main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC LOTR2-What did you think?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithLord-Mixo, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Then watch "Meet the Feebles", you will never look at Muppets the same again!

2. Shoveler

Shoveler Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I have to say I quite enjoyed TTT. I am a huge Tolkien fan but have only seen it once. I'll need to see it a few more times to see what I really thought of it hehe.

Helm's Deep wasn't quite as, hmmm, vicious as I thought it was going to be. Although the feeling I had when seeing Gandalf return at the rising of the sun on the fifth day with the Riders at his back coming down the hill into the Uruk-hai certainly made up for that. That was fantastic! I'm a real moments person when it comes to films.

Another great one was the tear that rolled down Grima's cheek when he beheld the Uruk-hai within the ring of Orthanc.

When we saw the Nazgul on his winged steed again for the first time, that looked a little...funny.

One more thing I didn't really like was the way Jackson seemingly intended Gollum/Smeagol's inner struggle to be humorous in the theatre. If you've read the books you feel sorry for him, he's been through hell and back.

When Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas meet the Riders of Rohan and Eomer says to Gimli, "I would cut your head off if but it were a little higher from the ground" (or something of the sort) it looks great the way Legolas defends his comrades honor by holding his bow in Eomer's face.

But apart from all that I thought the film was pretty darn good. And I cannot wait for the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Helm's Deep was nothing compared to what that is going to be :D

Shoveler

3. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I agree! But still check out "Bad Taste", funny ha ha!

4. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I must agree with Gatherer :D

It's the best movie I have seen! Gimli's one liners were hilarious. [face_laugh]

Although I still love SW more. ;)

5. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    That goes without saying Jades Fire. ;)

Even if we did like the LOTR franchise better, I would hope none of us would be foolish enough to admit as much in THIS forum. :)

6. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Knowing (at least a little bit) some of the people here, I wouldn't count on that PoT ;)

7. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Ahhh yes it's the old but newly revised arguement, is LOTR better than SW? Just like the tired old "is SW better than ST?" "Yawn".

As always one person will say one thing and another person will say something else and all of a sudden a war erupts. The way around these situations is to present opinions in a well structured and open minded way which can lead into a conversation and not an arguement.

As for one vs the other, well they have completely different backgrounds, I guess if you judge AOTC and TTT as individual films, then to SOME degree TTT may come out on top, but if you stack the whole SW saga next to LOTR, then the end result may be quite different.

LOTR will be an excellent trilogy of films which do the books tremondous justice - and if anything will be classed as the definitive LOTR films (let's hope no one tries to do a remake in 20 years time). However, SW on the other hand was written with a completely different agenda and I think by its very nature, success and longevity, will stand the test of time and its achievement will never to be surpassed by anyone.

The trick is to not think about today, the trick is to think about yesterday and tomorrow to get a clearer picture.

As for LOTR (TTT) being the best fantasy "movie" ever??? No I think that mantle will always go to the Wizard of Oz.

Gotta think outside the box.

Thus ends my rant.

8. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Hear Hear Dags. A nicely rounded comment. It is impossible to compare Rings to Star Wars.
    It is like comparing most of the top 10 highest money earning movies of al time to classic and well made movies!

9. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Did anyone notice Peter Jackson's cameo in LOTR01? It was a classic

10. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Ah shucks guys, Uncle Dags is right!

Let's put aside the "did TTT make AOTC look bad" arguement for now.

Instead, I intend to hijack this thread and begin a new comparision spurred on by Dags fun lil' speech.

Compare the Wizard of Oz to the LOTR franchise. Taking into account originality, scope, issues raised and dealt with, epic scale, ingenuity and innovation within the industry etc.

Let us carefully consider the rightness of Dags assertion that the Wizard of Oz is a deserving recipient of the title "best fantasy movie ever".

Your thoughts gentleman?

swills a glass of port around thoughtfully as he sits back in his chair and ponders this and other universal questions.

Oh crickey it's late. I should stop talking before it all comes out in latin or something. ;)

11. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    When Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas meet the Riders of Rohan and Eomer says to Gimli, "I would cut your head off if but it were a little higher from the ground" (or something of the sort) it looks great the way Legolas defends his comrades honor by holding his bow in Eomer's face.

Yes, this is exactly how it is in the book!

I was flicking through the book the other night, and was really impressed that most of the dialogue in the film is word-for-word of what is in the book!

The LOTR, in my opinion, is a hard read at times, however, I believe that the movies GREATLY compliment the book, as now you have something to visualize... characters looks and their voice, settings, etc...

12. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    YES!

Peter Jackson had a cameo in 'The Fellowship of the Ring' - he was briefly seen in Bree... but I haven't heard anyone else mention yet, in any thread that I have read, that Peter Jackson also has a cameo in 'The Two Towers'... he is seen in the battle of Helm's Deep... he opens up a small window type thing and throws out a rock, or something like that.

13. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    In Bree he was a drunkard out in the rain as they enter the town.

Has anyone here seen him as Derek in "Bad Taste"?

14. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001

I must admit that I have struggled to get through the book! :(

I just can't seem to make any progress before it bores me.

15. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    The obvious question now: Where will Peter feature in ROTK? ;)

16. -BENDER-

-BENDER- Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2003
    PJ also appeared as a pierced punk wearing a Grim Reaper T-shirt in The Frighteners.

I also have to say that I loved TTT but I thought TPM was much better.

17. The_Shadow88

The_Shadow88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    TPM... The Phantom Menace??
    That movie sucked big time. Boring storyline and 2d characters spoiled it for me.

AOTC was a pretty good though, but I'll cast my vote with TTT besting them both. The Star Wars saga in all probably beats Tolkein's though.

18. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Really it is like comparing Jerry Lewis to Dean Martin!

19. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    Has anyone tried playing the album 'Dark Side of the Moon' side by side with the film 'The Wizard of Oz'?

I haven't myself, but apparently the album fits so well (so well in fact that its been suggested that that's what was in mind when Pink Floyd created it) to give such a dark mood to Oz.

20. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Did Peter Jackson have a cameo in Braindead, I can't remember, have only seen it once, which was about 5 years ago.

21. -BENDER-

-BENDER- Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2003
    I'm pretty sure he was a customer in the corner store at some point.

I just picked up a DVD rip (yes, a DVD rip) of TTT and watched it again. It is good but I still like star wars more.

22. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Not sure about "Brain Dead". I have not seen it for a while either.

But as Derek, he was awesome.

23. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    PoT.... Uncle Dags??? Well actually I've been an Uncle since around 1976 can you believe.

Anyway, it's just great to know that I still have the ability to get people to rethink their thoughts and contemplate the broader meaning of things.

A good time to "unlearn what you have learned".

One thing to consider when looking at LOTR and SW. As we know, there is still one more film in each trilogy to go. Where SW has the upper hand is that if as of today neither film is made, then you can just turn to the ROTK novel to find the solution to LOTR. But if EIII is not made, then we will never REALLY know what happens with Anakin, Padme, Dooku, the fall of the Jedi, et all and the speculation will go on forever.

So despite the richly deserved success of LOTR #1 and 2, in my view, EIII is the movie to SERIOUSLY hang out for because without it, we will just NEVER know the truth.

Thus ends my rant..... again.

24. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    EIII will be awesome.

25. The_Shadow88

The_Shadow88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    Fingers-crossed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.