main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Many of us on the SWFF have a sad now. Prepare for an influx of angry writers. :p

2. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I don't mind the new title. It at least tells me that the battle is actually going to make it into the movie. I was afraid it wouldn't, though the other title was just as good.

3. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    How would the battle possibly not make it into the movie?!
    It's the climax of the book, Dain's been cast for ages, people have been talking about it in interviews for ages, and we all know how much Jackson likes climactic overlong action sequences. Besides, there's not that much story left for a 3-hour film without it!

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    It's finally May! (Though it doesn't feel like it -- at least, not here.) I'm so excited for summer activities -- swimming and food trucks and nights sitting on the decks and bars and restaurants and snow cones and warm weather and it being light until after 9. What do you all like to do this time of year?

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I look forward to swimming. Lots of swimming and the inevitable sunburn because I stopped being able to tan back in high school and now just go straight to the charbroiled flesh. My skin has two settings: egg nog and lobster red.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I am soooo with you on the burning! My skin is unbelievably white, and yet, I work outside, so I have no choice but to be exposed to the sun - I always fry to a crisp and then my skin color evens out to something that wants to be tan for the rest of the season. I almost always have a red nose, though. :p I just can't wait for a beach. Lake Michigan is calling my name something fierce. [face_love] (I can't wait to go camping period, but that is a whole other rant. ;))

And I'm excited for ice-cream in the sun! It may be a little childish of me, but Dairy Queen serves their blizzards in a waffle cone now and It's as close to heaven on earth as I've found yet. So much love. [face_love]

7. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Unlike all you guys, summer has officially hit here. welll... actually not the past few days. we haven't seen the sun since like.... Thursday? Wednesday? but once it gets sunny again I most definitely will be in the pool in my backyard. hopefully working on my tan. and i will definitely jump in the pool after Star Wars Weekends too

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Summer? What's summer? We don't have summer, we have hot spells between the blizzards. :p

Things usually don't heat up here until the end of June/beginning of July. I'm looking forward to a lot of swimming in Lake Huron (which is a GORGEOUS lake; I love my hometown for its long, sandy beaches), especially since this is the last year I'm in the province for a while. I intend to enjoy it as much as I can before I move.

I fry like a crisp, too, but I do spend a lot of time outdoors year-round (the multiple occasions on which I have come back from a cross-country ski trip only to have people assume I spent the week in the Caribbean are countless :p ), so once my skin adjusts, I'm usually good.

There are a few things this summer that I'm pretty excited for. Toronto Pride is having World Pride this year, and I've never been to a Pride festival before, so I intend to make it up to the city for that. My creative partner and I also applied to a professional business training program for emerging artists that coincides with a Toronto theatre festival in August, so fingers crossed that we get into that and are able to attend. Plus, I'll be writing a new play over the summer once the fringe festival we're performing in is over, so there's that to look forward to. Things never stop! 8-}

9. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Winter? What's winter? We dint have winter, we have a week between the heat waves. :p

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    We have only two seasons; winter and road construction.

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I forgot our other season: hockey. It's the season that never ends.

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] Ay, you squeeze in your summer fun between ice-fishing and dodging the polar bears, I've heard! ;)

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
  14. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    We don't always wait for summer to go swimming - jumping into a frozen lake on January 1st FTW! :p

Summer is absolutely my favorite time of year. I can't wait to just be outside in the sun and run around barefoot as much as possible. I'm also looking forward to showing off the tattoo I will be getting in a couple of weeks...it's my first one and I'm so excited!

Totally agree! Ice cream in summer is sheer bliss.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I want to get a tattoo. Too bad my current henna tattoo isn't permanent. I really like it.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oooo amidalachick what are you getting, if you don't mind me asking? I've been wanting one for a couple years, but a) I'm terrified of needles and b) I feel like something that's meaningful to me now won't be in ten years, and I'm worried about regretting it.

I'm totally with you guys on the burning. Red hair comes with pale skin, and mine seems unable to tan. I do, as a friend once put it, get burned every time I even think about the sun. And I'm sure I did after spending time outside this evening in this lovely gorgeous weather, but I couldn't resist! [face_love] I'll have to find my sunscreen ...

17. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Today is the first day that actually feels like summer. We have thunderstorm watches and everything. :p

TrakNar, henna tattoos are fun! They're so pretty.

NYCitygurl, I'm getting the lyrics of the chorus from the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want". I thought about it for a long time and considered a few different quotes, but I settled on that because it represents two things that mean a lot to me - House, and the Stones and their music. :)

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Henna tattoos are just gorgeous, I have to agree. I have never had the courage to go with a more permanent tattoo, but I like your choice amidalachick. :D =D=

I think we have a bit of the same weather, too - it was all heat and thunderstorms today, and just fantastic. Hello summer! [face_love]

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    It's getting a little hot here, but I don't even care (for now :p ). I love not being cold!

amidalachick that is so cool!

20. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I just got my tickets to attend the Motor City Comic Con on Saturday, where I intend to spend more money than I should on geek merchandise and fangirl over the amazing talent featured in Artist's Alley (where I hope to someday have a booth [face_dancing]). This year, I am actually hitting the celebrity panels for my Karl Urban autograph - normally celebrity swooning is not my cup of tea, but this is too good of an opportunity to pass up on. John Barrowman is going to be there too, and I may need to get that autograph too for old times sake. It just depends on how much they are charging. :p

Does anyone else here hit the comic conventions in your areas? :D

NYCitygurl and TrakNar like this.
  21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    There aren't any comic conventions around here for me to go to, unless I go to Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Reading, or Baltimore (the closest venues that I know of). Horrorfind Weekend is held in Gettysburg, so I go to that. Earlier, I went to Phenomacon, which is a paranormal convention, also held in Gettysburg, and a couple weekends ago, I went to the Faerie Festival down in Glenn Rock. So, my choices for geeky things to do are Horrorfind Weekend, Phenomacon, and the Faerie Festival.

Mira_Jade likes this.
  22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh, the Faerie Festival sounds like lots of fun to me (horror-esque things are not to my personal tastes, but that sounds awesome if that's your bag - the Gettysburg setting must have been neat for that!). We have a wonderful Renaissance Festival about an hour's drive away that we hit that every summer, and it always ends up being one of the highlights of my year.

23. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    I went to MegaCon in Orlando, both Karl Urban and John Barrowman was there! Didn't get either of their autographs , but I did see the Torchwood panel and it was typical John Barrowman and company. I'm still debating on DragonCon (I don't know if I will have a new job by then)

Mira_Jade likes this.
  24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooooh, DragonCon, that one is supposed to be excellent if you can swing it. :D One of these days I will make it to San Diego. It's on my bucket list. :p

That said, hello Master_Jaina1011! Has DRL quieted enough to allow for any story ideas to poke at your muse? [face_batting][:D]

25. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Somewhat. I have some stuff in the works but just got back from one wedding and I have another one next weekend!