main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Thanks.

You know what. I always thought that Trekkies and Star Wars fans were arch-nemesis, so I was surprised to see sooooo many Start Trek fan fics. But then again, I guess the war is really now between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. LOL

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Well, I think the overarching themes are fairly similar, so even though there's a rivalry there, I'm not actually surprised that they share a fanbase. I haven't heard about a SW/LOTR rivalry, though.

3. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    Also remember, we're a fairly small group, and hardly representative; those who are Star Wars fans but dislike the "rival" fandoms simply aren't here.

Anyway, I'm something of a generalist, so I tend to avoid as much of the petty and/or insane squabbling as I can.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    While I do know a few Star Wars fans who loathe Star Trek, for the most part, I've found that most Star Wars fans are fans of sci-fi in general, which most definitely includes Star Trek. Besides, you could make the case that we wouldn't have Star Wars if it wasn't for Star Trek.

And as for SW/LotR Rivalry, there isn't one that I know of. Then again, I'm the Tolkien nut with the One Ring tattooed on my ankle. :p

5. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    I suspect there was a stronger one a few years ago when they were competing film series. Time does much to calm these things.

6. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I suspect the LotR vs Star Wars rivalry is only really only in the foxtrot comics. I love foxtrot! The best comic strips out there!

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Foxtrot is one of my favorites :D And I've love Snoopy and Garfield for a long time - they're classics! And, I like Cathy too [face_blush]

8. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Foxtrot is awesome. :D I miss daily strips.

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I love both Star Trek and Star Wars. The only difference to me is that I don't write Star Trek fanfic.

10. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I love Star Trek too, but with all the techno jargon that story brings, it's just too hard for me to do. So between Star Wars and Star Trek, Star Wars is easiest to do.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I've never written ST (yet :p ). Though, I akways liked the relationships between characters best and I suck at action/technical stuff, so I avoid it :p

12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I would disagree with both you on this point. many of the St stories on this board are character driven and not mired in technobabble. I would suggest writing about the characters and not concern yourself with the technical stuff. At the most, you might need to know some basics like the transporter(beaming) and and warp drive. I highly reccommend just putting something down and see how it feels.

my two cents. o_O

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I find the action/technical stuff is no more difficult to write than Star Wars technobabble. :p But in terms of technobabble, though, Doctor Who is by far the easiest because you just kind of string words together, stick them in the Doctor's dialogue and everyone just nods and accepts it for what it is. :p

I love Star Trek, but I haven't written any fan fic for it yet, and probably won't. Despite how much I like it, it doesn't really inspire my muse at all.

I've never heard of a Star Wars/LOTR rivalry. Star Wars/Star Trek I can understand because they're both huge staples of the science fiction genre, but Star Wars and LOTR are so different in style and tone I don't really see much point comparing the two in an argument as to what's better. :p Maybe it did have something to do with the film franchise; that would make sense.

What is Foxtrot? I know how to fox trot, but I have never heard of this Foxtrot thing... :p Teach me, I'm uneducated! 8-}

14. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Foxtrot is a comic strip. It centers around the Fox family. The youngest, Jason, is into just about ever single nerdy/geeky thing ever. He's got an older brother and sister. It's hilarious. One of my favorite weeks was when Return of the King was in theaters. Jason was upset that his sister, Paige, had gotten her ticket before him because she wanted to see Orlando Bloom. It used to be a daily strip, but now it appears only on Sundays.

Foxtrot

15. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Yea! If you Google the word foxtrot, it's usually the first link that will take you to the current weeks foxtrot comic strip.

I remember that strip. He's excited about seeing the movie and she was just excited to see the hunky Orlando Bloom. There was one strip while he bragging on Lord of the Rings, and some said something that turned Jason off and then he said, "Well at least I still have Star Wars." I wish I could find that strip.

I also like the one he is sitting at his computer and tells his mother he just finished a 25 password user validation routine for a website and that it took 26,349 lines of code. His mother then asks if he has ever heard of the KISS rule. (Keep It Simple Stupid). Jason replies, "I'm a 10 year old boy. The term 'kiss' is not in my vocabulary."

Update: I just found that strip.
    Jason is complaining to his mother that Paige liked Return of the King. He continues, "What if Paige is just the tip of the iceburg? What if everyone thinks it's great? What if being a Lord of the Rings Fanatic becomes, you know...mainstream?"

Jason concludes, "I guess I can go back to 'Star Wars'."

His mother replies, "Star what?"

I also like the strips which is Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter. Funny Stuff!!

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Brodie ? Haha, no, sorry ? I meant I avoid writing technical stuff and have character-driven stories, in Star Wars and any other fandom. I like Trek fics :D And I do intend to give the bromance challenge a whirl :D

I haven?t seen either of those ? maybe I need to read some Foxtrot on the Internet, because it is awesome :D

17. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Here's a thought for today: If the characters in Foxtrot had aged normally, those kids would all be in their thirties.

18. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Wow, I can't imagine Jason as an adult.

19. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Yea. How many times has page gone to the first day of high school? Ten? more?

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] That's hilarious.

21. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Paige has been a freshmen for years....

What an awful fate.

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    There's a class of student in the UK called 'perma-fresh'. Basically they either change their course because they want to or because they didn't do well enough and changing their course is the only to stay on, but either way they find some way to stay first years or 'freshers' for a long time.

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] That would be a horrible fate 8-}

Though not as bad at university level as at high school. In the US we have "professional students" who stick around and get multiple degrees for years beyond the average 4/5.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Some people stick around at uni to do post-grad degrees and doctorates and stuff like that here. My sister kind of needs to do all that to get a job, and there are a lot of professions that have such high demands.

25. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Bleh, even being a perpetual students sounds like a form of torture. I'd rather work.

Which is why I'm waiting to get my Masters. And I'd like to see my loan amount go down before adding to it.

:p