main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [LOTR] Tears for the Fallen (OC Database challenge)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Author: NYCitygurl
    Title: Tears for the Fallen
    Timeframe: ROTK
    Characters: OCs
    Summary: Juli is about to lose the man she loves, and knows she can't stop it.
    Notes: Written for the October 2010 OC Database Challenge.

Tears for the Fallen

Juli clung to Maek?s hand, desperately trying to hold back tears. ?Please,? she whispered, ?please don?t go.?

Maek raised their joined hands to his lips and kissed her fingertips. ?I?m sorry, my love,? he replied, traces of pain in his voice. ?I have to go. I don?t have any choice.?

?But??

Maek silenced her protests with his finger against her mouth, and then replaced his finger with his lips. Juli clung to him desperately, pressing herself against him as much as she good, trying to hold on for one more second as she heard a clamor start in the street outside.

His armor was hard against her, but she didn?t move away, didn?t protest as the plate dug into her skin. She had him, right now, for this one last second?

And then he broke away, gently but firmly.

?No,? she protested.

The sounds from the street grew louder, and she felt herself choking up, barely able to breathe. She didn?t realize that there were tears pouring down her face until Maek reached over and brushed one away.

?I?m sorry, Juli,? he said, regret and longing and sorrow in his voice.

?It doesn?t have to be this way!?

?It does,? he replied, still gentle. ?My lord Faramir calls.?

?Faramir?s a fool!? Juli cried, grabbing his hand again, trying desperately to stop him from leaving.

Maek shook his head. ?No, Juli. He?s a good man, one I?m happy to fight for. To die for.?

There. He?d said it, the words they?d been avoiding since the call had gone own. Faramir?s orders, on behalf of Denethor, Steward of Gondor. Faramir?s unit was to mass, and attack the hordes that had taken Osgiliath.

Juli traced the barely-healed cut on his face, compliments of an orc?s arrow that had barely missed when the city had fallen. Then she traced his cheek, his nose, his lips. Would have touched him everywhere, anywhere, needing to feel him this one last time.

He didn?t say goodbye, and neither did she. Neither of them could face the pain. But they?d both seen the forces that awaited, tucked safe within Osgiliath. Any force, particularly one as small as Faramir?s, riding over the plains to attack the defenders would likely not even make it to the city.

And surely not make it out.

Juli hated Denethor, hated Faramir for not standing up to his father. They were taking her love away from her, and she couldn?t stop any of it.

She had spent the last hour pleading and begging Maek to stay home. Surely, surely Faramir wouldn?t pound on the door, demanding his presence. Surely they could remain here, safe ? for now ? instead.

Maek wouldn?t even consider it. ?They?re my brothers,? he said. ?I have a sworn duty to fight with them, and a duty to my liege lord.?

He didn?t love her enough to stay. Or, perhaps, loved her too much to risk what could happen to her should he desert.

It didn?t matter, because either way, it meant that he was leaving her.

Maek grabbed her in one last, passionate kiss. Juli wanted to scream in pain, but instead she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back, savoring every second of the embrace. And when he finally stepped back, she let him go, knowing she would never forgive herself for doing so.

?I love you,? Maek said, taking a last look at her, and then turned to go.

Juli followed him out the door, stood with the waiting crowd as he mounted and joined the troops heading down toward the gate.

She was watching him, knowing him perfectly even among all the equally equipped soldiers in the group. She could pick him out in any crowd. So she saw when he turned back and gave her one last wave. He waved back and blew him a kiss. He blew one to her and then turned around and didn?t look back.

Juli didn?t want to watch. She knew what would happen, but she couldn?t stop herself. She wan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.