main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LOTF interest diminished by Legacy comic?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by killfire, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    I'm just curious how you feel about.

I could never get into the clone wars books because they were SW past and I knew how it would end in general. For the same reasons I wasn't getting into the second Han Solo trilogy.

Now with DN being not my piece of cake and the Legacy comics revealing the future after LotF, my interest in that series is decreasing fast. Basically i just want to know how the big 3 die and then move on.

Anyone feels the same?

2. Mark686

Mark686 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 30, 2001
    So you think theyre gonna die huh?

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends on how interested you were already in LOT before Legacy.

I wasn't because DN didn't exactly thrill me, so I'm more interested in Legacy than LOTF because it gives me an exit route from what I'm finding to be a rubbish story.

The flip side to this is that someone already interested in LOTF may well be more interested because they can mine it for clues as to how the situation in Legacy arises. Although I'm inclined to see that as a fool's errand: DHC publish Legacy for next 3 years, DR publish LOTF for next 3 years, Legacy continues and the books go to a new licensee, new license holder announces its line will focus on covering the LOTF-Legacy gap!

(Or is this scenario just too cynical?)

JB

4. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Yip, maybe not all of them. Strangely, I feel Han being safest because of that Leia line he'll be outliving them all. I can imagine LOTF with Leia dead in #5 and Luke in #9 and Han flying into obscurity with the Falcon.

Somehow I have strong feeling Luke will go. Legacy comics would be pointless if he still were around which I think he could with being 50ish in LotF and being a Jedi.

JB, not too cynical. But who would care what the sons and daughters of Jacen, Jaina and Ben are up too before they die before Legacy comics? They'll sure go out like punks ...

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No.

But I don't really read the comics, so meh. :)

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Dark Nest made me lose interest. I hope it doesn't continue on the "OMG VERGERE MAED TEH JEEDI EVAL!!11!1" path DN started, but it probably will. The Legacy comics seem more a departure from "real" Star Wars than anything before, so I'm naturally wary of it (although it seems like the typical "The GFFA's gone to hell" storyline, but 100 years later).

7. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I'm always up for something different so I'm really looking forward to the Legacy comics.

8. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I've not been that interested in LotF in any case. The novels seem to be moving rapidly away from the interesting and rich possibilities for the Force opened up in the NJO, and the Rebel-successor governments are getting tiresome. The Vong were a very interesting element of the universe through the early NJO, and the new understandings of the Force made the end of the NJO fascinating. As long as the trend is going to be to backpedal away from all that, the novels are going to get progressively less interesting for me.

Legacy, on the other hand, sounds like a great project and has really captured my imagination. Moving a hundred years into the future and distancing itself from a lot of the baggage that has accumulated across the novels is going to be great, and I'm really looking forward to whatever John and Jan have in store. But I wouldn't say I'm any less interested in LotF because of Legacy. I was just never that interested in LotF and have always been interested in Legacy.

-Paul

9. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Kind of. I was never all that hyped about LotF to begin with. Dark Nest was pretty underwhelming and the major characters in the NJO era are getting really annoying to me. Like I want them to all die horrible deaths annoying.

I'm really just hoping for new characters (or old ones returning like the Wraiths) and that Jacen and Jaina get whats coming to them.

Honestly I think Legacy has more promise than LotF. Everything is original and it isn't confined by having to use bad characters that nobody cares about anymore. I mean honestly, would it cause an uproar here if Jacen or Jaina died? It would be nothing compared to Chewie or Anakin's deaths.

Another thing is that John, Jan and Dark Horse are doing a better job of promoting Legacy than Del Rey, Allston, Traviss and Denning are of promoting LotF. John and Jan are here all the time talking to us and teasing us, the covers raise questions and Randy's editorial page at DH.com also raised my interest.

10. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Hi all--
    I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. You do understand that LotF and Legacy have very few connections, right? Both eras are dealing with completely different characters. If you don't read LotF, there is so much of Star Wars history and characters that you will never know about since we are not dealing with it in Legacy. Sure, there are going to be connections, but nothing like you are imagining here.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The onyl thing that could bother me is if the Legacy era reveals that the Galactic Alliance is no more. Then I would feel that reading the LOTF books would be cheapened by the fact that I know the good guy government I am rooting for will not last more than 100 years.

But, I plan on holding my judgement until I have read the comics. It would be stupid to dismiss them before giving them a chance.

--Adm. Nick

12. Bando_Gora1138

Bando_Gora1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Yes, I agree, that while my interest is a bit dimished by the Legacy comic, I still look forward to it (the comic, as well, to a lesser extent, LOTF). And while you're entitled to your opinion, I personally think it's about time the EU came up with their own civil war like in the movies. Hopefully it is what they promise and has that true Star Wars feel.

13. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Interest dimished?

Yes.

I was excited about LOTF, insofar as one could be after being incredibly disappointed that the post-ROTJ EU continued after TUF.

After I found out about the Legacy comics, my interest in LOTF dropped to absolute zero. I cancelled my pre-ordered books, vowed never to purchase another Del Rey or Darkhorse related Star Wars work again, I cursed Jon and Jan and Sue and Shelly, and became incredibly cynical about the whole EU, all in the course of four minutes.

Mark my words, Legacy is a mistake, and in the end I'll be sitting on the high ground laughing at you all who shelled out real money for it.

14. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    >>After I found out about the Legacy comics, my interest in LOTF dropped to absolute zero. I cancelled my pre-ordered books, vowed never to purchase another Del Rey or Darkhorse related Star Wars work again, I cursed Jon and Jan and Sue and Shelly, and became incredibly cynical about the whole EU, all in the course of four minutes.<<

That seems like an intelligent thing to do.

15. Bratty Jedi Master

Bratty Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 1, 1999
    I'm anxiously awaiting both of them. I am hoping for great stories in two different eras, from two different sets of storytellers, in two different mediums. I am sure out of all the books and comics that will comprise these two series, I will enjoy some and be less enthusiastic about others as has happened often in the past. Even with the "disappointments," I ultimately just like Star Wars.

Bratty

16. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Heh. Your name suits you.

You aren't taking the high ground. At the very least I would read one of the comics in the store and see if I like it. I can't say Legacy will be the best EU yet, but I can say that it won't be the worst. If it reaches the lows of CotJ, GoDV or Crystal Star I will go into a coma.

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Dp4m doesn't read the comics? Burn the drow! Ostrander full names aside, they're at their best now. [face_mischief]

18. Mark686

Mark686 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 30, 2001
    I dont either. I prefer the pace of a novel. More like that of a film.

19. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    They're different, I mean, LOTF is a novel while Legacy is a comic series.

LOTF is going to be great when it comes out and all I'm sure, but it't just a book, you read it and it's done.

Legacy is a comic, and a Jan Duursema comic, so you get fantastic art AND a good story.

I guess the depth of a novel makes it equal to the imagery of a comic. We know the comic is going to have fantastic art, and we hope the novel will have depth.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Actually, a more suitable name would be Reactionary_Edward. ;)

21. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I'm much more excited about the Legacy comics than I am the LOTF books. Mostly because Jan and John are at the helm, and I enjoyed their prequal comics so much. I don't think that Legacy will neccisarily spoil any secrets to be revealed in LOTF. I mean really, how often do people go into specifics about how their ancestors died just in conversation? They can easily avoid talking about the fates of the Big Three, or even the generation after them and it wouldn't diminish the Legacy comic any.

22. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    His views on how the EU should be done are radical. [face_talk_hand]

:p

23. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I'd go one step further and say Overreactionary_Edward.

I think legacy is going to be cool. I only hoped they had made it more in the future, around 1000 ABY, but then the tech would probably have to be too different.

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Like Sauron said, this is Duursema-class comics. The colours will leap off the page. What more do you need?

25. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    My interest ratio between LOTF and Legacy tipped towards the latter once it was revealed that John and Jan are doing the comics, and Traviss and Denning are doing the books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.