main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW LOTR discussion thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Dagsy, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptJono

CaptJono Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2001
    Did anyone see the articles in today's Sun-Herald 'Metro' section? What do you think? It is interesting looking at the characters and who they cast to play them...I think that (at least from the photo in the
    paper) that they could have done better then Cate Blanchett as Galadriel. I will reserve my judgement on Elijah Wood until I see the movie. Gimli looks perfect in my mind!!! And Liv Tyler looks beautiful
    as Arwen...
    Any other thoughts???

2. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    i'm a gonna enter that competition..plus Ch9 has one as well...

i was a bit worried about Rhys-Davies as gimli, because he is pretty old, but i guess you cant really tell that.

other than that, it all looks good. not worried about Cate at all.

heh, i actually thought that it would be good if chris lee was gandalf, and mckellen was saruman, but what are you going to do?

3. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Funny, isn't it? Last I heard, Jackson was so appalled by Tyler's acting that he cut all of her scenes. Now if you didn't know better you'd think she was the star...

I've nae read LOTR yet, even though I have had a paperback of LOTR and a hardcover of FOTR for a few years now. But the previews have got me more excited than Big Kev, so I've started reading FOTR again, and well, its amazing how much I missed the first time. And even more amazing how much it helps when you actually read the prologue ...

eg, I somehow missed the part where Bilbo gives all the presents away. I don't think I was really paying attention the first time ...

Just thought I'd mention it.

4. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    yeah, i have started reading it again...i think DA said something about the amount of things you miss unless you read it again, so i am doing that...and it is absolutely true.

but it does look like arwen is some huge part in the movie(s).

lets hope her role is kept as small as possible...geez, i can just see her joining the fellowship. BAD.

5. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    She doesn't join the fellowship (at least not in this movie). Look at the scene where they're walking over Caradhras.

And Christoper Lee was going to play Gandalf, but it was too strenuous for him, so he chose Saruman instead. (He's a huge LotR fan too).

6. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    I found a list of the movie changes and their probability. Go here.

7. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    you must be really popular, Sil, because everyone seems to be following that link...its too busy for me to access.

8. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    *smiles secretively*

I hold in my hand a very precious piece of paper ... [face_mischief]

9. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Star Wars Quote of the Day toilet paper?!?!?

10. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    heh, she doesnt know whats in my hand either...

anyway, has anyone seen the rings that are in the channel 9 competition?

does anyone know where to buy them? I MUST HAVE

11. Sith-Gecko

Jun 26, 2001
    Actually it's an invitation to the Australian LOTR premiere ...

12. CaptJono

CaptJono Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2001
    A friend of mine just lent me a copy of the David Day 'A Tolkien Bestiary'. As I was looking through it I came to the section on hobbits...it reminded me of something that I had forgotten about hobbits...they are meant to be quite tubby. From the pictures that I have seen, E. Wood and Co. don't look that way at all???
    Just out of interest, does anyone know of any other good Tolkien Bestiaries?

13. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    yup, they are supposed to be chunky little buggers...although those involved in LotR lost a fair bit of weight.

given that my copy of LotR is about to go off with the fairies (actually, my girlfriend), i have just bought a copy of the silmarillion to read...

14. Kalor_Voe

Kalor_Voe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2000
    I managed to get Geck to talk about the REAL changes in FOTR and posted them here.

And if you think that's funny, check out what people said below it.

15. Sith-Gecko

Jun 26, 2001
    [face_laugh]

You know, the fact that ppl took that so seriously is even funnier than the "alterations" ... oh, geez some ppl are stupid!

16. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

For those interested, Australian PC User magazine has a special FOTR feature on their cover cd-rom this month.

Has tons of photos (basically just the ones from the site, but still good nonetheless) with descriptions, a full screen hi-res version of the full FOTR trailer, an interview with someone at WETA, an official screensaver and a wallpaper.

17. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I've finally made it to this thread, so you know what that means! I finished reading LOTR! :D

It was pretty good, and like everyone else there were things I didn't like, Pippin "dying" for one thing. But what I can't wait for is to see how they go about translating this thing to the big screen. Of course Geck will gloat and say "I know how" (you lucky thing you!), the rest of us are pretty much using our imagination in picturing what it'll be like. And in my mind it all looks good. :)

I was also concerned that the violence will be toned down to serve the younger audience. But after having spoken to a certain someone (not Gecko), it seems the beheadings we read about in ROTK have actually been filmed. Whether or not they'll be in the finished movie remains to be seen (in 2003!).

And they hypes begun peoples! Saw the flood of ads and competitions on CH9 tonight, and I've seen the trailer stacks of times at the movies, also seen posters on bus shelters. Not long now...

18. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    hasnt it already started in the UK? wasnt the premiere there on the 10th??

man, this'll keep me going until may...

19. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Another thing that bothered me about LOTR was the Battle of Bywater. I found it to be an anit-climax, compared to the gigantic battle and the destruction of the One Ring it was a pissy little fight. Sure it concluded the demise of Saruman, but we got the biggest bang 2/3 the way through the book, and the rest just didn't seem as important.

20. CaptJono

CaptJono Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2001
    I know what you mean ki...the ring is destroyed and it's like - well...is that it!? Surely not! Though it was kinda kewl that it was gollum who eventually took the ring to it's destruction!
    oh well...at least there are two great fighting scenes!

Is the silmarillion good DD??? I'm just about to start reading it once I've finished the C.S. Lewis book I'm on now!

21. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    i'll tell you when i read it, Jono...i am rereading FotR at the moment. i will prob be starting the silmarillion within a week.

i hope it clears up one thing...why must the three lose power when the one is destroyed? they existed before the one. they had power before the one. why is it that when the one (created to artifically rule the three) is destroyed, the other lose power? it seems to me, that there isnt a real reason for it.

22. Kalor_Voe

Jul 10, 2000
    I've made three attempts at the Silmarillion. Still can't do it.

Which CS Lewis book are you reading? One of the narnia books? Screwtape? Great Divorce?

23. CaptJono

CaptJono Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2001
    I'm reading 'That Hideous Strength' at the moment and have just recently finished all the 'Chronicles of Narnia' (1st time as an adult). The Narnia books are awsome...you understand so much more as an adult reading them!

24. Kalor_Voe

Jul 10, 2000
    Amen. I'm dreading the inevitable hollywood mangling of it. They own the film rights, and when their "me too" attitude mixes with LotR it'll be the first place they turn :(

25. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

I'm reading FOTR (first time) and it's amazing how close Jackson's LOTR resembles the illustrations for LOTR by Alan Lee (?) in the books. The illustration of Frodo, Sam & Pippin sitting with the elves around the campfire looks pretty close to how they look in the film - even the hairstyles.

Whether or not this is a good thing or not is another thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.