main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Lost Under the Surface-AU-Obi/Xan/Garen(co-written with Shaindl) Complete! 10/13!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_ew, Apr 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Title: Lost Under the Surface

Authors: co-written by obi-ew and Shaindl

Genre: AU

Summary: When Obi-Wan is taken captive while on a mission,can Xanatos and Garen put aside their differences long enough to find and rescue him?

Characters: Obi-Wan,Xanatos and Garen.

Disclaimer: George Lucas owns all things Star Wars,and Wolverton and Watson own all things JA.

Authors notes: This is a follow up to obi_ew's story Underneath a Sky of Dust .

We will be taking turns writing the posts for this.Since we both already have other stories in progress,this won't be on any set schedule. :D

Special Thanks: To froggy for offering some inspirational ideas!

To Linkin Park for the title! It is a lyric from their song Numb off of the marvelous new album Meteora !

First chapter up in a few minutes! ;)

2. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi there!

obi_ew has given me the privilege of the first post - I hope you all like this joint outing by her and I...it will, at the least, be interesting! :)

The Calling was, for any and every Padawan, a momentous occasion, a time for celebration and reflection, a time for other Jedi to pay honour to the Master-Padawan pair at the time of one of a young Jedi?s biggest life events.

It was also, Obi-Wan Kenobi thought sourly, a time for one?s supposed friends to bicker like five-year old initiates.

The ceremony itself, though almost absurdly short since the Jedi didn?t believe in drawn out rituals, had been even more moving than he had expected; he doubted there would be many days where it wouldn?t cross his mind at least briefly. The lines of irritation on his face eased as he reached up and felt the newly-shorn spot behind his right ear, and recalled the scene that had played out only a short while before.

At any given Call, the Padawan who was being raised to knighthood could expect there to be people he didn?t know ? some knights, a couple Masters, perhaps, at least one Council member, usually, all of whom came to share the joy, perhaps to remember their own knighting fondly. But this, in Obi-Wan?s opinion, was a little bit ridiculous.

The entire Council had turned out, led by Masters Yoda and Windu. Masters he had had as teachers from his days in the crèche through his Senior Padawan years had come. All his friends, at least those not on missions, were there, as were all his agemates, even those he wasn?t close to. But it was all the Masters, knights, padawans and initiates he didn?t know, and who had come for the occasion, who had truly packed the room.

It wasn?t everyday that the anchor of the Chosen One was knighted.

He stood at the edge of the Circle which was at the centre of the room where all knightings took place, the torches in the sconces on the wall flickering merrily and providing light in the darkened chamber. His best friends, those he had grown up with in the crèche, were on one side of him, his bond-brother on the other side. He glanced towards his friends, eliciting excited and happy smiles from Bant and Reeft, while Garen?s attention was focused over his head. Obi-Wan sighed, and looked the other way, finding Xan also staring over his head. They were glaring at one another, one more attempt by each to intimidate.

He fought to let go of his annoyance; today was not the day for that kind of emotion. But he had to admit that he was truly getting sick of it ? the least they could do was let it go for this one day.

Big hands settled on his shoulders and the deep baritone voice that he loved rumbled in his ear. ?Ignore them, my Padawan. This day is about you.?

Obi-Wan smiled. He reached a hand up to rest on one of the big ones on his shoulders. Without turning around, he replied. ?And about you, my Master.?

Pride, joy and love shone along their bond, as they each let the other feel the full force of their emotions. //I am so very proud of you, Obi-Wan. There has never been a Master more privileged than I.// Obi-Wan blinked back tears and tightened his hold on his Master?s hand. They stood that way until it was time to move forward into the Knighting Circle for the short ceremony.

At the right moment, when the moon that shone over Coruscant was centred over the hole in the ceiling, providing a pool of light in the middle of the Circle, they moved as one, Obi-Wan settling gracefully to his knees, Qui-Gon coming to rest facing him. Spectral white light from the moon above illuminated their features and peace filled the room. It was as if the Force itself had decided to put its own stamp on this particular Call.

Obi-Wan felt the swell of the Force as it was summoned, knew who was doing the summoning. Suddenly, the room was awash in white moonlight and red and gold fire as the torches around the room flared up higher than should have been possible. The flames arched overhead, traveling up the walls and ceiling, held in place with the Forc

3. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Brilliant! :D * worries about living up to first posty* This will most definately be interesting! ;)

4. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I didn't take time to read the whole thing yet
    but I like what I saw. I never thought they would have a ceremony to promote Padawans. I thought Yoda just told him he was promoted and it was done. Is Qui-Gon still alive in this story or was that his ghost or something?

5. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    What a beautiful start to the story. [face_love]

The ceremony was touching and lovely.

Obi-Wan faking it [face_love] [face_love] Who wouldn't do what he asked, if he looked so adorable? [face_mischief]

More soon, please!

6. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Lovely work, Shaindl, I think the ceremony was lovely! :)

Obi-Wan was absolutely great at manipulating those two....what a little brat!

But such a cute one... [face_love]

And don't worry, obi-ew, I'm sure you're going to do a wonderful job on this!

Can't wait!

:)

7. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    This is going to be so much fun. I absolutely loved Underneath and Sky of Dust, and to have you both colaborating on the sequel is just wonderful. :)

That was one of the most beautiful portrayals of a Knighting ceremony that I have ever seen written Shaindl. Absolutely stunning.

And just as suddenly, it occurred to Obi-Wan that this was likely to be the only day in his life where he would have both of them at his mercy and feeling guilty. A very un-Jedilike urge to get them back for all the times they put him in the middle of their spats came over him. This could be fun... [face_laugh]

This entire segment where Obi-Wan is putting on a show to manipulate Xan and Garen had me rolling with laughter. That was priceless and made my day. :D

As far as living up to the first post oe, surely you are forgetting that this is the sequel to your original masterpiece. I don't think you will have a problem at all. [face_love]

8. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    Ahhh... I love it you two!! :D

Obi... he cracks me up. Although I'm not too happy about this tension between Garen and Xan. I figure only bad things can come out of it. :(

Wonderful start! I love! [face_love]

_PSK_

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was beautifully done - the ceremony was just right, the trick that Obi-wan played on the two bickering Jedi was amusing and yet surprisingly sad that he had to resort to such trickery to get them to stop. I loved that Qui-Gon hugged Obi-Wan at the end of the ceremony.

Am very much looking forward to the next post.

Oh, and could you give us the link to the other story (for those of us - hiding in shame - that missed it the first time)?

10. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    oh this is going to be so much fun!

I was just rolling on the ground at Xan and Garen, and Obi's manipulation was perfect.

Such a beautiful ceremony also.

Can't wait for more.

11. Jedi_FuzzyWuzzy

Jedi_FuzzyWuzzy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2003
    tagging for future read

:D hey ya'll :D

....Flash

12. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    *crowns Shaindl Queen Of Garen*

:D

13. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Obi-Wan, King of the manipulators :D

Wonderful start :)

14. VadeyFan2002

VadeyFan2002 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2002
    Wonderful start!

The knighting was so lyric.

And Obi's trick on Garen and Xan was just what they deserved.

Is there a great friendship coming for the two of them.

Most of the time, when 'enemies' have to work together under tough circumstances with a uniting goal, they come out of it as close friends.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but I will read nonetheless.

Vadey

15. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    WOW! :D I love it! I'm sooo looking forward to reading this story!
    And there's my sweet little Garen... [face_love] I know he's in good hands! ;)

Can't wait for more!!

16. Freakizimi

Freakizimi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2003
    Totally groovy! More please!
    :D

17. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    A sequel? ::does happy dance:: I really liked the original story -- so much so that I bookmarked it. I'm thrilled to bits that y'all've decided to continue the saga. Yippee!

What can I say about this other than "wow"? You evoke the emotions so well! I couldn't help but glow with contentment at the interaction--the love!--you crafted between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. :D The antagonism between Garen and Xani seemed quite realistic as well.

You descriptions of the scenery were as vivid as your depictions of the character interactions. I felt like I could *see* the action during the Knighting ceremony.

Very nicely done indeed! I look forward to more. ::hopeful, pleading look:: Please?

18. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Nice... well written... And yeah, I can just see Obi-Wan faking it [face_laugh]

I agree with dianethx - can we have the link please? My excuse : I've only been on the boards a month so of course I didn't catch Underneath a Sky of Dust

Xanatos - he's a great character, and you write him well. Plus of course his name begins with X which is an instant poiny in his favour. Do not ask why. :)

Back soon

Nemesis ;)

19. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    :eek: Pleased to see all of the replies!I'm sure Shaindl will send replies later.Here's the link to Dust .Before some of you get upset,there is only a casual mention of Garen in it.I had no interest in him until Shaindl brought him to life in her fic! :)

Underneath a Sky of Dust

If this doesn't work look in my bio for a link that works! ;)

20. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Wow! [face_blush]

Never had so many replies on the first post of a story before - thank you all so much! Now for some replies...

OE - please. Live up to the first post? You have nothing to worry about, my dear. :)

scuiggefest - no, Qui isn't a blue ghostie here. He's still alive at the end of Sky of Dust - you might want to follow the link OE put up and take a quick gander through that wonderful story to see how Qui, Obi and Xan come together. Thanks for reading!

Suz - aw, thanks! As for more soon, my lovely co-writer is up next, so you'll have to bug her! :p

Astro - thank you! And you're so right - who could resist that face awash with tears? :D

Sheila - I was so lucky when OE agreed to work with me - and to have her suggest we follow up one of her stories was incredible! Thanks for your words on the knighting ceremony - I told OE that I had always wanted to write one, but never had the guts - she forced me into it by making me write the first post! :D

PSK - hi! Although I'm not too happy about this tension between Garen and Xan. I figure only bad things can come out of it. - Us? Do something bad to Garen, Xan and/or Obi? Oh, ye of little faith! :p

Diane - hey! Good to see you - will get caught up on your latest post soon! You know, I hadn't thought about his trick being a sad ploy to get them to stop, but you're absolutely right. Kind of pathetic too that they couldn't make a concerted effort to put aside their differences for one day. I love it when readers point out something that I've totally missed! :)

Paddy - thanks so much! And I hear my thanks are in order for some help with the plot! A devious mind you have Froggy...

JFW - Hey! Hope you'll enjoy when you have the time. And no one else has asked on any other thread that I've seen, so I will - why did you change your name? Just curious. :)

FOW - [face_blush] thank you - but you haven't seen what OE will do with him yet...

Kit - no kidding, king of the manipulators! And to answer your comments on my thread - thanks for the good wishes. I'll be thinking of you on the plane - I hope you have a nice seder waiting for you somewhere when you land! :)

VadeyFan2002 - thank you for the kind words - but as for their relationship, you'll have to wait and see. I hope you'll stick around for it! And Xan and Garen did get what they deserved, didn't they?

Nat - Your sweet little Garen? We might have to have a little tussle over your choice of words, dearie! :D Thanks for reading as always!

freakizimi - Thanks - and thanks for your reply on my thread!

Lurkalidth - wow, such praise! Thanks so much! And as for more soon, see above note to Suz! But I think OE and I are way too into this to ever let it go...

Nem - hey Nem! I can see Obi faking it too - he has just enough of a sense of mischief in him to do it. And I'm sorry, I have to ask, as long as it doesn't require you typing too long an answer, why is X for his first name important? :D

Well, you all have no idea how much you've excited me! We were rather curious to see the reaction we'd get, and I don't think we could be any happier. :)

21. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Shaindl I just like X. If I ever have kids, one of them's going to be called Xan and to hell with the consequences. :p

Oh - question - will Anakin be anywhere in this fic? If he isn't then - who cares. ;)

This is great stuff (I just reread the first post) keep it up guys, keep it up!

Oh and Yoda... hehehe... brilliant. "Say something nice each of you will." I can imagine it. [face_laugh]

Nem ;)

22. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    It always seems I show up late to the party :( So glad you posted the link to this on your fic Shaindl or I may have missed it. I have recently finished RRK's fic, well a week or two ago, and I do have time to take on another :) Well, time is subjective, however I will make time for such a promising fic with two such wonderful authors.

Lovely first post Shaindl! I just loved the big crocodile tears, what a show Obi put on :) Loved the affection between Qui and Obi as well. And the conflict between Garen and Xanatos with our lovely Obi caught in the middle is just irresistible.

I for one will not be complaining if it takes some time between posts. I rarely get here, and it's very hard to keep up on daily posts for me (as obi_ew already knows) :) I've really missed your work o_e and am glad I get to tag along for another great fic. Catch you later.

--Shan

P.S. You two have done an awesome job of bringing two highly underrated characters to life. I love it!

23. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Anakin doesn't exist in this galaxy! :D Xan is the Chosen One! [face_love]

24. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    Wonderful post....

**taps foot waitin for the next post**

Where is it? A sick gal needs her post here...

PT

25. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    Wow... two of my fav authors teaming up for a fic!!!

:::faints dead away:::

:::wakes up briefly:::

By the way... what a GREAT first post!

:::faints again:::

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.