Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    yeah, this person did not like the pairing of Anna and kristoff at all. The person prefered the disgusting ship of Elsa and Anna. I'm sorry, I find that to be... horrible! They're sisters, for goodness sake! I don't mind lesbians or homosexuals in stories... My superman story had a lesbian couple in it, but my objection is that they're sisters!
  2. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Idri [:D] Bummer that your trip ended that way!

Jop, that's just ... too much. Too much. [face_sick]

I saw The Monuments Men today and really enjoyed it! I'm waiting for a copy of the book, which I'm really excited about. It's a fantastic story, and the acting was great.
  3. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    That's understandable @mrjop2. I don't mind same - sex pairings in fic either (and I've written a couple non - explicit Jack/Ianto in the Doctor Who/Torchwood fandom), but incest is a big squick of mine as well. But my solution is to choose not to read them, not seek a fic out with a pairing I don't like and bash it.
  4. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree. That's just too much for me, but I leave them alone, as long as they leave me alone.
  5. Luminous beings are we... Jedi Master

star 1
    What unhappy people those reviewers must be, to act with such deliberate unkindness.... Perhaps they don't have the sort of support system that can be found on these here boards.

For your welcomes, thank you. I think this is a lovely place to be.

Idrelle & Cushy: Here's hoping for easier times this week.
    Last edited by Luminous beings are we..., Feb 24, 2014
  6. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Honestly, most of the time, it seems to be because they see it as fun. Being on anonymous gives a certain sense of freedom to do/say anything, and some people get a thrill or an ego boost out of tearing apart other people's work. You can't survive Tumblr without getting one or two anonymous flames, and it's a similar thing on ff.net, IMO.

Thank you for the well wishes, everyone. [:D] I start rehearsals today for a project that is going to be in two arts festivals this spring, so I think I will need it (especially since the script is still in development :oops: [face_laugh] ).
  7. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    R.I.P Harold Ramis... the Ghostbuster!
  8. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Oooh, good luck with your project, Idri! I know what a crazy ride this play has been, and I wish you every success. [:D]

Today I am getting things taken care of, for tomorrow a bunch of friends and I are taking the train to Chicago to see The Phantom of the Opera at the Cadillac theater. I am so excited it is not even funny. So excited. [face_love][face_dancing]
  9. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That sounds like so much fun!
  10. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    woohoo! March 21st! Season 2 of Whose Line is it Anyway begins! The funniest show on television returns! Maybe this season, (since they've got 24 episodes to put out) they'll bring back my favorite "game" from the classic series from the days of Drew Carry hosting... The Ho Down! Here's hoping! The Ho Down was the one game that probably caused the most spit takes and cracks ups.
  11. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Ooh, that sounds like fun, jop. Thanks for giving us the heads up about that. :D

The play was amazing the other night, even with a few odd changes in the new production.
    Show Spoiler
    Like, Christine did not pull of Erik's mask after 'Music of the Night'. Instead, after a long night of composing, he took it off and was wiping his face off, and she came up behind him and turned him around. It was . . . odd. It did not carry the same punch that the original, timeless scene carried, and it made the fit he threw rather petulant in response. The cast was much smaller too, scenes like Masquerade and Prima Donna had maybe a third of the people they normally had on stage. The staging was smaller as a whole - the journey down underneath the opera house was veeery simplified during Phantom of the Opera and the boat scene was cut to last only a few seconds. The candles and the grandness of the lair was gone, as well, which was sad for me to see. :( I am wondering, was that because of a smaller stage, perhaps, or part of the new production as a whole? Other parts of the staging were updated, and they improved immensely for it. I just wished they would have kept the old with the new when they updated certain things.

Each actor and actress did an amazing job - our Carlotta stole the show for me talent wise. She had so much power in her voice that she even overshadowed Christine - and she was playing a comedic role, at that! But Cooper Grodin did an amazing job as Erik, and that's really all that matters in the end. :p [face_love] The chandelier crash was amazing, as well - going off without a hitch. We were sitting only a few rows back from where it dropped, so we were right there. It was just a chill inspiring performance, even after having seen it more than once. It never gets old. [face_love]
    I highly recommend any and all of you giving it a go if it comes to your neck of the woods! [face_love] :D

But the real treat of the trip came with the train ride home from Chicago. It started with a three hour delay in boarding - which was no biggie. Things happen, we get that. They had to switch the engine on the train, and the lines were on the fritz with the new addition. And yet, I'd rather them take their time and do the connections right - besides, there are worse places to wait around than Union Station, which is just gorgeous. But after finally setting out around 10:00 at night, when we were supposed to leave at 6:00, the train lost power about a half an hour outside of Chicago, and we stopped in the middle of a reeeeeally nasty industrial sector off of Lake Michigan. They tried to fix it for an hour, during which things got very cold and tensions ran veeery high - people were not patient and understanding, to put it mildly. It was bad when the children in our party were acting more composed than grown men on board. o_O When they couldn't fix the train there, they decided to tow the train back to Chicago with just the power from the locomotive, but were unable to go anything over 30 mph without the electricity. So, we didn't pull back into Union Station until about 12:30 in the morning, upon which they switched us to another train. We had to wait another hour for a new crew, because federal laws do not let the rail workers put in anything more than a certain amount of hours, and they had to get a fresh crew in on the spot. We finally left around 3:00 in the morning, and didn't get home until around 8:00. So yes, it was quite the day! :oops:[face_laugh] It certainly was an interesting end to the trip, at least. :p

The only bad thing about Amtrak is that they are not refunding, or giving vouchers for future trips, in exchange for the inconvenience. It was either a) get your money back, or b) take the new train that they set up last minute. Which was just ridiculous. I understand delays and 'things happen', but seriously - customer appreciation and common courtesy, people! A free sandwich and water does not equal compensation for all that happened. o_O I was disappointed in Amtrak, but that argument is not done. ;)
    Last edited by Mira_Jade, Mar 1, 2014
    Idrelle_Miocovani likes this.
  12. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Rough trip.

Well, tomorrow night is the Oscars, and you know what that means...?

Indina Menzel's live performance of Let it Go!
  13. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    @Mira_Jade -- I'm so glad that you enjoyed yourself. I have some thoughts about the staging you've described, but I figure that's probably material best left for PM since we all know what I get like when I'm talking about theatre. :p (i.e. long-winded and too excited).

What an adventure that train trip turned out to be. That really sucks that they had such poor common courtesy. They're not doing themselves any favours; inconveniences happen and you just have to make the best of it. All that they can achieve with that kind of attitude is push more people away from using public transit systems, which is something we don't need. IMO North America is pretty bad for public transit on the whole and I think we should be striving to make the systems better so more people can use them.

Well, my group is off and running for our rehearsals for my other spring theatre project. The script is still unfinished, but I am surprisingly okay with that, it just feels really weird to be starting a show without a finished script. Our collective has a pretty bizarre, unorthodox rehearsal method, so it's actually kind of a plus that the script is not set in stone yet, because our rehearsal process is informing a lot of the dialogue and scenes, especially for the end. We do a lot of improv scenes to build character backstories and we went to a really, really dark place yesterday for one of the characters (the show is a post-apocalyptic/dystopia story)... it's just a bit mindblowing right now.

And apparently really hard to describe, so I will stop talking about it. 8-}
  14. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    That was a very classy, and cute, shout out by Bill Murry at the awards for the late Harold Ramis. Very touching.

Indina's performance was good, but I think it makes my point and shows that Let it Go may be very very difficult to do live, so indina may no longer up to doing it for the Broadway production. She was struggling with it throughout the performance tonight, and her voice nearly failed her at the end. They are going to have a challenge finding someone who could do that song daily, if they don't mend the song a little bit.
    Last edited by mrjop2, Mar 2, 2014
  15. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    @Idrelle_Miocovani - I knew you would have an insight to share on the inner workings of the theater world. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. [face_laugh][:D] And I wish you guys all the best with your new play, as well. [face_dancing] That sounds like a fascinating creative process. Your rambling was fun to read, so never worry about that. ;)

@mrjop2 - Idina's performance was not her best work, it is true - good, but not as great as we all know she can be. :( She herself did not look too pleased with her performance at the end. I've heard some people say she was performing sick - which wouldn't be the first time she's done so, and I am looking forward to hearing Idina's recap of the night - her thoughts are always hilarious in hindsight. :p And yet, while this song is a challenge to sing - especially with that high D# at the end, which is soooo hard to hit (and feel free to correct me if I got that note wrong), Idina has pulled off many more difficult pieces than this song during her career. I don't think it's past her ability to perform, so much as I think that she was simply off last night. :)
    Last edited by Mira_Jade, Mar 3, 2014
  16. Master_Jaina1011 Force Ghost

star 4
    You know when she sang Defying Gravity at the Tony's about 10 (ish) years ago, she had a tough time doing that one too. It didn't help John Travolta said her name wrong. But she had done so many more songs more difficult than "Let It Go" live at some of her concerts and did perfectly. She does Broadway a lot too, and her new musical is set to open soon right. (If/Then) if I am correct.

But I was more impressed by Pink. That was a perfect time for her to showcase her vocal prowness.
  17. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Saying this as a performer - I wouldn't be too hard on Idina. It's really easy to have an off day. It could be that something is going on at home that keeps bursting into your head at the wrong moment; it could be that you're worried about something; it could be that you just fall out of the moment on a fluke. Yes, she didn't perform perfectly, but it happens. Does not mean she can't perform the song flawlessly in the context of a live performance.

(Personally, I don't think Let It Go is really all that difficult of a song, but maybe that's just me :p )

Also, Idina has an incredible amount of pressure on her because she is known for delivering huge, powerful songs and everyone expects so much from her. Combining that with the fact that she was singing it at the Oscars... it's a fairly significant moment with a specific type of performance anxiety associated with it - and a very different type of performance anxiety from, say, performing a song within the context of a Broadway show where you have the ability to sink into your character for the duration of a couple hours.

Speaking of performers messing up/not delivering great performances -- Jonathan Groff once forgot the lyrics to Left Behind during a showing of Spring Awakening for really no reason other than they just kind of disappeared in his head (it's actually a really funny story - warning for one moment of coarse language).

@Mira_Jade - you can expect a PM from me discussing some thoughts on that fairly bizarre piece of staging sometime tonight (hopefully). :p I have some editing/re-drafting to do on my own script sometime today... the really weird thing that I'm working through right now is that I'm not only writing and directing for this show, I'm also acting in it and it just so happens that my character ended up being the only character that could have a romance arc. A huge part of the play is examining the types of relationships that start to develop in a post-apocalyptic world - seeing where the pseudo-family relationships (father/daughter, co-care givers, etc) start to pop up. The only type of relationship missing from previous editions of the script was a romance and the cast decided that it was a type of relationship that couldn't be ignored (fair point).

So now I'm writing romance scenes. For myself. Which I will eventually be playing on stage. And it is weird. Soooooo weeeeeiiirddd.... 8-}
    Last edited by Idrelle_Miocovani, Mar 3, 2014
    Mira_Jade likes this.
  18. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    [face_laugh] Oh, how very . . . interesting. [face_laugh]

It's easy enough to write a romance scene for a theoretical couple, but knowing that you are going to be the one performing what you write. Yeah, that crosses into a Twilight Zone kind of weeeeeeeiiiirrd feeling. I can only imagine! 8-} That said, this play is sounding to be all sorts of interesting! I wish you guys all the best as it comes along. [face_dancing][face_love][:D]

(And take your time with the PM! I know how crazy things are for you right now. I look forward to the theater's side of things with the changes made. Because some of them were weird. So weird. :( :oops:)
  19. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    I think I'm starting to get a handle on it... it requires a lot of compartamentalization in my head, kind of switching the actor switch off and making sure only the writer one is switched one. Which is something I have to do a lot with this project, because I'm producing/directing/writing/acting/basically everything except design stuff. :p If I start thinking about things from the actor's perspective as I write, I start to make a mess of things because I start to get really nervous about the material. It's kind of similar to how if I start worrying about what my parents might think of the show once they come and see it, I start to mess up the script. :p

(I'm still worried about what my parents will think of the show because it is violent, dark and basically mature themes all around and my character gets shot at the end and I'm pretty sure that we're going to be using blood packs... but I'm just trying to keep focus and not worry about what their reactions may be. After all, they did sit through two and a half hours of grunge, violent Hamlet with queer readings of the characters and thought that was okay. :p )
  20. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    That would definitely be disturbing to see as a parent, I'd have to think. But I'm sure that if they can handle your 'death' and anything darker onstage if they could sit through your unique take on Hamlet. I know, that whenever I show my parents my darker writing, or art, even, I just get a raised eye brow and a 'that's nice' through clenched lips. I think they've gotten used to it . . . kinda . . . maybe. [face_laugh] Acting is a different medium, though, that's for sure. It may hit you a little different seeing something acted out on stage.

And yet, the compartmentalizing as an actor/director/writer makes perfect sense - your mind would run away with you if you did not. Once again, the creative process is a fascinating thing, that's for sure. :p [:D]
  21. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Yikes, Mira, that sounds like an absolute nightmare! And that is really awful service. I agree with Idri; public transportation on this continent needs some serious updating; Amtrak should be doing everything it can to retain loyal customers!

Good luck, Idri! [:D] That sounds hard, but it also sounds really fun :D (And also so so so perfect for you :p )

I watched the Oscars for the first time this year and enjoyed them! I adore Ellen. And I thought all of the performers did a good job, Idina included. Perhaps it wasn't her best, but she's still stunning.
  22. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    @Mira_Jade - I was talking to one of my mentors yesterday and she basically told me, "Honey, just warn them before they come see it and everything will be fine. And if they don't like it, too bad. Your show, your rules."

You're right, it is a little be different seeing something that's dark, as opposed to reading something that's dark. Visual mediums have a slightly different effect than written ones - not that one hits the audience more than the other, it's just different. And I know for some actors, they specifically do not invite their family members to see some shows because even though the audience knows it's all acted and it's fake, the material is too difficult. One of my friends could not invite her mother to see a show she did a couple years ago because she was playing a rape survivor who was emotionally abused by her partner and the scene was just too... much (there were people walking out of the theatre during the show because of a particular scene).

@NYCitygurl - [:D] Thanks!

Okay, changing topics - dear writing friends:

May I ask you all for a writing favour? The play I am working on is set in the future (or a future, as we prefer to say) and in this particular future, there are people who are genetically engineered (basically an extreme expansion on the whole designer baby thing). I have been trying to figure out what to call them because I don't want to use designer baby, and so far the cast and I have not been able to come up with anything that sounds good. I know that I want it to be either one or two syllables, but I'm at a complete loss as to what.

Brainstorming help, pretty please? [face_batting] (You can PM me if you want).
    Last edited by Idrelle_Miocovani, Mar 6, 2014
  23. laurethiel1138 Force Ghost

star 4
    @Idrelle_Miocovani

What about "The Chosen" or "The Elect"? I gather these are reather generic suggestions, but if you want to get your point across to your audience, I think the name musn't be too obscure, either. Unless you want to go for something fancy like an acronym, but then you'd have to explain it somewhere along in the play, and it may weigh down the work more than enhance it...

Lauré :)
  24. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    I like those, but the thing is that it needs to flow and every time you have a "the" in front of it, it brings the delivery of the line to a complete stop. Basically, it needs to be able to fit comfortably into the line "He's a [blankity blank]." We've been using GeneMod so far (gene for gene and mod for modification), but I don't like it. Way earlier we were using Genex (gen from gene, and ex for X, as in chromosomes), but then during a reading of the script, we realized that it sounded like Gen X, as in Generation X. And then we were like, "Yeah, that's not gonna work." As one of our cast members put it, "It sounds like all these people have a massive problem with twenty-two year olds."

(It was a really funny moment, followed by a lot of facepalming on my end.)
    NYCitygurl likes this.
  25. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I'm not good with that sort of thing, so I'll just say, "Good luck!" I agree that Genex sounds a lot like Gen X.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl