main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ LOTR collectors - heads up....

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by jp-30, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Saw the first FOTK line of figures today (not the mini ones, the "big" suckers).

Blue box. Gollum, on a rock with a button for "My Precioussssssss" sound effect.

$19.95

On further research this appears to be a repackage of the TTT Gollum...

EDIT: At Newmarket Warehouse

2. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    I believe your little brother is already onto this one, but no doubt a part of his burgeoning student debt will be RotK related ;)

3. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    yep, SFL and I found them at toyword moorhouse at the rediculous price of $24.95.

you'll find the Gollum has a different expression than the TTT one, and there is also a 'Smeagol' figure whose face is a different sculpt again.

4. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    lol - and a human sized Treebeard - weird.

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    There's a whole range of smaller figures, smaller than SW ones. Treebeard's not part of that assortment, is it?

6. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    those are the range made by Playalong, the same company that makes the new Care Bears.
    I think the range is called 'Armies of Middle Earth', or something like that.

The whole idea of that range is so you can build 'armies' (funnily enough) but theyre still quite expensive. I guess theyre a cross between the Toybiz figures and the Games Workshop miniatures.

You could probably use the 'mini' treebeard with the playalong figures :p

7. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    lol Cen.

Yea, I have all those mini's too JP. :D

MY GOD. Mum saw the Eowyn figure in blue packet and DIDN'T BUY IT!!!!!!!!

She needs to be better trained. :eek:

and she hasnt got Smeagol or treebeard or gollum, she's slipping. :p

8. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Just got some CDs from amazon.co.uk ... with the package was a brochure with some upcoming DVD titles.

Anyway, there's a picture of the limited boxed set of "The Two Towers". It's released on november 18th in the UK, which is (I'm pretty sure) the same day as the last one came out here. Like last time there's a 4 DVD set which has the same cover design as the last one, but in red rather than black. There's also a limited edition boxed set which comes with a "collectable Gollum statue and bonus insights into the creation of the creature". I guess that means there's a bonus disc of Gollum material.

Think I'll just buy the standard 4 disc version this time ...

9. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah what about that new Gollum.

Looked at the TTT one and the new ROTK one side by side, just a new facial expression and some new sounds.

Exactly the same stance and backdrop...what a rip!

10. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    THANKS STH!!!

Last night I was thinking that very thing. I wonder what statue they will do. I was thinking if they kept with the bookends thing, they could do two towers as book ends or maybe the helms deep statue. But TTT would suit. And for the ROTK they could split the white city in two and have that as book ends - but if this TTT specuial ed. doesnt have book ends the ROTK will surely have something different.

AWESOME!!!

11. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    ok - you may all drool, but please not on my NEW SWORDS!!!

Uruk-Hai Scimintar $130
    [image=http://202.135.231.4/photoserver/49/1679349_full.jpg]

Arwens sword: Hadhafang $315.01
    [image=http://202.135.231.4/photoserver/30/1679330_full.jpg]

Off TradeMe. Both swords come with 9ct gold "One Rings" as featured in the pics and free postage.

I only found the uruk sword and bid on that - then 1hour before the close I found arwens sword by checking sellers other listings - and there was a struggle for about 15-20mins as there was another bidder bidding and it extended a few times. :D

//sigh//

I can't wait till they arrive :p

12. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    They'll be great for chopping off the heads of your Argonath statues ...

oh, wait ...

seriously ... nice. very nice. just make sure you don't injure yourself in some sort of drunken student revelry. (Remember kids, swords don't kill people ... drunk students with swords kill people.)

re: the TT boxed set. it's good (IMHO) that there are no more bookends. I always thought the Argonath set were supposed to be bookends for the entire series. Having just one DVD between them looks a bit silly, but I'm looking forward to having my 3 special editions lined up together. (mmmm ..... 10.5 hour LOTR marathon.)

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    hehehe

Yea- and the guy who's selling the swords e-mailed me and said for $500 he'll throw in the Sting sword with wall plaque also.

$65 for Sting - can't pass that up. hehehe

And yea I agree about the marathon. lol

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > and said for $500 he'll throw in the Sting sword with wall plaque also.

Damn students and their disposible incomes.

// jealous //

15. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    //sheepish grin//

Hardly. I'm gonna have to ask the parents for a loan - or a heavily advanced birthday pressie for NEXT year. lol This B/day (in 3 months) is gonna be full with ROTK LOTR figures and stuff.

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    It's funny ... when I was a student, earning about $100 a week from my part time job, I seemed to have far more money to spend than I do now, working full time.

(sigh).

All I can say to anyone who complains about being a "poor student" ... wait 'til you buy a house! It makes that student loan feel like pocket money.

17. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    It's my theory that humans always have a tendency to live just outside their means, so whatever you earn, it won't seem like enough. Not true for Bill Gates, though, I guess.

There is real poverty among students though ... I've had to buy people lunch in the past, because they couldn't afford it. There's a student foodbank where you can go, but people are often too ashamed ... you have to insist or they won't even let their friends shout them.

18. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I guess my DVD collecting is going to have to stop and focus on saving money again. And eat all the food in my pantry here in my flat before buying more. The end of the semester is only 5 weeks or so - so I'll try eat all there is, before buying more - so to try and save money and not having heaps of food left over (we buy and cook our own food in my flat).

But this will add something to my LOTR Collection, having three swords. My flatmate might buy the second gold ring off me - but I'll see.

19. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I really had been hoping to be laughing and stuff right now, unfortunately I'm not sure if I should cry or go punch a tree.

Got my swords today.

When I calm down later tonight I'll post a description of things. :(

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Firstly, have you saved a copy of all the text on his page? If not, do so immediately. (Click "file" -> "save as" -> probably "html, complete" would be best (It'll take a while, but the photos on the page will save too).

From what mum told me, this guy should give you a full refund. But you'd best verify that the things are indeed fake / bootlegs before letting the accusations fly.

21. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    ok.

Just went to the TradeMe pages of both auctions for the two swords and went:

File > Save as (made a new folder in My Documents and saved them in there)

(took about 5seconds, not very long.)

I have all sent and recieve e-mails and I have the pictures he supplied when auctioning the swords.

I spoke with mum and she sounded really disappointed. I'd rather her yell at me than the sad / upset tone she had - made me feel worse. :(

To fill in those who don't know. My swords and rings arrived today.

They look great... from a distance. Up close the handle is badly grubby and the gold designs (made by a pen by the looks of it) is not engraving - but just painted on. The blade has engraving but the gold "paint" looks as though a 5 year old did it - going over the lines etc. :( The engraving is NOT elvish either. The Uruk hai sword is about half as "deep/wide" as the blade should be and the point at the top is not correct. The leather that is on the handle looks like car interrior - not battle worn leather, like it should be. Sting that was also provided for a further $65 is great, except the handle is poor like Arwen's Sword. The Silver paint (this time) is smudged and looks terrible.

No way could I display these and feel comfotable.

The rings on the other hand are NO WAY 9ct gold. They look like a piece of copper pipe cut to the wide of a ring and then the "engravings" tapped in and then dipped in gold paint. The ring is only JUST round with a fairly obvious dent. (9ct gold is the hardest - not it shouldn't dent). The "engravings are NOT ELVISH". I have an official One Ring and these gold rings look NOTHING like it. The engravings are not even, they go up and down from the top of the ring to trhe bottom, and the inside of the ring is all scuffed.

Very upset.

edit = just checked that thing that I saved the web page. Not sure if it worked - it brought the page up etc - but I'm printing the pages off to be sure. :p

22. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    jeeze there are some dodgy people out there ... real sorry you got "done" SFL. How did you pay for the items, and have you had any contact with the seller?

Hope you can get this sorted ....

23. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    hey, thanks for the concern. I've e-mailed the seller last night, but havn't had a reply yet. i'll give him a few more days - then mum was saying stuff about Fair Go - lol. Not sure about that.

Yea - I hope this gets sorted too - I have all contact details and descriptions about the goods - the rings are no way 9ct - buti'm taking them into a store like pascoes to get it varified. So I'll have that to come back with. etc

:(

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    If the guy doesn't reply in a decent amount of time, then you contact the auction site.

Though I bet they have disclaimers that mean they don't legally have to do anything, but they also should have a place to lodge complaints.

Are the photos you posted before photos of the actual goods? And can you post a link to his auction page?

25. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    did you pay with a credit card or a cheque, 'cause if you did you can probably stop the payment. There might be a small fee to do this, but it'll be a hell of a lot less that $500.

Did the seller state that there were "official" in any way? As JP said, post the link to the auction page if you can. i'd be interested to read his descriptions.

Personally I've never bought anything from TradeMe, but have made about 50 transactions via eBay and have never had any trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.