main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LOTR-FOTR - NOW DISCUSSING Chapter 28: Gilraen's Memorial*

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). LOTR-FOTR Chapter 9: At the Green Dragon DISCUSSION will be made available 12:50 A.M. EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

2. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT and CT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss LOTR: FOTR (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition) chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 46 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 47: Credits and Chapter 48: Official Fan Club Credits*

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 9: At the Green Dragon*
    DISCUSSION: April 21, 2006 - April 25, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 32:07 - 34:47

Synopsis:
    Inside the Green Dragon pub, the Hobbits are dancing on the table and drinking ale. Some older hobbits are talking about strange folk passing through the lands. The Gaffer, Sam's father, senses that war is brewing. One hobbit says he's cracking like Bilbo Baggins. Gaffer says that Frodo's cracking too. Frodo's proud of it and offers cheers. The hobbit says that if they keep themselves out of trouble, no trouble will come to them. Frodo and Sam leave the Green Dragon Rosie says goodbye. The hobbit gets down on his knee, sweet-talking Rosie. Frodo says that she can see an idiot when they come around. Sam wonders. Frodo and Sam go their separate ways home. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This is a completely new scene for the Extended Edition. It's definitely a light-hearted scene that gives us more information on hobbits and their relationship to one another and Middle-earth. We do see part of the end of this scene in the theatrical cut, but I like it extended.

First of all, they're all doing the dance on the table, which I like because it gives you that pub feeling and that is what the Green Dragon essentially is. The foreshadowing of strange folk passing through these lands ties in perfectly to the Passing of the Elves chapter to come. Hobbits do tend to stay to themselves and it shows here.

Also the one hobbit says to keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you. Well Mr. Frodo had thirteen months of adventurous trouble and he came out somewhat okay. I like how Frodo is proud that he is cracking. In a sense he is proud to be a Baggins and live under the hills as his ancestors have done.

The end scene with the idiot is pretty funny. I can definitely relate. If there's a girl you like, sweet-talk her. He does act kind of foolish and complements Sam who is shy and won?t get down on one knee and make a lovable idiot of himself. Glad they added it to the extended edition. Works quite well. Good chapter.

3. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  4. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Gotta love anything that involves Merry, Pippin and alcohol...

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I liked this bit. It got us a little deeper into the bucolic life of the Hobbits and Astin was great. His "Does she?" at the end of the scene is classic.

I can see why it would be cut, but I like it left in.

6. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I like this scene too. It's fun to watch the hobbits being a bit more light-hearted, and it's the first inkling we get that Sam has someone special in his life he's too shy to approach.

7. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    It works well with the scene at the Green Dragon at the end of ROTK when Sam finally works up the courage to ask Rosie to marry him.

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    agreed. ties in well to one of the final moments in the trilogy

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). LOTR-FOTR Chapter 10: The Shadow of the Past DISCUSSION will be made available 12:35 A.M. EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

10. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT and CT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss LOTR: FOTR (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring ? Extended Edition) chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 46 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 47: Credits and Chapter 48: Official Fan Club Credits*

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 10: The Shadow of the Past
    DISCUSSION: April 26, 2006 - April 30, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 36:14 - 44:58

Synopsis:
    Frodo returns home. Bag End is pitch black. Out of nowhere comes Gandalf, touching Frodo on the shoulder. He wants to know if the ring is secret and safe. Frodo pulls it out of the trunk and gives it to Gandalf. Gandalf throws the envelope in the fire. After a few seconds Gandalf pulls it out and drops it in Frodo's hand. He wants to know if he can see anything. There is nothing. Markings then begin to appear on the band. Gandalf says the inscription is basic language, which reads One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. Gandalf says that it is the One Ring forged by the dark lord Sauron. Taken by Isildur; found by Bilbo in Gollum's cave. It has delayed old age for Bilbo, the evil in Mordor is stirring. Sauron's life force is bound to the thing and it will do anything to go back to its master. The enemy tortured Gollum, who gave them information about the Shire and Baggins. The Nazgul enter Hobbiton. The gate keeper is killed by the Nazgul. Frodo asks Gandalf to take it, but he refuses. Gandalf knows that he can be corrupted by the ring. It cannot stay in the Shire so Gandalf tells Frodo to leave at once and leave the name of Baggins behind. He will be waiting in Bree at the Inn of the Prancing Pony. There is noise outside the window. Gandalf takes his staff and prods the grass. It is Sam. Gandalf grabs Sam and lays him on the table. He wants to know what he has heard. Only about a ring, a dark lord and something about the end of the world. Sam begs to not be turned into something unusal. Gandalf has another task for him. He is to accompany Frodo on his journey. In the woods the next day, Gandalf tells Frodo that the enemy has many spies and the ring wants to be found. Gandalf leaves on horseback. Later on they go through fields. Sam stops and says if he takes one more step, it'll be the farthest he's ever been away from home. Frodo says to come on. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This chapter is quite long, but wraps up our journey in Hobbiton. The journey ultimately begins in this chapter as Frodo and Sam set off and Gandalf goes to find the answers to this One Ring. It has its serious moments and humorous moments alike.

The revelation of the ring's true nature is pretty interesting. From an intimidating Gandalf coming out of nowhere, which was done quite well to the markings appearing and glowing towards Frodo?s face, this chapter is a dream in terms of cinematography. The small shots of Gollum being tortured and the gate keeper really add to this quite well.

Adding Sam to this scene was quite an intriguing idea. Sam here is quite the plot device that ultimately gets him and Frodo together for the first leg of many on this journey. We also see Sam in the role of the gardener and an eavesdropper, which will play a role later in this film and the other two. I like how he doesn't want to turn into something unnatural. That hints that Gandalf has done unnatural things around the Hobbits.

The departure from Hobbiton relies a lot on the lighting. I like the use of lighting when Gandalf crouches down to Frodo saying that the ring wants to be found. Great use of score here for sure. The fields scene is pretty emotional since they are leaving home. The farthest ever. Good chapter.

11. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think the best bit in this chapter was the 'farthest from home' bit. That really captures the epic nature of this quest and couches it in very human and simple terms. This is going to take you farther from home than you've ever been before. Wow. Cold chills.

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    good chapter. i got a laugh when Gandalf pokes his stick in the bushes to get Sam out of them.

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    The scene at the table talking "about the end of the world", as Sam put it, is one of my favorite dialogue scenes. Largely due to McKellen, who is just a joy to listen to, but also because it (like some scenes before it) creates a great atmosphere. Also, that's a nice harsh contrast. They're sitting at this table in a homely kitchen, smoking and having tea, discussing the most evil thing in their world.

Also a good way to get the Hobbits moving. I must say I'm glad that they leave the Shire. It takes too long in the book and any minute longer would be too much in the film.

Pretty shot: The "Come on, Samwise" silhouettes.

Silly detail: As soon as the wizard leaves, scary music plays and suspicious birds fly around :p gotta remind us this is serious business :p

15. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    A good chapter, and it's good even in the theater release, although I can't remember if there were any differences to the extended version in this chapter. When I first saw the movie in theater, I hadn't yet read the book. So the field scene coming after the "unnatural" dialog was very clever. For a moment there, I thought that Gandalf had turned Sam into a pony!

16. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    There were no additions or extensions to this chapter, always know that if there is a * after the chapter, it's a new scene. if it is ** then there's new material incoporated to the current scene of the TC. :)

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). LOTR-FOTR Chapter 11: The Passing of the Elves* DISCUSSION will be made available 1:25 A.M. EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the PT and CT CBC discussions, I would like to discuss LOTR: FOTR (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring ? Extended Edition) chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 46 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 47: Credits and Chapter 48: Official Fan Club Credits*

Chapter 11: The Passing of the Elves*
    DISCUSSION: May 1, 2006 - May 5, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 44:59 - 46:38

Synopsis:
    Sam is cooking some sausages. Frodo is up in the tree smoking pipe weed. They hear something and go through the brush to find a procession of elves heading for Valinor. They are to never return. Sam feels kind of sad. Later on Sam tries to get to sleep, but sticks keep poking him in the back. Frodo tells him to fantasize that he?s back home in bed. It's not working for Samwise. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This is a new scene giving more information on the elves leaving Middle-earth. Now in all thee movies we have some sort of procession to Valinor by the elves. This definitely helps character and the continuity and recurring themes of the film.

It's good to see Sam as the servant by cooking some sausages. Frodo is idly smoking pipe weed. They are equals, but they aren?t. I honestly think this arc isn't wrapped up until the end of the third film. The procession of the elves is beautiful. The music is captivating as is the cinematography. This has quite an almost perfect feel to it setting up the other processions.

I like seeing that Sam is uncomfortable laying on the ground making it more believable. If he treated the ground like a big fluffy bed, it wouldn't have worked. It also establishes a few complaints from Sam adding more dimension to his character. He is the rock when it's all said and done and to see him subtly suffer works.

This works for the extended edtion, but I don?t think that much in terms of a theatrical standard. You want to get to the Saruman and Merry and Pippin plot points. Good extended scene that works more in an extended fashion.

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    didn't really care for this scene. probably one of the few scenes that i could see needing to be cut from the extended edition

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    This was honestly not a tremendous scene or anything. I liked it fine, but it was a pretty painless omission. Ironic that the smoking shot showed up in about every magazine story about the movie and then it wasn't even in the movie.

22. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I thought Frodo and Sam looking at the elves was more common. I saw that in so many DVD magazines.

23. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    I liked it. It's not necessary for the plot, exactly, but it does establish the fact that the Elves are leaving the shores of Middle-Earth.

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    also, I liked the transition of the music better before this was added...

25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    One of my favorite scenes in FOTR is the scene in the cornfield with Frodo and Sam. The first scene I ever watched in one of the LOTR Films, actually.

The Passing of the Elves really wasn't all that great. Alright, but not what I look forward to in the EE. I just look forward to the next scene when watching this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.