main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Okay, I've seen a a few pics from the new Star Wars animated series, and my curiosity is starting to rise. I now have a raised eye brow just like Spock. "Fascinating."

I know... that's blasphemy... LOL!

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No it isn't. :p Honestly I have no idea why some insist on making a fan war between Trek and Wars. I like both. Yes, I know you weren't serious but my point stands. I've seen some of the reveals. What appeals to you?

3. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Some people do. I love both of them myself.

not giving out spoilers, because I know next to nothing, but from the character images I've seen, it seems to focus more on ordinary people in a galaxy ruled by the empire. Other than the bad guys, the good guys doesn't seem to be Jedi, it seems to be ordinary individuals coming together to stand up against oppression. I don't know if that's what the series about, but that's what I first thought from the character images, and that kind of aspect would be very interesting to me, more so than a rehash of the Clone Wars, which was really good. Up to this point, I just never understood why we needed another animated feature with more Jedi fighting Sith. No a rag tag group of individuals standing up against a Sith Lord definitely would spark my interest more right now.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That makes sense. Particularly given the time period it's set in. The Jedi should be all but dead because of Order 66. So more Jedi vs Sith, really doesn't mesh.

Yet, I don't like how them imply styling from the Empire is good in one of the clips. That's not a good message to give kids. That's the thing with these animated shows that irks me. They are presented to appeal to kids while dealing with major issues in an unhealthily sanitized manner. Unfortunately the films themselves do this. I also worry very much that the forced black vs white view will continue. I really was hoping it wouldn't.

I like that a few of us admit to liking both. :)

5. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    For me, being a fan of Trek and Wars is a bit akin to loving two of your children. You like each of them for their different qualities, even as you might be conscious of their faults. Doesn't mean one is inherently better than the other, only that they're two interesting ways to have fun and immerse yourself in a different world for a while. Sometimes you're in the mood for the one, and other times you're in the mood for the other. And yet more times, you want to see something else entirely, going on an adventure in Middle-Earth, for example...

Lauré :)

6. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I love Foxtrot when it pits these three fandoms together. One come had Jason (the kid) dancing around the living room singing.. "Three more days to Return of the King." His sister, Page says, "No Duh, I bought the tickets before you did!" Jason goes off pouting and says, "Orlando Bloom has ruined everything!"

Or even better, the one he complains to his mother. "Paige Liked Return of the King. What if she's just the tip of the Iceburg! What if everyone likes it! What if being a Lord of the Rings fanatic becomes, you know... MAINSTREAM! Well, maybe I can go back to Star Wars." The mother is like: "Star what?"

7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Lauré: I agree with most of that. :)

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome, Lu! We love having everyone here, whether you write NSWFF or not :)

Jop, that is the worst! Good for you for reporting; that's the only thing that will (hopefully) teach her to stop.

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Welcome, Lu! :)

Jop - that is a horrible thing to have happened and I'm glad that you reported it. Hopefully it doesn't happen again! [:D]

Well, we were out on backcountry trails again yesterday and my mom crashed and broke her wrist (and then promptly skiied back the rest of the trail and drove the 30 minute drive from the park back to my grandparents because neither my sister nor I can drive - my mother is either a champion or crazily stubborn :oops: ). So our skiing is done, my mom's arm is in a cast and a sling, and my dad is taking the train up to the city so he can drive us back home.

This is not the vacation we were expecting, that's for sure. 8-}

10. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Idrelle_Miocovani
    Oh, my! I hope that your mom's doing better now, and that, at least, her broken wrist doesn't give her too much pain. That's certainly a memorable way of ending a vacation, tough surely not a welcome one. On the bright side, it will certainly make for a lively tale to tell a few years hence. Not much of a comfort right now, of course, but still...

Lauré :)

11. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ack, Idri! Talk about a crazy spin for your vacation to take! :( [:D] That's just . . . wow. I hope your mom feels better soon - it definitely sounds like she has a dose of Wonder Woman in her, which I just applaud muchly. Like Laure said, this will be quite the story to tell further down the line, just not quite yet. :p 8-}

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh no! Your poor mom--that totally sucks. She sounds like a rock star!

13. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Surprise casting for Agents of Shield. I must have missed this news

Bill Paxton as the newest member of the team. YES! he's an awesome actor! Also B.J. Britt. I have no idea who this guy is at all.

I think this casting news shows that this show about to get even better. The first actor is awesome! He's an awesome actor but the second guy I don't know at all, but I'm sure he's good too.

14. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    wow, Such a nasty review I got on FF.net for my story: Frozen: Let it Go. he or she basically said It was boring story from a mediocre writer at best. What the heck people! What's wrong with people today!

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That's unfortunate. [:D] It does seem the art of tact is diminishing.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Well, it's been a bit of a whirlwind... back and forth between the hospital emergency and the apartment. And then I had the luck of slipping on ice and falling on my way to a coffee shop today, so my laptop got cracked on the left side (it's thankfully still functional) and my lower back is bruised. This has turned into a bit of a rough week. 8-} (but it started off really great! [face_laugh] )

mrjop2 - crappy reviews happen all the time of ff.net, in my experience. If they're not legitimate constructive criticism, I just ignore them and try not to get too down. :)

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    [:D] Idrelle. Hopefully the weekend will be better. I had a rough week too.

18. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    True, It's my first one in the ten+ years of writing there, so it's just stunning. I suppose I've been very fortunate.

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks, C_A [:D]

jop, about seven years ago, I was working on a Harry Potter/Star Wars crossover and I had to delete it off of ff.net because there was a user who was constantly posting really crude, coarse comments. I reported the user several times, but each time I blocked his account from commenting on my stories, he would create a new one (I could tell it was the same user, because the writing style and type of comment was identical) - and if I left anonymous comments on... it wasn't good, to put it simply. In the end, it was easier to delete the story and move forwards than to deal with that particular persistent troll. I thankfully haven't run into a situation as bad as that one in a very long time (all the comments I get on ff.net nowadays as very positive, or are good constructive criticism), but I feel quite irked every time I remember that bad situation.

20. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    yeah, fortunatly, I was able to delete his review. I like that feature. LOL

21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Sure. :) [:D]

I can totally empathise that a few can make the over all experience very difficult. [:D]Can also that having someone tear up one's writing hurts.

22. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I don't really mind my writing be torn up, if done constructively. There's just no need for name calling or attacking the writer personally. The guy was coward, if he wasn't, he would not have left the review as an anon. Oh well, I just deleted the review and moving on, getting excited about going to see Pompeii tomorrow! Natural Disaster movies are the bomb!

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I was trying to say I agree with you, mrjop. I have been personally attacked over writing too.I am fine with constructive feedback.:)

I don't like disaster films but admit Pompeii looks more interesting than I expected.

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, FF.net tends to bring out the trolls more than other sites. I once got called "a fat pig" by one reviewer on one of my earlier stories. After a moment's disbelief, I just basically laughed and deleted the review, because, what did this person know what I looked like? I probably would have taken it more personally if this person had flamed the story or my writing style, but since this person had (I'm resonably certain) never met me, it was like 'meh, whatever.'

25. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, ff.n is very interesting when it comes to reviews. I've had a reviewer there tell me that a story I wrote made her, and I quote, 'want to projectile vomit all over her screen'. And it was because she disagreed with the pairing/fandom I wrote for, which kinda just boggled my mind. If you don't like it, don't read it. Why did she even want to click on the story to begin with? :confused:

Anyway, jop, that's the worst, but! You have the right attitude and are dealing with it excellently, so kudos to you. [:D]

And Idrelle_Miocovani - Ack!! Talk about the no good-very-bad-week :(. It sounds like everything that could go wrong did. I am sending you cyber-coffee and cookies and hoping that the next week decides that you've just had enough from the universe dropping on you. :p [:D]