main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by DorkmanScott, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Out of the three films, I believe that Fellowship of the Ring is easily my favorite. I think it's because of the world it opened up for the first time, for the fact that it was more of a journey than a series of action setpieces.

So let's chat about the first installment of Jackson's LOTR adaptation.

M. Scott

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Of the three, I'd say Fellowship is my favorite. I love all three. They're spectacular. But the first one is so incredibly beautiful and, in my opinion, has more of that 'earthly' feel where I can connect more with it.

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    If only one out of the three LOTR movies will be remembered in a century, it would easily be FOTR.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I too like FOTR the best, but for perhaps a different reason. It's the part of the story where things haven't yet gone seriously wrong. We're still getting settled into Middle Earth, and as a consequence we can enjoy a fair bit of 'carefree' time with these wonderful characters. I'd hesitate to call it a 'comfortable' film, but I'd certainly say I enjoy getting to know Middle Earth before the **** hits the fan.

5. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    FOTR is my fave of the Trilogy. Mostly because I'm a sucker for great Charecter devolpment. Its the only one of the Trilogy I saw 4 times in Theaters.

~PK~

6. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I thought the ending was brilliant. :)

Gandalf the Grey > Gandalf the White

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Now I may be changing my POV if The Hobbit is ever made. I love that story. Just love it. That would be incredible and beautiful if Peter Jackson is able to make the film.

8. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    I heard a Rumor that they were going to attempt to make "The Hobbit" movie. Which I think would be awesome, that book is amazing.

~PK~

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    FotR is also my favorite of the three. A lot of Gandalf, the Fellowship together for half of it, Legolas doesn't get only obvious throwaway one-liners, the EE additions are lovely, apart from Minas Tirith (and even that gets a mention!) the music is the best. I also saw it the most in cinemas of the three and still remember two or three first reactions. And the danger and power of the Ring is most prominent, I feel.
    *sigh* I just watched it on Sunday again. One of my favorite movies ever.

10. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm watching the EE again, and Gandalf's Final Stand and the Aftermath is probably one of my favorite scenes, along with Boromir's Death, which is what makes the ending so brilliant. If they had gone along with the book and had him die at the very beginning of TTT, it'd be alot different.

11. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I love this movie more than the others, as well. I just like how you discover Middle Earth and all the ancient and beautiful things in it. The other ones are more concerned with the events themselves rather than Middle Earth and its history.

12. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I think the music is incredible. Some of my favorites are Isengard/Saruman's Theme, the Hobbit Theme, and the Fellowship Theme, as well as the various beautiful vocals heard throughout the film, along with the "History of the Ring Theme", which, I believe, is played as the Fellowship passes the Argonath. Howard Shore did an amazing job. The mix was great to.

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    The music is awesome! I love Howard Shore!

FOTR is amazing -- I love it so much mostly because, like others have said, it's before everything went really wrong. The Balrog was fantastic -- exactly like I imagined it. And the sets for Rivendell and Lothlorien were so beautiful. Galadriel was brilliant. Although the reason why I adore FOTR is really for the Shire and the Hobbits. Especially in the extended edition, we really see Hobbits being Hobbits. I love it for that. :)

14. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Fellowship of the Ring is my least favorite of the LOTR films. Sure it used the least amount of SFX to give some sort of realism, but I miss the emotional and action packed war scenes from TTT and ROTK. This is also the most lethargic despite it being the shortest. Perhaps because it was a road movie and set 12 hours of excellent cinema up.

15. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    I must say my favorate of the LOTR movie trilogy (havent read the books yet, I'm reading the Hobbit and will read FOTR, TTT, ROTK afterwards) is ROTK. Its just has everything and a beautiful wonderful ending. FOTR is my second favorate. TTT is my least. Its just too dis-jointed and very confusing. Nothing big really happens. The sci-fi teenage boy "ooo wow awesome FIGHTS!" vibed battle is a waste of time, IMO. It dosen't affect the story in anyway and I never really cared about Rohan. But, FOTR...wow, what a magical movie. I watched the EE about 70 times. I love it. The Balrog scenes is one of my favs in the whole trilogy, and the music when Gandalf falls is so emotional, it still gets me teary eyed. FOTR also has alot of Frodo who is my favorate character and the Ring is a bigger character in this one, as is Sauron and Gandalf who rocks. The ending is wonderful too, I get emotional at the: "I wish the Ring had never come to me" bit...I love it and its a great movie. FOTR is a blessing and will not be forgotten. Oh and Boromir's really good. His character is very interesting and tragic. I like that. Kate Blanchett is DIVINE as Gladeriel. She is perfect. I love her. The music is beautiful. Ringraiths were awesome. Most of this movie was legendary and I love it. Except for the whole segement from where they meet Merry and Pippin in the corn fields all through until they get to Rivendell sucks for me. It just feels very disjointed and confusing, and unbleievable. And I just don't really like Aragorn's character. Was never interested in him much, but otherwise great movie. I wonder if the book is just as great...hmm. ;)

16. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Read the book!

17. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    I will. I'm working on the Hobbit for now. I got the whole boxed-set for X-mas. :)

18. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I too think Fellowship is the best of the three, but I find it hard to point out exactly why. Might be because it was our first look at Peter Jackson's Middle Earth. And the fact that this is the movie where we see the most of Sean Bean as Boromir doesn't hurt either, what he does what that character in this movie I find truly fascinating.

19. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    I remember a lot more from FOTR than the others. Not sure why though. TTT is still one big blur for me. I really need to watch the last two again, as there is so much to absorb. So much detail.

I thought the scenery shots in FOTR were spectacular. I went to NZ last year, and it felt magical flying around the alps. I also visited the location where they created Hobbiton. That was a great experience.

I loved reading The Hobbit. It really made me admire Bilbo. Then when I see him in FOTR, it is sad how much he changed because of the ring. I'm not sure whether I'd like to see it as a movie. I'd be disappointed if it didn't do it justice.

20. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I greatly favored TFOTR over the other films. It was, I think so, about the most moving and well-paced film.

21. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Finally, someone agrees that FOTR is more moving than the last two. :p

It seemed to me that some of the emotion in TTT and ROTK is a bit forced, while everything in FOTR felt perfectly natural.

22. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    The thing for me about the Last two, is that movie wise they seem like the same two movies with diffrent endings. Don't get me wrong I liked them and I'm sure the books are much better then the movie adaptation of them. But from the point of someone who's not read the books thats how it appears. FOTR just had everyone one could want from a movie, emotion, some fighting, Amazing Charecter Devolpment, romance, conflict. Everything one could want from a movie.

The other two have fighting and more fighting and a little romance and Charecter devolpment.

~PK~

23. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    i dont knwo why my name didnt come up, but i posted the above--

24. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i wish the first fellowship movie had been paced more like the book, everything felt too rushed in the film

25. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Rushed? See, I feel that way with ROTK. If anything, FOTR needed all of the Bombadil stuff. The only deletion I agreed with was the Barrow Wights. All in all, just like the wraiths on the hill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.