main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond the Saga Lost Stars: Deliberations

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thane_Kyrell, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016
    Lost Stars: Deliberations (A Short Story)

Characters: Chancellor Mon Mothma, General Carlist Rieekan, General Crix Madine, Fleet Admiral Gial Ackbar, Capt. Ciena Ree, Lt. Thane Kyrell.

“We will disregard that outburst Lieutenant Kyrell. We will render our verdict after our deliberations,” Mon Mothma said as she and the other members of the Tribunal entered the Deliberation Chamber.

She takes her seat at the head of the table with Admiral Ackbar to her left and General Crix Madine to her right. General Rieekan sat at the other end of the small table.

Each has a datapad in front of them with notes they had taken during the trial. Each stares at their datapads not saying a word.

“I guess I will begin,” says Ackbar. “I believe that the Captain is an honorable woman. She continued to serve a government she hated because she was bound by honor. That is something that as a military person I can respect.”

“I would have to disagree with you Admiral,” Madine pipes in. “While I do believe in honor I was once in the Captain’s position. I defected from the Empire. It almost cost me my life but I left. I see no reason why she couldn’t have left. She had several chances to leave when she was on leave. One of those times was when she spent time with Lieutenant Kyrell.”

“Crix, you need to look at things beyond your own experiences. You have to understand and respect all cultures. In honor-bound cultures such as the Wookiees for example they believe if someone saves their life they are to dedicate their lives to that person until they have saved their life or the person whom the Life debt is owed dies. Captain Ree’s culture isn’t as, I don’t want to say extreme but I can’t think of any other word; as the Wookiee culture, but it is still a cultured based on honor and breaking an oath would bring a dishonor on her family.”

“If I may interject,” said General Rieekan. “Lieutenant Kyrell told me he was going to stand by a friend because her mother had been falsely arrested. It is my belief that this could also have been a reason why Captain Ree stayed in the Empire. She was afraid more would happen to her mother, that she would either be executed or treated even worse than she already was. I can see her wanting to protect her family. We know some of the atrocities the Empire is capable of.”

“General, I appreciate your opinion but I believe that you cannot have an oath to a government which no longer exists. The Galactic Concordance has been signed. The Empire no longer has any governing authority. The oath the Captain swore is null and void. It makes no difference now.”

“It makes all the Difference Admiral,” said Madine. “We are here to discuss war crimes. Someone has to be held responsible for what the Empire has done!”

“Why does it have to be her? I think she should be released on time served.”

“You are delusional Admiral,” Madine looks at Mon Mothma. “Chancellor, you cannot allow this man to continue to serve as our Naval Commander. He has clearly lost his mind! He wants to release a war criminal!”

Mon Mothma took a deep breath. She looked at everyone at the table. Then she began to speak. Like the politician she was, she spoke in eloquent and precise speech that was designed to sway minds and make a point.

“Let me just say,” she said as she took another breath, her side still hurting from the assassination attempt months before. “We have to punish the Empire. That is true. However, many who served the Empire were not all complicit in their crimes. While they may have participated, they didn’t help to plan or execute those plans. Those plans were devised by the officers above them. Other officers were also simply afraid of what would happen to them or their families if they opposed any orders. I believe Captain Ree is a good person. Everyone we have talked to has said as much. In the Testimony given by not only Lieutenant Kyrell but Lieutenant Idele as well we have all received an insight into her character. She clearly cares about others and wanted nothing but to serve her government.”

These last words triggered some looks from those present but none dared to interrupt her.

She continued, “I can tell by your expressions you do not agree. I have seen too much and have seen people sacrifice too much only to be where we are today. A free people. I have been examining the records we recovered from the Imperial Archives. Captain Ree’s file was located in there.”

She touched her finger to the datapad and transmitted what was on her datapad to the rest of those assembled.

“As you can see she was an exemplary officer. She was always volunteering for extra shifts and was the text book definition of an officer,” She scrolled down to Ciena’s reprimands.

“As you can see she was reprimanded for risking her life as well as the lives of Imperial soldiers to save Civilians against orders. To me that doesn’t sound like someone who was indoctrinated by the Empire to not care about the citizens under them. She was an exception, as I am sure there are more, but right now she is here. She is the exception to the Imperial Rule. If I could vote in these deliberations I would vote to give her a pardon and re-instatement into the New Republic Navy. Of course I would have her be supervised by another officer, who she trusted, but who we also trust. This would make sure she could be trusted before being allowed to advance. I think Lieutenant Kyrell would be perfect for this job.”

There were nods of agreement from all those assembled.

“So shall we vote?” Ackbar said.

“I vote for full pardon,” says Madine.

“Me too,” said Rieekan.

“Then it is unanimous. I vote the same. Shall we go and present our findings?”

They all get up from the table and head back out into the courtroom.

“Lieutenant Kyrell. Please wait a moment. There is something we need to discuss with you.”

Thane stood at attention before the tribunal. He wasn’t sure if he was going to be reprimanded for his outburst earlier or even for his relationship with Ciena.

It doesn’t matter. Ciena is free. We can be together. Even if I am no longer in the military.

“You may stand and ease Lieutenant,” said Mon Mothma.

Thane loosened his stance into the military position as told.

“Lieutenant do you know why you are here?”

“No ma’am.”

“Well first off we are promoting you to Commander. Congratulations.”

Thane smiled slightly. He hadn’t expected this after all the events that had happened today.

“Thank you ma’am.”

“Commander, we have an important mission for you.”

“Go on ma’am.”

“We may have issued a pardon for Captain Ree, however that can be revoked. We need you to keep an eye on her. We need to be sure that she can be a trusted commander in this navy. We are not asking you to spy. We are asking you to make sure she keeps in line.”

“Ma’am, permission to speak freely?”

“Granted Commander.”

“I have known Ciena since I was eight years old. I know the kind of person she is. I know she can be trusted. There is no doubt in my mind. I will do as you ask but there is no need for it.”

“Commander, let’s hope that you are right.”

“I know I am ma’am.”

Mon Mothma looked over to the guard from the courtroom, “Please go bring Captain Ree back into the court.”

“Yes ma’am,” he says as he leaves the courtroom to notify the other guard who was with Ciena.

“Thane. I so happy for what you did in there for me. You risked your career to protect me. Now you are my XO. I can’t wait to get back into the captain’s chair. And maybe some other things.”

She looked at him with a grin.

“I am looking forward to it. I love you so much Ciena.”

Thane leaned in and kissed Ciena as the shuttle they were in took off towards their ship.