main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends LotF: Endgame-Chapter 49 posted 9/18 (Nominated for Best Drama)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Ultima_1, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Well, HK-47 will be in the next chapter.

Yeah, the telekinesis did make a difference, as did Valin's familiarity with Tahiri's fighting style. In my concept for Chaya and bio on the Fanon Wiki, I decided that her empathy is so strong that when she causes someone else pain, she feels it too, so her combat skills are lacking compared to most Jedi. Plus, I'm envisioning Tahiri as one of the best hand to hand fighters in the Order because of her mix of styles.

Thanks. I just read I, Exile today and was pretty impressed. I'll reply to it in a little bit.

It's funny that when I work to include humor, no one seems to mention it, but when I just happen across it in the course of writing a scene, people get a kick out of it. Who knows, Valin's feelings for Tahiri might come into play again. [face_thinking] If someone hadn't suggested a Tahiri escape attempt, I wouldn't have mentioned the device for even longer, so I'm glad I had this chance to refresh people's memory.

One thing I'm surprised no one commented on was Tahiri's nightmare. I thought it might get overshadowed by her escape attempt, but I was hoping it would get some attention.

Just so everyone knows, I'm starting to feel a bit burned out because of stuff happening in real life, so I'm going to be taking a couple weeks off. Plus, this will give me the opportunity to get some chapters built up so that I'm not sending them to Dana to get betaed at the last minute. I did get through Chapter 49 outlined over the weekend, so you don't have to worry that I'm abandoning the story.

2. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Just a quick update. I got a bit of writing done last weekend, but then I had a pretty bad week. I hope to get back to posting either this coming Friday or the next one.

3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Great, it's nice to see you back, I look forward to the next chapter, whenever it's posted, and I hope that everything goes well for you.

4. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Chapter 40
    Rwookrrorro, Kashyyyk
    "Chaya?" a voice asked.

She turned from her monitoring station in surprise. When she recognized the visitor, she stood up out of her chair. "Grand Master Skywalker."

"No need to be so formal, Chaya," he told her before sitting down in the room's other chair. "How are you doing?"

Chaya sat back down. "What? Oh, yeah. The black eye isn't as bad as it looks. Cilghal said that I didn't have any major injuries. Tahiri must have been telling the truth when she said she didn't want to hurt me." She fell silent for a moment. I've always tended to ramble a bit when I'm nervous. "I just wish I'd been able to stop her."

"You have nothing to be sorry for," Luke answered. "Not everyone's talents with the Force make them warriors. No one holds your empathy against you." He looked at one of the monitors, which showed Tahiri tossing and turning on her bed. "It doesn't look like she's sleeping well."

Chaya looked over her shoulder at the monitor Luke was observing. "That's not a live feed. Cilghal and I decided to leave Tahiri in the healing trance Valin put her in for a while longer. This is the longest uninterrupted sleep she's had since she got here." All three hours of it. "She told me she was having nightmares, but she refused to go into any detail about them." And probably wouldn't have even mentioned them if I hadn't figured it out on my own.

"Have you tried touching her mind while she's having one of the nightmares?" Luke suggested.

"I'm keeping that in mind, but I'd prefer a less invasive solution. There are a couple other things I want to try first," Chaya answered. "I just wish I was able to read her better. I should have made more of an effort to get to know her when I became a Jedi."

"Remember, she was on Zonoma Sekot for five years after the Vong War," Luke reminded her. "And then she was constantly on missions. I can't help but wonder. If we'd had someone like you in the Order during the war, maybe we could have averted this whole situation. Jacen and Tahiri were obviously emotionally damaged by their captures by the Vong."

"Maybe so," Chaya allowed. "But there's nothing that can be done about that now. We just have to help whoever we can now."

"Could the nightmares have something to do with the things she has said about Anakin?" Luke suggested, bringing them back to Tahiri.

"I would assume so. Mentioning him seems to be the only way to get any emotional reactions out of her right now," Chaya told him.

Luke fell silent, but before he could speak again, Chaya asked him a question. "How are you holding up?"

He didn't answer right away, and through all his mental shielding, Chaya was still just barely able to read his emotional state.

"It's been difficult," he admitted. "And Ben running off into danger hasn't helped. Of all the things he could have inherited from me, of course it had to be my youthful recklessness." He laughed, but Chaya could feel a bit of bitterness underneath it.

"I'm sorry I haven't had as much time to help the two of you through your grief as I'd like," Chaya said. "Between Tionne and Tahiri, I haven't had much time."

"It's fine, Chaya. What you're doing here is important. I'm just not sure what I'll do if I lose Ben so soon after Mara," Luke told her.

"You aren't going to," Chaya assured him, even though she had no idea if it was the truth.

Jacen Solo's Apartment, Coruscant
    Darth Caedus entered his apartment and walked through the common room.

Red lights blinked to life on the head of HK-47 as soon as the door hissed shut. "Query: Is there anyone you need me to kill, Lord Caedus?"

"Not yet, HK-47. Don't worry, I'll find a task suitable to your unique talents soon," Caedus said as he sat on one of the common room's chairs.

"Statement: Thank you for your consideration, master. I have not killed any meatbags since my return from Hapes and the lack of activity is starting to wear on my circuits."

"I'

5. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    And here we go! It's all coming down now! I can just see HK-47 and Aurra Sing fighting with the Jedi now!

6. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Very nice and welcome back from hiatus! Good to see you back! Also, definitely interested in being added to your PM list.

Hope you've enjoyed I, Exile, even if you've seem rather shy about commenting.

7. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Great post, it'ss great to have you back, this chapter was definitely worth the wait. Chaya is an interesting OC, and thought I usually dislike OC's, this one is tolerable. Nice to see Caedus again, and he is certainly more conniving and intelligent in your fic than he was in profic. Nice job, and I look forward to the next update. =D=

8. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Well, not quite yet. Caedus is hoping that the attack on Kashyyyk will force the Jedi to scatter so that Sing and HK-47 can pick them off. Assuming, of course, that Sing can survive her next assignment :p

Thanks for the welcome back. You're now on the PM list.

Sorry about not posting. I tend to lurk unless something specific comes to mind. I'll try to remember to post on your next chapter.

Thanks. I was originally trying to avoid having OCs as more than background characters, but when I thought about having a psychiatrist Jedi it made too much sense to avoid. She doesn't really play a critical role, but I thought having a couple chapters from her POV would help with her charicterization. Plus, if this ever gets turned into a movie (yeah right), it would give Kate Hewlett something to do :p.

As for Caedus, he was fairly manipulative in Sacrifice, but after that, they pretty much dropped that part of his personality.

Updated PM list
    DarthAnakin101
    Darth_Drachonus
    GrandMasterKatarn
    Jedimaster_JainaSolo
    DarthEL
    JediMasterAmanda
    SilverWolf77 *
    gonz10
    Zardi
    AnakinFlair *
    Kidan
    MiralukaJedi

* indicates that my last update PM bounced. If it happens 2 more times in a row, those people will be removed from the list unless and until they post on this thread again.

9. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Chapter 41
    Chief of State's Office, Coruscant
    "Senator G'sil to see you," a protocol droid informed Caedus.

I should have brought Orlopp with me when I moved over here, Caedus thought. After so much time with C-3PO growing up, I can't take protocol droids seriously. "Send him in," he said.

As the Coruscanti senator walked into the office, Caedus pretended to be engrossed in some information on his datapad.

Eventually, the senator broke the silence with a disapproving comment. "Chief of State Solo, I see that you have decided to move into this office after all."

Caedus inwardly frowned at the rebuke, but did not allow his frustration to show as he looked up. "This isn't an attempt to grab power. I do not intend to run for election when the war is over." Because there won't be one. "With Cha's death, I felt that I no longer had time to devote to the Guard. Since there's only one chief of state again, there's no reason to leave this office unused."

G'sil took the hint and changed subjects. "Why was the Security Council not informed of your intention to propose a cease fire with the Confederation?"

"I felt that an immediate response to the assassination was required. If the Confederation were still in play, massing our forces for a strike on the Jedi would allow them to take advantage," Caedus replied.

"The investigation of Cha's assassination is still ongoing," G'sil countered. "There is no concrete evidence that the Jedi were responsible. Yes, initial findings suggest it, but?"

Caedus interrupted. "I would consider her head being cut off with a lightsaber pretty concrete. What's more, none of her staff remembers anyone entering the room and there were rolling security camera outages consistent with a Jedi disrupting them as he or she passed."

"Perhaps the Confederation has framed the Jedi to give themselves time to rebuild," G'sil suggested.

"They wouldn't have sacrificed Fyor Rodan to further such an illusion," Caedus pointed out.

"Perhaps not," G'sil allowed. "However, you should have consulted with the Security Council before offering the cease fire."

"I will keep that in mind," Caedus allowed. "And it's a good thing you are here. I just received reliable intelligence on the location of the Jedi headquarters."

"Is striking at the Jedi a truly urgent priority?" G'sil asked. "Our victory at Sluis Van may have been a large setback to the Confederation, but we did sustain heavy losses at Centerpoint."

"Admiral Darklighter would not want us to allow the Jedi to gain control of what he sacrificed his life to protect," Caedus insisted. Actually, he was enough of a Jedi sympathizer that he probably would have. "We need to strike at Kashyyyk now before they can fortify it any further."

G'sil didn't answer for several seconds. "Getting authorization to strike at Kashyyyk may be difficult considering how your last visit there went."

"We need to strike now," Caedus repeated. "I can counter the Jedi battle meld with the same technique that allowed me to destroy the Confederation fleet at Sluis Van. That will negate the advantage their Stealth-Xs give them."

"But still, your bombardment of Kashyyyk caused several planets to withdraw their support," G'sil pointed out. "Support for any move against the Wookiees, especially with you commanding the attack fleet, will be limited."

"We can deal with them when their time comes," Caedus said. "The Jedi are a clear and present threat. They have proven that they can penetrate our best security. I can hold my own against anyone they send, but how well do you think your security would do against them?"

G'sil's face paled at the thought of suffering the same fate as Niathal had. When he regained his composure, he spoke again. "When you have your intelligence in order, let me know and I will call an emergency session of the Security Council."

G'vli, be careful, Caedus thought as the man walked out. You're on the verge of becoming too s

10. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Very nice. I wonder what it is exactly that Isolder wants.

11. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Nice update, I enjoyed seeing Caedus converse with G'sil, it looks like the Senator is realizing how deep he is in with the Sith Lord, and that he really has no control over the situation. I also liked the fact that you used the little part about neither JCOS moving into Omas's office, nice touch, Traavis made that up, and then didn't comment on it when Jacen took the office in Revelation. Also, the Hapans have arrived, that's good news. Great job, and I can't wait for the next chapter.

12. GrandMasterKatarn

Feb 8, 2008
    It's all coming down now! The End Is Near! Long live the Kyle!

13. Aracnid

Aracnid Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 24, 2008
    Great work, I fear G'sil time in this universe is drawing to a close, but I am worried by the appearance of a Hapan Fleet over Kashyyyk, I'm a big Dark DC/TK shipper and hope this doesn't kill and possibility of that.

14. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Well, you won't see him in person for a while, but he will be mentioned again in a couple chapters.

Yeah, G'sil is in deep poodoo. The part about the office was a late addition, but I've always tried to include little details that were ignored or not gone into as much as they could have been.

I wouldn't say that the end is near, but things are about to break down a bit more.

Well, compared to Niathal, G'sil is a fairly minor character, but he's a good foil to Caedus. I'm not going to promise anything in regard to Caedus/Tenel Ka, but him sending Tahiri to try kidnapping Allana isn't exactly promising.

Tomorrow's chapter will feature Caedus, Aurra Sing, Ben, and Myri.

15. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Chapter 42

Jacen Solo's Apartment, Coruscant
    "Greetings, master. Are there any meatbags you wish me to exterminate today?" HK-47 asked as soon as the door shut behind Caedus.

"Sorry, nothing for you yet," Caedus told him, smiling at the droid's bloodlust. "Once we destroy the Jedi base on Kashyyyk, I'll let you loose on the Jedi. I just need to check a few things before I leave."

A chime from his desk drew Caedus' attention from the droid. He quickly walked over to the desk and saw that it was a transmission from Aurra Sing. "Yes?" he asked.

"Tiu Zax and Orlin Kelris are dead," Sing told him, holding the lightsabers up to her ship's holocam.

"Very good. I will transfer 20,000 credits to your account," Caedus told her. "Now, I have a special assignment for you."

"I'm listening," Sing answered.

"I want you to kill Gilad Pellaeon," Caedus answered simply.

When given such an assignment, Caedus knew that a vast majority of even the most hardened bounty hunters would hesitate to take in the enormity of the task. Sing simply smiled and in the same tone of voice she would probably use to order a cup of caf, said "Two million credits."

I was prepared to give her three million, but if I answer too quickly, she will press for more money. After appearing to consider her request for a few moments, Caedus answered. "Agreed."

"All in advance," Sing continued. "It will be expensive to get into a position to kill him."

Caedus pretended to consider that for a moment before offering a compromise. "Half now, half on completion. Not that I don't trust you? but I don't trust you."

"Agreed," Sing said. "After all, I wouldn't want you to try triggering the self destruct you had installed on this ship."

I knew she would probably find it, but with luck, she didn't find the other safeguard I placed against her going rogue, Caedus thought.

"Or the Holskerim gas your agents put in the ventilation system," she continued. Without further comment, she closed the comm channel.

"She thinks she's so clever, doesn't she?" Caedus mused.

"Master?" HK-47 asked.

"She found the safeguards I expected her to find. She didn't mention anything about the changes I had you make to her ship's base code," Caedus clarified.

"Statement: Of course not. You ordered me to make it undetectable," the droid answered in an offended tone of voice.

Champianne Rest Hotel, Coruscant
    Ben sat cross-legged on his bed and looked at his lightsaber. I've heard that some Jedi have a connection to their lightsaber. That when they use it enough, another Jedi can feel whose lightsaber it is without looking at it. I didn't believe it until Dad gave me this one. It's nothing I can put my finger on, but there is something about this lightsaber that distinguishes it from the other one I used. Of course, without its focusing gem, it isn't doing me much good now.

Ben had thought that it would be almost impossible to get his lightsaber through security. Fortunately, Iella and Myri had thought of a plan. After removing the focusing crystal and a few easily replaceable components, they had been able to fit glowrod components into the lightsaber casing. Iella assured him that glowrods resembling lightsabers were popular items among children who had grown up in the aftermath of the Vong War.

If we get found out before Iella's package gets down here, that's going to be a problem, he thought. And even if I find another focusing gem, if Dad finds out that I lost part of his father's lightsaber, he's not going to be happy with me.

A sound instantly drew Ben's attention to the door. The hotel room Myri had rented for them was in better condition than most of the hotels he'd seen working for the Guard, but a far cry from the suites his family had been given during their extremely rare family vacations. He put the useless lightsaber down and hopped off the bed as the door opened.

"I'm

16. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Uh Oh! Why do I get the feeling that Ben and Myri are in more trouble than they realise? Good job though!

17. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Nice post, I liked the interaction between Caedus and Aurra, she's good, for a second I thought that the gas was the other countermeasure, then when Caedus spoek to HK-47, I realized that she still doesn't know about what he did, nice job, you're really making Caedus look smart, and not the idiot he was often portrayed as in canon, nice work. I also liked the Ben and Myri scene, nice to have a mention of the Ship and Ben feeling it, so he can still feel it, maybe it will tell Jacen that Ben's on Coruscant. Nice work, and I look forward to the next chapter, oh and it looks like Pelleaon's life insurance beneficiary is about to hit the jackpot.

18. GrandMasterKatarn

Feb 8, 2008
    Like I said, it's all coming down now (to the final battle!)

19. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Well, at least Caedus is going to be offworld when they make their move.

When I wrote about the gas, I thought so too, but then I had the idea of the third layer of insurance.
    Yeah, Ben's feeling of Ship could backfire.
    Well, no one in the Empire has security as good as Pellaeon's. Of course, most assassins don't have the resources of Sing, but if he goes down, he's not going down easy.

There's still too much to resolve for this to be the final battle, but it is going to be pretty big.

~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry, no chapter this week. I've hit a writer's block on the next chapter. I have plenty of ideas for Tahiri's next scene in a few chapters ( [face_devil] ), but not really any for the immediate next chapter.

20. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Just so you guys know, I have not abandoned this, I just am fighting off a case of writer's block.

Who knew that writing a battle from the POV of someone on the Falcon would be so different from writing it from the POV of a fighter pilot?

21. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Good luck on that one, those can get messy real fast :)

I'm confident you'll pull it through; just been reading through this entire story, and have been impressed with its overall quality :)

22. EmperorFel

EmperorFel Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2009
    This is a very good LotF story you have going. You're quite the storyteller.

1) Please don't kill Palleaon! He's such a legend.
    2) You've portrayed Tahiri far better than canon did. In canon, they made it appear as is she was more willing to apprentice herself to Jacen than she probably should have been. Someone just had to shout "GET OVER IT! He died 12 years ago, geez."

*crosses fingers* Here's to hoping Ben can save Lando and Shevu. And of course to a slow and painfully agonizing death to a certain Lord of the Sith...

23. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Thanks for your comments. No one is safe, which should be apparent from Gavin's death, but I'll keep your request in mind.

There will be a post sometime this weekend. It may not be today, but I'm hoping that giving myself this deadline will force me to finish up the chapter, even though it won't be beta read.

24. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Chapter 43

Star Destroyer Anakin Solo, Near Kashyyyk System
    "The fleet is assembled, Colonel Solo," Captain Kelos informed him. Caedus sat cross-legged in the meditation sphere in his personal hangar. As much as I would like to, I doubt I'll be able to fly in combat while performing battle meditation this time.

Caedus could feel the ship's irritation at his lack of confidence in it. There will be too many Jedi there to split my focus. "Is my flagship ready for battle?"

"Yes sir," the ship's captain answered. Following Tebut's imprisonment, Kelos had become far more accepting of Caedus's orders and "suggestions".

"Jump when ready," Caedus ordered.

"Yes, sir."

Caedus closed the comm channel and sank into meditation. He felt the ship jump into hyperspace, and mere seconds later, revert to realspace in the Kashyyyk system.

"Colonel, we have a Hapan fleet between us and Kashyyyk," Kelos informed him.

"Yes," Caedus replied. He had felt their presence when the ship dropped out of hyperspace. And another presence nearby. "And the Millennium Falcon is near them, isn't it?"

It took a few moments for the captain to respond. "Indeed it is, sir. What are your orders?"

"Send two squadrons of fighters after them, then focus on the Hapans," Caedus ordered, before sinking fully into battle meditation. He reached out with his mind to find the commander of the Hapan fleet and felt a familiar presence. "So, Tenel Ka, you sent your father to protect the Jedi. It is unfortunate that Allana will lose all three of her grandparents in one day."

Caedus started focusing his battle meditation on the Wookiees manning the ships in orbit of Kashyyyk so that they would take longer to ready their ships for battle. By the time they are ready, I will have already destroyed the Hapan fleet. I know they won't surrender, but I don't plan to offer them the opportunity to anyways.

Caedus felt the eagerness of his fleet's personnel as the battle began. It is a good thing that I am using as many of the same ships from Sluis Van as were available. Having already led them in battle once seems to enhance the effect of the battle meditation.

As the Anakin Solo started firing its long range turbolasers at the vanguard of the Hapan fleet, two of the Alliance task forces split off in an attempt to flank the Hapans and catch them in a crossfire. Caedus could already feel lives in the Hapan fleet being snuffed out. Just smaller ships so far, but it won't be long before their Battle Dragons fall before us. Suddenly, Caedus felt the crew of one of his Mon Calamari cruisers die.

"Captain, the Waverider was just destroyed by Stealth Xs. Order all fighters in that area to search for them," Caedus ordered before focusing his mind on that part of the engagement zone.

Millenium Falcon, Kashyyyk System
    An alarm drew Leia's attention from the banter between Han and Wedge. "Alliance contacts just dropped out of hyperspace."

The three of them had flown up to the Warsong to coordinate with Prince Isoloder on the best way to integrate his forces with the Wookiee fleet and Jedi squadrons already defending the planet.

"Millennium Falcon, this is Warsong. We are deploying fighters to escort you to the surface now."

"We aren't going to the surface, Warsong," Han answered. "But they are welcome to join us in our attack."

"I didn't expect you would, Captain Solo," Isoloder cut in. "The wing commander has been instructed to follow your orders."

"Good to know," Han replied.

"Han, Luke's squadron just launched," Leia called forward. "Jaina's squadron is right behind them."

"Good. Wouldn't want them to miss all the fun," Wedge quipped.

"Leia, take the controls, I feel like shooting something," Han told her, standing up from his seat.

"That's why I love you dear," Leia answered as he turned

25. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    I really, really hope that it all ends up backfiring against Caedus :mad:. Very nicely done though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.