main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto LOTR: FOTR 4 disc DVD - Final Specs

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Adam-the-Indifferent, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimjedi

slimjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2002
    That?s pretty damn expensive for the gift set.

2. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I've seen Canadian online retailers having it for around $73.00 to $80

But it does come out the same day at Ep 2 and Southpark:the complete first season! Busy busy day!

3. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

Its worth the price :)

4. phalstar

phalstar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    So, does that mean the Canadian version has the separate sound effects and music tracks stripped for french? :-(

5. slimjedi

Aug 15, 2002
    Stupid French

6. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I find a good guide for Canadian prices for DVDs are to check the U.S msrp. Say the list price for the LOTR 4 disc set is $70 US and $100 Cdn. The US retail price would probably be around $45-55, and the Canadian price would be around $70. It's worked for quite a few other movies. From the official Star Wars site:

"The Attack of the Clones DVD will retail for $29.98 ($41.98 in Canada), "

It's about 27$cdn.

Just thought that might be helpful for those looking at msrp prices.

Thanks, Darth_Surly, for settling the date on the 4-disc. Still unsure if I'm going to be getting the US or Canadian version.

Edit: CRUD!!

From thedigitalbits.com:

"We've heard back from New Line on those 5.1 isolated music and sound effects tracks. It's confirmed that they will not be on the disc, contradicting the information they sent us a few days ago. Apparently, they were to have been included originally, but they eventually had to be dropped for disc space. The disc spec information we were sent simply hadn't been updated. Hopefully, that explains the mix-up. The main concern we have is that the DVDs feature the highest video and audio bit-rates possible to maintain quality. All other extras are secondary to the presentation quality of the film in our minds. So while it's disappointing that the isolated tracks will not be included, it's entirely understandable."

It's understandable and I don't fault them for wanting the best sound and picture, which is the most important aspect of a DVD, it's disappointing that we can't have it all...looks, like I'll be getting the Canadian version.

7. Darth_Surly

Darth_Surly Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    Glad to be of service, Adam!

So are most of you all buying the bookend set, the 4-disk, or not updating because you have the original set from August?

8. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Hmm, Due South first season October 29th or about November 15th depending on who you ask, Babylon 5 first season November 5th, LotR Gift Set and AotC November 12th. A busy and expensive time.

Surly, don't suppose you have any idea on the Due South DVD?

9. slimjedi

Aug 15, 2002
    I'm getting the book set the gift set is too expensive plus I have to buy AOTC on the same day.

10. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Whoa.. whoa....

B5 Season 1 set???

OK, thats a definite for me.. I didn't like the one or 2 eps per disc format they were doing.. this is much better. Any sources for info?

11. Darth_Surly

May 10, 2002
    B5 - 5 Nov suggested retail $117.40 (strange price!) 6 disk set

- digital widescreen transfers (16x9, 1.77:1)
    - soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
    - intro and commentary on 2 key episodes by series creator J. Michael Straczynski
    - Documentaries: the making of B5, Back to B5, The World of B5

I'll look up Due South for you guys.

Buffy S3 January!

12. Darth_Surly

May 10, 2002
    As far as I can tell, Due South is still 29 Oct.

Do you need specs, David? It's 3 disks - $99.95 SRP. All 22 episodes of season 1, full frame. French & English language tracks and English subtitles. That's it.

Since we're on the subject of Canadian TV shows, The Newsroom DVD is 26 November. Some cool extras - commentary by Ken Finkleman over 2 episodes, behind-the-scenes documentary, some other misc stuff. 2 disks

13. Jedi_Sheridan

Jedi_Sheridan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2001
    My aunt who works for Canadian and internation distribution for Alliance Atlantis says that the price will be somewhere between 100 - 120 dollars canadian for the new edition. I don't know what the stores are charging though.

14. TheGrandePoobah

Nov 30, 2000
    Woofer: I don't know what you were smoking when you got your idea about 2 episode discs, but every time I've seen a reference to it it's been Season box sets.

Surly: thanks for all the details. I hadn't heard about The Newsroom... cool, but not one that I'll be buying.

15. phalstar

phalstar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    You're so cool JWCat... an insider full of info!

If anyone needs info on ExpressVu's packages or our Residential Service Agreement, just ask ;) hehe.

It's a shame the sound effect or music tracks won't be on, I was sooo looking forward to the music track, but oh well. It's such a great movie, and this looks like such a great set, it doesn't matter :D

16. Darth_Surly

May 10, 2002
    That's the spirit, Glen!

Thanks for the kind words. Until my contract expires, I'll do my best to get you guys info you need. The more the DVD market expands, the better my job is! :)

17. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    Weren't the VHS releases for B5 in two per sets, or something of that nature? I haven't followed the releases of B5 so I may be getting confused with the DVD release of Star Trek.

18. slimjedi

Aug 15, 2002
    Is LOTR EE Wild screen or full screen?

19. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    Futureshop's prices:

LOTR: FOTR 4 disc DVD - $39.99
    LOTR: FOTR 4 disc + National Geographic: Behind the Movie - LOTR + Bookends = $79.99

For those near Best Buy, I would take a look at their pricing.

They are underselling Futureshop on some titles [Bond set (by $10), ET 3 Disc (by $5)]

*wonders if an extra disc and bookends is worth $40 more*

20. Darth_Surly

May 10, 2002
    That's funny - in a ha ha way - Best Buy owns Future Shop.

21. TheGrandePoobah

Nov 30, 2000
    Yeah, it is. I was in one of the Best Buy's the other weekend when I was in Toronto and I noticed that they had the same or better prices on DVDs in general... saw many where their price was about $3 less, new and older stuff. Now if they'll just open one in Ottawa...

Adam, I'm not sure about the B5 VHS, as I don't follow VHS at all, but that's never been indicitive of the DVD stats anyway.

22. slimjedi

Aug 15, 2002
    So which store is cheaper Best Buy or Future Shop?

23. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    The flyer I saw for Best Buy didn't list the prices for the FOTR DVDs.

I was just saying to be aware of the fact that they are underselling Futureshop, so you may find a better deal their upon release.

Not a bad way to get people into your new store, undersell your closest competition...yourself. Ah, isn't capitalism greeeeeaaaatt!!

24. slimjedi

Aug 15, 2002
    Where is Best buy any way?

25. slimjedi

Aug 15, 2002
    Any one know where is Best Buy is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.