main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Lost Stars manga

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Apr 18, 2017.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The contrast between the two at Jakku and when they were young would also work more dramatically; show young Ciena at her most hopeful and helpful and young Thane at his most vulnerable right after introducing a grim and suicidal Ciena and a selfless and strong Thane as adults. It'd kind of be a way to immediately book-end their character arcs so you know the journey you're going on.

It could just be the author has different priorities for his adapatation.

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Do any of you think the manga author could eventually alter some aspect of the plot so that the comic would have a different ending?

Here's what I wish for if the webcomics have a different ending:

Thane switches the blaster to stun, fires, Ciena goes down. Then Thane realizes that the stun ray over dosed. And Ciena is dead at his hands.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm hoping Ciena is found not guilty of war crimes and confused about what to do with her life.

Or JOINS THE FIRST ORDER!

4. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    nah, Ciena would never join the First Order. They are traitors and usurpers.
    She and Nash should team up to form the Imperial Resistance.

What should happen is Ciena be found not guilty, and is in the process of being released and go to a "pre release processing center" where in some relative who got killed by the Inflictor at the battle of Jakku, maybe Dravel who lost his son or daughter, and order an "accident.". Ciena is found in her cell, "having committed suicide".
    Of course the "processing center" have already been infiltrated by Nash and the Ciena in the cell is fake. Real Ciena joins Nash and fight both the FO and the rebels.

5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Why do you want to kill Ciena?

6. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Her life is ruined.
    If things were realistic as in RL, there is no future for her.
    Better she dies in something she believes in, even if it is in the Empire.
    Besides did you read my entire post numbered 202 and 204?

7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Her life is not ruined. She could live a very long an happy life on her home world. Maybe even be recruited by whatever planetary security force Jelucan sets up.

Realistically Ciena...and billions or other Imperials...are going to be let go and sent home. There is no way that the NR could imprison every single Imperial officer, enlisted person or bureaucrat simply because they served the Empire.

Now in the galaxy at large...there may be animosity towards former Imperials in a lot of places...but there will also be places where it won;t really matter to people.

8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Probably not, since the Manga is canon, and has to line up with the book event wise.

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There's also that theme of redemption in Star Wars. If we're expected to give Anakin some degree of forgiveness for seeing he was wrong and dying to save his (heroic) son, than it feels like Ciena's life is ruined *for the moment* but far from *permanently* ruined. Madine's Legends backstory had him play a part in the genocide of a planet, then defect to the Rebellion. Gara Petothel/Lara Nostil/Kirney Slayne had dedicated her whole life to Imperial Intelligence and had a total personality breakdown when she realized how wrong she was. And Ciena's got a cleaner personal record than any major Imperial-loyalist protagonist we've seen in either Legends or the NewEU.

Its not that I don't see some dramatic value you could have in her death; going "grItty" and having her die just to set some faux-realistic tone is possible, or having her refuse to pull out of her funk because she can't make the philosophical change required to dump the Empire and renounce her loyalty could act as a tragic story. But I'm far more interesting in seeing a character like her, and other Imperials who avoided committing atrocities, come face to face with their actions and decisions, wrestle with their responsibility for Imperial crimes, and find some way to move forward.

Much like how I'd love to see ex-Imperials from the OT generation have come around to turn on the First Order and join the Resistance. Honestly, that'd be a cool place for Ciena and Thane.

Axrendale and JediBatman like this.
  10. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Didn't we already exhaust the "alternate endings/possible sequels/fanfic" conversation in the main Lost Star thread?

Anyways I'll restate what I said there: The Lost Stars ending is good because it's bitter sweet. Even if we assume the best case scenario: that the charges are dismissed, that she and Thane find a way to reconnect and resume their relationship, that they go back to Jelucan and get some quiet job farming or piloting cargo ships or something . . . things can never completely go back to the way they were. They are both different people, their experiences have changed them. It's a subtle kind of tragedy. In contrast, tacking on a "then Ciena joins the First Order!" or "then one or both of them DIES" ending seems "2edgey4me".

11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    That is one of the places you could get good drama for a sequel...these two having to re-connect with all they have been thru.

On a larger scale I could very easily see a schism in the First Wavers between the older generation and the younger generation on the concept of honor....is it really honorable to keep your oath to someone/something as evil as the Empire....and I think that people realizing that Ciena was ready to kill herself just so she could keep her honor would be an interesting plot point.

The whole "Ciena joins the First Order" is completely delusional based on her suicide by Star Destroyer thing...and the "one or both should die" is just lowbrow, shock value for an ending to their story.

SithOverlord101 and JediBatman like this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The First Order is the Empire done right!

13. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    My headcanon is that some smart guy/girl in the NR is like "Hang on, why are we placing so many Imperial officers on trial with small to non-existent evidence."
    They also happen to sympathise with Thane's situation over Ciena. Mon Mothma and Ackbar and Leia figure out which ones do need to go to trial (i.e. Veers or Sloane ranking characters etc.) and Ciena is released to Thane's custody but since Jelucan is still technically in Imperial hands, they make a life on Chandrila with Thane still serving the NR while Ciena figures out what she needs to do and eventually is accepted in NR ranks. They find Nash (who has a mental breakdown because he finally cracks for keeping his pain of Alderaan in him for so long) and bring him back to NR to be rehabilitated. Whether or not Thane and Ciena get involved in the Resistance is another question but I figure that Ciena's path will lead her to the NR.

14. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I prefer her not be a member of the NR.
    Otherwise the powerful ending of LS would be ruined.
    It doesn't matter how much I wish Ciena would be another Lara Notsil. (Lara Notsil is one of my favourite Legend characters). LS need the ending to work as a great book rather than a just another fine addition to the canon's collection.

If no Imperial version of the Resistance exists, then I am fine with Ciena joining the Resistance, just for her to fight the FO because she would think the FO be usurpers, even worse than the rebel terrorists.

15. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    Another chapter is up:

[link removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2018
    KerkKorpil likes this.
  16. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Why? Why do they have to just twist the dagger a bit more? The Laser Canon incident?
    *sobs* and *runs away*
    I can't. I just can't take it anymore.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  17. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    This is actually surprisingly good.

18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    There are quite a few more chapters since the last post - chapters 6, 7, and 8.

[link removed]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [image removed]

20. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Na na na na na na na, na na na na

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

KerkKorpil, Barriss_Coffee and Vthuil like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    IMPERIAL BALL IMPERIAL BALL IMPERIAL BALL IMPERIAL BALL IMPERIAL BALL IMPERIAL BALL IMPERIAL BALL IMPERIAL BALL

finally!!

also LMAO Ved Foslo's outfit

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

It returns :D :D

KerkKorpil likes this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    If I were to write a fanfic ending akin to my Lucifer's Star novel, I'd basically write it like this:

Ciena is interrogated by aggressive New Republic Intelligence agents for the better part of a month as they keep trying to find proof that she was involved in Darth Vader and Gallius Rax's schemes since she had a meteoric rise through the Empire's ranks with the approval of Grand Moff Tarkin. That sort of person HAS to be a psychopath of some sort and the entire thing is frustrating for EVERYONE because her record is spotless which they assume is a forgery.

It drives Thane Kyrell to bitterness and drink as he is frustrated with both the New Republic as well as Ciena as no one believes him when he says she's a good person nor will she budge an INCH on defending the Empire. Almost all of her fellow captains also name her as a big star of the Empire as the cowards and scum roll on her in the "Orange is the New Black" way despite her doing nothing.

Then the Empire surrenders and is dissolved.

And Ciena is freed.

Specifically, she's to be reparated to the "Rump Empire" which consists of Coruscant as the New Republic Administrated World is being used to house all of the Imperials who are no longer wanted on their homeworlds but were not guilty of war crimes. Ciena is stunned by this and disappointed as it frees her from her oath since Mas Amedda IS the legal head of the Empire. It resolves all of her moral conundrum.

And Thane is FURIOUS. Because she couldn't budge on her morals even when she knew the Empire was evil.

The novella in my head ends with the two parting at the shuttle launching bad as they can never be together now because they will always be who they are.

Which is, yes, basically the same ending but it has a chapter or two more with Aftermath as a coda.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

My favorite part is when Ved says, "Yo Thane, you're lookin' simple." [face_laugh]

KerkKorpil likes this.