main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LOTR @ Films on the Rocks

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by PtrsonsZOO, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    I need to find out if they will let me drive up to the stage level :) Or at least let someone drive me up there. :D

2. Valanaryn

Valanaryn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2003
    I will go if I can find a ride to get there

3. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Oh yeah, and I'd be coming late (no bands for me, just the movie), since I need to spend at least an hour at the shelter (the kids anticipate my being there all week).

4. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Is it still a go?

And where shall we meet?

5. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Still a go. Front gate I guess. I'm picking up Mistress from work, she gets off after 6pm, then to Arvada to pick up another friend, then to the movies.
    I didn't do a thing to my costume, I'm so bummed. I'm working on the camping suprize & it's taking way to much planning & way too many stores to get it done. I have inlisted the help of Mistress to get it finished on time.

6. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    You should specify which front gate.... The one off of 285 or the one from I-70?

I'll give you guys a call when I get close, so you can tell me where you are... I'll be arriving late. :( And try to sit on the same level as the stairs :D Help a gimp out please :)

7. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm totally not familiar with Red Rocks. Could you please give a bit more description on where I'm suppose to meet people? Also, what time would you estimate, given picking up Mistress at 6pm and then going by Arvada?

8. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    My suggestion is to meet at the entrance that sits off of I-70 (also from the Morrison Road if you take C-740 - and turn on the first road once you get into Morrison), but I will be meeting you at the Amphitheatre itself, since I will be arriving sometime around dusk.

9. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm looking at a map now, trying to make sure I know which entrance you're refering to. Are we talking about getting off of I-70 at the Colfax exit, going south on 26 (Mt Vernon Rd?), and then turning right onto W Alemeda Parkway? This road looks like it goes into the park, and seems to be the closest to I-70.

Looking at http://www.redrocksonline.com/09_maps/09_maps.html and at the road map there, they list various entrances. The one closest to I-70 looks to be #1, the Visitor's Center entrance. It's labeled as being right at the intersection of hwy 93 and Alameda. Is that where we're meeting, or is it farther in along Alameda? Is there a place to stop and get out of the car to meet right there? It looks like all the parking lots are farther in. :confused:

Dang, I could have bought my ticket for only $7 last night at King Soopers? Drats. But oooh! If we're one of the first 100 people through the gate, we get a mini crystal ball in a suede bag!

The first musical act (Soul Thieves) starts at 6pm. Is anyone aiming for that? Or just for the second act (The Witching Hour) at 7pm?

Oh, and just a reminder - umbrellas and rain ponchos would be a good idea. I don't know if they're predicting rain tonight, but it was a little wet out here last night.

10. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Just to make sure we have all the details here... who all is planning to meet for this? It sounds like Cyodarun, SC/Mistress and I for earlier (?) and then Zoo coming for the movie and meeting us inside?

Hm. I wonder if we should bring towels to put on the seats, in case they're wet?

11. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    I have no idea where to meet, I've never been there before. I'm briging umbrella for sure. I want to be one of the first 100 people, but I know I won't :(
    Alison, you are coming in costume, right?

12. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I-70 to the Morrison Exit (Yes there is one, I swear)

or

C-470 to Morrison Road and make the first right turn past Bandimere (It's 93, but there are no signs, and it's more of a veer to the right than an actual turn)

13. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Of course I'm coming in costume!! Are you kidding? ;) My only worry is getting it wet, but that just means I'll have to be careful.

I've been thinking... since it sounds so far like I'll be the first one there by quite a bit (if SC and Mistress don't get there till 7:30)... should I go ahead and go in and attempt to save us seats? But since we're talking about something on the order of 5 people plus myself, will they let me save that many seats?

Zoo, I'm clueless about what the setup is. What do you mean by seats by the stairs? I'm sort of picturing stairs that go all the way up and down an amplitheater. :confused:

SC mentioned something about it perhaps taking half an hour to walk in...? [face_surprised] Er, could someone give a description of just what we're looking at for going here? Do we walk in from the entrance? From a parking lot? Over what sort of terrain? How long does it take? When they say "the gate", what do they mean? An entrance way at the edge of the park? Something at the entrance to the amplitheater? Sorry, I just worry about not knowing what to prepare for.

Cyodarun, are you still planning to come? Anyone else?

14. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Sorry my computer is packed.

I am still in, Lisa as well if she does not have to work. I have to run up to Idledale and take care of the critters, I hope to be there by 7:00, but it depends on how smoothly everything goes!

Allison, bring a big blanket and spread it out, you can save as many seats as you want. I will do the same. See ya tonite!

15. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Set up:

You drive into the park, to a parking lot, which may or may not be close to the actual amphitheatre. Walk up a hill (no matter which lot you go in, except the handicap lot), then you walk up or down some stairs ot get into the Amphitheatre Bowl itself. Midway through the bowl is the main stairwell (where I imagine everyone will be filtered through). So, as long as I don't have to climb up or down too many stairs to get to our seats (which are nothing more than wooden bleachers attached to the concrete steps) I'll be a happy camper.

Bring blankets or something cushy to sit on... The seats are not comfortable in any way :( I have a couple of ponchos and an umbrella. And a cushion for my comfort :p

16. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003

Ah. Okay, I was picturing actually seats, but it's more like bench seating, it sounds like.

If I go in early (before 7pm, hopefully) to get us seats, is it reasonable to hope that people will be able to find me? (Even though I'm cellphone-less?) If so, I might do that, and try to get seats about halfway up, near that main stair entrance. So, we're talking 7 of us? If I bring a towel and a blanket, that should be enough to claim bench-space for us.

17. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    That should do it.... And if you bring your lightsaber, you could fight people for better seating ;)

18. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Alison, here is a decent pic of Red Rocks Amphitheatre that gives a pretty decent view of the stage from approx. the bottom third of the bench-seating. I would recommend seating cushions for All in attendance, as the wooden benches will make you numb very quickly. Given today's weather conditions thus far, I would also suggest parkas/umbrellas,etc, since the foothills seem to catch weather even if the rest of the city doesn't. Have fun tonight, gang. Wish I could be there.

19. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Cushions. Huh. Maybe I can bring an old pillow to sit on...

Parkas?? It's not going to get *that* cold, is it? Or did you mean ponchos?

Unfortunately, the link for the picture seems to be down at the moment. Thanks for the info though - hopefully I can get it later today, if the site comes back up.

So, I guess I'll go ahead and go in early. Hopefully you all can find me!

20. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Got the picture to work. Thanks, SS! :)

So, now that I have a better concept of what this place looks like... it seems like the benches go all the way across, without an access path going down the center. It looks like the only paths up and down are along the edges?

I'll try to get seats as close to midway up by the stairs as I can, but centrally located across the bowl, ie having to walk past a bunch of people to get to our seats. Is this okay with people?

21. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    That's cool... There's lots of walking room :D

22. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    FYI-For the Newbies :D

How do I get to Red Rocks Amphitheatre?
    Red Rocks Amphitheatre is located in Red Rocks Park near Morrison, Colorado, 15 miles west of Denver. Coming from Downtown, take I-70 west to exit 259, turn left at the bottom of the Morrison exit ramp, cruise on downhill 1.5 miles to the Red Rocks Park entrance. Coming from south Denver, take C-470 to the Morrison exit, turn west and follow the signs to the Park entrances.

[b]Permitted Items[/b]

? Non-alcoholic beverages in factory sealed plastic containers
    ? Empty soft-sided water bottles
    ? Coolers 12? x 17? x 12? and smaller (must fit under designated seat)
    ? Cloth bags, soft packs 12? x 17? x 12? (must fit under designated seat)
    ? Food (fruit, vegetables must be sliced)
    ? Binoculars
    ? Seat cushions/soft side seat backs under 18? wide (no items with legs permitted)
    ? Umbrellas (please use as small as possible and without points)
    ? All personal possessions must fit under the patron?s designated seat

[hr]

[b]Prohibited Items[/b]

? Non Factory-sealed beverage/liquid filled containers (including thermoses, bota bags or wine skins)
    ? Alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs
    ? Glass bottles or aluminum/steel cans
    ? Laser pointers (will be confiscated & patron subject to ejection)
    ? Coolers larger than 12? x 17? x 12?
    ? Bags or soft packs larger than 12? x 16? x 12?
    ? Recording devices (audio, video, or cameras as restricted by show)
    ? Weapons or items construed as weapons (e.g., guns, knives, sticks, fireworks)
    ? Bullhorns or noisemakers
    ? Framed backpacks
    ? Confetti
    ? Animals (except guide dogs)
    ? Skateboards or inline skates
    ? Personal property that is a potential hazard to others (e.g., chains, wallet chains or jewelry with spiked edges)

For your safety and the safety of others, guests and their possessions are subject to inspection as condition of admittance.

23. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    I think you have a great plan Alison, thanks so much for taking care of us :D
    I can drive fast if people don't get in my way, so I will be there as fast as I can.

24. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Alison,

Yes, Ponchos as opposed to Parkas.

I guess I just like the sound of "parkas" better than "ponchos". I wouldn't be too concerned with a drastic temp drop, but the precipitation factor could definitely come into play.

25. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm printing the map now and am out the door is a sec...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.