main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by DorkmanScott, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Exactly. :) Who doesn't love, or at least love to hate, the local characters? Seeing him again was a sign that the Shire had stayed the same, which was satisfying, yet at the same time, you knew that Frodo wasn't going to be able to linger in the Shire anymore.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah the moment he left The Shire he was never going to be able to properly return. Experience changed him forever, but in becoming a different person he ensured Mr. Proudfoot didn't have to.

3. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^Yeah! I like it when the Fellowship comes back to the Shire at the end of ROTK all dressed in their Rohan and Minis Tirth garb, and the guy is still sweeping at the front of his house.

4. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    As many others have said before FOTR is my favorite movie out of the trilogy.

I love the music, the Shire, and Gandalf the Grey. This movie just has a more natural tone and homey feel to it than the ohters. I guess that's why I like it so much.

5. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    The music in these films was very good indeed - I love listening to the soundtracks. :) I think the best thing about this particular part of the saga was the color. Several of the locations are colored in a way that was hard to match even in the later films IMHO.

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Howard Shore is a great composer. the music through out the trilogy is great. i was surprised when jackson pulled him from King Kong

7. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Yeah, but Shore was in the movie. He's conducting the orchestra before Kong makes his NY appearence.

In hindsight Shore was probably glad his score was revoked since the movie itself was abysmal.

8. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Shore's soundtrack have that majestic feel that pull us back into a time long ago quite nicely. Few times it has brought me to tears.

9. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The History of the Ring Theme is one of my personal favorites; especially the version played at the Argonath Passing.

10. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Okay it's time for a triple dip. Seems that they're rereleasing the trilogy again in 2-disc sets. Disc 1 is TC/EE with branching feature. Disc 2 is a new documentary. Check DVD Active for more. To me it's a no-sell.

11. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I'm not triple-dipping, either. I still haven't finished all the extensive special features on the EE sets. I doubt these documentaries will offer anything new.

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    same here. i personally think it's a waste of money to get this set unless you're a real die-hard LOTR fan

13. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    But it is kind of handy to have the TE, and EE on ONE disk as opposed to three.

14. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    How are they going to fit an EE into one disc? They were split into two in the previous sets. Unless they pull off a miracle, the picture quality will likely suffer.

I will say, though... The box art looks quite nice. Reminiscent of some of the book covers.

15. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Wow. That definitely is some nice art for those.

16. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Don't the EEs fit on one disk when you leave out the four commentaries?

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    It'll be tight and the transfer may not be as good as the split EEs.

18. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Yeah, but those DVDs are pure gold at times. One of my favourite moments on the ROTK EE cast commentary was when Bernard Hill making fun of Théoden's little inner monologue bit. Plus you can't fault Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd when it come sto laughs.

Must say that I've never listened to Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh's commentary, any good?

There is just a quality to FOTR that makes it so loveable. I only saw it once in the cinema (as opposed to the 3 or so times seeing TT and the 4 or 5 times I saw ROTK) but it was such an experience. These girls down the row from me were hilarious, going "Argh, *beet*" when Bilbo had his Gollum moment and then "But he's a good guy, he aint supposed to die" when Gandalf fell. I hadn't read the books then (but not though lack of trying, I always made it as far as Tom Bombadil's house then gave up.) but knew Gandalf survived. I also really had an interest in Boromir. At first I thought he was an evil jerk, but then I realsied that he was just trying to help his people, so then I felt bad for him dying. Plus I gained the obligatory crush on Orlando Bloom for a short while.

Sure, TT and ROTK have huge battles, Gollumness, Faramir, Rohan and all else, but there's something so natural about FOTR.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i think i'll watch this tonight. haven't watched any of the LOTR movies in a while

20. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Okay I think the Box Art is going to be similar to Ten Commandments as you open it up from the back.

21. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I absolutely love the LotR movies, and FotR best of all. I think that's because here the Fellowship is still together and we see them move from one lovely part of Middle-Earth to the next. The other movies are great too, don't get me wrong, but they're a lot more disjointed, especially RotK. I tend to prefer linear movies to moving about from one storyline to the other. FotR had just one storyline throughout, TTT had three and RotK five. I especially love the EEs. I won't be getting a new version, though, until they come out in some HDTV format and I have a HDTV as well...

22. Korto_Vos

Korto_Vos Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2006
    Good lord! That's supposed to be a man! :eek:

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    :eek: [face_laugh]

25. Nethrin