main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [LotR] Think Better of Me [RotK - Faramir Vig]

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Miana Kenobi, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    TITLE: Think Better of Me
    AUTHOR: Miana Kenobi
    FANDOM: Lord of the Rings
    RATING: PG
    CATEGORY: Vig, Angst
    SUMMARY: During Return of the King with flashbacks. Faramir reflects on the relationship he has with his father as he rides to his near-death.
    DISCLAIMER: All of it belongs to Professor Tolkien and Peter Jackson.

The eerie silence that swept over the city of Minas Tirith was deafening, the only sound coming forth was the clopping of many horses? hooves upon the stone foundation. It ricocheted off the white walls of the city, each pace signaling the approaching doom for the riders. A babe?s cry echoed through the street, growing louder as more riders passed. Flowers flew like enemy arrows at the riders, falling to the stone ground to be trodden on by their steeds.

Before them all rode their captain, silent as the grave as they came to the bottom tier of the city. No expression but bitter sadness was marked on his face, his gray eyes not moving from the path before him. The gates of the city opened, Faramir not even meeting the eyes of the guards the stood near the gates. Before him, the barren field of Pelennor lay, the blackness of Mordor as its background. He sucked in a breath of air before urging his steed forward onto the road.

He will remember it before the end? Mithrandir?s words burned into the back of his mind, betraying his visage as tears threatened to come from the internal well that he had worked so strongly on to cap. His own father had confirmed what he had feared to be true, that he would never forgive him for his brother?s death. He had not even forgiven him for the death that he had not caused.

Faramir remembered the day all too well. He had been but a child of five, standing on the steps of the citadel. He wore the traditional garb of a Citadel guard, the black velvet surcoat resting atop the chain mail he wore. The city had been just as silent, the crowd gathered in the Court of the White Tree with a lone path leading to Silent Street. He could feel someone reach over and grab his hand, turning a teary eye to the boy on his right. Boromir gave a small encouraging smile to his younger brother. The ten year old was concealing his sorrow better than his sibling, yet Faramir could see the small shimmer of tears as they threatened Boromir?s eyes.

Four guards proceeded towards Silent Street, walking silently as they bore aloft the body of Finduilas, her once cream skin now pale as death. Faramir watched the guards take his mother away to prepare for her journey back to Dol Amroth. He would not go; his father deemed him too young to make the journey on horseback. Boromir would go, as would his father, but he would remain in Minas Tirith under Mithrandir?s watchful eye.

He turned his eye to the man behind him, seeing the same strong expression that was etched onto Boromir?s face evident on his father?s face. Denethor stood behind his sons, cold and silent as the stone statues that lined the Citadel. He watched Finduilas?s body pass down the way, lowering his eyes when she could no longer be seen. Faramir caught Boromir turning his head as well out of the corner of his eye, the two boys looking up to their father.

Denethor raised his eyes to his sons, giving a small smile as he reached out a hand and touched Boromir?s cheek. He turned his cool eyes to Faramir, his smile lessening. He tentatively reached out a hand to do likewise, but his hand faltered, recoiling back to his side. Faramir let another small tear run down his cheek as he looked upon his father in wonder. Denethor was fixated upon his eyes. The same eyes that his mother had. The Steward shifted his gaze, turning and leading the way into the Citadel. The court slowly began to disperse, leaving the two boys standing on the steps. Denethor stopped at the top of the stairs, turning to his sons. ?Come, Boromir. We must prepare to depart.?

Boromir cast a look at his little brother, squeezing his hand tightly before rushing up the stairs t

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    :_| So sad!! And so beautiful.

3. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Ohhhh man. This was totally awesome.

I was making a quote list, but it ended up being pretty much the whole thing, so I figured I would just flip out about how amazing this is a little bit.

Each of the little scenes were so perfect! I loved how you wove in Faramir's encounters with each of the same three characters and his current situation. And Pippin at the end wearing the same thing Faramir had on at the beginning, that was a really good touch as well.

So basically, this was awesome. Great work!

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Thanks gunner. And if you watch the Extended Edition of RotK, the Gondor outfit that Pippin wears is Faramir's. Not really sure I made that clear when I tried to express that, but oh well. ;)

Thanks you two! :D

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    That was excellent, and extremely believable given what we saw of them in the movie. Great job!

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    That was amazing, Miana. =D= You really captured the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.