main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Lost Stars manga

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    Tarkin with a full head of hair is... terrifying.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Didn't see the colorized version posted yet...

[​IMG]

Axrendale, SWpants and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  3. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    So she's going to be an ethnic Korean after all in this artist's imagination.

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Mu, weren't you going to stop posting in this section of the boards? She doesn't look Korean at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediBatman likes this.
  5. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    [​IMG]Oh dear, it's Jude!

[​IMG]

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Hello. This post is unacceptable. I have no qualms about banning people -- possibly permanently -- for racist "humor."

Thanks for your attention.

7. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    oh kay then.

Edit: I needed to edit this post because I just absolutely need to say this:
    How the ____________ is saying a SW character is Space! some ethnicity or another "racist humor?" I mean come on! There is a whole thread where it's devoted to say we need more Space!diversity... The whole reason my post above is not in that other thread is because this thread is regarding artwork around Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell's artistic portrayal by a Japanese artist.

So, unless I say so and so SW character is ethnic! whatever RL ethnicity is considered a racist remark, I don't know what you are talking about.

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I think part of it is your post came across as "an Eastern Asian artist is naturally going to draw a woman of color as a race similar to his own." And another part of it is that the post didn't even need to be made in the first place. Like, why was it needful for you to point that out? It came out as (perhaps unintentionally) derogatory, which might not be as bad if many of your posts about Aphra and other characters didn't come off in a similar manner. For the record, I'm not sure you're intentionally being racist or making off-color jokes. But that's very much how it's coming off.

9. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    If indeed "an Eastern Asian artist is naturally going to draw a woman of color as a race similar to his own." A question must be asked, is the artist wrong? How does Ciena looks like canonically? Is it up to the original writer, the reader, or some artist, cosplayer? If I read Harry Potter books, and I think of Hermione Granger as Caucasian, and the play makes her a person of color, am I suddenly a racist?
    Second The post was a statement. It was not a joke, not even a corny one.
    Third: If I said Aphra, when drawn by certain artists, looks like Caucasian, or Native American, and not really Asian, am I a racist? That's just my opinion on her ever changing figure on the comics. It's a bunch of other people who says because of Aphra is Asian she can't be with Luke and can't be Rey's mom. Not me.
    Last, I'm not saying it's happening in the world everywhere civilized right now, but is it okay for a person of color to discriminate against a non coloured person? Or a homosexual to discrimiate against straight people? Cause if you think it's okay, that's Diversity Alliance talking. Some people, I'm sure not everyone, are not after equality, t hey are after superiority, or REVENGE!

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm...not sure what your point is. Ciena is canonically black. Aphra is canonically Asian. That's the extent of it.

Daneira likes this.
  11. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm saying people are too sensitive. Making stuff out of air.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Derailing a thread to "defend" yourself from a mod warning is not your best move here, nor is doubling down on the post that was a problem in the first place.

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I don't want to sound daft, but can someone explain this comic to me? This a canon webcomic adaptation of Lost Stars published originally in Japanese? But there is also a English translated version? Just want to make sure it's canon before I drive in. Loved Lost Stars. If it's canon, I hope it's good and also not a straight up, boring adaptation (the best adaptations are more than a straight-up retelling).

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

14. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    The English translation is not official and not done under the supervision of Lucasfilm. It's by a fan who knows both languages. But the comic in the original Japanese is canon.

15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Thanks for the clarification. I assume it's roughly correct then. Is the English translation technically a bootleg then?

And we probably have no way of knowing if there will ever be an officially translated English edition (or so I'm guessing).

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

16. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    There was--eventually--an English translation of the Japanese webcomic adaptation of the original trilogy. And that was done by the same company. So, I think there's at least a chance of an official English translation.

Revanfan1, Stymi and SWpants like this.
  17. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    It is an official adaptation, however I suspect that much like the previous LINE webtoon, it walks a canon grey area due to cultural interpretation.

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    So I started reading it. I'm pretty meh on it so far.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The first two chapters are, imo, Not Good.

Chapter 3, when they actually start adapting the book, looked more promising. I don't expect literal adaptation, but the first two chapters were just... all about Thane for the most part, and I wasn't a fan.

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    What? Did you think someone would care about Ciena?

No, this is all about THANE!

The IMPORTANT ONE.

:)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You mean Nash?

22. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I think it's really cool that some of the characters look like the actors Claudia Gray said she imagined would play them. Not Thane and Ciena, but Nash looks like a manga-style Tom Mison and Jude looks like Liza Weil.

23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Jumping in "in media res" at Hoth kind of throws off the initial emotional arc of the book a bit. We originally were introduced to our heroes at their most basic development, all wide eyed wanderlust and adventuresome ambitions, both clearly wanting to be somewhat heroic and tragically unaware of the Empire's true nature. And since the book held off the defection until well after we got to know both characters, their personalities and personal codes defined them first: if either of our protagonists was more heroic than the other, it would be the more clearly altruistic and optimistic Ciena. That's part of what made their reactions to Alderaan and Yavin so dramatic. Thane, the pragmatic cynic, demonstrates a clarity of vision that suddenly trumps Ciena's loyalty and optimism to make him the heroic one and her the already somewhat fallen hero. The contrast acts in conjunction with out experience with the characters to really highlight how dark Ciena's path is going to become and demonstrate that Thane's realism can grow.

The manga starting by showing us Thane Kyrell, "Rebel Pilot," first and foremost, starts him at what's arguably a less interesting part of his journey. He's already made his riskiest and most moral decisions and completed most of his story arc; he's a hero who just needs to lose some of his cynicism, and he's already like his end-of-book self. And starting with Ciena's anger towards his betrayal loses some of the "oomph" pulled from the context where we've seen her as a sweet little life-line to Thane in his darker moments and a complex but initially moral hero who suffers a crisis of faith with the Death Star and emerges tarnished. By meeting both these characters *after* their time in the crucible, we miss some of the appeal of the journey they take.

I do like the way the art makes Ciena's conflict over having a crush on Thane and implying she loves him like a brother much more clear and fun to interpret. Kind of showcases the natural advantage of art over prose.

Axrendale likes this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    To be fair, this kind of thing is very common in manga and arguably worked very well in Berserk. However, I'd argue the Battle of Hoth is a bad starting point and Jakku would have been much better.

Even if Hoth is more famous.

25. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Probably the author wants to emphasize the "Rebels vs. Empire" theme to the target audience in Japan. If it starts like the novel, the rebellion element won't really appears until later.