main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA LOTR Idea (Now Reading Chapters 4-6 of the Hobbit due 12/15)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Rox , Oct 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I have read the Silmarillion 5 times. I learn more about it every time I read it. As for where we discuss it I am ok with either. I figured the easist place would be here but we coiuld try and schedule a chat in the chat room if everyone would like to do it in the chat.

2. BrendonWahlberg

BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2001
    A great help to understanding the Silmarillion and LOTR is the book, "The Atlas of Middle Earth" by Karen Wynn Fonstad. I highly reccommend it to all Tolkien fans.

-BW

3. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    The best way to understanding it for me was this website, The Encyclopedia of Arda. It is the best website I have found on the net pertaining to Tolkien's world.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

4. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    So here it is, Dec. 8th. Its almost 1 in the afternoon and I'm looking for the discussion on Chapters 1-3 of the Hobbit. Am I in the right place? Perhaps I'm just a bit early (a very strange thing for me)

Well, here's my openning gambit, anyway . . .

Do you think Gandalf was planning on picking Bilbo as his "Expert Treasurehunter" or was he on his way to the Tooks (whom he apparently had a history of encouraging on those, if you'll pardon the expression, adventures)?

I'm leaning towards the picking Bilbo originally, since Gandalf knew his name, where he live, and his ancestory.

The master of the house was an elf-friend-one of those people whose fathers came into the strange stories before the beginning of History . . . In those days of our tale were still some people who had both elves and heroes of the North for ancestors, and Elrond the master of the house was their chief.

Elrond as elf-friend. The description of him as descended from heros and elves, does that seem like Elrond is part human? Or is it just me?

What exactly is the best way to prepare Dwarves in a camp kitchen? Somehow I doubt that trolls are known for their cooking skills. What if you had access to a complete kitchen? Imagine if you will, tonight on Iron Chef the secret ingredient is (cue music) DWARVES!

5. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I think you are right about Bilbo being chosen, he has took in him anyway! Gandalf saw room for him to adventure so helped him along...

.....Where is everyone...

6. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I read my chapters!!!!

I agree that Bilbo was the "chosen one". I think that he knew that Bilbo was made of some sterner stuff when compared to his fellow hobbits, and this adventure is just the thing to bring it out.

Plus, Gandalf being the closest thing to a Christ figure in these stories ties in. He foreknew of Bilbo's secret desires to have adventure and visit elves, and maybe had a general view of the role Bilbo's family would have on Middle Earth. Granted, he does not know all the details so the Christ comparison gets a little fuzzy there.

I was confused by the description of Elrond as an elf-friend. The only reason I can think of is that some elves are more haughty than others, but Elrond is friendly to outsiders. Maybe Gandalf is considered a human-friend? :)

Things I noticed:

Be aware of the change that takes place through the four books- the Hobbit was written pre WW2, and thus is a more friendly world. It appears as if Tolkein was disillusioned to an extent by that horrible time period.

Also note the interactions among the dwarve families. the "Ur's" Bifur, Bofur, Bombur; the "Oin's" Oin and Gloin; the "Lin's" Dwalin and Balin; the "Ori's" Dori, Ori, Nori; the "Ili's" Fili and Kili and Thorin all by himself. When putting on the play we made special efforts to remain with our families ;)

Fun fact- yes, I sang all the dwarve songs. I didn't say I sang well, but I sang :)

You can see the Trolls in FOTR right after the battle of Weathertop.

7. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I also agree about Bilbo being chosen for the adventure. My theory is that Wizards can see into the future very limitedly or like in the Sword in the Stone, Gandalf, like Merlin is actually traveling back in time as the story progresses. I think it could be something like that.

I don't know about Gandalf being the "Christ" figure in this though. Eur is the God like character in Middle earth though it is not said I believe until the Silmarillion. He created the Ainur, who would be like Christ's disiples.

I was confused by the description of Elrond as an elf-friend. The only reason I can think of is that some elves are more haughty than others, but Elrond is friendly to outsiders. Maybe Gandalf is considered a human-friend?

Elrond is often refered to as Elrond Half-elven becasue, I believe(so don't quote me on this) becasue his grandmother was a mortal from Gondolin.

One thing you do have to remember about this book, it was written for children but the message goes much deeper as the story evolves. I have read essays where the author make the analogy that the Dragon is Nazi Germany becasue of the way Smaug hordes all the treasures of the surrouding Kingdoms.

In the common tongue I am guessing that it is commonplace for the first born son in a family of dwarves to have a name to single him out. Most likely it is a form of the fathers name or the grandfather. Especially if you are from a family with royal lineage like they were. Almost like a Cast system inside the family itself.

8. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Well, it is true about theology of middle earth revealed in the other books, but it is hard to ignore the compelling evidence of Gandalf's return from the dead in Two Towers. I always saw him as a mixture of Christ on Easter morning and Christ in Revelation (with all the wrath and revealed power, etc.)

9. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    When are the next chapters due? Who is participating in this (beyond me, Rox, Greencat and Stina?)

10. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    Is anyone out there still doing this? I started a bit late, but I'm almost caught up with you guys(to chapter 8). Or is it all in the chat room now? I think I should be all up to speed after New Years. While I'm nursing myself after the "celebrations", I think being still and reading are all I'll be able to do ;)

11. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    I have no clue how dead or alive this thing is... more dead than alive since the topic sunk a few pages...

12. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Well, I'm reading them.. just not I guess up with this.. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.