main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lost Roles: Now Disc. The Lost Roles of Howard Stern

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, May 15, 2011.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  2. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  3. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm a big fan of Oswalt. Some of that stuff would have been great. That Single at 40 would have been awesome, I bet.

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That Sam Kinison cameo could have been brilliant.

7. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I would have enjoyed watching Rick Moranis in Martin Short's role.

As far as Fran Drescher playing a shallow movie star... talk about cast as type.

This would be an interesting movie to see released with the deleted roles replaced,
    if for no other reason than to watch Sam Kinison.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Apparently, Kinison's footage has been lost. Ain't it always the way? That's the one part I'd really like to see restored.

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It's remarkable how Three Amigos is today held as some kind of comedy classic, considering how horrifically it was panned by critics on release. Landis and Folsey were on trial for criminal manslaughter at the time, and had come off a string of under-performing films. They were hardly the critical darlings they had once been.

Three Amigos even elicited charges of racism, including one from Harland Braun, one of Landis's own (former) attorneys, who complained that the movie was about "these dumb Mexicans... who are all dirty". The Village Voice declared the film "a loud, tedious ordeal". Esquire called it one of the worst movies of the year.

Yet today it is a beloved and influential touchstone. Weird.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    It is weird. I saw it, thought it was okay, but not great. That's still what I think about it; it's pretty funny, but not spectacular. And then I like saw it happen; just in the last few years, there's this huge upswell and it gets canonized as a masterpiece.

11. CloneUncleOwen

Jul 30, 2009
    It's the John Landis curse; time and again he fell short in his films, never tightening up his scripts or
    polishing up his direction. THE THREE AMIGOS is typical. The film just-misses on so many levels.

Interesting that Spielberg was offered this film before Landis, and turned it down flat. Spielberg hasn't
    had much to do with Landis since THE TWILIGHT ZONE, a fiasco that Landis still refuses to accept any
    responsibility for.

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Never seen this one, but I have heard of it, and not praise either.

13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The best part of the movie is when his men give El Guap a sweater. 1) They live in the desert, why would El Guapo wear a sweater?! 2) This group of killers buy an article of clothing. You think they'd give him a knife or machete or something, but they get him a sweater. Hilarious!

To this day, every time someone is getting a present I say El Guapo's line "It's a sweater" and it never gets old.

14. CloneUncleOwen

Jul 30, 2009
    [image=http://www.buyuglysweaters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/elguaposweater.jpg]

"It's a sweater!"

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Tony likes this.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I remember saying that Fey and Martin should co-host the Oscars after their great co-presentation that one year and then when it was Martin and Baldwin, I was like "So close!" But I didn't know they'd actually offered it to her. Well, our loss on that one.

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  20. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Galaxy Quest with Alec Baldwin would have been interesting, but Tim Allen was perfectly cast.

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001