main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LOTR DVD = 4.5 Hours

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by wild_karrde, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Jorus_Kando, please allow the `wiseman' to say that the OT DVDs may yet show SE and original cuts. :)

2. Arsenal1234

Arsenal1234 Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    I really don't see Lucas having love for the original cut of the OT. He just doesn't like 'em. Unless maybe he wants to respect the work of Dennis Muren et.al for posterity.

"August? Why so frightfully long?? "

Silly. Remember, video releases used to take a year or more. It's a marketing thing. They want to milk the theater release, and give us some time. Also, I'm sure they don't want to flood the market with hobbits.

If this means that I get to see more of Lurtz the Almighty, then

Bring. It. On.

3. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    "Once again Jackson is showing Lucas how it's suppose to be done"

Eh. Jackson may have had the better movie between the two in the past few years, but Fellowship is by no means as tremendous a film making feat as Star Wars was.

As for the DVDs, I'll believe it when I see it.

4. Sebastian_Updike

Sebastian_Updike Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2002

Well, in America, Planet of the Apes was released in August and it was on video in November, an amazingly brief time really.

5. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Jorus_Kando, please allow the `wiseman' to say that the OT DVDs may yet show SE and original cuts. :)

Man, I really hope so.

6. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    More of a wiseguy really, but still. ;)

7. Arsenal1234

Aug 4, 2001
    Well, considering that Jackson still has two movies to direct/edit, and now has to re-edit Fellowship, it may take a little time. :p There may also be effects shots involved.

Remember, Jackson did different versions of many scenes (as confirmed by Lawrence Makoarke in his interview on TORN), so we may be looking at a totally different movie. If the cut of the movie is that long, maybe different takes will be used that include subplots such as Sam's anxiety over not bringing rope, or further exposition during the Council of Elrond.

For those who've read the books, this also means that we have a good chance of seeing the Scouring of the Shire (and all that implies about certain villains ;)) on the ROTK DVD edition, if not in the theatrical release.

8. Jorus_Kando

Nov 9, 2001
    For those who've read the books, this also means that we have a good chance of seeing the Scouring of the Shire (and all that implies about certain villains ) on the ROTK DVD edition, if not in the theatrical release.

:D

9. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    That's it, Im going to buy a DVD drive right now.

10. Arun Dale

Arun Dale Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 21, 1999
    When i said ..

Once again jackson is showing Lucas how it's done

I was refering to our George's dubious take on marketing..I am saddened by his mean ways of releasing film's..deleting them and then releaseing them again..

You harper on defending him..but the cruel truth is..he's ripping us off..

Jackson has made it plain..that they will be no wait for the final trilogy boxset..that will include everything but the kitchen sink..he is releasing it in 7 months full to the brim with features..

Oh we have the TPM DVD you say..well we have.. and a fine disc it is...( apart from the film itself )..but how much crap from fans did he take to release it.?.and mark my words you'll be buying that DVD again before the decade is out..because he'll release another one with even more stuff on it..knowing to well that you will not be able to resist..

And before you start having a go at me..ask yourself this.....where is the OT on DVD...is he waiting till the prequals are complete so we'll have to fork out for the whole six?

Or we are we going to splash out over the next 20 years for countless repackaged, remastered, special editions before we get the final finished story of the skywalkers?

C'mon George lets see some kindness in your old age..

Let's have ANH, ESB and ROTJ released on DVD before this year is out

11. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Prays for a April release date....OR MAYBE MAY....JUNE......JULY at the most...PLEASE GOD!

12. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    YEAH BABY.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Sorry kids;

Crazy Lord of the Rings Rumors

There are some crazy rumors floating around about 2002's biggest DVD, and just about none of them are true?
    by Jeremy Conrad
    2002-01-15

As bad as Alien 3 was, it did give us one great movie line: "This is rumor control; here are the facts." That line springs to mind tonight as rumors about the Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring DVD are spreading like wildfire, with almost all of them being totally false.

The first one springs from a reported bit of news that allegedly came from CNN. It states that the DVD will be over 4 ½ hours long. I find that difficult to believe. When the film premiered down in New Zealand the filmmakers did a series of interviews, and they gave up quite a bit of information about the DVD was revealed. Aussie movie site Dark Horizons was one of many sites who picked up on the press interviews back in December.

During the interviews, it was revealed that the rough cut of The Fellowship of the Ring was about three and a half hours long as opposed to the final running time of 2:58. That leaves thirty to forty minutes of additional footage that will be included as additional scenes on the DVD, not an hour and a half.

The other big rumor that sprung up tonight states that the entire Old Forest sequence including Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wrights would be included on the DVD. Sorry, but again that isn't happening.

The 30 to 40 minutes of footage that was cut from the film includes more character building within the fellowship (most likely between Legolas and Gimli), the scenes of the fellowship each receiving their gifts in Lothlorien (you can see them receiving the elven cloaks in the trailers), as well as the scene of Gimli dropping to his knees in awe of Galadriel.

Finally two other rumors popped up tonight, and I wager they probably stewed in some chat room before being reported on the 'net. Each one places the Fellowship of the Ring DVD release in April or May of this year. Sorry, try again.

Despite the fact that Rolf Mittweg, president for worldwide distribution and marketing at New Line, stated August 2002 as the VHS/DVD release, the film will also still be in theaters come April. Around March or April (no specific date has been given yet), New Line plans to replace the final reel of the film with a new one that includes a trailer for The Two Towers after the end credits.

14. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    [face_shocked] Still in theaters in April!? AWESOME!! :D

15. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    That article doesn't have much impact on me. We know that Bombadil and the Old Forest weren't filmed, so they'd never include them in a DVD release.

But, I am happy to hear we get the full rough cut (or director's cut) of the film! Can't wait till August!

16. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    I could care less about Bombadil.But did they film any singing? It should be a crime not to have those beautiful songs in the film!

17. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Amen Arun Dale, the man tells it how it is.

18. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Gandalf and Bilbo both sing in the film. Maybe others as well, I can't remember.

19. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    The Lament for Gandalf sung by the Elves is in the film. :)

20. Jorus_Kando

Nov 9, 2001
    "The Bridge of Kahad-Dûm" contains singing in dwarvish, or so I'm told.

21. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Wow! That is absolutely amazing. I just saw LOTR's again and I can't wait till it eventually gets on DVD. The scenes sound great. If the movie is that long, they'll probably have to put it on two discs, with a third disc for the special features.

Another sequence I can imagine being in this new cut of the film is where Galadriel gives the Fellowship all gifts. This scene is in the trailer and I would expect to see it in a director's cut. Also the scene with her on the swan.

LOTR's rules! :D

22. Arsenal1234

Aug 4, 2001
    The first one springs from a reported bit of news that allegedly came from CNN. It states that the DVD will be over 4 ½ hours long. I find that difficult to believe. When the film premiered down in New Zealand the filmmakers did a series of interviews, and they gave up quite a bit of information about the DVD was revealed. Aussie movie site Dark Horizons was one of many sites who picked up on the press interviews back in December.

During the interviews, it was revealed that the rough cut of The Fellowship of the Ring was about three and a half hours long as opposed to the final running time of 2:58. That leaves thirty to forty minutes of additional footage that will be included as additional scenes on the DVD, not an hour and a half.

Several actors have mentioned that the director's cut is around 4.5 hours. There are probably several "director's cuts" of the movie. One way or another, I'm just happy to see a director's cut, AKA Fellowship Redux. :D

The other big rumor that sprung up tonight states that the entire Old Forest sequence including Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wrights would be included on the DVD. Sorry, but again that isn't happening.

Amen. Tolkien fans need to stopping dreaming. Live in the now!

The film will also still be in theaters come April.

They keep saying that, but I've very skeptical. This movie doesn't have Titanic legs.

23. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Wooooohooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

24. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Then let's give it Titanic legs, and then some!

25. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I thought the movie was a bit bloated to begin with, but I'll give a longer cut a shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.