main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LOTR Review!

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Crix-Madine, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    I am leaving in about half an hour for the 12:01 AM showing of the Lord of the Rings at the Boston Common Cinema. I will post my thoughts on it tomorrow!

2. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    My girlfriend is going to the 12:01 showing too, and so is 1/3 of Emerson College. I believe anothe 1/3 of Emerson is going to the 12:10 show... :)

I hope it's not too crowded when I go tomorrow at 2:00 PM.

3. Crix-Madine

Aug 7, 2000
    Well, I have been up for around 30 hours straight, and I am quite tired...

It was incredible. Simply the best movie I have ever seen (tops SW). Even before viewing the film I knew most of the script, that's how accurate it was from the book. The acting was some of the best I have ever viewed, settings are awesome. Even the little changes they had to make in order to make it a movie were perfect. Action is non stop, bad guys are pure evil and scary, great sword play too. Effects are pretty close to topping ILM in my opinion as well...

Mr. Jackson truly brought the book to life, go see this movie. You will not regret it...

Anyone else seen it yet? What are you comments and feelings on the film?

I am done rambling, now I am going to sleep a couple hours before the 6:15 show! ;)

4. JediGrl831

JediGrl831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Okay...I have to know...how good was the guy who played Legolas? Hehe. I've developed an Obi-Wanish crush on him! :D

Anywho, I can't wait to see it this weekend. As planned I'm going up to the mall early to do some christmas shopping, so I'll be there on time, I'm sure.

5. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    It topped SW, Crix?
    Well, I'll see for myself this Saturday.

6. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    Ok, i skipped the review in keeping myself spoiler free!!!!!!!!!!! the rest of you should do the same... *evil grin*

7. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Having read the books and followed the production of the movie for a year, there's no way I can be spoiler free.

Oh, and Legolas is played by Orlando Bloom, Beth.

8. Crix-Madine

Aug 7, 2000
    I saw it again last night, didn't really notice anything I didn't see before. It's really amazing though. If your a big fan of the book, it's like it's exactly what your goes through your head as you read it. Some of the scenes are even exactly the same as paintings done by some of the more prominent Tolkien artists. My fav actor was Sean Bean who played Boromir. He did an awesome job, especially during probably his biggest scene. Orlando Bloom who played Legolas was great, and Gimli was awesome too. No real dry acting performances from anyone. The beginning is good because it gives a good history of the ring what happened with the Last Alliance, so if you haven't read the book, you can still understand everything.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE! IT IS AMAZING!

9. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    My friends saw it. The only things they didn't like were:

1. No Tom Bombadil.
    2. No Old Forest

10. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    He cut them out to save time.

11. Crix-Madine

Aug 7, 2000
    Yea, they are not a big part of the story. If they didn't cut anything at all, you'd be looking at least a 6 or 7 hour movie.

12. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Do I need to read the book before seeing it?

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    How did gollum look?

14. Grand Admiral Reese

Sep 1, 1999
    Peter(Pete?), you should never have to read a book before seeing the movie. It's a bad adaptation if you do. Though it never hurts. ;)

And, yeah, the the movie's what, nearly 3 hours long as is? Just imagine how long it'd be with The Old Forest/Barrow-downs sequences in! 3 1/2 at least!

15. Crix-Madine

Aug 7, 2000
    If you read the book you'll have a much better idea of what is going on. However, PJ has done this movie so that even if you haven't read the book, you still get most of it. Also,fans of the book will notice a lot more of the little things that you would otherwise miss, which is half the fun!

Gollum looked awesome! Although he only appears a couple times,the CG is great! The voice is good too.

16. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Amazing movie I wouldn't call it really accurate adaptation, only partly so. A lot of things were changed, removed or added. Of course, that' inevitable, you can't have everything from the book, and I don't mind changes if they make sense. In fact, I'm OK with most of them, but what I definitely didn't like most of all were the new scenes with Saruman. Lee acts all right (and the acting here is better than in any SW movie), but I just don't like the stuff with orc breeding and especially the magic duel with Gandalf! That plainly looked silly. I don't describe the details as that would be a big spoiler, but that really sucked :( It's my major complaint though, everything was good, great or at least passable.

As for topping Star Wars... I don't know. I just can't compare them. Star Wars is the original world of Lucas, LotR movie is the Peter Jackson's interpretation of the original Tolkien's world and as such it lacks the depth of the book.

17. Crix-Madine

Aug 7, 2000
    I think the fight between Gandalf and Saruman was exactly as it would have happened if Tolkien wrote about it more descriptively. It was a battle of the minds more then anything else. It's not the kind of fight you have them throwing fireballs or lightning and such at each other...

And as for Star Wars compared to LOTR, Tolkien heavily influenced George's work, which is a known fact. Star Wars may not have been the same if there was no LOTR...

18. Grand Admiral Reese

Sep 1, 1999
    Star Wars also wouldn't be the same without Dune, Flash Gordon and The HIdden Fortress.

19. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    Very very true. SW is kinda like the US. We are made up of several diffent countries as SW is made up of several different books and movies. But what you get in the end is very special.

20. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    There was no duel in the book at all. And even if it was, Tolkien would NEVRE write it in the way it was shown. Even without fireballs the spinning of Gandalf looked horrible. Of course, it's only my impression, but it would look stupid in any movie.

21. Pellaeon69187

Dec 28, 2000
    lol, save the discusion for the meet.

22. JediGrl831

JediGrl831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    OH MY GOD!!

The movie was soooo good. I loved it. My Jar Jar loving friend loved it too...we are both going to read the books for sure now, cause I can't wait two years to see what happens. Dum de dum.

And oh my God, Legolas was fabulous. And Aragorn was just as great. Elijah Wood was wonderful and Ian McKellan too as Gandalf was great.

Plus, it was great meeting everyone. I don't know if I remember everyone's names cause I didn't get to talk to you all, but it was great just the same. Sorry we had to leave, I had to get Arlene home.

23. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    I had to leav early...my Dad wanted to go.

It was the best movie I've seen since TPM. It's tied with all of the SW movies. If I had one criticism, a little more dialogue. Although I have no idea on how to make movies, and this was obviously a hard project.

What was everyone's favorite scene/part?

Mine:
    Legoals stabs the orc with the arrow, then shoots it at another.

The flight through Moria.

24. Grand Admiral Reese

Sep 1, 1999
    Good lord in heaven...that was one of the best movies I've ever seen, including Star Wars, Lawrence of Arabia and Gladiator.

As for the wizard duel: well, Gandalf wouldn't just let himself be trapped atop the tower of Orthanc. Having him tossed up there by Saruman works pretty well, in my not so humble opinion.

The score was awesome. No other word describes it. Even having listened to it before didn't prepare me for just how great it goes with the movie.

The FX were awe-inspiring as well. The wide-shot of the Uruk-Hai marching from Isengard...the Last Alliance, Rivendell, the Wraith-world, the Lidless Eye, the Balrog...

The acting was top-notch. All the cast did their jobs well. The menace of the Nazgul was palpable. The idyllic life of the Shire was spot on. Lady Galadriel was perfect. Arwen's role-expansion worked pretty well, and Liv did her job well. The entire Fellowship did a great job, too.

25. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    TIE: you put tpm on a good movie list????? interesting.

Best part of lotr: Arwen telling caped horsemen to 'come and claim him'. 1) she looks hot. 2) she is pissed.

Also, aragorn's fight with the orc lord where he cuts off his head. Twas a good move.

Additionally, for anyone else that's played diablo 2, did any of the scenes in the mine's of moria feel like you were playing the game???? In act 5?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.