main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Austin,TX LOTR Two Towers

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by BigChris, Nov 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigChris

BigChris Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2000
    Hey guys, anyone has plans to catch this on the 18th???

Big Chris

2. Kimbote

Kimbote Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    I bought tix for 11:15 showing on 12/21 at Alamo Drafthouse North so that Donna could join me. I hope I don't get spoiled between now and then. :)

3. infallible

infallible Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    Got tickets for the midnight show on the night of the 17th (technically the 18th) at Alamo. Their doing a cool double feature with Fellowship. FotR starts at like 8:45 and you just stay for the midnight showing of TTT.

Can't wait!

4. Ripster

Ripster Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2001
    I'm hoping to see it up here in Michigan on the 18th But that is during finals week so I don't know. I might wait until I get back to Austin to see it
    ~Sara

5. neumera

neumera Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2000
    The 7pm Gateway show is sold out. I bought tix for the 18th at 8pm at Westgate from Fandango.

6. DarthBarf

DarthBarf Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2001
    I am going to get tickets for Friday night at Pflugerville Tinseltown. Anyone want to join me?

7. BigChris

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm going to catch it at 11:59 at Gateway, tickets are going fast!!!

Big Chris

8. philih

philih Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    Just a heads up that cinemark.com is showing a listing for n.tinsletown having two midnight shows for wed. 12:01am and 12:02am.. not sure about their south location..

9. Kimbote

Kimbote Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    Alright ... so what's the verdict? And NO SPOILERS!!!

10. infallible

Mar 11, 2002
    I wasn't going to post, since this is a SW board, but since you asked...

I don't want to sound like a whining fanboy, but they took too many liberties with the story. Some of them I can forgive, but others don't make sense, even in a film adaptation. I can't mention them all, because I don't want to spoil anything, but I think you'll be able to see the ones I'm talking about when you see the movie tonight. The one at the top of my list (which is a non-spoiler) that's most grating is that they messed with the character of Faramir. He's not really as he was in the book. Any other things I may say would be spoilers.

On the whole, it was a good movie, especially for folks that haven't read the books. But because of some important changes, I walked out with a really bad taste in my mouth. It was worse because just before, we saw Fellowship, and Fellowship was such a perfect film adaptation. This one, however, made too many important changes that couldn't just be glossed over by fans of the books. See it tonight and tell me you don't agree.

11. philih

philih Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    I'm one of those people who hasn't read the books so IMHO...

..Amazingly fantastic movie. Good pacing, Gollum's performance is all that everyone says it is, and the battles will blow you away. Leave your bookmarks at home and go see this as soon as possible.

12. Ripster

Dec 13, 2001
    I hope I don't spoil anything on accident... some of the things are not in the book the two towers but in a different one, The Samerilian (sp?)
    it has some comic relief, some good some pathetic.

my overall verdict GO SEE IT!!!!!
    very good very very good....

13. Gambler

Gambler Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    WELL...its no STAR WARS of any kind. All and all..its very worth seeing..but I couldnt help but find some of the acting by Golem similar to YODA in Empire and etc.. Or perhaps Yoda was similar Golem...Either way... I didnt really care for character all that much...sure he was done very well.. but just wasnt that impressed. Action is still cool as I would have guessed from the 1st film. Everyone keeps saying this is the EMPIRE of the LOTR Trilogy...the only thing they have in common in my opinion is that it happens to be the sequel to the 1st.

14. neumera

neumera Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2000
    I totally agree with Infallible. Bad taste in my mouth. I really was on the verge of tears. Some things I thought were perfect, some unforgivable. They didn't even get through with the book Two Towers. Not even close. They maybe got half way through the story.

15. DarthBarf

Oct 21, 2001
    hmmm . . . maybe they will make "Return of the King" and incorporate the end of the Two Towers book ;)

An interesting fact to note is that Tolkien wrote LOTR as one book and only unwillingly split it in 3 after ruthless urging of his publisher, there really is no defenitive beginning and end to each book; it's all one.

16. BigChris

Mar 11, 2000
    This is a great film!! I thought it was a slight step down from Fellowship, but great non the less. I know alot of people say that the Gollum CGI character steals the show. While he gives a great performance, I still think Yoda in AOTC is the best CGI character in film, err digital, err whatever. Anyway, TTT is definately in the top 5 movies of the year!!

Big Chris

17. infallible

Mar 11, 2002
    The ending is one of the things I can forgive, but I just think it's a pity they ended it where they did. The ending of TTT in the book was so strong and left you crying for more, just like the end of Fellowship. And while this one is also a good ending, it falls short of the ending in the book, and I think that by having the book ending at the beginning of the next movie, it downplays the importance of what happens there. It makes it seem like just a little setup.

Now that I know what's different, I'll probably see it again in a few months. That way I'll be able to watch it just as a movie and not as an adaptation.

18. Jedi_Depa_Billada

Jedi_Depa_Billada Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    i havent seen the movie yet, and judging by all the bad comments i've heard everywhere, not just here, all i have to say is lotr and star wars are 2 totally different kinds of films. if you feel gollum is a cheap imitation of jar jar or yoda, you have to keep in mind lotr was written way before star wars was, and gearge lucas was inspired by many films and books. another thing is if this movie is so bad compared to the book, then so was fellowship, and so will return of the king. these are books that were seperated before being published the first time. they were one big book, so you have to treat these films as one big movie. for those that didnt know gollum was a hobbit in fellowship, ttt finishes explaining his story, and arwen...peter jackson gave her a bigger role in the films than in the origional book, i dont see any guys complaining there like people do about borimir's brother. lol
    the point is, peter jackson's vision of lord of the rings, is i have to say better than anyone in the world. so some characters werent exact, but he didnt take anything away from the story, besides, everyone knows not every movie is detail by detail, word for word, like the story or comic book written before it. i think peter jackson is a genius for making the films the way he did, from the locations, to the script, costumes, weapons, screenplay, and anything and everything in these films. i dont think anyone else would have done a better job. i think these will be some of the greatest films of all time. and may i add, jrr tolkien is da man.

my .02 cents. :p

i cant wait to see the two towers, and return of the king.....
    hmmmm return of the king, return of the jedi? wow who knew. lol

19. Ripster

Dec 13, 2001
    i absolutley loved the movie, ... but the thing with Famamir is almost unforgivable. He is supposed to be a counterbalance to Boramir and prove that the race of men is capable of not being self-seeking.

~sr

20. Jedi_Depa_Billada

Nov 30, 2001
    he let frodo go didnt he? and he never tried to take the ring...unless i blinked when i saw the movie lol

21. infallible

Mar 11, 2002
    Yeah, eventually he did, but what he did before that is what's important. Faramir is supposed to understand the ring and its power and is supposed to support Frodo's quest from the start. Faramir is supposed to be a Ranger like Aragorn, and while that specific detail isn't important, the implications to his character are. The tragedy of Boromir is that Faramir was the one that was supposed to go to the Council of Elrond and be in the Fellowship. Faramir wouldn't have tried to steal the ring, and Boromir wouldn't have died. Faramir is supposed to be a foil to Boromir, not a younger Boromir. There are supposed to be major differences in the characters, but those were blown aside when Faramir took the ring to Gondor and was going to hand it over to Denethor. That's EXACTLY what Bormir was going to do, and having Faramir do it destroys his character.

22. Palpatine1138

Palpatine1138 Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2002
    Well, I won't compare it to Star Wars except to say that these are THE 2 great film epics of all time. As for this installment, it suffers somewhat in comparison to 'Fellowship' , as the pacing is slightly off and the changes to the bok don't make as much sense. Still one of the best movies of the year - and teh climactic battle is absolutely incredible!

23. Jedi_Depa_Billada

Nov 30, 2001
    i guess if you compare ttt to star wars, or even the origional books, its something that not all of us agree on. there are intense lord of the rings purists out there, that always find things wrong with the films (like the people objecting to ian mckellen playing gandalf -what a bunch of losers), same with star wars purists. i'd have to say its the best movie of the year, even if you count spiderboy and sadly aotc. :( if anything can blow jedi fighting out of the water, its a huge massive war made of real actors, no 100% cg. but i do still love aotc.

24. DarthBarf

Oct 21, 2001
    Actually, TTT may use just a tiny bit of cg in the battle scenes as well.

25. Jedi_Depa_Billada

Nov 30, 2001
    no way man. i never seen a movie done so carefully and accurate. it takes braveheart's battle seens which i may say were so kick butt already, and totally made them better. adding more cg would have taken away the beauty of that movie. the trees is one thing, but when you got men fighting with swords, bows, axes and what not...you gotta do it braveheart style. use actors, but multiply them. makes it look more unique and real. everyone is doing cg now days, and it makes a film look too fake and some of us just dont see whats good in making entire battle seens cg (ep1 gungans vs. droids). no no no ttt needed nothing more. the battle of helms deep was a struggle to film i am sure...filming at night time in ice cold rain...you gotta give credit to all the actors and extras and the crew for filming it. its a masterpiece of a battle. if it needed any more cg, the movie would have lost its integrity and it would have been just another computer generated movie...like aotc. whats the whole point of making a live action movie, when live action is being taken over by computers. yes cg does come in handy in some areas, but i think peter jackson made the films look more REAL, and that is what makes it the best movie of the year. :)

sounds like a book report doesnt it? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.