Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That's so awesome!! Congrats, ladies! I'll definitely have to check the book out; it sounds right up my alley.
  2. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
  3. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I also highly encourage reading it just so you can write bad!fic and make them both facepalm. O:)
  4. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    LOL, I shall have to just for the heck of it.
  5. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    For the fifth time this year, I took and passed the test for Millionaire. Will I get in the contestant pool this time? I dunno. In other news, last night I finally finished the bonus drabbles I promised with UDC 1 however many years ago. Now I just need to finish the last set for UDC 4.
  6. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Good luck getting into the contestant pool. :)
  7. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Good luck!!

Man, it would be awesome if people started writing fanfic for the book :D
  8. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    So, funny thing - I'm currently reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series (good books, btw). The third book is called The Well of Lost Plots (and is where we - and by we I mean Face - got the title of this board) and every time I see it, I think of NSWFF 8-}
  9. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I wonder if anyone is going to start a Fanfiction trailer thread for the NSW forum like they have one for the other resource forum?
  10. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    You are free to do so, jop. ;)
  11. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    [face_dancing] I am (for now, at least) done with UDCs! [face_dancing]

I've finished UDC4 today, and since I completed UDC5 and my little self-imposed bonus to UDC1 earlier this month, I can now sit back, relax, and not worry about any challenges at all. Well, okay, there's still that 2010 resolution thing, but that's different.
  12. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Congrats!!

So . . . when's the next UDC challenge? :p (I mean, I probably shouldn't be asking that since I've only done week 3 for SW and week 5 for HP, but I'm curious :D )
  13. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Next spring, but I'm not even going to think about it until close to then. I'll decide then if I want to hand it to someone else or have another go.
  14. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
  15. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Congrats on finishing! :D

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I'm currently doing UDC4 on the heels of my completed UDC5... I just can't get enough of drabbles! [face_love] Unfortunately, I've had to put my weekly updates on hold since apparently I can't seem to manage week-by-week with my giant production design going on right now... :p

O! school, thou and fanfic shall forever be at odds.
  16. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Now are you posting about your updates to the UDC4 thread in Resource?
  17. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Ahhh... no. I thought the thread was kind of dead since it's an old UDC. Should I?
  18. Ubersue Jedi Knight

star 3
    Anybody here doing a non-SW fanfic for NaNo? Or is it just me?

:)
  19. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I am writing a story that is 60,000+ words, but there is no way I could do that many words in 30 days. To me, that's just rushing a story out, and forgetting about quality. That's just my opinion though.
  20. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm supposed to be doing a Hamlet story as my NaNo (final part of the trilogy I started last December), but I'm pretty sure I'm not doing NaNo anymore. I'm in the midst of designing a production of Hamlet (or, as I'm currently calling it, the Production Design from Postmodern Hell [face_skull] because it's literally sapping up all of my free time), which has absolutely nothing to do with the story I'm supposed to be writing... Funny how that worked out. It's unfortunate that the two projects are completely unrelated (asides from being based off of the same text), but my brain at the moment is saying that postmodernism and feminist/queer theatre (my production design) can kick more traditional interpretations (my NaNo project) in the face, run away with the source material, apply "creative vandalism", and then put it back when done with it. :p

Anyway, my point is that it's very difficult to concentrate on two interpretations of the same text that are so vastly different, and since I'm in school, the production design has to come first before the NaNo.

mrjop2, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but sometimes it's better to forget about quality and just get an actual complete (or close to complete) story. Then you can go back and edit and redraft as much as you want. NaNo, I think, is much more about getting the skeleton of the story - 50,000 words in 30 days gives the structure you need to work with and then you can work off from there. Sometimes if you work on getting the highest quality in the first go-around, you will take forever to complete the story and give up before you can even finish it. It's nice to just turn off the edit button and write.

Speaking of the edit button, I need to find the switch for mine because it's not helping me progress with actually writing the words in which to describe my production design. 8-}
  21. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Ubersue, what fandom are you doing?

I think NaNo is a great way to get a jump start, and it's a really fun challenge (especially at the beginning, when everyone's enthusiastic :p ). Someone in the FFR NaNo thread posted a quote from NaNo: "our inner editor is a nitpicky jerk who foolishly believes that it is possible to write a brilliant first draft if you write it slowly enough. It isn't." I agree - and participants now that it's about switching off the innner editor and just writing a draft, not the completed project.
  22. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    I'm doing an original piece for NaNo. The skeleton statement is a good metaphor.

Good luck with the production, Idri.
  23. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
  24. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
  25. Ubersue Jedi Knight

star 3
    Idrelle: Wait, a queer, feminist, post-modern Hamlet? That sounds awesome!

True, it is rushing it... but my big problem is that I start things and never finish them, so I'm treating this as an exercise in getting things done. I'll later rework the draft until I like it and then think about posting it on the boards.

Star Trek TNG, an AU. Starfleet has become a Fascist empire allied with Romulus and Cardassia. So far I've got Picard as a fighter in the resistance movement, Jack Crusher as a Federation Admiral, Wesley as a young scientist working on a secret weapon, Spock as a professor on Romulus and suspected political dissident, and the Rikers and the Trois as resistance sympathizers hiding a recently defected Beverly. Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with Worf, Data, and LaForge.

Needless to say, I'm having fun!
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl