main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Lost Stars manga

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Apr 18, 2017.

1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    If I were going to be really paranoid nitpicky the book, this is my only complaint.

Of course the poor (finanically) foolish farmer girl joins the "evil" Empire. The rich men who does a "honest" living by the "smart" thing lifestyle would of course join the "righteous" Rebel Alliance."

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I like your observation that Nash could have been saved, if he'd had a friend that cared enough to help him. It's too bad he thought Ciena was that friend and things never worked out between them. She was always in love with Thane.

But I think that Nash could have been reached and saved, had someone that cared about him tried. You're right that he didn't commit any atrocities, but serving the Imperial Military is bad enough as it is.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Nash, by the end, is the model of a Modern Major Imperial as he has his personal toady beside him and all the frothing madness of a die hard fanatic. It was his own transformation along with Cienna's and Nash's.

But yes, he says as much. The Empire is all he has left.

4. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    so basically he needed a "friend" who defected to the rebels.

define saved.

If only Thane had a good enough friend to save him. Wait he did, and she tried. But all he could think of is what to do with the valley girl who had a pair of .....

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The only moment which felt like idiocy in the books was when Ciena was HORRIFIED Nash tried to kill Thane.

You know, when his "old friend" shows up in a battle trying to kill them.

That did not cover our heroine in glory.

6. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    I blame lust.

7. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    I think it wasn't so much the fact that Nash wanted to kill Thane, as it was the revelation of just how twisted and fanatical Nash had become without her realizing it. Because even though most of Ciena's prior interactions with Nash were an awkward mix of showing sympathy for his emotional plight while dodging his increasingly creepy advances, I think it's clear that he meant something important to her, which got shattered in that moment.

When Ciena and Thane are back on Jelucan in the Fortress, having their post-coital debate about the merits of serving versus fighting the Empire (Side note: there is no better time to debate politics with your significant other than during the post-coital moment. This is objective truth, not opinion.) Ciena explicitly cites Nash Windrider as the sort of person who embodies the Empire at its best - the dutiful loyalist who stayed true to the cause because of the greater good it represents. I think that we're meant to infer that Nash's loyalty to the Empire was a significant comfort to her - if he's still able to see good in the Empire after what he experienced, then how can she possibly doubt the righteousness of their service?

The revelation that Nash isn't actually standing by the Empire because he shares her idealistic views about what it can and should be, but because the trauma of what happened has driven him insane, is therefore a major Uh Oh moment for her.

Outsourced, SilentGuy66 and Vialco like this.
  8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I guess it's a weird moment for Ciena to abandon Nash because his reaction is perfectly understandable and normal. If a friend faked their death and they next were part of Al-Qaeda, you'd have a similar reaction I'd wager. Especially if you mourned them and they're coming after you directly.

Ciena's reaction is understandable in that she loves Thane but it's also weird how little she seems to realize what it looks like to everyone else.

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I kind of read it as a reversal of the traditional Imperial and Rebel tropes: the usual take is that innocent farm/blue collar kids from happy families inevitably join the Rebellion (Skywalker, Darklighter, Legends Wedge Antilles, Legends Kyle Katarn, etc.) while Imperials are more likely to be upper clusters with fancy accents.

Cienna's not alone in being a farm girl; in Legends, Soontir Fel was a farm boy. But I really wouldn't classify Thane as someone making an "honest living by the smart thing lifestyle" since the central tenant of his youthful characterization is that he rejects and rages against his family, since it's an abusive home and he can see how foolish and shallow his people can be. And he and Cienna both decide at a young age to leave the planet, and promptly become the top of the class.

I don't see any kind of social commentary in the book beyond the usual "all you need for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing" tropes. The social positions of the protagonists are there to establish how odd their friendship and romance are.

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I do approve of the fact this is the most central interracial relationship in Star Wars now. It's why I hope they make a CGI movie out of this sometime if not an actual movie movie. If they can make garbage like Cinderella 2, they can make an animated Star Wars movie of Lost Stars.

Axrendale likes this.
  11. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    I prefer live action to animated. If it became animated, no telling what the ending would be. Maybe animated Ciena will end up joining the rebels or something. Less chance of that with live action. Though you never know.

Is there any plans to translate it into other languages?

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    True, though Disney has proven surprising in many ways, not the least being okay with murdering an entire possible franchise.

13. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    casting:

Thane adult: Prince Harry

Thane academy: KJ Apa

Thane kid: Finn Wolfhard with dyed red hair

Ciena adult: Kerry washington

Ciena academy: Rhyon Nicole Brown

Ciena kid: Leni Zieglmeier

14. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    A suggestion: if this manga adaptation (the ostensible topic of this thread) turns out to be any good, perhaps someone can turn that into a movie.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This thread is about a manga? Could have fooled me.

16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Wouldn't mind comic or manga adaptions of every new novel that's come out (without added scenes without reason). Could easily replaced the boring turn Marvel Star Wars is going through (I've not collected Aphra or Screaming Citadel arc, not to mention the Chewbacca, Han Solo and Lando runs).

Axrendale likes this.
  17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    A new chapter has been published. [link removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2018
    Barriss_Coffee and Axrendale like this.
  18. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    From a Tang dynasty poem by Li Bai. called Chang gan xing,

妾发初覆额,折花门前剧;
    While my hair was still cut straight across my forehead
    I played about the front gate, pulling flowers.
    郎骑竹马来,绕床弄青梅。
    You came by on bamboo stilts, playing horse,
    You walked about my seat, playing with blue plums.
    同居长干里,两小无嫌猜。
    And we went on living in the village of Changgan: (Nanjing)
    Two small people, without dislike or suspicion.

damn it

[​IMG]

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh good, they've finally started adapting the novel. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm pretty sure that Lambda-class shuttle isn't drawn to scale.

:p

LelalMekha likes this.
  21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Bruh. For real, Lando is a great run.

JediBatman and Vthuil like this.
  22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Pretty sure Thane sniffing Ciena wasn't in the book. [face_rofl]

23. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    That flashback issue kind of looked disjointed jumping back and forth in time.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And now they're at the Royal Academy. Good. Perhaps I'll get to see my Imperial Ball yet.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The art of the last few chapters looks much more like how I imagined the characters than the concept art (or whatever it was) that came out a while ago. The artist is nailing Tarkin. Plus the design of the training academy with the race tubes around the outside is really neat -- decorative but it has a practical use.