almost did until the end of the movie. It had to be one of the most ingenious endings to an animated film I've seen. It was surprising and touching. All I will say without giving spoilers is that it makes the rest of the movie better. I have to put this movie in my surprisingly good movies.

Would I recommend this movie? I would recommend seeing this movie at least once, whether you are the type to wait until it comes out onto disk or the type to go see everything in the theaters... it's definitely worth seeing at least once.

UPDATE: Okay, it's been 24 hours and I've been debating whether I should update this, and I decided what the heck. After contemplating what I saw, I would definitely put The Lego Movie in my very good movies. It is very brilliant, touching, and I think the critics are right the head on this one. This movie may be a very strong contender for best animated feature next year. I would dare say it is a surprise hit. I would rate it up there with Toy Story 3.
    Last edited by mrjop2, Feb 7, 2014
  2. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Bummer that they canceled the MJF show! I love him, and I thought it was cute.

Has anyone been watching the Olympics? I passed out too early last night to catch men's figure skating :(
  3. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I am watching the olympics, but Figure skating is the only sport in the Olympics I'm not watching. LOL
  4. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Haven't been. Too busy. I probably will catch some of the events next week.

I know a lot of people who are boycotting them, so things haven't been really all that Olympic-y on my end.
  5. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Figure skating is my favorite. I actually had to choose last night between women's and my basketball team's game. And then all that choosing was for naught because I was babysitting and their TV wasn't working :(

I thought about boycotting them because Putin etc. have pulled some really **** moves, but I don't want to boycott the athletes that have spent so much time and energy to get there and can't help that the committee chose a not-so-great place. I totally respect the people who are boycotting, though.
    Idrelle_Miocovani likes this.
  6. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Exactly - the problems surrounding the LGBTQ+ community in Russia would still exist even without the Olympics taking place there, so I don't quite follow how boycotting the Olympics will lead to Russia understanding that there is a major problem with the way they treat their LGBTQ+ community. The Olympics represent a coming-together of people across the world, and I think that is important (and actually, quite a few countries are using the opportunity to make a point to Russia).

I took a break from writing yesterday to catch some of the events in the afternoon. There's been a lot of talk on the Canadian side of things about the Dufour-Lapointe sister trio who compete in moguls. Two of them won the gold and silver yesterday at the event (the other sister came tenth); it was a really lovely moment for them.

Caught the end of the figure skating team event. Charlie White and Meryl Davis killed their routine. It was some absolutely fantastic skating. (Out of all the figure skating events, ice dance is my favourite - it's just so fluid and the tiny little details are so complex and they usually have awesome music choices :p ).
  7. laurethiel1138 Force Ghost

star 4
    The Olympics were a big thing for me when I was a child and a teenager, but I've become slightly disenchanted with the whole process. Between the highjacking of the Games for political agendas and the ongoing doping scandals, it's become hard for me to feel any enthusiasm about it. I know that the culprits are probably few amongst many other innocent souls, yet I cannot help but feel that the ideal has been tarnished, to say the least. I'm happy as the next person when I have news of good results (for either my country or another country I happen to like, not being overly chauvinistic), and I enjoy watching some of the events (such as the figure skating champions' show), but I am not so terribly disappointed if real life interferes and I have to do something else.

Lauré :)
    Last edited by laurethiel1138, Feb 9, 2014
    Mira_Jade and Idrelle_Miocovani like this.
  8. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I find my view of the Olympics really lining up with @laurethiel1138 here. When I was younger, there was a glitter and a glamour to the games, but now the Olympics as a whole have really soured in my opinion. It is a call for world togetherness, but it only seems to bring more strife and scandal in its wake - with both the political arena around it, and with the athletes themselves. I do enjoy the talent that goes into the sports, and I will watch and enjoy the games when they are on, but I never really go out of my way to view them, neither do I feel a pull with any country in particular while I am watching - I just enjoy the sport for the sport's sake.

When I do watch, I try to catch the figure skating more often than not. The grace and fluidity of their routines just astounds me, and I am always enchanted when watching them. (When I was a child, I was convinced that I was going to grow up and be Michelle Kwan, before I discovered just how absolutely graceless I was. Still, I love skating whenever I can. :p)
  9. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    What... no love for curling? LOL. I guess I'm the oddball and the only one who loved curling.
  10. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    @laurethiel1138 and @Mira_Jade, you both make great points that I also agree with. The political side, the scandals, the international squabbling... it quickly becomes just too much. However, part of me still gets a great thrill at seeing the experts perform the sports that I absolutely adore and normally don't have a chance to watch on TV (where else are you going to watch competitive skiing, aside from the Winter Olympics? :p And there is so much skiing... [face_hypnotized] ). So, I do really enjoy watching the Winter Olympics (not so much the Summer ones, I don't have the same investment in the summer sports) and at the moment, it makes a great break from the writing I'm working on.

@mrjop2, I personally love curling. :p My grandfather curls, so I grew up spending a lot of time watching his curling team compete whenever I was visiting.

Just... winter sports. I love winter sports. [face_love] (Except for hockey. I distinctly do not like hockey, and I don't care if that makes me un-Canadian :p ).
    Last edited by Idrelle_Miocovani, Feb 9, 2014
    laurethiel1138 likes this.
  11. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm watching the Olympics, and keep seeing advertisements for the animated movie Dr. Peabody and Sherman. Looks cute, but I can't help but think they've missed a chance for a joke. In the commercial, the police officer is tazing the French Dude, the greek soldier is like, "Take it easy, bro!" I keep hoping and expecting him to say, "Don't taze me, bro!"
  12. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I feel the same way. And I got to watch ice skating last night, so I'm happy :)

I saw those previews. They looked cute; I might have to borrow a small family member and go see it.
  13. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I am not surprised that The Lego movie made nearly 70 Million dollars on opening weekend. It was a very very good movie, with probably the most touching and ingenious endings I've ever seen for animated film. Well done Warner Brothers!
  14. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  15. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, it's been confirmed then! I'll be watching, and now all the fans on Tumblr are going to go crazy!

On a more serious note...

R.I.P Shirley Temple! Your films, from your childhood, were classics! A legend of the silver screen was lost today!
    Last edited by mrjop2, Feb 11, 2014
  16. laurethiel1138 Force Ghost

star 4
  17. Luminous beings are we... Jedi Master

star 1

Oh... May she be ever remembered, and loved.
  18. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Oh wow . . . R.I.P. Shirley Temple. [:D]:(
  19. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I know the idea of studying Mesopotamian tablets sounds super boring, but I find it really fascinating. Thanks for the link; I'm definitely going to check it out.

And RIP Shirley Temple! I find her fascinating, including her work as an ambassador after she left acting.
  20. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  21. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah! The Original Joker as passed on.
  22. laurethiel1138 Force Ghost

star 4
  23. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    That was Cesar Romero who played the original live action Joker.
  24. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, oops! You're right. Their names were so similar.
  25. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Ug, I have BEYOND had enough of this crappy weather. Took me four or five times loger to get home tonight than usual. Snow is no longer pretty, it's just the worst.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl