main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LotR or TPM?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Jedi_Jewl, Jan 21, 2002.

?

LotR or TPM?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. Lord of the Rings

49.2%
  2. The Phantom Manace

50.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edhel

Edhel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    I said TPM.

I'm not really sure though, it was a tough call. I did love FotR (seen it twice) and I intend to see it again this week. In FotR the acting was great, the effects were great.....but TPM is Star Wars.

FotR is certainly a lot darker. I think Darth Maul is cool, and the end duel is tense, but in terms of emotional involvement for the viewer I don't think it really compares with the hobbits being pursued by the Nazgul (or Ringwraiths or Black Riders, whichever you prefer). Also, the end when Samwise follows Frodo (trying to say the bit I mean without spoiling it for people who haven't seen it yet), that is far more moving to me than QGJ dying (oops, sorry, spoilers! :eek: )

Anyway, in terms of Darkness and emotion we will have to see how AotC and ep III shape up.

FotR is great but I see it as tiding me over till AotC. Can't wait for The Two Towers, too. I want to see the Ents!

2. Jedi_Jewl

Jedi_Jewl Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2001
    YA! Ents! Ents! Ents! Ents!

Ya, I'm ups for seeing Treebeard- oops!

*shuts big mouth*

BUT! I am looking forward to Ep.II,....I'm just looking forward to TT more. ;)

I guess the winner is...........

This is your last chance to vote guys! :D

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Hehe, FOTR is definitely better than TPM, but TT vs. AOTC... that's gonna be a tough one. ;)

I can't wait to see both of them!!! :D

4. Edhel

Feb 2, 2002
    Oh good, I'm not the only Ents fan then! Go Ents! :p

Not just Treebeard though, Quickbeam too, he's "hasty"! I mean, fancy saying "yes" before the question's finished! ;)

While I loved FotR I hope Jackson doesn't mess TTT about too much. He did a good job with FotR but I didn't like how he got rid of Glorfindel so that Arwen could get a bigger part. :mad: Flight to the Ford was one of my favourite bits in the book:
    "Fly Frodo, the Enemy is upon us! Noro lim, noro lim, Asfaloth!"

Jedi_Jewl, you're looking forward to TTT more than AotC!?! You must be a BIG LotR fan! :)

5. Darth-Mauls-Torso

Darth-Mauls-Torso Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    While I greatly enjoyed both films I give my vote to TPM.

LotR was too weepy. Nobody could stop crying! I know that sounds petty but it's a real beef with me. Plus you could start to feel the three hour running time in your butt after a while. It tended to drag in places.

And I thought that wizard fight was gulldamn hillarious. Sadly, I don't think it was intentional.

Sure TPM has its issues but I just thought it was more fun to watch. You say cheezy dialogue? I say fun dialogue! Plus Sidious is far more evil than Saruman. He played both sides for fools and he's the only one who knows it!

Plus I'm a zealous Star Wars nerd.

6. Fat_Fett

Fat_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2001
    TPM, you stupid nincompoops! THE...*****NG.... PHANTOM...MENACE! I loved both movies, but I liked TPM more because it is STAR WARS and STAR WARS fans on a STAR WARS website should talk about STAR WARS and not LORD OF THE RINGS. LOTR is already done with its huge run at the box office....about 280 million last time I checked, and about 9th in the box office. Ha! 'Tis mere pennies compared to The Phantom Menace. Oh yea, the music in TPM was better, too.....then again there was that Jar Jar character......and Jar Jar......and did I forget to mention Jar Jar? Honestly, even as a Tolkien fan, I am saying that LOTR has had its huge media extravaganza, but now its over, and everyone is looking forward to AOTC, Austin Powers 3, etc. Leave the topics alone!

Is it just me, or are most of the people who voted for FOTR people who just registered (this is my 3rd account, due to numerous complaints about the similarity of my name to other users' - does Boba_Fettish ring a bell? yea that was me but everyone thought I was someone else, damn them...)?

mmmmm.......broiled Gungan.......

7. Jedi_Jewl

Sep 26, 2001
    ...........OK.

And the winner is............

Lord of the Rings!!!!!!

And rightly so, don't you think? ;)

*starts throwing a party*

Lord of the Rings won!

Lord of the Rings won!

Lord of the...........ect. ect. ect....

8. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    I never took my eyes off of the screen when I first saw TPM.

I looked at my watch 3 times during LOTR.

'nuff said.

-Otis

9. Sifu

Sifu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 1999
    LoTR was not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination - the story was weak with nothing to grab my attention.
    Compared with The Hobbit, it's a big let down.
    Maybe the hype was too much.

My cousin thought the same thing.

In relation to TPM, it's a clean environment because this takes place in civilised locales (Coruscant, Theed) as well as other rougher environments like Mos Espa.
    Every time I see the TPM on DVD it just gets better and better.
    TPM: all the way [face_plain]

10. Jedi_Master_Arra

Jedi_Master_Arra Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 13, 2001
    NOOO! *shrieks in agony*
    don't make me do it! please!!! :_|

I'd have to go for LotR because While TPM was cool, and it had Ewan ( [face_love]), Anakin was so... lame. (i know it's a frequent complaint) I am looking forward to AotC as much as TTT now, considering the fact that I hope Hayden will be better than Jake. ;)

11. Jedi_Jewl

Sep 26, 2001
    Not 50 50! Please no! Rats!

Call up all the Lord of the Rings fans you know!!!!!!!

But the TPM fans can...um...ignore this pole. I mean, why bug 'um? :D

12. Angelic_308

Angelic_308 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 2, 2002
    I have to say TPM I liked LOTR But I wasn't very in to it.

13. THX_Princess

THX_Princess Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Lord of the Rings. :D

14. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Ki-Edi-Mundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2000
    I'm not Sifu's cousin, but I agree with him all the way! FOTR was the biggest dissapointment I ever sat through (not worst movie, but it certainly didn't live up the hype the fans created). With the exception of Bilbo, I hated every single one of those damn hobbits. The four main ones got on my nerves in practically every scene they appeared. I don't remember much about the elves (although that guy with bow and arrows kicked some ass) or even the humans (it took too way long for that one to die at the end though), but I did like the wizards. Ian and Christopher were the only enjoyable parts of that movie ('cept for that queer scene when they were throwing each other around...I don't remember that from the book, and it looked like it came stright out of Willow).

So, while TPM may not be the best Star Wars flick, I ceratinly enjoyed it the first time I saw it and like it even more with every viewing.

15. THX_Princess

Aug 26, 2001
    I don't like you. Any enemy of Sam is an enemy of mine.

16. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Oct 21, 2000
    I don't like you.

I could tell from the last time we met.

17. THX_Princess

Aug 26, 2001
    When was that?

18. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Oct 21, 2000
    Some thread in Community about a month or so back. I said I didn't like FotR and you and about 10 other people jumped all over me for not recognizing for the masterpiece that it is.

I still don't agree.

19. THX_Princess

Aug 26, 2001
    Ah, yes, I remember. I didn't really jump all over you (or at least not as much as some other people did.)

Well, there's no accounting for taste. :)

20. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Oct 21, 2000
    You said that last time, too.

21. THX_Princess

Aug 26, 2001
    I say that a lot. ;)

22. Jedi_Master_Arra

Jedi_Master_Arra Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 13, 2001
    hah! LotR is winning! [face_devil]

23. bluemeanies

bluemeanies Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2002
    I love both series and would have a very hard time putting LoTR in front of any of the OT, but I'm going to base this on the fact that after anticipating both movies, TPM left me slightly disappointed while LoTR was a more fulfilling movie experience. I just hope that AOTC rises above its title and doesn't leave me wishing Lucas had either quit while he was ahead or gave creative control of his franchise to Jackson.

24. Edhel

Feb 2, 2002
    Give...creative...control...to...Jackson? [face_shocked]

I am sure I will love AotC. And Jackson would only get rid of my favourite minor character and put in a woman instead. And insert extra love bits. And make the hero more wimpy.

Only kidding, I liked FotR...but there was no Glorfindel. :(

25. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I voted LOTR, but only because It´s running in the theaters and I´ve only seen it twice. I gotta see it again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.