main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit LOTF Thoughts

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gorfy, Dec 14, 2014.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    This thread feels like someone arguing with the MST crew.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  2. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    First it was new, now it's iconic. You didn't like it because there were "iconic new characters"? What kind of hats did you want these iconic new characters to wear?

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Personally I think that Children of the Jedi is completely validated by that Ithorian Leia talks to in that one scene. That's the sort of new-blood character infusion that keeps the saga strong.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I believe he was being sarcastic.

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Biggest disappointment of the reboot is that we won't get any more stories featuring the continuing adventures of Niathal, Nelani Dinn, Durr Gejjen, Lorn Shevu, and Geordi Lekauf.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm speechless.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I am sad that Jori Lekauf and Lon Shevu were killed. I liked those two.

8. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm glad they finished the series and the Legacy comic before the reboot.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Was the Confederation plotline ever wrapped up? How the heck was Daala thought to be the best choice? Mortis Dagger? Luke knowing of Krayt in FOTJ? The Lost tribe?
    What happened to Darth Nihl, Talon etc?

Too many questions left unanswered.

ILNP and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The post-NJO would have gone on until 2027. We were robbed of a good 15 years of it. That's 5 more nine book series folks. What a shame.

Riv_Shiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Agreed. They're two of the most likeable characters Traviss ever wrote.

[face_laugh]

*thinks about it*

My word, that would've been the worst thing ever.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    we might have finally learned why Jacen turned to the dark side by the end of it

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    And it still would've been a less compelling arc than that of Hooley Krekk.

JediMatteus likes this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    They didn't finish the Legacy comic. [face_shhh]

And in all seriousness, Nelani is exactly the sort of character who shouldn't have been a new character. Because having her be completely new is the epitome of the "tell, not show" storytelling that became rampant in LOTF onwards. "Hey, it's a completely-new character to the readers but who had these really close relationships for years with the characters, just entirely off-page and never mentioned before this one book, and now we're supposed to really feel things when she dies because, remember, she's really close to Jacen!"

If they really needed a female Jedi who was close with Jacen for him to kill in Betrayal for us to feel bad about, they really should have made it Danni Quee. I honestly don't understand why they didn't. It's not like she was being kept alive for anything major. Or anything at all.

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    because Denning put her on a bus because she was a lame scientist Jedi and not a real Jedi

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If you aren't a Jedi or are on Coruscant, you don't matter.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It's not even that, it was part of the refutation of everything in the NJO. At the end of TUF, Luke says being a Jedi isn't just about wielding a lightsaber; that emulating Luke isn't the only path a Jedi can take. In Dark Nest, Luke does some thinking and realizes how he was utterly wrong about everything he ever said during the NJO and says "look, you gotta wear robes and wield a lightsaber or you ain't a Jedi no more, none of this heretical science stuff." So Danni Quee quit being a Jedi and got on a bus to Zonama Sekot, never to be heard from again.

Plus she interfered with Denning shipping Jacen with Tenel Ka the same way that Jag interfered with him shipping Jaina with Zekk; he was only successful in the former though, making Jaina and Jag's romance a tortuously prolonged ordeal as he fought tooth and nail for the latter (plus the Jedi temple thing).

Riv_Shiel, Zeta1127 and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    You wouldn't think TD was such a YJK fan given how many characters from those books he maimed or killed.

Edit: I feel like I should point out I'm not being snide here because lol yjk.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    getting maimed and/or killed just goes with the territory in his books though

he's not discriminate

Unless he's writing 12 books to off a character he doesn't like. But in that case you know that's why.

Vthuil likes this.
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What would happen if you got on a bus to Zonama Sekot and it wasn't there when you arrived?

Like the bus driver's gonna care.

21. TheWheelWeaves

TheWheelWeaves Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2014
    They would have either had to send them into retirement (lame), or kill them off, which 1) I don't think anyone really would have dared to and 2) the manner of their deaths would be outrageously disagreed upon by fans for centuries. I agree with you on that point though. I do not like what happened to the next gen, which ties into my next comment, my beef with LOTF.

I had read a while back, don't remember where, don't remember how accurate it was, but it was totally believable to me, that Lucas had wanted Anakin Solo killed off. I think the reasoning I read was that it'd be too easy to have him fall to the dark side due to his name sake. Then it seems like they mirror Vader's fall in Jacen and I just wonder, why kill off one to avoid it then turn around and do it to another? Felt like a slap in the face to me.

22. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    The ultimate plot in both series was answered. Minor plotlines are abound in any work, like the films. Also I never mentioned FOTJ. Never read it.

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Don't have to retire the Big Three completely, just have them...do something else. Leave them out of the picture while the action focuses on another set of characters. Sorta like how Luke Skywalker didn't feature at all in the X-wing series because he was busy doing who-knows-what.

24. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    They did. The final arc was WAR. It ended on a great note. I'm not concerned with the sequel they put out or the plotlines following minor characters.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Confederation plotline was huge in LOTF. That plot started the whole series. All we know is that the war is over and that Daala of all people is COS because Kre'fey did not want it and Daala somehow was the best choice. Daala, the Imperial nutcase from the Bantam days, in charge of the GA? Explain how that is logical!

Darth Nihl and Talon survived. Not over unless they died in Legacy Vol. 2 issue 18.

ILNP and Riv_Shiel like this.