main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA LOTR Idea (Now Reading Chapters 4-6 of the Hobbit due 12/15)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Rox , Oct 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I got this idea at work today while I was sitting around doing nothing.

For those that are interested we would start reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy three chapters at a time. A deadline of one week would be set for each set of chapters. After the deadline is up for one set we would then discuss those chapters the week we are reading the next set of chapters. I have done this on other message boards and it has been very fun and I learned alot about the books that I never knew before. So what do you think?

2. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I like the idea. Count me in. I'm wondering, though, could we start with the Hobbit, then do LOTR??

3. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    We could do that, i'd have to buy a new copy though. My copy has all kinds of loose pages.

4. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Sounds like an idea. It'd keep me motivated to keep reading the books- some parts are a bit dry, but if there are others reading, then I won't have to try. :)

5. karateyoda17

karateyoda17 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Im in I guess, though I read um many times before. I will join AFTER we finish the hobbit because, truthfully I dont really care for it as much. Its more a childrens book, but heck maybe I will change my mind about that too.

6. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Max, I would highly and strongly recommend that you read the Hobbit first. It is a great story and give a nice back story for some of the characters in LOTR. As well as helps to flesh them out. Besides it has a DRAGON. Who can forget SMAUG (sp?).

Count me in. I've read them at least four times over if not more and still find something new or reread something wonderful that I forgot.

7. Big_Daddy_Payne

Big_Daddy_Payne Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    Hell yes, I'm in. Any chance to read LOTR again is a great thing for me.

Let me know when we start.

8. Crimson_Knight1175

Crimson_Knight1175 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2002
  9. karateyoda17

karateyoda17 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Sal
    I have read the hobbit, and most all of tolkeins LOTR's stuff. Ii simply didnt like the hobbit, its written poorly IMO and , to quote tolkein himself, is a childrens book. Ya it shows backstorys, but its the EP1 of LOTR's (both a prequal, though he wrote the hobbit before LOTR's, and not exactly up to par with the others).

10. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I am going to invite the other LotR fans in the line party list if that is ok.

11. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Sure, that would be cool.

12. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Sounds like a cool idea!

I would like to read the hobbit as well, it is very neat to tolkien's progression as writer. (plus I was Bombur in a play for kids at college, so i have a soft spot for the book)

13. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I like the Hobbit.
    Bilbo Baggins! ^_^

14. Pandora_Maul

Pandora_Maul Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2002
    HMMMM, YEAH, I'm definatly in. Maybe I'll just downnload the books three chapters at a time.

15. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    OK everyone that wants to do this we will start with the Hobbit. You need to have the first 3 chapters read by December 8th, that is one week from today. Chapters 4-6 need read by December 15th.

16. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    Even though I'm not from Pittsburgh, can I join in anyway?

17. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Sure! :)

18. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    yipee!!!

19. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Sounds like fun!

20. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Awright, I'm still in. Will discussion start on the 8th? Will there be a general discussion leader or are going to just let it be free form?

21. BrendonWahlberg

BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm reading the Silmarillion right now, and understanding it for the first time. As a kid, I just gave up on it.

Anyone else here make it through that book?

22. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Are we going to discuss it here on the message boards or in a chat room? If in a chat room, what time on the 8th? (actually same question for if its on the message board) If a chat room, please someone post idiot directions for getting into and using a chat room.

Perhaps a couple of structured questions or discussion points to start us off, then move to a free form discussion.

23. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I tried to read the Sillmarillion...(sp?) it was WAY too confusing!

24. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Greencat,

this is mostly FYI. The chat room is found on the link "chat room" right above your name on the Leadership council PM links on the top of the forum pages. Basically you just enter a username and chat away!

Maybe one person could volunteer to structure the dialogues for each section. Then everyone can take a turn "leading" things.

25. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I'm glad, because I've been trying to read The Fellowship since last year, and Frodo and the rest of the hobbits have been stuck at the Prancing Pony Inn since February ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.