main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LotR Marathon IS being shown in Valley View

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by DonC, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I've heard that the extended version of Return of the King is currently sitting at a glorious FIVE HOURS LONG
    By the Force...that's a loooong movie! I mean come on...some of us like to sit down and watch a good movie, and experience sunlight in the same 24 hour span!

After hearing so much about Eowyn and Faramir getting together...I was disappointed that it was just mentioned in passing. Just another of those things about Jackson cutting the film down (for the sake of running time) that he already knows will be put back in EE DVD.

Among the additions are some Saruman, as well as the Houses of Healing
    When I heard the Christopher Lee was cut out entirely from the theatrical version, I was so upset...because it seemed disrespectful to such a well known actor (and huge fan of LOTR) to be cut out all together. What would happen IF Christopher Lee died (Force forbid) before ROTK EE DVD is released? It would be sad to think audiences never got to see his last performance. I mean people still get all sentimental about Richard Harris in Harry Potter.

2. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    I finally got dragged to the theater by my mom to watch it again, such a terrible fate. ;) I thought I remembered it better but I didn't realize how many little scenes I'd forgotten in a month. It just gets better the more you see it.

I was still jumping up and down in my seat when Shelob was chasing Frodo and I knew what was going to happen! Some guy down to my right must of had serious father issues because when Denethor was talking to Faramir he was gasping and muttering. I hope more Faramir and Eowyn gets in the EE. One exchanged smile does not a romance make.

they should have put his bit before Eowyn and made hers the crowning point of the battle.

When you see it again it makes more sense. The two actions scenes followed by the more emotional scene of Theoden's death.

3. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm going to see ROTK for my second time tonight. I can't wait. Just hope I have the stamina to make it through alright. ;)

4. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I saw it again on Saturday again. :D
    Still love it.
    Maybe better than the first time. ;)

5. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I saw it again this weekend also, my 3rd time. I think that'll be it for me until the DVD. :)

6. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I was at Valleyview today..."Big Fish" is really good! (finally a Tim Burton movie I like) It was a mad-house down there, and the first ROTK showing was sold out.

I haven't been back since LOTR Marathon, just haven't had the time to sit through a 3 hour movie. But I want to go see it again.

And apparently, other people have noticed the running tim efor ROTK is kinda crazy...on Real Time with Bill Maur he did a segment on "Bored of the Rings" in which he commented:
    The entire trilogy runs over 9 hours...at that rate you could be married to Britney Spears twice.

7. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    The entire trilogy runs over 9 hours...at that rate you could be married to Britney Spears twice.

Give it up man, you're not that lucky...

-b-

8. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Wow, the movie really grew on me even more the second time watching it. PLUS I FINALLY GOT TO SEE THE BEGINNING! Andy Serkis is the man. It was so awesome to actually see him as Smeagol, and watch him transform into Gollum. Great performance (as both) on his part. I also liked how PJ at least acknowledged Saruman and had Treebeard watch Isengard to ensure he wouldn't do anything else. (I know this deviates from the book, but at least it was some sort of resolution to the absence of Saruman from the theatrical version of ROTK.) I love the songs Pip and Aragorn sing. I still think the Mountain Men is "an easy out" plot device, but I did enjoy the movie much more the second time, not trying to absorb everything all at once.

9. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I forget. What was the role of those from the Paths of the Dead in the book?

10. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    If you're looking at me for an explanation, I still haven't read them. I'd like to, though.

11. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    Kim, I think their role in the movie was similar to their role in the book. I saw ROTK for the second time on New Year's Day and loved it just as much plus I knew when to expect all of Faramir's scenes! :D I'm ready to see it at least one more tim. Just finding the time is the trick. I think that at least Sean Astin deserves an Oscar nomination. The scene where Frodo sends him away is so moving!

12. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    RotK is FINALLY at the Apollo. w00t for $3 movies!! But it's only here for the week, so I should see it one more time before it leaves, sadness.

We have the version of the film where someone forgot to put subtitles in the scene where Elrond delivers Anduril! Poor people who haven't seen the good version and don't speak elvish...

13. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Sean Astin was awesome. So was Andy Serkis. Actually, I can't really think of anyone who was bad, except for some extras during the scene where Theoden says they're outnumbered, yet they're going to fight anyway.

Another thing I noticed... I could be wrong on this, but I think one of the little hobbit children in FOTR who listens to Gandalf tell his story was an extra in Minas Tirith watching Faramir and his men leave the city.

14. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes. I noticed that, too.
    I think that's one of PJ's kids. So a little nepotism there. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.