main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lost Lightsabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Malt, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    "Didn't Luke lose his in ANH in the garbage compactor too?"

Nope, he had it again in ESB

2. Darth_Malt

Darth_Malt Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I agree ^^^^^^^

3. Darth_Malt

Jan 21, 2003
  4. The_JediMaster

The_JediMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2002
    What about when Dooku cut Anakin's other saber in half before he cut his arm off? For this full sequence you counted 2 losses, but shouldn't it be 3? Obi-Wan drops his, Anakin's gets destroyed & Anakin drops Obi-Wan's.

That would give Anakin a total of 5 losses.

5. IG_88a

IG_88a Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2002
    you would also think, that these big strong force weidling jedi should be able to catch the saber with the force and draw it back to them easily, but not one jedi who is forced to lose his saber uses the force to catch it before it hits the floor. I mean if vader and Maul can throw stuff around with the force surely someone can force catch a flying lightsaber?

6. YT-1300_Pilot

YT-1300_Pilot Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2003
    True. True.

7. Darth_Malt

Jan 21, 2003
    I agree with IG-88a

8. vladimir_imp

vladimir_imp Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Mace Windu 'drops' his lightsaber after hitting the Reek, and Jango dives to get it. Mace uses the force to collect it, so he doesn't 'lose' it.

I'm surprised that this was missed here because GL makes a point of it in the commentary for AOTC saying that there was a specific theme in AOTC about losing lightsabers.

9. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    I noticed the comment on females never losing their sabers, but you have to notice that we havn't seen any female Jedi. Well, we have, but only quick shots.

10. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    "GL makes a point of it in the commentary for AOTC saying that there was a specific theme in AOTC about losing lightsabers."

Which is interesting, because Obi-wan ruins his in TPM after he and Qui-gon land on Naboo the first time. Lucas cut this scene out.

"we have, but only quick shots."

Too quick ;)

11. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I am suprised that nobody brought this up already. Maybe I am wrong I would have to check to make sure, but didnt Mace loose his lightsabre then recover it just before he took Jango's head?

12. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    It's been brought up. ;)

13. WJTW

WJTW Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2003
    Anakin "Not again! Obi-Wan's gonna kill me!"

I wonder if the 'again' in the monologue (in the Robot Factory sequence.) meant anything. I know, he used 'again' because he almost got it lost in Coruscant chasing Zam. But maybe Lucas was hinting at something... :)

As for Yoda's sabre, I bet Lucas never thought for Yoda to have a sabre in the first place.

What about Palpatine's sabre? Surely a Sith has a sabre as well. Lost it, perhaps? :D

WJTW

14. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    [face_laugh]
    This is just hilarious - I find it ironic that Obi-Wan lost his lightsaber the most number of times.

Anyway, if I'm absolutely forced to make a symbol out of it - I would agree with Valiowk in that this probably is to show that the Jedi aren't invincible. It could also be seen as that Yoda is the only true Jedi and everyone else is "human." [face_mischief]

Aunecah

15. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    "Also just because someone drops his saber, doesn't mean he loses it"

if that's true then Luke didn't lose his in ESB. The emporer had it recovered and Luke gets it back in The Last Command. Or at least, that's what some people think happened.

16. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    My question is, that with all the Jedi that died in the arena did they go and round up the lightsabres after the battle. I wouldn't want a weapon like that to be just lying around in the dirt waiting for someone to claim it and kill some one and frame a Jedi.

17. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Good question. I wouldn't want those kind of weapons lying around either, but then again, I suppose it all really depends on whether or not the design of a lightsaber is already public or not. I mean, if everybody can access how to make a lightsaber ... it isn't really that hard for those who want one to find one, is it? If it isn't, on the other hand, I would hope that the lightsabers are packaged and sent into a black hole. ;)

Aunecah

18. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Or better yet, packaged and set to Star Wars fans...

19. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    The lightsaber that Luke looses at Bespin with his hand, he later gets back in the EU book The Last Command by Timothy Zahn. It turns out that Palpatine kept the saber as a momento. The deranged clone of the Jedi Master Jorus C'boath gave this lightsaber to a clone he made of Luke from the hand lost at Bespin. He made Luke fight his clone. During the battle, Leia (Who is also present) drops her lightsaber. Mara Jade. picks it up with the Force and kills the clone of Luke. She then defeats the clone of C'boath. After the battle, Luke collects his old lightsaber, but gives it to Mara Jade as a gift. She must later lose this one because later on she has a purple lightsbaer.

20. Darth_Malt

Jan 21, 2003
    *********UPDATED*********

Everyone loses a lightsabre in Star Wars. And Lucas has said it himself.

Phantom Menace
    -There was a cut scene where Qui-Gon was
    talking to Obi-Wan about his lightsbre.
    -Obi-Wan dropped his down that long hole
    in the ground.
    -Qui-Gon lost his when he died.
    -Darth Maul lost 1/2 of his when it was
    cut in two.
    -Darth Maul lost his other half when he died.

Attack of the Clones
    -Anakin dropped his in the speeder chase
    -Obi-Wan dropped his in the rain battle
    -In the droid factory, Anakin's lightsabre is split which makes him lose it.
    -Anakin and Obi-Wan got their lightsabres
    taken away before the battle.
    -Before Mace Windu took off Jango's head, he lost his lightsabre and had to use the force to retrieve it.
    -Obi-Wan dropped his after Dooku injured
    him.
    -When Anakin faught with two sabres, one of the sabres was knocked out of his hand.
    -Dooku cut Anakin's other lightsabre in half before he cut Anakin's arm off.

Episode III
    -Dooku will lose his when he dies.
    -Anakin will lose his blue lightsabre because he wants to give it to his son, Luke.

A New Hope
    -Obi-Wan dropped his after he disapeared.

The Empire Strikes Back
    -Luke's slipped out of a pocket while he
    was knocked out from the wampa.
    -Luke lost his when Darth Vader cut his
    arm off.

Return Of The Jedi
    -Luke got his sabre taken away when he
    was caught.
    -Vader lost his when he threw his lightsabre at him like a boomerang.
    -Vader lost his when Luke cut his arm off.
    -Luke threw his away after the huge
    battle with Vader.

Here is the count:
    Obi-Wan: Lost 5 sabres
    Anakin/Vader: Lost 7 Sabres
    Luke: Lost 4 sabres
    Mace Windu: 1 Sabre
    Qui-Gon: Lost 1 sabre
    Darth Maul: Lost 1 sabre.

For jedi, these guys weren't good at keeping up with things.

21. rayblueline

rayblueline Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2003
    I would just like to say that one of the most disapointing minor details of the PT for me as been Obi-Wan's saberhilt.

When he lost it in TPM, I seemed like such a good opening for the classic Obi-Wan hilt to make it's appearance, but, instead, the spiked-mace model returned in AOTC!

22. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Actually, I thought it would be better for Obi-Wan to use Qui-Gon's in AOTC.

23. rayblueline

rayblueline Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2003
    Qui-Gon's saber would have been very cool too.

I don't keep up on EU stuff... isn't there a book where he used Qui-Gon's? What is the explanation for building another spiked-mace model?

24. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    I think my friend has that book...

25. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.