main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC LOTR2-What did you think?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithLord-Mixo, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Hey just saw "The Two Tower", here is my view. What do others think of the film?

Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers [M]
    The sequel to the Academy Award winning, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, has arrived.

Based on J.R.R. Tolkien's epic trilogy, this second instalment follows the continuing quest of Frodo Baggins and the rest of
    the Fellowship that bonded together to destroy the One Ring and stand against the The Fellowship has now been divided into 3, with ring-bearer Frodo choosing to go alone with Sam to Mordor, for the good of the group.

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli continue in pursuit of the Uruk-Hai who've captured Merry and Pippin.

Saruman has amassed a huge army of Orcs and a larger evil army is gathering in Mordor. Humanity is facing it's biggest quest for survival. The armies of darkness are on their way!!

To say this is the best movie I have seen would be a lie. To say that this is the best fantasy movie I have ever seen is would be a lie and heresy. To say this is the best acting I have ever seen would be a lie. But to say that the cinematography, costumes and scope of the whole project is the best I have ever seen is close to the truth. The truly epic content of this series is something to be admired and studied.

The movie is consistent with the first. The battle scenes are awesome (thanks to the developed "massive" engine). The CGI characters, including Golem , far surpass that of Jar Jar Binks. Word has it that Golem (who resemble and sounds like Old Mr. Steptoe) may be inline for an academy award. This would not surprise me looking at the performances of recent Oscar winners, but I don't think it will happen yet.
    The story goes along at a very steady pace and their is a lot more storyline and character development than there was in the first. There are many new friends and foes of the Fellowship to get your teeth into.

A very easy watch and on the big screen that should be. If you liked the first you will you will love it. If you hated the first, as many did because they were not aware of the ending then perhaps watch it with the first in mind and you may grow to like it. With such special effects all I can say is bring on a remake of "Conan the Barbarian". Arnold wants it to happen, the fans want it and with the original having the some of the best true action sword fighting ever seen, it can't lose!

2. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks for 'your' view there Mixo :p

As I've said somewhere else, TTT was Firmer then Firm. Amazing acting, CGI (although at times noticible CG) and a good music score. Legolas and Gimli at times stole the show, with Gimli's great comic relief and Legolas's amazing stunts such as the cool 'getting-up-on-the-horse' manouver and 'shiled-skating'. The only thing with it being so long is that you forget much that happens... but that's why you go to see it again, and again, and again :D

3. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I loved every aspect of it.

My favourite part was the first appearance of the Nazgul. The shot fools you into thinking that they're riding horses, but then as it pans out you see the rider on top of a black dragon. Absolutely amazing.

Every aspect of the film was top notch. I've only read the hobbit, so I had no idea what would happen.

4. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I saw, no, I EXPERIENCED The Two Towers last night, and I would have to say that this is the best movie that I have ever seen.

However paradoxically, even though this is the best film I have seen, I still like Star Wars (the film franchise) better.

5. Jet-Eye

Jet-Eye Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    I loved this film, and I dare say that the prequels pale in comparison, on a 'movie-spectacular' scale as well as 'story tale' scale.

Gath, you're saying that overall, the storyline of Star Wars is better, right? Indeed, the EU is brilliant in itself!

6. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I love the way it ends, a dark and somewhat cliffhanger conclusion to the movie! :D

And I have seen it twice in 24 hours. ;)

7. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Hmmm... perhaps I can explain it this way.

My brain says that LOTR: TTT is the best film that I have ever seen, yet my heart says that the Star Wars films are the best. Hope that makes sense.

I just absolutely loved LOTR: TTT; the storyline, the acting, the beautiful artistry of the landscapes, creatures, etc...

Gollum / Smeagol was absolutely hilarious, sad, conniving, hateful - you name it, he conveyed all emotions.

Gollum is the best CGI character without a doubt, full stop. Better than any Star Wars CGI character, Jar Jar, Yoda, etc... (god this feels like blasphemy).

I can understand now why New Line Cinema wants Gollum to be nominated for a Best Supporting Actor award.

8. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I appreciate everbody's views. We all seem to have liked it. When isn't CGI technology noticable though? I can tell it every where from characters to the sky and horizon at times. I don't think it has come to the pint of fooling people totally yet.
    I think some of the acting was good and some token.
    But to say this is the best movie (even fanstasy movie) ever made , I cannot agree with sorry.

9. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    To be frank, I still need time to totally comprehend how good TTT was.

The age-old paradox with movies, is the hype vs. actuality scenario.
    Great movies, can appear pathetic if they don't live up to their hype, and run-of-the-mill movies can look good, original and powerful when they are underrated in critiques.

The Two Towers came with hype similar to that of Attack of the Clones - comparisions between the two franchises are enivitable.

And I'm afraid to say, TTT shows how dissapointing and - dare I say it? - pathetically trite AOTC was.

THe Star Wars franchise as a whole - I agree - is far superior to even Tolkiens world, interpreted here by Jackson. But as far as the prequels in SW go, LOTR is winning by a country mile.

The laughable attempt by Lucas to create a dynamic or love story between Anakin and Padme were the epitome of cringe, and the beauty of Tolkien's love story in TTT showed it how TRUE romance can be incorporated into an epic.

An epic also needs humour, to lighten the dark mood occasionally.
    Lucas gives us quirky sounds in Williams score matched with trite one-liners and Jar-Jar's "comic" relief to provide this. Hoorah.

Jackson allows the wonderful dynamic between Legolas and Grimli to blossom in contrast, a wonderful masterstroke, reinforced by the hysterical Gollum / Smeagol split scripting.

Battle Scenes are comprable, with the Clone War and the infamous "Yoda" and "Anakin with two blades" scenes still hallmarks in cinema for 2002, but Jackson matches stroke for stroke with the 10000 strong Urak-Hai horde advancing on the remnants of Rohan, in an epic battle if ever there has been one.

Sound? Again, comprable, with LOTR losing nothing to Williams now tired and un-original sounding AOTC soundtrack.
    Acting? Hayden "somebody get me a personality and make it look like I'm happy to have this gig" and Natalie "I'm going to deliver each line as if I'm complimenting myself in an interview" are surely deserving of some praise, but the true fury and intensity of the LOTR cast surely outdo them.

TTT for me, is the movie of the year, by far. It shows Lucas what an epic based off an existing franchise/story SHOULD look like, and hopefully the flanneled one can take heed of the lesson before Episode III.

I MUST go and see it again....

10. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    As blasphemous as it may seem ( :p) I agree with PoT on just about everything he just said.

11. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    could u people please show some respect for other peoples opinions.

Just because u didn't like AOTC, and u say it's "trite", doesn't mean everyone else shares ur view.

If u think star wars is "trite" why are in even in this forum?

12. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    That is simply one man's opinion, abbot. Just because he feels AOTC is "trite" doesn't mean he thinks the same of every other Star Wars movie. Indeed, I too hope AOTC pales in comparison to TTT, for I haven't yet seen it. If it does, then Two Towers is truly a magnificent, if not great, movie.

13. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    i am merely pointing out, that everyone has a different opinion,

mine is obvisouly very different from yours.

14. Jet-Eye

Jet-Eye Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    Dude, since when did we NOT respect other's opinions? Each 'post-er' already had respect for each others' opinions, if you get what I mean. If anything, you should respect others' opinions and not have a teary if someone says something that you don't necessarily agree with! ;)

Instead, come up with a fiery, passionate argument about how great Star Wars 2 is, or something along those lines!

Nothing like a bit of passion, eh, PoT?

15. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I think everybody here has been cheerfully expressing their own opinion with respect to others. Can't we all live in peace?

I am also still soaking up TTT and thinking beyond the flashing glare of SFX and onto the the realm of scinematic worth.

16. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Look, to be frank JE, passion warms the cockels of my calcutta, if you get my drift. ;)

Now Abbot, I must point out something here, in my defense.
    You said that I somehow "disrespected" your opinion in my oration. I would ask you my friend, to post proof of such an infringement, before you accuse me of such a thing.

Now, at this forum, we pride ourselves on getting along and all being friendly, and to my knowledge nothing has changed that. If you have something to say, by all means, say it!
    But the only "disrespect" that I can fathom from this thread, is that someone felt the need to make a personal attack on another VicFFers post, and posting style.
    Poor Form I should think.

Now let's all have our say, act civilly, and not turn this into some wishy-washy american soap opera or Dr. Phil episode. (Whose a great bloke, btw)

17. laifir

laifir Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    I am officially in love with this film. It was awesome!
    And I'm so happy Peter put so much detail into the aragorn-arwen story, I think it gives the film a very nice touch.
    To tell the truth lately I've started to like LOTR a hell of a lot more than SW.

18. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Once again Laifir I say watch the movie "Bad Taste" and see Peter at his roots, and also witness his acting as Derek the Alien killer.

19. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    I'd have to agree with Pot on the whole romance issue. AOTC romance scenes were like watching Days of our Lives. Quite frankly the romance in Neverwinter Nights was more gripping with a couple of 3D characters waving their heads about saying "when its all over we may have a chance".

And once again to all out there go back to PJ's beginnings as Mixo said - watch Bad Taste.

20. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Yes "Bad Taste" will answer all the answers you need to know about Peter Jackson, then move onto "Meet the Feebles" and "Brain Dead"!

21. DarkJediTJ

DarkJediTJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 26, 2000
    I liked it.

22. Jedi_Jess

Jedi_Jess Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    It was awesome. I did not see the first one till about 2 months ago on dvd. I was not overly impressed. But seeing this one on the big screen was amazing. It was also a quality movie.

23. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    But have you seen "Bad Taste"! It is awesome!

24. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Which is great.

25. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    Awesome Bad Taste is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.