main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LOTR-FOTR - NOW DISCUSSING Chapter 28: Gilraen's Memorial*

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT and CT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss LOTR: FOTR (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition) chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 46 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 47: Credits and Chapter 48: Official Fan Club Credits*

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 2: Concerning Hobbits*
    DISCUSSION: March 17, 2006 - March 21, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 7:34 - 10:31

Synopsis:
    The map pans away from the Misty Mountains and to the Shire. Bilbo Baggins is in his study, writing his tale, There and Back Again. He begins by writing Concerning Hobbits. He says that the rest of the world has ignored the Hobbits and that they are neither warriors or wise. Hobbits are seen farming their lands and Bilbo speaks. Bilbo chuckles and there is a knock at the door. He calls for his nephew Frodo, but no answer. Bilbo continues writing and says that their true passion is food. A hobbit is seen grabbing treat. They also like to brew ales and smoke pipe-weed. Hobbits are seen doing such things. But Bilbo says that they care for peace and good tilled earth. Sam is seen working in his garden. Bilbo believes it is not bad living the simple life. There is another knock at the door. Still no sign of Frodo. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This is a completely new scene added to the extended edition. It does give you a background of the Hobbits, which I think is essential for this longer cut. However for the theatrical version, I believe that it would have dragged the film along.

This chapter will definitely tie until to the Frodo and Bilbo reuniting scene at Rivendell. Bilbo shows Frodo the Hobbit and here you can already see that he is starting his book. And in Tolkien's The Hobbit, there is a prelude called Concerning Hobbits. I am hoping that some of the material will be referenced whenever Jackson does The Hobbit movie.

This shows that Hobbits are selfless and really care about the earth, but their fault is gluttony. Gluttony of course is a foreshadowing of Pippin pigging out on Lembas bread in Lothlorien. I do like the snake like camera moves throughout the hobbit hole. Notice from the theatrical cut that the title has been moved from Frodo sitting by the tree to this scene.

The weird thing that I find is that we are physically introduced to Sam before Frodo. Though Bilbo does call for Frodo, we see Sam first. I think it is also in this scene where Bilbo almost loses his ring and begins to grow mad. Even Hobbits can't avoid the power of the ring. Pretty good chapter that is better for the EE.

2. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I liked this new scene a lot. Shore's score was on the soundtrack and it's some of my favorite music from the Fellowship score: folksy and whimsical, a nice balance to the dark music that's coming.

It was cool to see Bilbo starting his book; anything that gives Holm a little more screen time is fine by me.

I think the best bit, though, is seeing Sam gardening . . . I mean, he is a gardener and this is the only time in the entire trilogy (I think) that we get to see him actually working with the soil. Great moment.

I have to admit that I felt the Bilbo going mad bit was a bit overdone . . . and definitely unnecessary. But the part actually introducing the maps and the book and the hobbits I liked.

4. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    That scene was great. Bilbo and the music score were the best!

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I forgot completely how the theatrical "Hobbit-prologue" played out. There were lines from Gandalf (later) wasn't there?

6. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Gandalf enters the same way into the EE the same way he does in the TC singing "The Road Goes Ever On and On" I

7. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Not his entrance (changing that would have been worse than having Greedo shoot first - twice!), but some of his later lines about Hobbits - but some of them, I think, would have been in the next chapter. Something like that.

8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). LOTR-FOTR Chapter 3: The Shire** DISCUSSION will be made available 12:40 P.M. EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT and CT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss LOTR: FOTR (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition) chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 46 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 47: Credits and Chapter 48: Official Fan Club Credits*

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 3: The Shire**
    DISCUSSION: March 22, 2006 - March 26, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 10:32 - 15:36

Synopsis:
    Frodo is sitting under a tree reading. Gandalf comes up the road singing "The Road Goes Ever On and On". Frodo says that he's late. Gandalf says that a wizard comes when is supposed to. Frodo leaps into the carriage embracing the wizard. As they pass through the countryside, they are talking about Bilbo and his party. Frodo says that he's been acting odd lately. Bilbo has been locking himself in his study looking at maps. In the hobbit hole, Bilbo begins to get tense and starts tearing things apart. He puts his hand in his pocket and sees that the ring never left him. He is in tears to some degree. Frodo thinks he's up to something and Gandalf knows. Frodo says that his ancestors were well thought of before sixty years ago. Gandalf says that he only gave Bilbo the nudge out the door with the escapade with the dragon. Frodo says that Gandalf has been labeled a disturber of the peace. They come down another road and children begin following them wondering where the fireworks are. Gandalf lets some loose and the kids cheer. Frodo is glad the wizard is back. He jumps off the carriage. Gandalf continues on to Bilbo's. The sign on the gate reads no visitors. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This chapter introduces the main character of the Lord of the Rings, Frodo Baggins. It is also quite different from the theatrical cut. Some shots were added some were interesting enough omitted from this extended edition. I will discuss with and without.

This chapter omits the lines about the outside world and Gandalf being thankful that Hobbits really are not exposed. I don't know why I liked those lines. I don't know how it would have fit into the editing, but from a purists point of view, you need it. With the extended cut are people not supposed to know the relationship that the Hobbits have with the outside world?

This fortunately is a dialogue piece. We do not even need action until another half-hour. We opened up with a high adrenaline action piece and now it nestles quietly into a discussion between the old man and the hero. Gandalf is serious and bumbling at the same time. He knows of the outside world, but at the same time can please the kids with fireworks. That makes up a stronger and more dimensional character.

The scene with a paranoid Bilbo I thought were in the last chapter but they are in this one. You really see the power of the ring. We don't know what kind of man Bilbo really is. He isn't evil or anything, but he is corrupted by this ring and it is tearing him to pieces. You have to feel for poor Bilbo. His suffering was more or less a destiny complex if you ask me. Good chapter.

10. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  11. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Those are the lines I meant earlier :p

Of course, any second of less Gandalf is a pity, because Gandalf is one of my favorite characters, especially in the movies, especially in FotR. Which is the main reason to like this chapter, imo.

Although a friend of mine one totally freaked out about that tree Frodo is sitting under. He wants one just like it. It looks so comfortable :D

12. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    In movies, you find the beginning chapters to be a bit boring while they take time to introduce characters and plot points. However FotR manages to introduce characters while still maintaining that suspense/excitement/drama. I don't know how to explain it other then that. It makes it much more interesting to watch the introduction of key characters and points.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This is a cool chapter. It introduces Gandalf and Frodo and both their introductions are really great. Wood and McKellen have a great chemistry and they're both really good here.

It should also be noted that this is the first time we see Hobbits and humans together and the effects are absolutely seamless. At this point, we utterly move beyond wondering how they did it to just buying it completely. Great scene.

I'll again mention that I didn't really like the Bilbo going crazy bit. A bit too on the nose . . . oh, well. A small quibble (very small) and the scene definitely establishes the bucolic Hobbiton as a beautiful place.

14. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Chapter does a good job of presenting Hobbits as innocent folk, not concerned with the rest of the world. Which is an important point in this series.

As a long-time fan of the books, I think the presentation of the Shire was right on target. Rolling hills, hobbit-holes, Hobbitlings playing around with not a care in the world

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i always got a chuckle out of that scene when the other hobbits give gandalf the dirty look

16. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    And that's the same hobbit who shakes his head when the Hobbits return home from their journey. I love the wife's look. We know who runs that household. :p

The two most beautiful shot in terms of cinematography are without a doubt.

1. When Frodo is sitting underneath the tree reading. This was orignally where the subtitle FOTR goes. It shows Frodo as a youngin into his readings. He's 33 here but looks more like in his late teens obviously.

2. The other is when Gandalf's carriage comes up Bag End. We get a wide shot of the Hobbit hole and it looks something right out of Tolkien's vivid imagination. That big tree hanging over Bag End. It just can't say it in words. It's that magnificent.

17. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I assumed those were the Sackville-Bagginses, who gave them all sorts of trouble in the books

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I don't think so. The Sackville-Bagginses have their own introduction at the long-expected party. They aren't as nice looking as this couple. ;)

19. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Also, at the party the fat grumpy man is identified as Mr. Proudfeet- er, Proudfoot (it's the same guy, isn't it?)

20. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I watched The Shire and the long-expected party again and he does bear a resemblance to Mr. Proudfeet.

I cross referenced my finding on IMDB and yes they are the same character and actor.

21. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I always think of this scene once you get to the end of the movie and see the look in Frodo's eyes at Amon Hen when he's prepared to leave the Fellowship. My favorite shot of the scene is what Moleman posted earlier:

2. The other is when Gandalf's carriage comes up Bag End. We get a wide shot of the Hobbit hole and it looks something right out of Tolkien's vivid imagination. That big tree hanging over Bag End. It just can't say it in words. It's that magnificent.

The music helps establish the beauty of the Shire as well.

22. jag29

jag29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 13, 2002
    A great establishing shot of Frodo. Still smiling, still untouched by the evil that is about to befall on him. Only other time he smiles like that is when he is boarding the ship with Gandalf.

Jag29

23. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Good catch. The first time we see Frodo he smiles and he does the same thing the last time we see him.

24. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I always loved this scene. It's very warm, and it proves that with all of the evil in the world, there still is a place worth a damn.

25. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I like the way this scene sets the background for the hobbits. Rural, simple folk who nonetheless enjoy a good time with food and ale. The cheerful, folksy music complements the cinematography wonderfully. It's amazing how quickly I took the small size of the Hobbits for granted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.