LOTR-FOTR - NOW DISCUSSING Chapter 28: Gilraen's Memorial*

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    CBC (Chapter by Chapter) has come to the SFF-Film and Television forums. This discussion series has already tackled several magnificent films in the past year and a half including all six Star Wars films.

For those not familiar with these discussions, please visit any current ROTJ discussion in the CT forums or ROTS discussion in the PT forums.

I give great pleasure in starting The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Special Extended Edition chapter discussions.

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000067DNF.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

Note:
    * New Scene from Theatrical Edition
    ** Extended Scene from Theatrical Edition
  2. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Due to the success of the PT and CT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss LOTR: FOTR (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition) chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 46 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 47: Credits and Chapter 48: Official Fan Club Credits*

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 1: Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them...**
    DISCUSSION: March 12, 2006 - March 16, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 0:00 - 7:33

Synopsis:
    The Elf Queen Galadriel speaks of how the world has changed and how noticeable it is to her. The Earth, water and air have changed. She says that it began with the forging of the rings. Three to the elves, seven to the dwarves and nine to the race of men were created. But then they were all deceived when the Dark Lord Sauron created in secret a master ring to rule all others. The free-lands of Middle-earth fell to the ring. Until on the plain of Dagorlad, an army of men and elves marched on Mordor against an army of Orcs. This army was led by Elrond of Rivendell. The battle raged on until Sauron with his mace entered and wiped out every enemy fighting against him. Elendil fought Sauron but was thrown by the Dark Lord. At this moment, his son Isildur took the sword. Sauron broke it in half, but Isildur cut off his ring finger. Sauron was defeated. Isildur took the ring through the Gladden Fields. His men were ambushed by Orcs. He fled to the water, but the ring slipped off his finger and he now noticeable shot by Orcs. The ring passed out of knowledge until ages later it was found by another. This was Gollum, who took it as his precious. Taking it into the Misty Mountains, Gollum remained there with a poisoned mind after five hundred years. The ring betrayed Gollum and was found in the cave by a Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins of the Shire. Moving away from the Misty Mountains, the world return to map form. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    We start the LOTR discussion and what better way to start it than what causes this entire saga in the first place. The first seven minutes are essentially a prologue. I have watched the extended edition's documentaries and the studio wanted a two minute prologue or even one with a Frodo narration. This works magnificently.

The Galadriel voiceover is a nice soothing yet brooding beginning and takes us into the first shot, which is the forging of the great rings. Ironic that this series is called Lord of the Rings and the first thing we see is a ring. I love montage of the elves, dwarves, men and Sauron. When I saw this back in 01, I will admit that seeing the Nazgul just as men did put this fear. The lighting makes it seem that these will not sustain the role of honorable men. There is corruption, especially with the Witch King himself.

The Dagorlad battle is the first time we see Massive at work and is it done well. Great cinematography. The entrance of Sauron and his swinging of the mace is a powerful moment, especially when Elendil faces his fate and Isildur picks up the sword and destroys Sauron. Seeing Sauron's helmet drop to the ground of Mordor is magnificently shot. The ambush in the Gladden Fields is also superb. You can see Isildur's paying the price with his pride as he wears the One Ring openly. The extended scene here is the ring slipping away underwater and I think it works better than Isildur just floating there. Truly shows that the Ring has a mind of its own.

The Gollum and Bilbo sequence was just as I imagined it in the book. After seeing TTT and ROTK, I think they can render Gollum again. And I think that they show enough to save Gollum's true identity for the next two films. Ian Holm as the younger Bilbo is believable, though he is supposed to age 60 years in the following chapter. He doesn't, which explains one of powers of the ring. I wonder what they'll do for the Hobbit for this sequence if it ever gets made. Magnificent opening.
  3. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
  4. JamesBatista Jedi Knight

star 1
    A real tour-de-force. EXCELLENT intro to an excellent fantasy trilogy. From the narration to the appearances by Gollum and Bilbo... wow. Amazing.

I will confess--it was quite a long time before I got around to the LOTR films. I admit that I'm much more sci-fi than fantasy, and that I wasn't particulary interested by what I saw of FOTR or TTT. It wasn't until a few months before ROTK that I finally jumped on ship, as I rented the first two films... and was completely blown away from the start.
  5. LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    In my opinion there is no greater fantasy story that Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson's trilogy is true to the spirit of Tolkien's work, despite the differences.

I really enjoyed the intro to the movies. When I first saw FOTR in theatres it was my first introduction to the trilogy. It brilliantly captures you and drags you right into the story. I loved the part with Bilbo and Gollum also, it was great to see that scene from The Hobbit. As for the extended edition it is even more amazing!
  6. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    alrighty i've been waiting for something like this to come about. i'd have to say this was a great opening for the start of the trilogy. the music is really good with it. quick question about this new set of CBC Discussions. will it be held in one thread or will a new thread be started for each chapter like the star wars movies?
  7. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Whatever the SFF mods say. I personally would like a thread per chapter, but I don't want SFF turning into the CBC forum where down the page you see this overtaking the threads on the first page. Hopefully by friday's discussion a mutual decision will be made. :)

I totally love the shot of the elves getting the rings. Galadriel's hair whipping around as she's gazing into Nenya. I forget who the other two are but I know that Gandalf and Elrond get their rings.

8. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Great introduction indeed. Galadriel's speech is perfect and Cate Blanchet delivers it wonderfully. Love the intonation on "It abandonded Gollum." and "It betrayed Isildur - to his death." Good way to introduce the concept of the Ring being somewhat conscious. ("It wants to be found")

Nice detail: The shrinking of the Ring in Isildur's hand.

The other good thing about the prologue is that it tells of the Ring, everything else just happens around it. I like that especially since I think TTT lost quite a bit of focus when it comes to the Ring. But FotR is all about the Ring, as it should be, and the prologue sets this up quite nicely.

It's one of many reasons why FotR is my favorite.
  9. DarthPhelps Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I love the prologue as well ? it?s one of my favorite pieces of Fellowship. The story is so epic in scope, that mere mention of some of the history & back story wouldn?t be enough. There?s so much to gush about, but I?ll confess that I really, really love that battle on Mordor, with the Elves & Men fighting Sauron?s army. It's freakin' huge, and the setting at Mt. Doom was cool.

A couple of the nice, little touches that I enjoyed were:
    1) the way Elrond?s hair flew due to the bevy of arrows wizzing by
    2) the deep bass sound accompanying Sauron?s destruction (seeming ;) ). Unfortunately I can?t really appreciate this at home since I don?t have a decent home theater, but it was something I enjoyed in the theater.

10. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    oh yeah. god I miss the sound when watching it at home. My speakers merely cough when something gigantic happens :_|
  11. Richard-Drahcir Force Ghost

star 3
    Great idea to start this topic but it needs to have a new thread per episode, regardless of whether it fills the forum up or not.

I love the intro and seeing Sauron's army get completely destroyed, only for this to change instantly when the evil one shows up is brilliant.
    I'm glad Galadriel begins the film with her commentary and they picked the perfect actor and character for this.
  12. qui-gon-kim Jedi Master

star 4
    I must say that Gollum looks nothing at all like the one we see in Two Towers and Return of the King. I heard that Jackson may plan on correcting this in the future. I hope he does.
  13. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I believe he's hidden in shadow enough that it's not that noticable or jarring. Even the eyes in Moria.

also, he's aged about 60 years (without the Ring) since the Prologue ;)
  14. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    But not that much from mid-FOTR to the beginning of TTT. ;) There were two templates. The original used here and the one used in the other two films.

One thing about the battle. There's some geographic errors here. First of all, Dagorlad is the Dead Marshes and Black Gate and that's still a long distance to the slope of Mount Doom and yet in the battle sequence, they're practically at it's base. Also the landscape seems different. There's all those cliffs and in the Third Age Mordor (in the film), I can't recall any.
  15. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    Yeah, I noticed the geographical errors as well. But this chapter still portrayed the magnitude of the battle fairly well. A great prologue to the long journey that is about to be faced.
  16. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah I remember gpoing to see this opening night wth the crowd, you knmow the midknight showing, and the intro just tiold me (I had never read the books) That this was just going to be epic!, a week later I read all three books in nearly a day.........great stuff
  17. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You can tell that from the get go that we do have something epic on our hands. The Miramax prologue definitely wouldn't have captured the full potential, especially with a Frodo narration as opposed to Galadriel.

Also even the great screenwriter wouldn't be able to get thousands of years of history full of action and prose in under five minutes.

OT Note:
    It was agreed that disucssion for LOTR-FOTR will stick to one thread. Thread title will be changed every five days. As always you discuss previous chapters, but we will be focusing on the current chapter. :)
  18. DarthCynthia72 Jedi Master

star 2
    It's been so long since I've watched it. I have all 3 EE. I need to find time to watch it again. I have a silver "The One Ring" that I wear everyday, and a huge decal circle of the inscription in the middle of my cars back windshield. My husband isn't into it, so it's hard to find time to watch it when he's not around.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Great idea for a thread! I love it!

This is a great opening, sets a template and instantly just plunges you into the world of the film.

The narration is gorgeous and Blanchett's delivery is dead perfect.

I think my favorite part is the ring shrinking in Isildur's hand, mainly because I didn't notice it until about the fifth time I was watching the movie . . . I can be blind sometimes.
  20. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I always thought the shrinking ring was more of cinematographic POV if anything. It makes sense because how do Sauron, Isildur, Gollum, Bilbo and Frodo all have the same fit. :p
  21. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    my book knowledge is a bit rusty... does the Ring have the shrinking ability for any reason besides being something of a "plot device" just to fit wearers of roughly three different sizes (big bad guy, human, hobbitsized)? :D
  22. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    when is the next chapter discussion going to begin?
  23. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Don't be hasty Master Meriadoc. I mean Master Conor. :p Expect the classic polite closure sometime late tonight followed by the next chapter and index. :)
  24. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Speaking as one who's never read the books, but LOVE the films, the opening for FOTR is one of the greatest intros ever for a film series. Jackson cuts out any and all story fat and gives us a perfect, beautiful timeline of the most important moments in the ring's history. The few minutes of forshadowing shows us Elrond's immortality and that his opinions throughout the series hold real weight because he has been there from the beginning.

The haunting music coupled with Cate Blanchett's dreamy, whispy voice are goosebump inducing and utterly intoxicating. You find yourself being immediately enveloped by beauty in all aspects of the story. It almost feels like Cate's handing you a blanket and cup of hot chocolate and you just KNOW that you're about to be treated to the bedtime story of a lifetime.
  25. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). LOTR-FOTR Chapter 2: Concerning Hobbits* DISCUSSION will be made available 4:05 P.M. EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.