main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LotR Marathon IS being shown in Valley View

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by DonC, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    From lordoftherings.net:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy to be shown in theaters this December
    Date: August 22nd, 2003

Leading up to the December 17 release of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, the final film in Peter Jackson's epic dramatic trilogy, New Line Cinema will release a limited number of 35mm prints of the Special Extended Editions of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers in theaters across North America. The special screening series will culminate in an unprecedented marathon of back-to-back presentations of the Extended Editions followed by a special screening of The Return of the King. The announcement was made today by Rolf Mittweg, the studio's president and chief operating officer, worldwide distribution and marketing.

From December 5 - 11, the studio will release 100-150 35mm prints of the Special Extended Edition of The Fellowship of the Ring in cities across the country. On December 12 - 15, these prints will be replaced with Special Extended Edition prints of The Two Towers. On Monday, December 8, and Monday, December 15, both films will be presented back-to-back. Then, on Tuesday, December 16, participating theaters will show a one-time-only marathon of both Extended Edition prints followed by an 11pm screening of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. The official opening of the film will commence at 12:01 AM on Wednesday, December 17, 2003.

The Cinemark in Valley View is on the list of participating theaters. No ticket prices have been announced yet.

2. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    Where did you find that info for the list of theaters?

I'm curious cause I have friends outside Cleveland that would like to know if the marathon will be playing at a theater near them.

3. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
  4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Tuesday, December 16, participating theaters will show a one-time-only marathon of both Extended Edition prints followed by an 11pm screening of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
    That sounds like a REALLY good time! My only concern being there is NO WAY Emily is going to be allowed to be out that late on a school night.

Who else is interested in going to see ALL 3 LOTR movies? Or would you rather go see RotK by itself?

5. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    *waves* Hi all. Sorry I've been AWOL for a while. Personal problems. But things are better now and I'll be around again. :D

Meh. Emily will only be out 'til 2 or 3 :p
    And it's a once in a lifetime thing. ;)

Yeah. Parents probably won't go for it.
    And I will need to ask to get out of work early, I think. But I definitely want to go to the marathon!

I have an awesome Galadriel costume. :cool: Anyone else up for dressing up?

6. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Welcome back Kim! Brian should have your shirt for you soon. (he picked it up today @ my house).

Well, after talking our mom into "possibly" letting Emily stay out that late (with the stipulation that she better be able to get through the next day at school) for a LOTR marathon...we found out the Emily has a band concert earlier the evening.

Yet hope reamins...while the company is true.
    We're gonna try and get Emily to Valleyview as soon as she's finished with her concert. She'll miss LOTR, and possibly part of TTT...but she'll be there for the main event!

7. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I'd love to go... but I'll probably be getting owned by finals instead... :(

8. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    Grrr. I get off on December 18th for winter break :(.

9. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    Dang double posts!

10. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    *Repeatedly hits head on very HARD table*
    Stupid Christmas Concert!!!!!!

11. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    The trailer for ROTK is now up.

The One Trailer To Rule Them All

It looks sooo good. I've never seen so many characters (real or digital) in a battle scene before. Wow. I'll really look forward to this right after I receive my TTT Extended Edition.

12. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Tickets go on sale October 9th (ticket prices TBA) So, while I don't know if this kinda thing will sell out (probably) we should figure out how many from this "Fellowship" are going...

LOTR Marathon
    Krash
    Padawan92 (after concert?)

13. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    LOTR Marathon
    Krash
    Jade

But I do need to find out times that this starts so that I can either take the afternoon off or block out that time in the afternoon. ;)

Are we going to go as a group to buy tickets, or how do you want to work this, Geoff?

14. GrnJalera

Feb 3, 2001
    It will start in the afternoon (around 3pm) on 12/16 and end about 3am on 12/17. There should also be a 30-45 minute break between each movie.

Much butt-numbness will be had by all. :D

There's a mess of us from TBX going. Still trying to get a final total from the group. At least 4 so far (including myself).

EDIT #1: There's also no guarantee that you can get in once the marathon starts or that they'll let in late-comers. Something to check with the theater on just to make sure. ;)

EDIT #2: I just called Cinemark and if they have any information, they're not telling. :mad:

15. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    How would we check about latecomers? I work til 5:30 on the 16th so I wouldn't be there til after 7:00.

How lucky for me I go to work at noon on Wednesdays.

The good thing is Cinemark has 24 theaters, so theoretically they could just add another theater when the last one filled up. I would assume they would of negotiated for the rights to show it in multiple theaters. The reaction of people if they found out it would only be shown in 1 theater would be terrible. Not to mention the cost would be very high. Tuesday is normally a slow day so they could pull the movies from other theaters.

16. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    no guarantee that you can get in once the marathon starts or that they'll let in late-comers.
    I'll ask around, I can't see them turning away someone buying a ticket (regardless of when they arrive) Besides, I can't imagine they'll turn away the chance for people to go see the midnight showing of ROTK after going to work.

When we went to see the Star Wars Trilogy SE at Akron Civic Theater, there were more people coming in after the show had started...not many, but I can't imagine Cinemark sealing the gates of Mordor at 3PM.

And never underestimate my padawan's ability to "theater hop" ;)

mess of us from TBX going...
    GrnJalera, it would be nice to see you guys again. You and the rest of TBX are always welcome to hang out with us before the show and during breaks!

17. GrnJalera

Feb 3, 2001
    I can't see them turning away someone buying a ticket

Neither can I. But I'd hate to assume and have her (or anyone else) get turned away. I'll be calling daily and once I find out something I'll post it. If anyone else gets some concrete info, please post it, too.

18. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    I'm not going to add my name yet, since I don't know if I can go. (I don't see why not, I'm not in school then.) But I'd like to know how much the tickets are soon.

Yes, I know I said that I hated LOTR, but I do believe that the main reason that I don't like it, is because I don't like movies that don't really end. (Underworld was fine, it can stand on it's own, but LOTR can't. I hate waiting to see the conclusion.) I'd like to give it a second chance though.

19. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    like movies that don't really end
    That's like saying you didn't like ESB, because you don't know what happened to Han Solo! The ending of LOTR (as well as TT) were perfect "cliffhanger" endings...the end of LOTR showed the various new plot lines forming, and TT left you knowing Gollum was leading Frodo and Sam in to a trap.

20. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Okay, fine. Most of LOTR was confusing to me, so to see it end like it did, I didn't like that.

21. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    And the Matrix Reloaded was also a cliffhanger ending, and you said you liked that. you = owned.

22. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    LOTR ends in a different way. There is no given on what will happen next, whereas in ESB, Han would have to survive, because the good guy usually does. In Reloaded, Neo has to save everyone since he is the chosen one. In Underworld, Marcus will probably fight against Michael.

LOTR just confused me so much, and I don't like movies that leave me confused when I leave the theatre. Probably if I would watch it again, I might not be as confused, but I haven't had time to do so. (as in sit down and watch a three hour movie, since I don't like to stop the movie in the middle of it and come back to it. (which is one of the reasons why I don't like Sparticus, we watched it over 3 days in Latin class, so I forgot things.)

I'm going and getting some sleep now... :p

23. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I'm going to do a very "Sparticus" thing and ask...so does this mean GrnJalera and company is going to join us in this "fellowship?" ;)

LOTR Marathon
    Krash
    Jade
    GrnJalera? and TBX?

24. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    You're wrong, Cindy... Neo doesn't have to save everyone... the Matrix is cool in that it wouldn't necessarily follow the formulaic plot you'd think it'd have.

And as for your reasoning with Han and ESB... the same could apply to Frodo, he HAS TO make it to Mount Doom and destroy the Ring, cuz he's the good guy. So I don't know why LOTR would be any different.

25. GrnJalera

Feb 3, 2001
    I just called Cinemark AGAIN and they have no information to give out. Which I find REALLY hard to believe since tickets are to go on sale in two days.

EDIT: SUCCESS!!

Don't bother Cinemark. You can get tickets online at Fandango.com. Here's the link:

http://www.fandango.com/movie_page.asp?mv=79326

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.