main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit LOTF Thoughts

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gorfy, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    They didn't finish the comic. They ended it after they were arbitrarily cut off. That's a big difference.

Riv_Shiel and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Maybe he has just come to expect rushed endings after reading Invincible.

3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Nihl and Talon are both easily dispatched by Cade. Neither of them present a lasting threat to the peace that ended the series.
    [​IMG]

4. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Nihl and Talon aren't quite as iconic as Dur Gejjen or White Eyes.

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Man, Tionne, Ikrit, Streen and Cilghal most really be forgettable when even their own master can not remember them.

I can not comment on Roots and 12 years a slave, but I have to disagree on Django Unchained is about slavery. Slavery is an important part of the background and story line but it is not what the movie is about.

Thuro likes this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think the Jedi Order is like the No Homers Club: they're allowed to have one. Cilghal serves her perfunctory function. Ikrit is dead and Streen is on a spacemilk carton. Tionne got her limbs shot off.

I can't wait until we get FOTJ thoughts to talk about Vestara's character arc. I think it's meta in the sense that it's actually a commentary on the fact that the post-NJO refuses to have arcs.

When I read the LOTF series, Tempest was the first time I said "enough." Then when Revelation came out I caught up (because I can't quit Star Wars), but then Revelation was the same thing. Reading people talking about Invincible was enough for me, but then I read it before I read Outcast because the Lost Tribe was such an interesting idea to me because I'm a sucker (I didn't read Outcast until Omen's blurb was released).

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Oh. Wow. Cool. You should start a thread about it. :rolleyes:

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The thing that really stands out for me there is the way it killed every other potential character arc with it.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Continue?

It sort of epitomizes the "creativity" of the post-NJO IMO. JINO was a cart before the horse situation, whereas Vestara was them writing an actual story without having an agenda behind it. And the idea of a person "born bad" (loosely speaking) and becoming good is more "original" to the EU than the inverse which LOTF did: Starkiller is the only character that really comes to mind. I suppose you might say Mara Jade though Zahn backtracked on that with his whitewashing of Thrawn and Mara more recently. And then... they just say "nah" and Vestara has absolutely no growth to show for the eight books I just read with her in it. And I find myself questioning why I read those books. And I'm not really sure how Ben changed from the experience either, but then Ben is sort of a cipher as a character to me because he isn't much of one.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So, I haven't been keeping up with the books post-LOTF...what's up with FOTJ? Did they finish that series before the Disney reset? Anything after FOTJ, and are they still writing new stuff in spite of the reset?

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't know what the 'No Homers Club' is, can you explain.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's only one post-FOTJ book you should read: X-Wing Mercy Kill.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002

[​IMG]

Riv_Shiel, DigitalMessiah and Thuro like this.
  16. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    OK here is my two cents on this topic. I actually did't read LOTF but listened to it on audio books. But the thing was with this series is how I really don't hate the series but never really loved it either. I do find Darth Jacen to be a rather bland sith and not really memorable and the war itself was perhaps one of most forgettable events in star wars for me. FOTJ on the other hand is the series I could truly care less about as it did't feel the least bit memorable. Anyways, while I'm not as hateful towards the series as some, it still did't come across that remarkable either.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Still don't get it

18. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    FOTJ was finished, and Crucible was a post FOTJ book, that is not worth reading though

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've actually read that. It's well-written, but the words that keep coming to mind are "polishing" and "excrement".

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  21. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I actually didn't mind FOTJ. I've read parts of it multiple times (although if I have to slog through allies again somebody) especially Backlash. That was rather well written in my opinion. But as a whole FOTJ was rather unremarkable.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah I view it as an indictment that A) It needs it, and B) It's better than it.

But yeah, I feel like the whole process was fouled up from the initial pitch.

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS SINREBIRTH.

Sable_Hart, Sinrebirth and Vthuil like this.
  23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i liked abyss, and conviction the best... ironic that those are denningverse. :eek:

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Please, call me Sinre ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    While we can all agree that LOTF/FOTJ are both full of sins, the biggest one is just going 'Vergere's a Sith' and it just being went along canonically instead of being assumed that Lumiya's just saying it to Jacen so he follows along. As for the rest, I might've said this before but if they wanted Jacen to go dark, the characters of Darth Caedus and LOTF Daala should've been merged into one 'Jacen Solo' and instead of making a huge war you could've had him do much of what Daala did, but instead for longer. He was already well on his way of establishing himself as his own type of Force User before LOTF screwed it all up, so they could've continued with that and had him first turn on Lumiya after taking all he wanted from her, and then while campaigning for Chief of State (Instead of just doing a coup, since I think Jacen could probably get enough popularity on his own to be elected) have him go out and say that Jedi are equally as dangerous. You could then have Jagged's Empire take this to heart and call the foundation of the Imperial Knights from there.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.